Spanish Introductory Visit to the Vatican: June 30, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So as many predicted - just a white business suit for Letizia. She does look very elegant. It is a pity that this new Pope is much more relaxed on protocol it would have been great to see Letizia in full white dress

Not 'just a white business suite'...
Have you seen the embroidery on the bottom of the sleeves and front? It's only visible on some pictures as it is white on white, e.g. on the one where she is shaking hands with the Pope. BTW interesting that her handshake is so different from Felipes.

Great in White and great embroidery....
Both are looking great... but agree, a mantilla even would have been the dot on the i.
But as the Pope is not dramatically keen on etiquette ...... they may have agreed on the "reduced" dresscode before...
BYe Bine

A Catholic modern Queen in white . Perfect !
We have now 3 young Queens Each has their fashion way .

In the pics I saw I didn't notice anything that different between the handshakes....although there was a good pic of Letizia genuflecting and kissing the Holy Father's hand.

I actually like her suit but agree she would of looked nicer with a mantilla.

LaRae

Queen Letizia looks beautiful in white, like her dress :D

Not 'just a white business suite'...
Have you seen the embroidery on the bottom of the sleeves and front? It's only visible on some pictures as it is white on white, e.g. on the one where she is shaking hands with the Pope. BTW interesting that her handshake is so different from Felipes.

Good catch. Now I will have to watch and see if she does this often. :flowers:

So as many predicted - just a white business suit for Letizia. She does look very elegant. It is a pity that this new Pope is much more relaxed on protocol it would have been great to see Letizia in full white dress

At least she wore a white suit. Queen Elizabeth II, a Protestant monarch, was wearing a blue (or purple ?) suit when she met pope Bergoglio.

At least she wore a white suit. Queen Elizabeth II, a Protestant monarch, was wearing a blue (or purple ?) suit when she met pope Bergoglio.

Don't you mean Pope Francis? I thought she looked nice.

Only Catholic Queens may wear white when meeting the Holy Father. It's called Privilege of White. Protestant monarchs wear dark colors out of respect/modesty.

LaRae

i was expecting letizia to wear a white mantilla, it would have been the perfect opportunity to showcase a piece that spain does to perfection!

And the reported reason for that was that the Pope requested a less formal meeting without the dress requirement. This is a content, rather than context focused Pope. I find that exciting.

In the pics I saw I didn't notice anything that different between the handshakes....although there was a good pic of Letizia genuflecting and kissing the Holy Father's hand.

I actually like her suit but agree she would of looked nicer with a mantilla.

LaRae

I agree. Letizia looks so completely stunning in both a mantilla and the traditional Spanish headdress...I cannot think of the name but it starts with a "p"?

Disappointed to see yet again, another break with a beautiful tradition but Letizia looked as beautiful as always.

His Holiness seems to have put on a considerable amount of weight.:ohmy:

Last edited:
What a lovely cordial and warm meeting with Pope Francis,I thought Letizia looked very lovely in her white suit.

I agree. Letizia looks so completely stunning in both a mantilla and the traditional Spanish headdress...I cannot think of the name but it starts with a "p"?
We call the whole headdress "mantilla", but I guess you mean the "peina", more commonly called "peineta", which is the piece that holds the mantilla:
http://multimedia.hola.com/noticias-de-actualidad/2011/03/30/novias-peineta-imagenes.jpg
http://www.hola.com/imagenes/novias...omo-ponerse/0-173-262/novias-peineta-07-a.jpg

And the reported reason for that was that the Pope requested a less formal meeting without the dress requirement. This is a content, rather than context focused Pope. I find that exciting.

And refreshing, although I do miss the more formal dress for a woman at these meetings, and as has been said, Letitzia does look amazing wearing the mantilla. Oh well...

What were the gifts exchanged and did His Holiness give Their Majesties anything for the Girls? Isn't Leonor's First Communion coming up? I can't see that not being mentioned in the prep for the visit by The Vatican Staff or perhaps even as the three of them were chatting and the Pope asking about how the Infantas were doing w/all the changes that have happened in their lives. Just wondering if maybe in honour of that coming up, perhaps a small Bible blessed by Pope Francis for example, if anything had been prepared as gifts for them.

That picture linked up there is indeed lovely.

Now the Needleworker/Embroider in me wants an up close and clear look of the Embroidery on Letitizia's jacket. I can only do Blackwork (All stitching in one colour is called that regardless of the colour used.) if the fabric I'm stitching on is a medium to dark-ist colour and even then not for long because of eye strain, but white on white!?!

*shudder*

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I would love to see her in mantilla, it s a pitty, il like those kind of traditions. Anyway, somehow she used the "privilege du blanc" didn't she?

Back
Top Bottom