Reign of Felipe VI: How Will Things Be Different?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muriel

Imperial Majesty
City
London / Guildford
Country
United Kingdom
A lot has been said about the reign of Felipe VI representing a fresh start from Spain. I thought it would be useful to have one place where various members could post their thoughts on what they would like to see changed, and how they believe Felipe and Letizia might shape the monarchy going forward.

I am hoping that they will be able to gain back the trust of the people. I think if they show that they really care for Spain and the Spanish people, they will be loved and admired by all. So much bitterness and hatred in the past has now given way to a new start. A new beginning and a renewed hope for the future.

there has to be far more transparency than before. felipe will face the difficult task to convince spaniards that he is useful for the country and earn their trust. expectations are high (maybe too high), a recent poll said that most spaniards want felipe to get more involved into politics where he does not have a mandate for. felipe is a figurehead without political power, yet people expect him to improve things for spain, as they have lost trust in politicians and the old king (who used to have political power to get democracy back on track and afterwards, as a figurehead, lived off his reputation and the respect he had earned on this special time for spain).

there has to be far more transparency than before. felipe will face the difficult task to convince spaniards that he is useful for the country and earn their trust. expectations are high (maybe too high), a recent poll said that most spaniards want felipe to get more involved into politics where he does not have a mandate for. felipe is a figurehead without political power, yet people expect him to improve things for spain, as they have lost trust in politicians and the old king (who used to have political power to get democracy back on track and afterwards, as a figurehead, lived off his reputation and the respect he had earned on this special time for spain).

I completely agree. King Felipe has a difficult task as King of Spain and it is made no less difficult by the fact that politically he is very limited.
It is very interesting indeed to learn that most Spaniards want him to become more involved politically. The distrust of politicians these days seems to be widespread and people are searching for a figurehead who can be trusted and who can act or speak on their behalf. Of-course, this is a shocking irony considering democracy is supposed to be such that the politicians themselves are supposed to be mandated to act and speak on behalf of the people, yet seem rarely to do so.
It is rather a catch 22 situation - but it can be done if the King is careful not to aline himself with basic party politics, rather instead have a veto or influence in areas that the Spanish people are particularly concerned with.
Much is written about the Prince of Wales having to reign in (excuse the pun) his views and involvements when he becomes king - but frankly, I would rather he continued to do so. Politicians lose their way so quickly after being elected, they forget things they say they will do, they make promises which cannot be kept, they change their minds all the time and fundamentally the very nature of a politician is self preservation, which gets in the way of doing right by the people of their nation.
So, the most important thing for Felipe to do is NOT to change himself or change the way he has always done things, to be consistent in all that he does, to avoid controversy, nip problems in the bud, be open, be honest. Through these things he can be trusted and people will have faith in him.

One of the great uses of Monarchy is its ability to see past the usual 5 year electoral cycle, and 'take the long view', of its country, culture and destiny..

I hope and believe the new king will do this as well as being an impartial, honest and trustworthy head of State. In doing so he can beat the politicians hands down, and win lasting loyalty to himself and his throne.

I think the real pressure will come from being seen to be above reproach. And with so many factions, financial and economic issues, seperatists etc., both Felipe and Letizia are walking a tightrope.

Being seen together will help overcome thenegatives about JCs private life and marriage. sophia needs to be seen to support them.

felipe looks statesmanlike and although that might sound trivial, the majority of people will judge him initially by what they see.

they need to get out of the palace and tour the country. I think that should have been the priority over visiting other countries.

I dont follow the SRF normally but I will now just to see how felipe manages this tricky situation.

