Spanish Introductory Visit to the Vatican: June 30, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She looks very elegant in the pics from the older visit to H.H. Pope John Paul II.

LaRae

Of course mantilla etc gives more to discuss for us :D but I wonder why F&L had their first audience with JPII in full gala wear as he received the Kings in business outfits, as the pictures show. The visit in 2004 was labelled 'private audience' as well.

This talk about missing the mantilla gives the impression that people see it as Letizia's fault. The new pope is known about more relaxed dress code. Letizia looked fabulous in her white outfit.
And speaking about the dress code, queen Sofia with the Pope in Vatican in 1998 and 2005.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
This is interesting. It seems that the "relaxed dress code" is not a Pope Francis thing...

H.H. JPII wasn't known for his formality either but she was in more formal dress at that meeting. I understand why she wasn't wearing white since she wasn't a monarch...but she did wear the mantilla then.

LaRae

H.H. JPII wasn't known for his formality either but she was in more formal dress at that meeting. I understand why she wasn't wearing white since she wasn't a monarch...but she did wear the mantilla then.

LaRae

And also it was Letizia's first meeting with the Pope as Princess of Asturias.

Was this meeting her first meeting with HH pope Francis?

LaRae

The difference is the nature of the visit, if it is more political or religious.

This is a meeting between a Head of State who is the head of the Catholic Church, and the Head of a secular yet traditional and largely Catholic state. So the dress code is more of a political meeting.

When the meeting has a religious content or includes a religious ceremony, the protocol changes. On their first visit, following a tradition of the Spanish royal family, the Pope give his blessing to the marriage and they visited St. Peter's Basilica and prayed at his tomb. A very traditional and religious visit.

Not the same box for the King and the Queen .
Red boxes for the guests and one extra more the Pope took himself .
Perfect King Felipe VI.

Only Catholic Queens may wear white when meeting the Holy Father. It's called Privilege of White. Protestant monarchs wear dark colors out of respect/modesty.

LaRae

If the protocol had been observed, Queen Elizabeth II would have worn a black dress and a veil, not purple and a hat.

My point was that the Pope relaxed protocol for both royal visits.

Yes I understand that. I wasn't talking about your point when I made that comment.

LaRae

If the protocol had been observed, Queen Elizabeth II would have worn a black dress and a veil, not purple and a hat.

My point was that the Pope relaxed protocol for both royal visits.

I thought HM wore purple because it was close to Easter and isn't purple one of the colours worn by Clergy for that specific time period of the Catholic/Christian Calendar? I know the are different pieces of ceremonial dress where there are different colours for them to go w/that particular time frame of the Church that our Minister wears. We're United Church of Canada BTW for those wondering. :)

Anyway, I thought that information had been released so people would know why HM was in purple for the visit.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I thought HM wore purple because it was close to Easter and isn't purple one of the colours worn by Clergy for that specific time period of the Catholic/Christian Calendar? I know the are different pieces of ceremonial dress where there are different colours for them to go w/that particular time frame of the Church that our Minister wears. We're United Church of Canada BTW for those wondering. :)

Anyway, I thought that information had been released so people would know why HM was in purple for the visit.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I believe you are correct. Purple is the color of Lent (except Ash Wed and Good Friday). Very nice of QEII to give a nod to that by wearing purple.

LaRae

Back
Top Bottom