The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-25-2010, 02:02 PM

Spaniards and Princess Letitzia

I have Spanish friends who say that the Princess of Asturias is not universally liked or approved of in Spain and I wonder if anyone on this forum agrees and if they do, knows why ? Perhaps it's just the usual gossip.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

i generally tend to stay away from generalisations, you will find people everywhere who dislike and like her. i think most people certainly appreciate letizia's closeness to the public and believe that she is modernizing monarchy, since she is a divorcee and proves to have had a succesful career beforehand (ie, she didn't just sit and wait to marry well). i believe she is seen as someone who is down to earth. people look up to her, how she dresses, what she does, where she goes and her life is certainly very followed by the media. if the media covers it so much, it is because letizia definitely sells - and this is purely because of the interest of the spanish people on her. if people wouldn't care, they would certainly ignore her, but this proves to not be the case.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM

I agree that she always looks stunning.. if worryingly thin. But it was just such a strong comment by friends in Catalana that I wondered how true it was. If she does a lot of things with the public and works hard then she's obvioiusly a fine role model as well as being beautiful.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Royalty is not interesting to people in general, except when there is an important event or when they want to complain about the money they pay to keep the royals. So imo Letizia is not a role model to anyone neither is any of the other members of the SRF. When I ask the opinions of my friends most of them they say that she is ok as a princess but if you ask them what she does, no one knows anything.

Catalonia (not catalana) has a strong separatist movement and the SRF family has not been accepted since the Borbones came to the throne so... really it's not surprising that they don't like her.

Letizia has an advantage: she is spanish; if she had not been she would not have been accepted very well, Eva Sannum was not a divorcee and it's difficult to find someone that liked her.

Imo the most accepted of the prince's girlfriends was Isabel Sartorius and still is.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Spain is a country where people like the gossip, and generally we are envious enough with those that turn into important persons, more if they have humble origins ... it happens with sportsmen, actors, singers... often they triumph out and are very criticized in Spain. Any woman who had been Princess of Asturias would have been aim of critiques, always there had been a reason. It is a very difficult position, and the spanish always were going to be demanding with this person.

Queen Sofia received many critics when she arrived to Spain, she had born Princess, but they were criticizing her for being a foreigner, for having another religion, for being too serious and cold ... many years passed until she managed to be the love and respected queen that is today.

Like Carlota has said, the Princess is a personage who interest very much, for the good thing and for the bad thing, and it is better that she does not interest. She is doing her work well, the yellow press critiques her for many absurd things, because there are neither important things nor mistakes to criticize her.

The surveys are favorable with her, and as the years pass and her role is more important, people estimate her more.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

just as an example of my statemen on how letizia sells, i just read an article in spanish newspaper el mundo which mentions that felipe varela's sales increased by 225% from 2007 to 2009 because of being letizia's tailor.

http://elmundo.orbyt.es/2010/06/26/e...277507629.html
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
just as an example of my statemen on how letizia sells, i just read an article in spanish newspaper el mundo which mentions that felipe varela's sales increased by 225% from 2007 to 2009 because of being letizia's tailor.

El mago modisto que realza a Letizia | El MUNDO en Orbyt.. | EL MUNDO en Orbyt.
Now, she definitely sells. Some of us like her some don't but generally I think the people like her. You can see the crowd when they have acts. People line up to greet her. I for one like her because she's an accomplished woman before she married into royalty. Even if she didn't marry CP Felipe, I still believe that her success in journalism will continue. She has the package to boot.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM
Nobility

I believe that was true in the beginning but she has come a long way, after six years of marriage, the Princess has worked very hard to be an important part of the monarchy and represent the Spanish people.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post

El mago modisto que realza a Letizia | El MUNDO en Orbyt.. | EL MUNDO en Orbyt.
They may like the clothes, but not necessarily her. I love the way she dresses, but I don't think she is as close to the people or as nice as they make her. I love Christina but I don't like the way she dresses...maybe it does not make sense, but it is just an opinion.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Aristocracy

I don't know...considering the pictures of her appearance at various events in different places we can see a lot of people who are cheering for her (and Felipe). I didn't see any other CP-ss who attracts so many people outside.
I am sure that are a lot of people who don't like her or her way to dress but general opinion (IMO due to my travel from Barcelona to Palma) is that she is doing a good job.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Commoner

A lot of people awaits to see the princess, particularly retirees, or the school children.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Courtier

No one can EVER please 100% of the people all the time. It is human nature to make judgements [good or bad] on someone that is in the media whether political or in entertainment. Most people like to "pull people down' with their comments as it gives them a feeling of superiority. If they did it to be useful, that is OK but most don't. If Letizia was their family member and they could gain from their association with her [even if she did not change a hair] they would be falling all over her with admiration.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Nobility

Well said Winnie.
I've been noticing how harsh some comments, even on these forums, can be against Letizia. It can border on just plain cruel, and that's just about her clothing! I know these are only personal opinions, but why the hate? Yikes!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by almee View Post
Well said Winnie.
I've been noticing how harsh some comments, even on these forums, can be against Letizia. It can border on just plain cruel, and that's just about her clothing! I know these are only personal opinions, but why the hate? Yikes!
Yes, it is amazing how they could say so many nasty things about Letizia It is okay not to like a person but one should not say nasty things about this person since they do not even know her at all.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well said Winnie.
The posts are about her clothing, not the person
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Aristocracy

I'm a big fan of Letizia and my friends too. We like her because she is modern and a good wife and mother. I have seen her two years ago. She looked beautiful and was very nice with the people.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

Letizia is a controversial character: anti-monarchists are not going to like her and some old-fashioned spaniards are not going to think she is an adequate choice for a crown princess. Regardless of this she is a extremely popular woman, appearing every week on the magazines, having countless of covers on different magazines and more than one article or special about her on every "serious" newspaper during the year. On the Vanity Fair issue dedicated to Letizia and Felipe it was said she sells 8 times more than the Prince and 20 times more than the King and Queen.
On their 5th wedding anniversary a survey stated that 81,7% of spaniards approved of her and on her 6th wedding anniversary on May a 67,1% of spaniards said she is ready to become Queen consort, a 13% increase from the previous year.
Surveys data from: Informativos Telecinco.com - Los Príncipes de Asturias, cinco años de amor y compromiso institucional
Letizia de Asturias, preparada para ser reina :: Cosas, Una Revista Internacional - Ecuador
Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Well said Winnie.
I completely agree, particularly as if those comments were made about some other princesses they would be deleted by the Moderators. IMO.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:54 AM
Royal Highness

I have read a lot of nasty comments about Letizia. Most are from people that would prefer a republic than a monarchy. Most don´t realize as well, that in a republic not everybody in high places live to people´s expectations. .Most of the criticism is aimed at her being too thin as well as some comments she sometimes makes.Also the fact that for some she has "divided" the SRF.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:49 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Letizia: reina modelo, pero no modélica

Article in Spanish about Letizia and how she was unable to gain the support of the Spanish people and parts of the SRF.