Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, but in Spain, more now with the crisis, there are many causes that she could work with. She has not her own foundation, and the number of causes she supported permanently is reduced. She is good with normal people and when she speaks in public generates attention, and all that could be used in a good way.

Queen Sofia travels abroad representing Spanish organizations and their projects and not representing international organizations.

There are events in which it is important to accompany the Prince, but there are others in wich her presence is much more unnecessary. It seems that lately she has more solo acts, but that always happens when the king is in sick leave, and as he returns to work immediately cut Letizia's agenda again.

Even if there is an abdication I'm not sure it will be smooth sailing for her. Will the Queen give up her events, etc for her DIL? Does she have to? Seems the press will just have another way to go after her... Letizia pushing the Queen out of the way or stories like that.

I hope it will soon dawn upon Queen Sofia that it is not always about her. She should slowly initiate the transition..Its already late. Involve Letizia with those Cooperation trips/Foundation activities/whatever. She should more and more confine herself to events accompanying the King.
When The King is not present, then The CP couple alone should be in full focus, not her.
Sofia has done a wonderful job and no one is gonna blame her for skirting work if she gradually decreases her profile and makes way for her DIL. Somehow she is totally blind about the future. Maybe because she never had a predecessor, so she dont know how to initiate her successor.
Or maybe she thinks she has to cover-up for everything the King has recently screwed up.THIS IS WRONG..Felipe&Leti have to cover up. That will be far good for monarchy.
Just see.. Letizia hardly had one or two solo international trips in the last ten years. They have absolutely no strategy for the CP-couple.
Maybe I guess it is due to the non-existent relationship between King and Queen. They never discuss or plan such things..Nothing like the wonderful Way Ahead Group..
And until JC&Sofia actively start promoting letizia, the Zarzuela officials will keep sucking up to the Infantas and sideline Letizia, diverting attention towards her shortcomings.

Emmily said:
Even if there is an abdication I'm not sure it will be smooth sailing for her. Will the Queen give up her events, etc for her DIL? Does she have to? Seems the press will just have another way to go after her... Letizia pushing the Queen out of the way or stories like that.

If the king abdicates I suppose the men in the grey suits at Zarzuela will be working for Felipe, so that settles the matter. It is curious how things can change: since Philippe has become king in Belgium the press has been very positive about him for example. However, I do not think an abdication is likely, unless the king is somehow involved in the Cristina-Iñaki matter.

---

Thanks for the explanation lula, very informative as always!

Last edited:
Emmily as queen, she will be queen, she will be a step above and Sofia will have to step aside. Letizia will have more freedom because she will depend on her husband, not her father in law... she could also have her own staff and more resources at her disposal.

I've said several times, in Spain the king rules his house. Only he can appoint staff, and it is he who distributes the money as he sees fit. Other princes have their own team and the government gives them the budget directly ... in Spain not. Probably if Spain were so things would be different for Felipe and Letizia.

Emmily as queen, she will be queen, she will be a step above and Sofia will have to step aside. Letizia will have more freedom because she will depend on her husband, not her father in law... she could also have her own staff and more resources at her disposal.

I've said several times, in Spain the king rules his house. Only he can appoint staff, and it is he who distributes the money as he sees fit. Other princes have their own team and the government gives them the budget directly ... in Spain not. Probably if Spain were so things would be different for Felipe and Letizia.
King will never let son and wife have any real control. Not his personality. Will have to wait for King's death before Letizia will be able to come forward, plus Sofia will never want to give up the title of Queen and take a back seat.

It wouldn't be a normal day if vanitatis weren't telling us something negative about the Princess!

'Letizia stops a woman photographing her daughters on the feast of the Epiphany '

Letizia impide a una mujer fotografiar a sus hijas en la cabalgata de Reyes - Noticias de Casas Reales

Hardly a surprise, whenever there was a bad news about the King or the Palms, there was always someone who came up with a story about Letizia to see if it distracted attention away from the real problem of the family. Parade had happened about a week ago with hundreds or thousands people on the street, why talked about it now ?
Hola had pictures of the Asturias on the parade this year, they had been photographed almost every year, what's new about it ?

