Telma Ortiz's Case Against the Paparazzi Press: April 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
La Monarquia

private life?
It is not member of the Royal Family, never will be it. the day that SAR Don Felipe de Borbón is proclaimed King of Spain under the name of Felipe VI , and for that reason her wife, Queen of Spain, Telma Ortiz will happen to be of the Family of the King, who nonRoyal Family

La Monarquia

private life?
It is not member of the Royal Family, never will be it. the day that SAR Don Felipe de Borbón is proclaimed King of Spain under the name of Felipe VI , and for that reason her wife, Queen of Spain, Telma Ortiz will happen to be of the Family of the King, who nonRoyal Family

Not, I don´t believe it. Nowadays the Family of the King, they are the nephews of the King, the children of the Infantas, and as much the children of the Infante Don Carlos. Family of the King is applied to the family of the King by link of blood, not to the family-in-law.

I agree with you lula. Thelma was not born into this life. While I understand that some people may be interested in Letizia's family because Letizia is the future Queen, I think that the press takes it too far. Unlike many celebrities who are hounded by the media, Thelma has never willing put herself in the public eye. As far as I know the only "official" events she has been to are also personal ones like baptisms.

:previous: same here. If you'll look at it, the Spanish press aren't that much interested in the lives of the Gomez-Acebo and Zurita families, nor with the Greek RF. the way they hound the Ortiz and Rocasolano families is intense, and if nobody stops them, chances are the press will only get bolder.

Not, I don´t believe it. Nowadays the Family of the King, they are the nephews of the King, the children of the Infantas, and as much the children of the Infante Don Carlos. Family of the King is applied to the family of the King by link of blood, not to the family-in-law.

That's right. Telma will not be a member of the King's family, that honor will belong to Elena and Cristina and their families when Felipe becomes King :flowers:. All Telma wants is a similar press code WA and Maxima got in Netherland and Telma is a private citizen unlike the other two. Perhaps someone should advice the court to do some study on the Dutch case :).

Well she is the princess sister and the sister of a future Queen??? What she wants anonymous? That's impossible and she should know that by now!!!She is not act in a correct way. She should colaborate with the press because that is her duty, if Letizia decideds to marry the future Queen of Spain her family is going to suffer the consequences.They were there when the little Infantas were born, they were there when they were baptize, Letizia's family were there so they are a part of Royal family now also, so it is very normal that the press want photos of them, if Telma doesn't want that she should renounce to that family and her sister and that is impossible to do!

Letizia married into the Royal Family, not Telma or anybody else.

They are private citizens and have a right to privacy.

She has to accept a certain public interest but probably not being chased down the street by photographers which is highly unusual anyway. I don't believe any other sibling of a CP has to endure the same. All of them are being photographed, even on casual occasions, depending on the degree of interest of the magazine buyers. Telma's case has certainly gotten out of hand and they should reduce it to the "normal" media treatment that siblings of royals usually receive. Why there is so much interest in her life in Spain remains a mystery to me.

Why there is so much interest in her life in Spain remains a mystery to me.

Just because she is a woman, beauty, elegant, working for red cross, can be used for atack the princess, there are a lot of tv shows and magazines that need something to tell every day....
Spain don´t have any interest, the press is who make to someone in a celebrity.

Last edited:
MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

It hardly happened one week ago. A well-known journalist of a Madrilenian newspaper was called by the Prince from Asturias to his house. He wanted to chat with on a recent trip in which they had agreed. The professional surprised one went to the residence of the Princes in the Zarzuela and maintained a conversation protocolic, but full of gestures of gift confidence Felipe. It seemed that the thing did not have major importance until, when they had been about 20 minutes, it appeared Letizia Ortiz “to salute” but it sat down with them.

MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

Telma Ortiz Rocasolano presented/displayed, through its legal representatives, in the Court of First Instance number of the 3 Toledos a request insisting to one thirty of mass media so that “they abstain to catch, to publish, to distribute, to spread, to emit or to reproduce by means some images or snapshots” hers or of its pair, Enrique Martin Llopis.
The citation, that was the past emitted 1 of April, agreed directly with the rejection of magistrada to the pretension of Ortiz and its fianc2e of that those measures were adopted without giving hearing to the parts, that is to say, and without listening to the version of the demanded ones.

