Spaniards and Princess Letitzia

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beanorox

City
London
Country
United Kingdom
I have Spanish friends who say that the Princess of Asturias is not universally liked or approved of in Spain and I wonder if anyone on this forum agrees and if they do, knows why ? Perhaps it's just the usual gossip.

i generally tend to stay away from generalisations, you will find people everywhere who dislike and like her. i think most people certainly appreciate letizia's closeness to the public and believe that she is modernizing monarchy, since she is a divorcee and proves to have had a succesful career beforehand (ie, she didn't just sit and wait to marry well). i believe she is seen as someone who is down to earth. people look up to her, how she dresses, what she does, where she goes and her life is certainly very followed by the media. if the media covers it so much, it is because letizia definitely sells - and this is purely because of the interest of the spanish people on her. if people wouldn't care, they would certainly ignore her, but this proves to not be the case.

I agree that she always looks stunning.. if worryingly thin. But it was just such a strong comment by friends in Catalana that I wondered how true it was. If she does a lot of things with the public and works hard then she's obvioiusly a fine role model as well as being beautiful.

Royalty is not interesting to people in general, except when there is an important event or when they want to complain about the money they pay to keep the royals. So imo Letizia is not a role model to anyone neither is any of the other members of the SRF. When I ask the opinions of my friends most of them they say that she is ok as a princess but if you ask them what she does, no one knows anything.

Catalonia (not catalana) has a strong separatist movement and the SRF family has not been accepted since the Borbones came to the throne so... really it's not surprising that they don't like her.

Letizia has an advantage: she is spanish; if she had not been she would not have been accepted very well, Eva Sannum was not a divorcee and it's difficult to find someone that liked her.

Imo the most accepted of the prince's girlfriends was Isabel Sartorius and still is.

Spain is a country where people like the gossip, and generally we are envious enough with those that turn into important persons, more if they have humble origins ... it happens with sportsmen, actors, singers... often they triumph out and are very criticized in Spain. Any woman who had been Princess of Asturias would have been aim of critiques, always there had been a reason. It is a very difficult position, and the spanish always were going to be demanding with this person.

Queen Sofia received many critics when she arrived to Spain, she had born Princess, but they were criticizing her for being a foreigner, for having another religion, for being too serious and cold ... many years passed until she managed to be the love and respected queen that is today.

Like Carlota has said, the Princess is a personage who interest very much, for the good thing and for the bad thing, and it is better that she does not interest. She is doing her work well, the yellow press critiques her for many absurd things, because there are neither important things nor mistakes to criticize her.

The surveys are favorable with her, and as the years pass and her role is more important, people estimate her more.

just as an example of my statemen on how letizia sells, i just read an article in spanish newspaper el mundo which mentions that felipe varela's sales increased by 225% from 2007 to 2009 because of being letizia's tailor.

El mago modisto que realza a Letizia | El MUNDO en Orbyt.. | EL MUNDO en Orbyt.

Now, she definitely sells. Some of us like her some don't but generally I think the people like her. You can see the crowd when they have acts. People line up to greet her. I for one like her because she's an accomplished woman before she married into royalty. Even if she didn't marry CP Felipe, I still believe that her success in journalism will continue. She has the package to boot.

I believe that was true in the beginning but she has come a long way, after six years of marriage, the Princess has worked very hard to be an important part of the monarchy and represent the Spanish people.

just as an example of my statemen on how letizia sells, i just read an article in spanish newspaper el mundo which mentions that felipe varela's sales increased by 225% from 2007 to 2009 because of being letizia's tailor.

El mago modisto que realza a Letizia | El MUNDO en Orbyt.. | EL MUNDO en Orbyt.

They may like the clothes, but not necessarily her. I love the way she dresses, but I don't think she is as close to the people or as nice as they make her. I love Christina but I don't like the way she dresses...maybe it does not make sense, but it is just an opinion.

I don't know...considering the pictures of her appearance at various events in different places we can see a lot of people who are cheering for her (and Felipe). I didn't see any other CP-ss who attracts so many people outside.
I am sure that are a lot of people who don't like her or her way to dress but general opinion (IMO due to my travel from Barcelona to Palma) is that she is doing a good job.

A lot of people awaits to see the princess, particularly retirees, or the school children.

No one can EVER please 100% of the people all the time. It is human nature to make judgements [good or bad] on someone that is in the media whether political or in entertainment. Most people like to "pull people down' with their comments as it gives them a feeling of superiority. If they did it to be useful, that is OK but most don't. If Letizia was their family member and they could gain from their association with her [even if she did not change a hair] they would be falling all over her with admiration.

Well said Winnie.
I've been noticing how harsh some comments, even on these forums, can be against Letizia. It can border on just plain cruel, and that's just about her clothing! I know these are only personal opinions, but why the hate? Yikes!

Well said Winnie.
I've been noticing how harsh some comments, even on these forums, can be against Letizia. It can border on just plain cruel, and that's just about her clothing! I know these are only personal opinions, but why the hate? Yikes!
Yes, it is amazing how they could say so many nasty things about Letizia It is okay not to like a person but one should not say nasty things about this person since they do not even know her at all.

Well said Winnie.

