Queen Letizia's Working Visit to Portugal: November 7, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain

Visit to "Casa dos Marcos" and meeting with officials of Aliber (Latin American Alliance for Rare Diseases)
Casa dos Marcos. Moita (Portugal)

Closing of the Second Latin American Congress on Rare Diseases
Casa do Marco. Moita (Portugal)

Visit the exhibition "A shared history. Treasures of the Royal Palaces of Spain "
Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation. Lisbon (Portugal)

Maria Cavaco Silva, First Lady of Portugal, working with rare diseases in the country, will also attend the event.

https://www.facebook.com/Rarissimas...0.1415091606./831296936922965/?type=1&theater

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see her making visits on her own.

It's nice to see her making visits on her own.

That's right. Perhaps we may see her take on more of the responsibility of representing Spain abroad. This is especially key as the number of "working" royals in Spain are so few.

indeed, it's nice. she seems to have made more overseas solo visits in the few months she's been queen than in 10 years as princess. at least, i am happy they are upping up her game now that she's queen.

Letizia rocked this visit! Wow her speech in portuguese was very good!:flowers:

Oh well... this puts to an end the false rumours about her not even speaking English:bang::whistling:

Her portuguese was pretty good. Nice of her to give it a try.

Letizia rocked this visit! Wow her speech in portuguese was very good!:flowers:

Oh well... this puts to an end the false rumours about her not even speaking English:bang::whistling:

Of course she speaks English. Letizia did the introduction in portuguese, as she did the intoduction in German in Vienna/Berlin a few years ago. There is a difference between reading a short phonetic text in another language and being able to speak a language fluently. Letizia neither speaks portuguese nor german, but it was a nice gesture.

I think Letizia is better at foreign languages than she is at English, as when I listened to a speech she did in Vienna where she spoke some English, she stumbled in a few places (which is natural given the fact that it isn't her mother tongue). Personally, I think everyone should learn or at least be able to understand some English, as it's a very important language and will get one around just about anywhere in the world these days.

I don't speak the language myself, but I thought Letizia's Portuguese was excellent - she didn't stumble or try to search for words much at all during her speech, and as others have said, it was nice for her to give it a go. I like how she tries to speak the language of the country she is visiting, even if she's not the best at it. Her German was also quite good in Vienna I think, but her Portuguese is better, or at least to me it is. I've heard that Portuguese is quite a difficult language to learn, so for that reason, I give her extra credit for attempting it.

Of course she speaks English. Letizia did the introduction in portuguese, as she did the intoduction in German in Vienna/Berlin a few years ago. There is a difference between reading a short phonetic text in another language and being able to speak a language fluently. Letizia neither speaks portuguese nor german, but it was a nice gesture.

Letizia can't speak German, but she can speak some Portuguese and French. Portuguese is much easier for the Spanish native speakers to learn than English. Felipe has improved his Portuguese the last few years, now he can hold a conversation pretty sell, she probably has learned a bit with him.

I don't doubt that she can speak some portuguese, how do you know she speaks French?

Of course it was nice. Same as when P. William of UK spoke in Welsh. Not brilliant but a wonderful tribute to the area in which he was speaking. Shows thoughtfulness and manners.

i think it's quite brave that she pronounced quite a few sentences in portuguese, as well. i wonder what her pronounciation was like!

I like seeing and hearing Letizia speak. She has this cool calming voice that is very pleasing. You could really see the confidence in her when she stands at that podium. I noticed the same thing with Maxima as well.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

She was seen - on video?

I don't doubt that Letizia speaks a few words of french or portuguese but I doubt she is fluent and can hold a conversantion in either of these languages.

I just find it funny that people are so quick with 'she can speak this or that language'. There were even people claiming that Mary could speak malay when she did an introduction in malay in one of her speeches in Kuala Lumpur. There is more to speaking a language than reading a phonetic text to be able to say 'how are you' etc.

Well, Spanish and Portuguese are similar in a way... So I think she can speak it... Even if no that fleunty...

I wouldn't say Letizia can speak portuguese. From this short speech I noticed: She never took her eyes of the paper.The first part of it, she doesn't seem at ease with language at all, her accents seems really forced, and by the end, when she seems more confortable and takes her eyes out of the paper, she immediately does an error by switching to spanish. She notices it and returns back to read. To me, it indicates that someone helped her writing this little part and told her how to pronounce it and then she repeated over and over again until she memorised it. It's a nice effort but it's not speaking a language.

Learning portuguese is not that easy for a spanish speaker. This idea that because the languages are similar you can learn the other easily is not that straight foward. It makes it easy to understand each other, either when listening or reading in the other language, but speaking is another matter. Speaking is more difficult precisely because the two languages are so similar you have a tendency to switch to your mother tongue without even noticing it and mixing words of both languages. Letizia did that in the speach.

Anyway, it was a nice try.

julliette;1719321 Anyway said:
Exactly. What matters is that she tried and not whether she speaks Potuguese or not.

Bravo for Queen Letizia speaking Portuguese,its the effort that counts as with her recent trip to Vienna where she spoke German,I was very impressed.

She was seen - on video?

I don't doubt that Letizia speaks a few words of french or portuguese but I doubt she is fluent and can hold a conversantion in either of these languages.

I just find it funny that people are so quick with 'she can speak this or that language'. There were even people claiming that Mary could speak malay when she did an introduction in malay in one of her speeches in Kuala Lumpur. There is more to speaking a language than reading a phonetic text to be able to say 'how are you' etc.

The journalists from both countries covering events said Salma and Letizia talked to each other in English and French. I doubt they were debating about serious subjects, thus saying some French on family, kids and charities is not that hard.

Back
Top Bottom