The story is always the same. The gossips are a closed circle, friends who work in the same television programs or webs (like Vanitatis), but also competition.

Some own gossip news and paparazzi agencies, when they get a picture no problem, they have no problem with Letizia and they do a wonderful job because they are professionals. But when they do not get the picture or competition take the photo, then always some story that Letizia is terrible or that everything is posed. Sometimes with the same photos we have the two opposing versions of someone who took photos and who not.

Summarizing ... Letizia is good when they make money with her, but terrible when not ... and it is always the same.

Its a no brainer to critizise in connection with access to the infantas. No other CP couple show their kids as little as the Asturias couple. The only option to see the girls are in fact paparazzi shots, apart from Easter, the Mallorca outing, have I forgotten something? And every time, Letizia looks very tense with a fake smile, you can see that these outings are forced and dont come natural. And then you have the choreographed outings like Granada, where people can easily see the purpose. There are never any official photos on birthday occasions etc.

Stories like rejecting photos, any Spaniard will easily believe, true or not. Same goes with the subject of thinness or obsession with cosmetic procedures, people have eyes, they can see and draw their own conclusions. The cold & arrogant perception has been nurtured from day 1 too, there are certain features that can easily be allocated to Letizia if the powers that be decide to do it, because she gives plenty of ammunition herself. There are tons of pictures that document the change in pysical appearance, that show her tense, aloof, serious or somber, there has never been any credible warm interaction with her in-laws, and if you chose to focus on this image people will believe it. Why wouldnt they? It sounds too much like spin when stories come up like, no, she is so different in reality, so warm & caring etc, on what basis should people believe it when they see pictures day in day out that point to the opposite?

Letizia is certainly victim of the circumstances in Spain and unfortunately, her character or features do not go to her advantage. In other coutries, it would be as easy with certain CPs to drive a negative campaign against them but the media has no reason to do so. The power of picture is impossible to break, the image sticks, if those in charge decide to pursue a certain strategy and the media is in the same boat because they can make good money that way or see other advantages in the long run, there is only little that can be done.

The difference is that the press of other countries are happy with what they are given ... not protest if they prohibit photographing children in their private lives, if is the palace who gives some photos taken or limit the sessions to an official photographer. Is wonderful to pose happy and calm when you are only going to get praise ... but it is terrible when you do know that the slightest mistake, it will be repeated and expanded cruelly. In other countries there is mutual agreement, in Spain it is impossible.

In Spain the photographers want to do what they want, nothing is ever enough and have been really terrible episodes with the children of the Royal Family. It is horrible to see when the girls appear in public and everyone starts screaming their names. They must have a respect and caution with children that does not exist. Although they give more pictures, the paparazzi would want to continue doing their exclusive pictures, because that's where is business.

It is not true that we see them less than other royal children... there are always photos at Easter, summer and Christmas card, also always participate in a family activity on Christmas organized by the Queen (apparently this year was canceled unexpectedly). Participate in family events, in events such as the reception to the Spanish football team and have check each time the king has been in the hospital.

It is not different from other royal houses that make photoshoot in winter and summer. Only the Belgians are photographed annually the first day of school, and only the danish always publish any pictures on each birthday. Other royal children can attend weddings and baptisms of the family, but in Spain there is little opportunity for that.

Probably if they were showing more the girls they would accuse them of wanting to use them to improve the image of the Royal Family... so whatever they do, there will be criticism.

Thankfully, I never watch this kind of rubbish TV (for the shake of mi mental health), but I´m reading on a Spanish forum that yesterday on Sálvame, the most disgusting yellow show which is aired on one of the main TV channels here (and with amazing ratings, which makes me feel sick :sick:), one of their so-called "journalist" was telling the story of Letizia, the Three Wise Men parade, the photos and so, and one of the women from the show started to shout that Letizia was a PIG.

I mean, she said that Letizia was a PIG. Literally. On one of the most famous TV stations. In front of millions of people. Without any consequences, because if Letizia, or the RH for that matter would even ask for an apology, they would be accused of not respecting the freedom of speech and so.