I completely agree. King Felipe has a difficult task as King of Spain and it is made no less difficult by the fact that politically he is very limited.
It is very interesting indeed to learn that most Spaniards want him to become more involved politically. The distrust of politicians these days seems to be widespread and people are searching for a figurehead who can be trusted and who can act or speak on their behalf. Of-course, this is a shocking irony considering democracy is supposed to be such that the politicians themselves are supposed to be mandated to act and speak on behalf of the people, yet seem rarely to do so.
It is rather a catch 22 situation - but it can be done if the King is careful not to aline himself with basic party politics, rather instead have a veto or influence in areas that the Spanish people are particularly concerned with.
Much is written about the Prince of Wales having to reign in (excuse the pun) his views and involvements when he becomes king - but frankly, I would rather he continued to do so. Politicians lose their way so quickly after being elected, they forget things they say they will do, they make promises which cannot be kept, they change their minds all the time and fundamentally the very nature of a politician is self preservation, which gets in the way of doing right by the people of their nation.
So, the most important thing for Felipe to do is NOT to change himself or change the way he has always done things, to be consistent in all that he does, to avoid controversy, nip problems in the bud, be open, be honest. Through these things he can be trusted and people will have faith in him.
Your comment is something I have been saying for a long time now about my country, USA. There is nothing to trust in my government any more and I and my friends have seen this country change so fast and for the worst ever. Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be because of the politicians who hold office. Yet we are told by all parties that our vote counts, I sure wish someone would tell me how my vote counted in the past? I have one vote out of millions and yet regardless of what party gets in they all end up the same and that also goes for presidents and vice presidents. I don't have an answer on how to fix this problem yet people should read some history because one thing I learned in all my history books is that regardless of whether or not a county is a kingdom, empire or world power they ALL CRUMBLE TO ASHES because of politicians and their lies and crooked ways of stealing from the poor.
sorry if this got off topic, your comment just made me see red again when I hear about a young king who wants to do good for his country and can't and I so wish I had someone like him for my country.

they need to get out of the palace and tour the country. I think that should have been the priority over visiting other countries.

I agree with this. At the end of the day, the street is what matters. People have to find Felipe useful, want to be felt understood. He has to be out and about, touring the provinces should be prio #1

I think there are some interesting points emerging in this discussion. Felipe will need to walk the delicate balance between appearing to be more engaged in the political process without actually compromising his independence and being party political in any way.

I also agree with the posters that F&L should spend some time travelling around the country. Being seen and engaged with people across the country is what is needed, IMO, at a time when the nation is not as united as it could be.

Your comment is something I have been saying for a long time now about my country, USA. There is nothing to trust in my government any more and I and my friends have seen this country change so fast and for the worst ever. Democracy is not all it's cracked up to be because of the politicians who hold office. Yet we are told by all parties that our vote counts, I sure wish someone would tell me how my vote counted in the past? I have one vote out of millions and yet regardless of what party gets in they all end up the same and that also goes for presidents and vice presidents. I don't have an answer on how to fix this problem yet people should read some history because one thing I learned in all my history books is that regardless of whether or not a county is a kingdom, empire or world power they ALL CRUMBLE TO ASHES because of politicians and their lies and crooked ways of stealing from the poor.
sorry if this got off topic, your comment just made me see red again when I hear about a young king who wants to do good for his country and can't and I so wish I had someone like him for my country.

I think what you say is very understandable and shows how important and vital it is that King Felipe as a non-political head of state can navigate through his path with as much trust from as many Spanish people as he can muster.
The speech he made at his proclamation struck such a chord with me and was aimed at all the Spanish people, not just a certain few with political ideals. US presidents have often made just as profound speeches to the American people, but the politics is never too far behind. It is difficult to gain comfort and hope from a figurehead you either don't like or don't agree with, or has different political views or indeed isn't going to stay around anyway beyond the term of office given to him. Poor presidents and prime ministers - you can't change the world (or even your country!) in four or five years whatever your politics are - there isn't time!
God bless America, Long Live the Queen and Vive El Rey!

I will say the first rule is do NOT mess with politics.

I am an American as well, and I am curious why you think why someone who is not voted by the public is more trustworthy than some who is.

I bet the corruption in Spain is much worse than US, their unemployment rate is 25%, ours is 6%. There is no comparison here.

I enjoy watching the royal soap opera from a distance, because I don't need to pay them!

Felipe is already doing what he is supposed to do, working hard to earn the respect of people in Spain and all over the world.

Keep up the good job and one day he will win the hearts back.

This is a good start to a new King and Queen who want to be the monarch of all their citizens. This must be done as King should never turn his back on any of his citizens even if their life style or ideals are vastly different than his own. I applaud his decision.

My thoughts exactly

Will Felipe Continue to Create Noble Titles?

Spain is one of very few countries to still create hereditary nobility, and not just for members of the royal family. I think it is only Spain, Belgium and maybe Luxembourg where this might still happen.

Anyway, is Felipe expected to continue this practice? His father did not ennoble that many people, but I think it was two or three dozen people over the course of his reign, usually given the title of Marquess although occasionally something else, e.g. former Prime Minister Suarez became a Duke and his heir is now Duchess of Suarez.

I could see people thinking this is too old-fashioned, although the new King of Belgium is continuing the practice.

I am an American as well, and I am curious why you think why someone who is not voted by the public is more trustworthy than some who is.

I bet the corruption in Spain is much worse than US, their unemployment rate is 25%, ours is 6%. There is no comparison here.