Last edited:
This one is the valor of the Spanish press, they attack and try to involve the Princes in a history, but they are not it necessarily brave to give the name of these supposed journalists...Surprise!!!...:whistling: Certainly, bearing in mind that the same week the same digital newspaper said that the Princes had returned to Madrid when still had a day of visit to Polonia ... it does not offer credibility.

Tomorrow we will see that it happens. The irresolute press is " in foot of war ", but the most serious press wants to be kept a bit to the margin... I believe that any a bit intelligent and respectful person knows that the means that there uses this press of harassment, pursuit and constraint, are not acceptable, and probably it is a time of which they one puts brake. Since the denunciation is known, from some means, instead of accepting the legitimate right of a person to defend her rights in the eyes of the law (it seems that the rights only the press has them but not the rest of persons), they have devoted themselves to compel to Thelma and her family.

The Princes have always been in contact with representatives of various sectors of the society to know what was happening in the outside world, people's opinions and etc. It's perfectly normal that they want to hear the opinions of some media heavyweights on Telma's lawsuit. At the end of the day, neither the opinion of the Princes or the journalists matters, only the ruling of the judge counts.
Telma is not the only one sueing the media, a son of Duchess of Alba just won a lawsuit.
ABC.es: gente-ocio - gente - Un juez prohíbe a Antena 3 informar sobre la vida privada de Cayetano Martínez de Irujo

Last edited:
MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

It hardly happened one week ago. A well-known journalist of a Madrilenian newspaper was called by the Prince from Asturias to his house. He wanted to chat with on a recent trip in which they had agreed. The professional surprised one went to the residence of the Princes in the Zarzuela and maintained a conversation protocolic, but full of gestures of gift confidence Felipe. It seemed that the thing did not have major importance until, when they had been about 20 minutes, it appeared Letizia Ortiz “to salute” but it sat down with them.

MonarquÃ*a Confidencial

Telma Ortiz Rocasolano presented/displayed, through its legal representatives, in the Court of First Instance number of the 3 Toledos a request insisting to one thirty of mass media so that “they abstain to catch, to publish, to distribute, to spread, to emit or to reproduce by means some images or snapshots” hers or of its pair, Enrique Martin Llopis.
The citation, that was the past emitted 1 of April, agreed directly with the rejection of magistrada to the pretension of Ortiz and its fianc2e of that those measures were adopted without giving hearing to the parts, that is to say, and without listening to the version of the demanded ones.

Could someone explain the two articles in clearer English? I couldn't understand the above. Thanks.

Highpriestess, a short sumary: As you problably know Thelma Ortiz has take a legal action against 30 press medias.
It seems that the Princes of Asturias have been talking with some journalis to know their opinion about this.

Telma Today arriving at tribunal in Toledo.

http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20080512/7224fdb33de8cg.jpg
http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20080512/7224fdb33de8cg.jpg
http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20080512/7224fdb37aa86g.jpg

Last edited:
Telma looks like Paloma now. A pity she cut her wonderful hair.

It is sad that it has come to this absurd situation and had to go this far. No matter the outcome, it's not good for Telma, Letizia or the SRF. It's not a surprise that the Princes are worried and they should be. When attacked, the media usually close their ranks, they don't like to be devided into good or bad journalists. It's not only the hardcore paparazzi that are being accused but the mass media in general and not all of them are abusive. I don't believe that Telma will fully succeed regarding herself as she's a public person at least to a minor degree which should have been respected by both Telma and the media in the first place, this is the way is usually goes in other royal families with in-laws.

The problem is that the reality in Spain in which all the means that they dedicate to certain type of press are improper. The fault is of the agencies that do the photographies, but also of the televisions that emit them and the magazines that publish them knowing that these images have been obtained by means of harassment and pursuit. And there, the reality is that in Spain few ones are saved ... The limits have been exceeded, and the reality is that they are few ones those who have not succumbed to this lucrative business .. included the most serious newspapers, which in its sections of society, in occasions are left to drag for the tide (they are excluded from the lawsuit).

In Spain, a serious problem has been created concerning the respect of the intimacy of the persons, and is so serious that some persons, included the journalists, agree like normally and logically to sell the life deprived of the persons, and to harass and to compel. The problem is that around it there has been created a powerful business that moves money, and that the judges are not capable of giving unanimous answers before this problem.

The serious journalism is cautious in this topic, because they know that the actitud of certain press it is not legitimate.