I´m writing this crap only to show the truth about the Spanish press to all those posters who come here every time I say that no other CP in any country is bashed half as hard as Letizia is. Now, tell me in which other monarchy country would a TV station dare to call their CP publicly "a pig". And then, I´ll stop saying that Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria or Maxima´s lifes aren´t a thousand times easier than Letizia´s.

And tell me even more. If you´re called a pig publicly on TV, without having the option not even of suing that person, but of asking for an apology nor defending yourself, would you be happy about exposing your daughters, the most precious thing you have on your life, to that jungle predators? Personally, if this would ever happen to me, I assure you I would take my daughters and leave this f****** country as soon as possible. I pity so much the infantitas, for all the unjustified hate they´re going to receive during their lifes, that sometimes I´m glad of the current situation of the monarchy just for them both. They will be a lot happier not being princesses.

And I´m very sorry for this long post, but I had to write it, I´m so angry right now.

Last edited:
Thankfully, I never watch this kind of rubbish TV (for the shake of mi mental health), but I´m reading on a Spanish forum that yesterday on Sálvame, the most disgusting yellow show which is aired on one of the main TV channels here (and with amazing ratings, which makes me feel sick :sick:), one of their so-called "journalist" was telling the story of Letizia, the Three Wise Men parade, the photos and so, and one of the women from the show started to shout that Letizia was a PIG.

I mean, she said that Letizia was a PIG. Literally. On one of the most famous TV stations. In front of millions of people. Without any consequences, because if Letizia, or the RH for that matter would even ask for an apology, they would be accused of not respecting the freedom of speech and so.

I´m writing this crap only to show the truth about the Spanish press to all those posters who come here every time each time that I say that no other CP in any country is bashed half as hard as Letizia is. Now, tell me in which other monarchy country would a TV station would dare to call their CP publicly "a pig". And then, I´ll stop saying that Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria or Maxima´s lifes aren´t a thousand times easier than Letizia´s.

And tell me even more. If you´re calling a pig publicly on TV, without having the option not even of suing that person, but of asking for an apology nor defending yourself, would you be happy about exposing your daughters, the most precious thing you have on your life, to that jungle predators? Personally, if this would ever happen to me, I assure you I would take my daughters and leave this f****** country as soon as possible. I pity so much the infantitas, for all the unjustified hate they´re going to receive during their lifes, that sometimes I´m glad of the current situation of the monarchy just for them both. They will be a lot happier not being princesses.

And I´m very sorry for this long post, but I had to write it, I´m so angry right now.
It sounds like being a princess in spain is a nightmare rather than a fairy tale.

Froilán (he hates that name, he is Felipe and the press uses always that name although they know that the boy hates it) hates the press, from child they have used him because he was funny and naughty, and now the teen hates getting force to take a photo and had a confrontation with paparazzi.

Victoria is a good girl, shy and a good student, but her parents preferred that she is in a English boarding school, where she is away from all the pressure in Spain.

Since the scandal Noos, the royal house has called reporters to comply with the law and not shoot Urdangarín children without permission or presence of their parents... but they are breaking the law when they want.

At the parade was also Telma with her daughter (and other friends of the children), although when she was born the parents demanded that the girl was never photographed, press has harassed her and her mother at the school gate. Not to mention the pictures of the press hounding Erika`s daughter of 5 years, the day after the death of her mother.

Really with this background, it is normal that the Prince and Princess have decided to be strict with the press and control the image they want of their daughters. Because*it is evident that the press will not comply law, or will act with respect.

Annie, that TV show is the worst ... most involved in it are not journalists but celebrities by scream, insult and trade with their life. Mental illness, addictions, suicide attempts, divorce, infidelity ... use and manipulate their life to have more audience. The trouble is that despite that, and complaints and fines that the program has...it is very popular.

When they said that Letizia is a PIG, they ment the animal? If yes, my god why such an insult? This ir horrible!

I think the Spanish press is acting this way because of the scandals affecting the royal family. They do what they want because they know there will be little backlash and the royal family is not very popular at the moment. Poor Letizia is suffering the most when she was not the one stealing money:bang:

This reminds me of the British press during the 90s and the disastrous marriages of the Queens children. Although they didn't go so far as calling people pigs (not that I know off anyway), they acted however they wanted.
However, the British press is now under attack due to their behavior. The hacking scandal has shown that there is a limit to "freedom of the press". The press can not be respected when they fail to respect their readers.