I enjoy watching the royal soap opera from a distance, because I don't need to pay them!

Our unemployment rate is much higher than 6%, the government fudges the figures. None the less the value of a hereditary monarch is precisely the need to see beyond an election cycle but to take the long view. A King generally wants to leave his country in better shape than he inherited it. The problem with a figurehead King is he can only act behind the scenes. While I would never want a King to be political it would be nice if monarchs had true authority and the final say over things.

I do not envy Felipe, he (nor his father) didn't create the mess Spain is in, the politicians did and by extension the voters, the people themselves. His role is to act as a unifier and referee. God Bless him.

Our unemployment rate is much higher than 6%, the government fudges the figures. None the less the value of a hereditary monarch is precisely the need to see beyond an election cycle but to take the long view. A King generally wants to leave his country in better shape than he inherited it. The problem with a figurehead King is he can only act behind the scenes. While I would never want a King to be political it would be nice if monarchs had true authority and the final say over things.

I do not envy Felipe, he (nor his father) didn't create the mess Spain is in, the politicians did and by extension the voters, the people themselves. His role is to act as a unifier and referee. God Bless him.

Yes he is a very good man and I believe that he will pull the country through this unstable time. He and his wife are such solid good people and it will take time and they will do it.
Part of your comment that I highlighted, reminds me of our country and what has happened to it...............American voters:bang:, should listen up and read their history. :)

Don't follow the family much but I wonder what Spaniards think of Felipe being made king now with all the scandals and economics. Does he have a lot of power to change things? Do you think it should have happened a little sooner or later?

King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.
Spain’s new king opens royal account books - The Local

King Felipe has taken a further step in cleaning up the tarnished image of the country’s monarchy by allowing the royal account books to be audited by an external government agency.
The king made the announcement on Monday as part of a broader set of measures aimed at improving how the Royal House operates.
From 2015, Spain's public service auditors will, for the first time, go through the royal accounts with a fine tooth comb, Spain's ABC newspaper reported.
Monday's announced changes also include a code of conduct for royal staff, and closer oversight of gifts received by the royal family.
Critically, the reforms will also prohibit members of the royal family — King Felipe, Queen Letizia, their daughters Leonor and Sofia, and former King Juan Carlos and his wife Sofia —from working for private companies. Such a move should mean that Spain's royal family does not again find itself embroiled in the type of scandal affecting Felipe's sister Cristina.
Spain's new king has also said the king's household will in future have its own specially dedicated legal team.

Felipe is pushing the right buttons to get the past behind them. The only thing I find difficult and a bit unfair is Sofia jr. being so limited in her future life. Unlike her parents and sister she is destined to leave the royal family at some point (when Leonor becomes Queen), yet she is not allowed to earn her living in a profession of her choice. What is expected of her, to work as a full time royal unless she will be kicked out?

Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

What an amazing man he is, he is doing all the right things to bring the people back and he and his wife are going to be the most dynamic royal couple ever for Spain. I so do admire him and his wife, and even at my age, have a crush on this very handsome prince. Queen Letizia is one very lucky woman to have him for her soul mate! I so look forward to all the wonderful things that they will do and how their children will grow up. They remind me of another royal couple that I so admire, CPV/PD of Sweden..............:heart::)

Although I agree that it might be a bit restrictive for Infanta Sofia in the future, it all depends on what kind of career/profession she would wish to have. Maybe she would do something artistic, maybe something in humanities, maybe she'll be interested in science. Regardless of the path she chooses there is the option of non-profit organizations and NGOs , etc.
Besides there's at least 15-20 years till she starts her career. Maybe it will be water under the bridge til then. Besides, her parents have experienced first hand how subpar behaviour damaged the monarchy and will sure to instill certain guidelines in their daughter(s).

I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.
As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.

I agree very much with your post. As far as things stand today, King Felipe has instilled a strict requirement that members of the royal family must not get involved in private companies. This is a good rule and and is an excellent response to the situation his sister and brother-in-law have found themselves in.

As far as little Infanta Sofia is concerned, I have no concerns or worries about her future career or being restricted as to what she might wish to do, because I trust in her parents decision as being the right one at this time. When she grows up, she will have years of good up-bringing behind her to ensure she chooses a career or role that is in keeping with what is appropriate for the daughter of the king.

If she does decide to pursue a career, could she leave the working Royal Family and renounce her rights to the throne?

Honestly, she's going to grow up knowing the seriousness of what's happened with the scandals in the family.

Truly a MASTERSTROKE ! Bravo to the King, and his advisers.

Back
Top Bottom