The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-07-2015, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Well, it is more and more evoluing to a President Borbón and a First Lady Ortiz, to my purely personal humble opinion but others may argue "Well, that is modern monarchy". If everything which sticks a bit out of the surface has to be trimmed away, well, why not directly go for a republic then?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Transparency of this type is good, and I am glad this has been put in place.
I certainly agree. The more secrecy in any government can only hide many things and trouble. I did not realize that Spain was not an official Catholic Nation. For some reason I just was under the impression that it always was. Thanks all for information.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
... or the couple will be provided with a Trust Fund they can live off.
correct. Plus, I am sure upon the deaths of grandparents and parents, stipends will be indicated for Sofia from their wills and she will never have to worry about her next meal. Won't cost the Spanish government or citizens a cent. Happens in all royal families.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to several media, the Royal House is preparing a reception at the Royal Palace for the first anniversary of the proclamation of King Felipe.

El primer aniversario de la proclamación del Rey Felipe VI -- Mujerhoy.com --

King Juan Carlos held for many years his name day on June 23. In the first years with a big party in the gardens of the Royal Palace, after a private recepcion to higher authorities at Zarzuela Palace, and in recent years he canceled the celebrations. It was also traditional that at that time he grant military decorations.

King Felipe has decided not to celebrate his birthday or name day and celebrate the day of his proclamation.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

It would be great if this becomes an annual event as JC's name day used to be.

And doing the receptions at El Campo del Moro would be fntastic and a way to differenciate this special day from other receptions during the rest of the year (12 October for instance), although I doubt they will do it there.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 06-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Majesty

If so, it really makes more sense to celebrate a proclamation day that a name day IMO...
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM
Commoner

Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Serene Highness

Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizier View Post
Is the new king still creating new noble titles? His father created several dozen new ones during his reign, mostly marquesses. Spain is one of very few countries (along with Belgium and I don't know who else) that was still creating new hereditary titles. Is Felipe going to continue this? I could see him deciding it was too old-fashioned. But has there been any announcement?

Is it really up to the King to decide to stop ennobling people? Wouldn't that be a decision for the government to make?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 09-17-2015, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure if King Felipe VI has created any new titles yet or if he will continue creating new hereditary titles,I guess time will tell,he has revoked one title so far!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Majesty

And? How is "modern monarchy" with President Borbón and First Lady Ortiz doing? Looking smart and businesslike. Trying to be "modern"? In the meantime in city halls portraits of the King are removed (see link), a member of Parliament demonstratively ripped the Constitution while speaking before the assembly (see link), even officials in Oviedo, Asturias (!) -after fierce protests during the Princess of Asturias Awards ceremony- now discussing because these awards would be "propaganda for the monarchy"...

Old 09-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty

Notable improvement in Spain’s image in the international press

The economic evolution and the activities of the Royal Household, keys in the change, according to Elcano

Particularly significant is the influence of the intensive diplomatic activity by the King and Queen, including their visits to France, Mexico and the Lebanon, which have caused the image of the Royal Household in the English and French speaking press to evolve very positively. In addition, this has led to greater interest in other news on Spain.

Notable improvement in Spain's image in the international press
Old 09-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think Felipe has modernized a lot in the ways things are being done now, something other royal houses have been doing for a long time (using the latest technology, social media, trying to promote women and erase nepotism etc etc) in order to get a better link to their people. They are trying to make it more open, transparent or up to date as opposed to the closed military type of household Juan Carlos still kept, as he's from a different generation.

The question is, will all of this help to make people support an undemocratic institution. Even though Felipe gets good remarks, I don't believe that the figure of the King is bigger than political dynamics. I've said it before, maybe it is Felipe's purpose to give full democracy to Spain and smooth the way for an elected president in the end.
In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.
Old 09-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Gentry

Quote:

I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.
The monarchy is no longer in danger.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaltyPortuguese View Post
I dont see it that way. King Philip VI is very popular and the Royal House is not having all this trouble thinking of a possible fall of the monarchy. That doesnt make sense.
I believe that King Philip VI going to have a long reign and will be succeeded by his daughter, the Infanta Leonor.
Eeeerrrhhhh.... You have missed the one after the other city hall removing all "royal propaganda" (statues, portraits, royal arms, etc.)? You have missed the upcoming regional elections in Catalonia which are used as a starting point for breaking up Spain? You have missed that Member of Parliament demonstratively ripping the Constitution of Spain in the middle of a debate in the Cortes? You have missed the council of Oviedo (capital of Asturias) discussing if and how they should participate in the Premios Princesa de Asturias as they do not want to be seen "collaborating" with the royals? I am curious to know how you came to the conclusion that Don Felipe is "popular" and that the monarchy is not in danger?
Old 09-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
King Felipe it is only a year and something King. So far it has managed to strengthen considerably the monarchy. It is too early to say anything but clearly if properly handle difficult situations and no other scandals then very likely to succeed him as Leonor.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
In any democratic country that choose to not vote to become a republic, the monarchy is part of the democratic form of government. Becoming a republic does not make it any more democratic.
with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Gentry

Quote:
with 'undemocratic' i am referring to people being unable to elect their head of state but have to put up with a person holding this position because of birth right.
For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
For your information, in some republics nor is the people that choose the head of State.
I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I am well aware of that. But at least there is a possibility to get rid of the person after a period of time in case he or she is unpopular or unqualified.

You don't have that chance in a monarchy.
It's not like that. In Portugal, the President of the Republic is unpopular and there is no way to get rid of him, just in elections, but the other candidates are not better than him.

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, new reign, queen letizia, spain