I am waiting for something similar to happen to the Spanish press. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate thee press but sometimes they act like they can do whatever they want because it's "freedom of speech/press"
I miss the old days when journalist were people who knew how to get hard-hitting stories without being mean.
Calling someone who has not done something to you, someone you barely even know a pig just so you can get attention is not being a journalist!!!!

When they said that Letizia is a PIG, they ment the animal? If yes, my god why such an insult? This ir horrible!

I didn´t watch the show, but what I´ve read she said is "cerda" which means indeed "pig", the animal :ermm:

I am waiting for something similar to happen to the Spanish press. Don't get me wrong, I do not hate thee press but sometimes they act like they can do whatever they want because it's "freedom of speech/press"
I miss the old days when journalist were people who knew how to get hard-hitting stories without being mean.
Calling someone who has not done something to you, someone you barely even know a pig just so you can get attention is not being a journalist!!!!
I can´t stand that. Saying such horrible things about someone you don´t even know can´t be called freedom of speech. Its a shame.

As it is said, "my freedom ends where some other´s begins"

In Spain, has thus been the last 10 years, and Letizia has been a victim of a powerful gossip press that moved a lot of money. During her first years as Princess, such programs filled television channels, and magazines ... so they needed much material to fill many hours.

Such press lost respect for everything and everyone... in Spain the actors, singers ... important people for a profession no longer appears in these telivision programs. They are only interested in some shocking news, or famous people for doing nothing but selling their life. Some of these characters for work 4 hours a week on a TV show charged 3000 euros, if you do a calculation, their annual salary was the same as that of the King.

The Royal House pretended nothing happen... Now Noos scandal, coincided with a severe crisis of the press and especially the gossip press. So now they are more aggressive than ever, because the business is ending and they will resist. Even the supposedly serious press follows this path, because their economic situation is bad, and scandal sells.

Annie, that TV show is the worst ... most involved in it are not journalists but celebrities by scream, insult and trade with their life. Mental illness, addictions, suicide attempts, divorce, infidelity ... use and manipulate their life to have more audience. The trouble is that despite that, and complaints and fines that the program has...it is very popular.

I know, and I never watch it, nor Telecinco, for that matter. But I can´t help feeling this shocked when I read things like this. And so many people watching that crap :wacko: :yuk:

I feel so bad for Felipe Jr too. The image they have created of him... how Spanish people (the normal ones, the ones that read that rubbish) see him now as a problematic teen....he´s only a child. He´s making mistakes, but everybody makes mistakes at 13, that´s not a reason t bash him so heavily!:sad:

I love a good satire on public persons and celebs, but this is just slander on the lowest niveau.

I´m writing this crap only to show the truth about the Spanish press to all those posters who come here every time I say that no other CP in any country is bashed half as hard as Letizia is. Now, tell me in which other monarchy country would a TV station dare to call their CP publicly "a pig". And then, I´ll stop saying that Mary, Mette Marit, Victoria or Maxima´s lifes aren´t a thousand times easier than Letizia´s.

And tell me even more. If you´re called a pig publicly on TV, without having the option not even of suing that person, but of asking for an apology nor defending yourself, would you be happy about exposing your daughters, the most precious thing you have on your life, to that jungle predators? Personally, if this would ever happen to me, I assure you I would take my daughters and leave this f****** country as soon as possible. I pity so much the infantitas, for all the unjustified hate they´re going to receive during their lifes, that sometimes I´m glad of the current situation of the monarchy just for them both. They will be a lot happier not being princesses.

How horrible Annie,what sort of TV station permits this kind of crass /cheap character assassination,it certainly would not be allowed on Irish tv.

ANNIE, what an awful program. I sit here and wonder why exactly is the Spanish media so afraid of Letizia? There is most definitely a fear of this "future" queen. I must say that since the King has not stepped in behind the scene to put a harsh word into the editors' ears, he just might have something to hide that she could make public. This is much more than dislike. This is character assassination at it highest. Would love to see a proper investigator delve into this subject. Our minds would probably have a melt-down if the real truth came out.