The posts are about her clothing, not the person:flowers:

I'm a big fan of Letizia and my friends too. We like her because she is modern and a good wife and mother. I have seen her two years ago. She looked beautiful and was very nice with the people.:flowers:

Letizia is a controversial character: anti-monarchists are not going to like her and some old-fashioned spaniards are not going to think she is an adequate choice for a crown princess. Regardless of this she is a extremely popular woman, appearing every week on the magazines, having countless of covers on different magazines and more than one article or special about her on every "serious" newspaper during the year. On the Vanity Fair issue dedicated to Letizia and Felipe it was said she sells 8 times more than the Prince and 20 times more than the King and Queen.
On their 5th wedding anniversary a survey stated that 81,7% of spaniards approved of her and on her 6th wedding anniversary on May a 67,1% of spaniards said she is ready to become Queen consort, a 13% increase from the previous year.
Surveys data from: Informativos Telecinco.com - Los Príncipes de Asturias, cinco años de amor y compromiso institucional
Letizia de Asturias, preparada para ser reina :: Cosas, Una Revista Internacional - Ecuador

Well said Winnie.
I completely agree, particularly as if those comments were made about some other princesses they would be deleted by the Moderators. IMO.

I have read a lot of nasty comments about Letizia. Most are from people that would prefer a republic than a monarchy. Most don´t realize as well, that in a republic not everybody in high places live to people´s expectations. .Most of the criticism is aimed at her being too thin as well as some comments she sometimes makes.Also the fact that for some she has "divided" the SRF.

Letizia: reina modelo, pero no modélica

Article in Spanish about Letizia and how she was unable to gain the support of the Spanish people and parts of the SRF.

Talk is cheap, what the author needs is the actual data and proof. Hispanidad is a website of the ultra right and seems to fall into the ultra right's recent campaign against Letizia, the future of monarchy since the King has been ill. The whole article has a tone of 'hatre', nothing objective. They hate Cibeles so much, they forgot Elena almost went to Cibeles every year to watch the fashion shows.

Talk is cheap, what the author needs is the actual data and proof. Hispanidad is a website of the ultra right and seems to fall into the ultra right's recent campaign against Letizia, the future of monarchy since the King has been ill. The whole article has a tone of 'hatre', nothing objective. They hate Cibeles so much, they forgot Elena almost went to Cibeles every year to watch the fashion shows.

This journalist writes always terrible things against the princess ... it is a machist and a radical... his articles always are the same, only he says barbarities, and lacks objectivity.

Infantas Elena and Cristina had gone to Cibeles Fashion Week, but to support their friends designers, and not to the Spanish fashion. So what precisely does not like author, it is that the Princess has been who has behaved as a member of the Royal Family.

:previous:Journalist? and is he Spanish? Are you sure? Because I wouldn´t expect from a Spanish journalist to write so bad our language...:whistling::whistling:

About the nasty article : if you search on the Internet you'll find this kind of articles about all the Cp-sses of the moment. This means only that there are people who don't like them or worse who hate them for whatever reason.
We are not talking here about the important papers or real journalism.
Now, a good question is why this kind of article are posted only in Letizia's thrad ?

This journalist writes always terrible things against the princess ... it is a machist and a radical... his articles always are the same, only he says barbarities, and lacks objectivity.
Infantas Elena and Cristina had gone to Cibeles Fashion Week, but to support their friends designers, and not to the Spanish fashion. So what precisely does not like author, it is that the Princess has been who has behaved as a member of the Royal Family.
It is awfully annoying to see Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina being dragged into discussions related to Crown Princess Letizia and the public opinion about her. As time goes, Crown Princess Letizia will be the front face of the Spanish royal family. Both Infantas will take a back seat.

It is awfully annoying to see Infanta Elena and Infanta Christina being dragged into discussions related to Crown Princess Letizia and the public opinion about her. As time goes, Crown Princess Letizia will be the front face of the Spanish royal family. Both Infantas will take a back seat.

That's because the article 'dragged' Elena in already, thus the comparison was inevitable. Isn't it more annoying to see such a badly written article from the internet gutter press getting the visibility here, all the author did was spitting venom, lacked any sort of objectivity ?

That's because the article 'dragged' Elena in already, thus the comparison was inevitable. Isn't it more annoying to see such a badly written article from the internet gutter press getting the visibility here, all the author did was spitting venom, lacked any sort of objectivity ?

Very true, practically all the articles and books that we have seen on the Forum are truly negative, biased and in one case of the latest book, things were fabricated about Letizia. I find it puzzling that in the case of the rest of the European Princesses, there have been books written and very favorable books, but in Letizia's case the opposite is true, in that she has not had any favorable books or any press written of her. Why is she such a favorite target of the media? Do the Spanish people care about the endless negative press? I'm sure that with the hardships due to the economy, they could care less right now.

Very true, practically all the articles and books that we have seen on the Forum are truly negative, biased and in one case of the latest book, things were fabricated about Letizia. I find it puzzling that in the case of the rest of the European Princesses, there have been books written and very favorable books, but in Letizia's case the opposite is true, in that she has not had any favorable books or any press written of her. Why is she such a favorite target of the media? Do the Spanish people care about the endless negative press? I'm sure that with the hardships due to the economy, they could care less right now.

There were favorable books and many favorable press articles, the big four weekly pink press magazines (Hola, Lecturas, Semana and Diez Minutos) in Spain were mostly favorable articles, I would say 70-80% in the press were favorable articles except for certain internet websites or Jaime Penafiel who has been relatively quiet recently. However, this forum is not for articles, most posts were pictures, posters are mainly interested at fashion, thus very few press articles were posted here, of course, when there were unfavorable articles or news, they were posted here ;).

'La arrebatadora Letizia'
From the pages of glamorous gossip ('Hello') to the issue of national or regional newspapers, praise and epithets to the Princess after her visit to Leon have exceeded all forecasts.

It's sad to say but people that are miserable or who want to make themselves feel better often attack someone else. Stuff that I've seen or read about various Princesses in Europe usually are positive although some of them over the years have taken some rather harsh criticism. However, it seems like Letizia at least in recent months has been attacked relentlessly (much more so than others).

Back
Top Bottom