Queen Letizia's Official Visit to Vienna, Austria: October 27, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did Letizia speak German??? Really? Or did she just say few sentences in german?

I don't speak German but from what I could hear, she spoke fluently enough for a non-German speaker. It's very nice of her to start in a bit of German. Great job.

A very nice German, with a nice Accent, well done :flowers::flowers::flowers:!
BYe Bine

I thought she spoke english very well, as an adult learner she will have a slight accent but all adult learners do, no matter what they think. and her german was fine. Certainly more technically correct than when JFK said in his famous speech he was a Berliner ( which my german grandmother told me actually means donut) he had made the wonderful effort to say something in german and nobody had bothered to make sure what he said was corrrect.

It's a common misconception, but Kennedy was quite correct to say Ich bin ein Berliner. The Berliner is a jelly donut, but a Berliner is also someone from Berlin.

sadly youtube is not working for me today so I can't listen to Letizia speak German yet. I'm sure she did well, though.

I thought she spoke english very well, as an adult learner she will have a slight accent but all adult learners do, no matter what they think. and her german was fine. Certainly more technically correct than when JFK said in his famous speech he was a Berliner ( which my german grandmother told me actually means donut) he had made the wonderful effort to say something in german and nobody had bothered to make sure what he said was corrrect.

what JFK said was fully correct, a Berliner might mean donut in some regions in Germany but in general a Berliner is a person who lives in Berlin.

I thought she did very well,Queen Letizia comes across as natural and at ease which is something I really admire about H.M.

what JFK said was fully correct, a Berliner might mean donut in some regions in Germany but in general a Berliner is a person who lives in Berlin.
Actually it wasn't "fully" correct. No Berliner says: Ich bin ein Berliner, just as nobody from Hamburg says: Ich bin ein Hamburger - unless he wants to make a joke or speaks slang. JFK didn't want to make a joke when he gave that speech, so he should have said: Ich bin Berliner. Then there would have been no room for misinterpretations.

Last edited:
I watched the video... She read it a bit stiffly but since she doesn't speak it she managed to do a fine work

I admire her efforts, and thinks her German was quite acceptable, and her English is more than acceptable. As most non-native speakers worldwide she has an accent but not distubing in my view. Please don't be too hard, she is at least at the level of the French of Queen Elizabeth etc

Generally speaking her communication skills are quite good in my view; she is a perfect representative of her country.

I admire her efforts, and thinks her German was quite acceptable, and her English is more than acceptable. As most non-native speakers worldwide she has an accent but not distubing in my view. Please don't be too hard, she is at least at the level of the French of Queen Elizabeth etc

Generally speaking her communication skills are quite good in my view; she is a perfect representative of her country.

I agree with you actually:flowers:

Back
Top Bottom