The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Interesting that the Queen of Spain has only one foreign royal order. It was given -by surprise- to Queen Letizia (October 2014, introduction visit to The Hague). As the Crown Order (in the Order of the House of Orange) is a royal prerogative without ministerial influence, it is seen as a public token of approval and esteem by King Willem-Alexander towards Doña Letizia.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm sure the balance will even out with incoming and outgoing State Visits and perhaps introductory visits to the UK/ Norway/Sweden/Monaco?

Old 09-24-2015, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Interesting that the Queen of Spain has only one foreign royal order. It was given -by surprise- to Queen Letizia (October 2014, introduction visit to The Hague). As the Crown Order (in the Order of the House of Orange) is a royal prerogative without ministerial influence, it is seen as a public token of approval and esteem by King Willem-Alexander towards Doña Letizia.
No wonder as there where no incoming State Visits from foreign monarchs to Spain in the time between her Wedding and the abdication of King Juan Carlos. As far as i remember Prince Daniel of Sweden has now 5 years after his marriage also no Order from a foreign Monarchy
Old 09-24-2015, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I think there was 1 from Dubai maybe in 2011?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I think there was 1 from Dubai maybe in 2011?
That was Qatar, the Sheikh is HH and not HRH, maybe that's a reason?
Old 09-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
No wonder as there where no incoming State Visits from foreign monarchs to Spain in the time between her Wedding and the abdicvation of King Juan Carlos. As far as i remember Perince Daniel of Sweden has no 5 years after his marriage also no Order from a foreign Monarchy
The difference between Queen Letizia and Queen Máxima is remarkable but it was thanks to Queen Beatrix' activistic policy (ever and always include the Prince of Orange and his spouse) that she has a load of royal Orders.

Belgium: Grand Cross of the Order of the Crown (20 June 2006)
Luxembourg: Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau (24 April 2006)
Norway: Grand Cross of the Order of St. Olav (2 October 2013)
Oman: Member 1st Class of the Order of Sultan Qaboos (10 January 2012)
Spain: Dame Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic (19 October 2001)
Sweden: Commander Grand Cross of the Order of the Polar Star (2010)
UAE: Member 1st Class of the Union Order (9 January 2012)
Japan: Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown (29 October 2014)
Denmark: Knight of the Order of the Elephant (17 March 2015)
Brunei: Senior of the Most Esteemed Family Order of Brunei (21 Januaruy 2013)

Old 09-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The difference between Queen Letizia and Queen Máxima is remarkable but it was thanks to Queen Beatrix' activistic policy (ever and always include the Prince of Orange and his spouse) that she has a load of royal Orders.

I think that the then Prince of Orange and Pricness Máxima accompanied Queen Beratrix on a lot of State Visits abroad had also to with the fact that Prince Claus was not alive anynmore.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

As Stefan said the Queen Maxima accompanied the Queen Beatrice to many trips. So there is no comparison between the two Queens in this regard.
Just wondering if Letizia made introduction trips in Belgium and Luxembourg why not given the royal order as happen in the netherlands? (Duc_et_pair say it was surprise that)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
As Stefan said the Queen Maxima accompanied the Queen Beatrice to many trips. So there is no comparison between the two Queens in this regard.
Just wondering if Letizia made introduction trips in Belgium and Luxembourg why not given the royal order as happen in the netherlands? (Duc_et_pair say it was surprise that)
because it's very rare that such things happen. Usually, you only receive an order if you participate in a State Visit complete with gala. It's very rare, as far as I know, to be given an order simply on a short visit.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:

The top royal orders are normally awarded to visiting monarchs on official state visits, aren't they ? Letizia has been queen for little over an year now and hasn't made many state visits yet.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I'm sure the balance will even out with incoming and outgoing State Visits and perhaps introductory visits to the UK/ Norway/Sweden/Monaco?

Neither King Willem Alexander nor King Felipe VI have been made Knights of the Garter yet, although King Juan Carlos and Princess Beatrix were previously inducted into the order. On the other hand, neither King Philippe nor his father, King Albert II, are Knights of the Garter, although King Baudouin was made a Stranger Knight when he visited the UK, I believe, in 1963.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II would refuse to award orders to any of the younger European monarchs who ascended the throne by abdication while their predecessors are still alive. That wouldn't make sense as, in the past, Queen Beatrix for example became a Lady Companion of the Garter while Princess Juliana was still alive.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
On the other hand, neither King Philippe nor his father, King Albert II, are Knights of the Garter, although King Baudouin was made a Stranger Knight when he visited the UK, I believe, in 1963.

I wonder if Queen Elizabeth II would refuse to award orders to any of the younger European monarchs who ascended the throne by abdication while their predecessors are still alive. That wouldn't make sense as, in the past, Queen Beatrix for example became a Lady Companion of the Garter while Princess Juliana was still alive.
I think the reason that King Albert II. has not received the Order of the Garter has to do with the fact that there was nor british/belgian State Visit during his reign.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Even with the upcoming state visit to the UK in March i don't see Letizia getting a British order even a minor one - i don't recall Queen Sofia with one?
Felipe already has the Royal Victoria Order so i wonder will QE upgrade to a higher order now he is King

Old 01-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Felipe will almost certainly receive the Order of the Garter from Her Majesty and Letizia may receive the RVO although I don't think Queen Sofia was given it.

You never know with Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Even with the upcoming state visit to the UK in March i don't see Letizia getting a British order even a minor one - i don't recall Queen Sofia with one?
Most likely Letizia will not get a british Order. Queen Sofia has none and neither have Queens Silvia and Sonja.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Heir Apparent

That has to do with the British policy not to decorate female royal spouses. Prince Hendrik of the Netherlands, Prince Félix of Luxembourg, Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Prince Henrik of Denmark and Prince Claus of the Netherlands all got British decorations.

Queen Sonja of Norway, Queen Silvia of Sweden, Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, Grand-Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg, etc.: nope... That is also the answer why Diana or Camilla's foreign orders are so rare. Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix were not so petty. During their Reigns ladies as Queen Elizabeth (QETQM), The Princess Margaret, The Princess Anne, The Princess of Wales, Princess Alice of Athlone, Princess Alice of Gloucester, Princess Marina of Kent, all received a visible token of esteem and respect by the Dutch monarch, the latter not feeling hindranced by reciprocity-feelings of 'revenge' in their royal will and pleasure.

As long as the British Queen keeps her policy towards female spouses, Doña Letizia will remain without a British Order.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Felipe will almost certainly receive the Order of the Garter from Her Majesty and Letizia may receive the RVO although I don't think Queen Sofia was given it.

You never know with Queen Elizabeth II
Usally he will get a lower Order first: the RVO or the Royal Victorian Chain and then in a couple of years will get the Garter.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Felipe received the RVO in 1988
Old 01-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe that Felipe will recieve the Order of the Garter, maybe not this year, but soon. Letizia, will not recieve an order from the British Empire, much like her predecesors before her.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Most likely Letizia will not get a british Order. Queen Sofia has none and neither have Queens Silvia and Sonja.
Well, likely not from Elizabeth II. But from Charles? That belongs in the when he is king thread, but it will be interesting to see his take on the mutual sharing of orders.

Tags
queen letizia, queen letizia orders