I think Telma has made very bad by starting this action in the court!!! She didn't respect her sister!!! She should had been advise that things were going to be this way and when Princess Letizia married Prince Filipe everyone in the family should know that this would happen and they should be prepar for that!!! For gosh she is the sister of the future Queen of Spain, what she wnats?Anonymous???????????????????That's impossible and she should know by now that and she must know how to dela with things!!!! To me that was a terrible disrespect for the Royal family!!!

An article from 20minutos, in which it is said that in case Telma and Enrique lose the case they might have to pay 50.000 euros. I sure do hope they win and can live in some privacy. All citizens who are not public persons have a right to privacy, so should they! Being the sister of the future queen does not make you a public person. If they take an occasional photo of them in the company of her sister for example (or any member of the royal family) than it's fine, but it goes way too far to follow them around continuously.
Does anyone know when the decision will be taken?
Anyway, here's the article: Si se desestima su demanda, Telma Ortiz podría tener que pagar al menos 50.000 € - 20minutos.es

I think Telma has made very bad by starting this action in the court!!! She didn't respect her sister!!! She should had been advise that things were going to be this way and when Princess Letizia married Prince Filipe everyone in the family should know that this would happen and they should be prepar for that!!! For gosh she is the sister of the future Queen of Spain, what she wnats?Anonymous???????????????????That's impossible and she should know by now that and she must know how to dela with things!!!! To me that was a terrible disrespect for the Royal family!!!

I disagree. No other sibling of any crown princesses has to go through what Telma does, not even Diana's sibs. They go to great lengths to get her photos: block her car for photos, chase her down the street with a camera and a mic, even around her house, follow her to Cape Verde and Indonesia, and so on; how is that normal? I really don't understand why they're so obsessed with her and now I believe it has reached a point of harassment. She's not a celebrity but a private citizen and being the Princess's sister still does not give them the license to do that. If a non-celebrity makes magazine covers, or landing in the 100 sexiest list, or newspapers like El Mundo and El Pais giving space to write about her humanitarian work then there's something wrong there, don't you think? I don't think she's asking to be anonymous at all, but you have to agree that the press and the paparazzi have taken this way out of hand.

To paraphrase a quote in the Philippines: Only in Spain, only in Spain.

PERHAPS within years we study in Spain the case Telma Ortiz. I feel specially near a person who has decided to face fifty means of the powerful pink press and she produces special solidarity to me when I intuit that she does thinking about its sister, in whom she does not live in the Palace of the Zarzuela but in the other, the one that could not support the pressure. It is hour to unmask those personages who live on chismorrear on the other people's lives and try to protect themselves in the fundamental right to the freedom of information. Then no. When the Constitution protects the freedom of information and establishes its preference on the rights to the honor or to the privacy it does for the sake of a free and informed public opinion, like a basic pillar of a democratic society. It protects to the journalist who investigates corruption networks, with risk of his physical integrity; to who in the open puts badly the operation of the services public or to whom critical to the turn politician. But, what has this to do with the commentaries on the sexual relations of the son of a famous one or the images of one lady who has decided to curl up itself next to I beg? What those chismosos do that win television programs it is in the antipodal ones of the formation of a free and informed public opinion. Therefore, they will be able to count the shames of those who are lent to it, in exchange for often succulent economic amounts, but they must leave those people peacefully whom they love to maintain his privacy. The European Court of Human rights expressed it in the subject on Carolina of Monaco. A public person can be object of attention by mass media when she is in an act witnessed by notary public, but has the right to maintain her life deprived outside the reach of means, when the facts lack public interest. If it summons to us is still more extreme then, unlike Carolina, we are before a public personage to its grief. Telma Ortiz is well-known because she is sister of Princess de Asturias and, evidently, neither can nor wants to stop being its sister, but, simply, it tries to maintain its life deprived outside the other people's knowledge. But most important in this subject it is that this citizen has asked the judge who not report on its private life. The pink press is had customary to pay some fine once in a while, always of inferior quantity to the obtained benefits to spread to a fact or an image the sufficiently non-uniform thing. What now Telma Ortiz requests is not an indemnification but that leaves it peacefully.