There really is a section of the press in Spain acting so ... move through the audience, business, money... is not journalism, it is a mafia. Telecinco is a channel of Berlusconi...

It is clear that the King has never wanted to attack the press in defense of Letizia, because they had rebelled, and there were other scandals to hide. While they attack Letizia with nonsense, the real scandal is not touched.

How Letizia was journalists, many thought they were going to be able to manipulate her... and many do not accept that a person who was once like them, now is Princess. I think in general that happens to many people ... generally those most critical of Letizia, are people who consider themselves more important than they really are, and if she does not treat them with deference, they get angry.

There should be or must be some watchdog in Spain that monitors complaints regarding this type of trash,its absolutely repugnant to allow this :bang:

Telma's husband had openly criticized the Italian boss of Telecinco in one of his letters, I'm sure Telecinco had wanted to take revenge on Letizia. A certain journalist in Salvame dared to insult Letizia, obviously it was allowed by her Italian boss (the Italian Mafia). There are many low lives in the Spanish tabloids due to the Italian ownership, very sad situation for the country.

Salvame had many rumors or lies, even there is a certain truth to some of the stories, most likely they had been exaggerated.

For the Palms, during their good time, they never had problems seeing their kids constantly being photographed by the press, now the royal house threatened the press not to take pictures of their kids. At least Felipe and Elena have always been more consistent limiting the exposure of their children to the press. You can't compare the press in Spain to some smaller countries in Europe where most of the royal families have the total control. We haven't seen Prince George of GB for a while, I'm pretty sure William and Kate will try their best to protect their children from the press.

Last edited:
What a bunch of wimpy scared Spanish men to allow this.

Its a no brainer to critizise in connection with access to the infantas. No other CP couple show their kids as little as the Asturias couple. The only option to see the girls are in fact paparazzi shots, apart from Easter, the Mallorca outing, have I forgotten something? And every time, Letizia looks very tense with a fake smile, you can see that these outings are forced and dont come natural. And then you have the choreographed outings like Granada, where people can easily see the purpose. There are never any official photos on birthday occasions etc.

Stories like rejecting photos, any Spaniard will easily believe, true or not. Same goes with the subject of thinness or obsession with cosmetic procedures, people have eyes, they can see and draw their own conclusions. The cold & arrogant perception has been nurtured from day 1 too, there are certain features that can easily be allocated to Letizia if the powers that be decide to do it, because she gives plenty of ammunition herself. There are tons of pictures that document the change in pysical appearance, that show her tense, aloof, serious or somber, there has never been any credible warm interaction with her in-laws, and if you chose to focus on this image people will believe it. Why wouldnt they? It sounds too much like spin when stories come up like, no, she is so different in reality, so warm & caring etc, on what basis should people believe it when they see pictures day in day out that point to the opposite?

Letizia is certainly victim of the circumstances in Spain and unfortunately, her character or features do not go to her advantage. In other coutries, it would be as easy with certain CPs to drive a negative campaign against them but the media has no reason to do so. The power of picture is impossible to break, the image sticks, if those in charge decide to pursue a certain strategy and the media is in the same boat because they can make good money that way or see other advantages in the long run, there is only little that can be done.

Yeah, I'm done with this argument. She's protecting her CHILDREN, for pete's sake! They are little girls! I'm not going to say that a mother can't be protective of people photographing her kids.

As for the rest of this post, it's all your opinion! :fuming:

I agree.Valid criticism of any public figure is okay and expected, but what exactly has the Princess of Asturias done or not done to deserve such an attack?:bang: I cannot stress how shocking it is to me that the section of the public that has turned on her with the most violence is her former colleagues in the press!

Anyway, pigs are intelligent and resourceful animals. The more I think about it these cretins have inadvertently given the Princess a compliment!;)

Last edited:
Journalists are just tools, they are power behind them. The hosts of Salvame are extremely vulgar and grass, had no studies, nothing to do with Letizia's former colleagues from CNN or TVE.

Back
Top Bottom