Granada Hoy - Telma Ortiz

Erika had been harrassed at the same way as Telma. There were paparazzis stationed outside Erika's apartment 'permanently', as well as her daughter Carla's school. On the day of her death, the two paparazzis outside her apartment claimed that they saw two black Audis (the cars used by Zarzuela). I think the main reason Telma and Enrique decided on the lawsuit was that they could clearly picture being harrassed the same way as Erika in the future.
From the hearing, you can see that the lawyers from the tabloids were very aggressive. In order to win a 'complicated' case, you not only need good lawyers, you need the best lawyers. Anyway, it looks tough for Telma and Enrique.
I like this quote in the Philippines posted by planetcher : Only in Spain, only in Spain :eek:.

To quote from the news article posted previously by LadyFinn:

Lawyers representing the media outlets, however, argue that Ortiz and her companion enjoy a privileged position which deprives them of the status of ordinary citizens.

So this is where the press is anchoring their defense. And this, for me, is highly debatable. Who's to decide when someone is going to become public property? When do you become public property?

Furthermore, the operative word in their argument is "enjoy a privileged position." Have Telma and Enrique asked for it? Did the press readily assume that persons related to a celeb or a royal get an elevated status upon marriage of the said relative? Because in these cases, the lines are either drawn or blurred. To be deprived of their status as "ordinary" citizens, is that for the press to decide? My answer to that is, I don't think so.

i have to blatantly disagree. yes, telma and enrique didn't ask for any special 'privilege'. however, there were some examples that clearly show that letizia's family has taken on some privileges: i remember when erika died, telma and all the ortiz rocasolano family were admitted into the vip area of the airport. this is just one example. this doesn't mean you asked for it, but if you accept it, it's just as if you requested it.

to put it in a simple case: if someone offered me X benefit (money, a piece of jewelry, etc) and i took it, even without requesting, we can safely assume i'm in agreement of whatever that offer implicates (be it being friends forever of the person offering X, exchanging something else, etc).

if telma doesn't want to be a public figure, she should refrain from taking any special treatment or privilege. you can't enjoy the good things of being the princess' sister and then condone the bad ones in court. it's ludicrous in my opinion. either you completely step out, or you completely step in. you can't have one foot inside and one outside, it's either all or nothing.

with this said, i'm not sure what sort of privileges she had exactly, but i remember reading how letizia's family had their own bodyguards and security people. even if this is not true, i reckon they must have got lots of good things from the situation: how ethical or grateful is it then to take the bad ones to the highest level of power?

I don't think it's about accepting or not accepting priviliges and then being stuck with the consequences. Think of Caroline of Monaco for example. She sure has all the priviliges in the world as being a royal, but still the European Court on Human Rights claimed that she (being a public person) has a right to privacy and to be left alone at "private" moments such as going out to dinner. And then only relevent activities regarding her position as princess were considered to be non-private moments at which the press had the right to film her and take pictures.
So, translating that to Erika, who honestly is not a public person and who only has private moments (unless for example her presents at her nieces cristening and things like that) she should be left alone by the press. Maybe studying law makes me look at things too simple sometimes regarding the Caroline decision, but that's just the way I see it. What's the worth to public debate of the images of Telma ariving at the airport, of her and Enrique spending time with his family in Toledo, etc. Absolutely nothing! So the press should really stop chasing her around and back off!

I wonder what motivation is behind all this as it's the same in so many other countries. I am with Carlota, Telma and her family do have advantages and may use them in a silent agreement but this is so normal. Royal siblings in other countries do the same thing much more obvious and nobody cares. I don't want to spread some conspirancy theories but sometimes I think Letizia's family was used by parts of the media to harm the monarchy from day one. They were unexperienced with the spotlight, kind of flattered and played the game - and when they found out that things can turn nasty it was too late. Now the situation is completely out of hand: I doubt Telma will be declared a private person who isn't allowed to be photographed at all and she and her sister will be blamed for a possible downfall of the monarchy. The Kings must be horrified with the situation and I don't believe they have supported the decision to go to court. I do think it's dangerous for the institution that has now become associated with such unpleasant plebeian issues. If Telma succeeds there will certainly be a media backlash on Letizia, if she doesn't, well she better leaves the country to escape the ridicule - good for her, she's free to go whilst her older sister will have to endure it behind the palace walls.

Some articles in English:
Sister of Spanish crown princess seeks restraining order against media outlets - International Herald Tribune
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/...princess-seeks-protection-from-the-media.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom