Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did'nt see anything wrong with what she wore to see the Pope.

Personally i can not make a judgement. I know the rule of the white for the catholic queens which should also cover their head but i do not know if this rule applies out of vatican. The question is: there is not a protocol advisor in zarzuela for all occasion? Has letizia been advised about the rule and she transgressed it on purpose? Or she simply did not know it?

Personally i can not make a judgement. I know the rule of the white for the catholic queens which should also cover their head but i do not know if this rule applies out of vatican. The question is: there is not a protocol advisor in zarzuela for all occasion? Has letizia been advised about the rule and she transgressed it on purpose? Or she simply did not know it?

The rule only applies in Vatican, not out of Vatican. Her suit is yellowish beige, not even off white. I'm pretty sure the article was not originated from the Spanish press. Sometimes, online newspapers picked up stories from the websites that might not know any better or just wanted to criticize something out of nothing.

Last edited:
The rule only applies in Vatican, not out of Vatican. Her suit is yellowish beige, not even off white. I'm pretty sure the article was not originated from the Spanish press. Sometimes, online newspapers picked up stories from the websites that might not know any better or just wanted to criticize something out of nothing.

This is such a non issue in Spain. Today a poll was published in a Spanish newspaper on the best dressed Spanish men and women and Letizia the best dressed woman(8.3) Felipe is the best dressed man(8.1)

http://www.larazon.es/noticia/744-los-principes-reinan-por-su-estilo#fotos

This is such a non issue in Spain. Today a poll was published in a Spanish newspaper on the best dressed Spanish men and women and Letizia the best dressed woman(8.3) Felipe is the best dressed man(8.1)

http://www.larazon.es/noticia/744-los-principes-reinan-por-su-estilo#fotos

I agree this was never an issue in Spain. I still can't believe posters here refer to the "appropriate" clothing the top authorities are supposed to "wear" when receiving the Pope in their own country. :innocent:

Unbelievable.

Last edited:
People like to tell what is appropriate or inappropriate and to judge, you know.

I`m glad to hear it :) I think the Spaniards not only like her clothes, but also appreciate that she wears Spanish brands a lot and promotes Spanish fashion.

I`m glad to hear it :) I think the Spaniards not only like her clothes, but also appreciate that she wears Spanish brands a lot and promotes Spanish fashion.

I think it is important for a royal figure to support and promote the "local" fashion brands. It displays a huge sense of patriotism. Well done on that one Letizia

I think it is important for a royal figure to support and promote the "local" fashion brands. It displays a huge sense of patriotism. Well done on that one Letizia

IMO, It's not so much as displaying patriotism, as of being aware of the many responsibilities that may come with the role of CP - ie, supporting your local economy at a basic level by wearing own brands.

Letizia is never going to be a "fashionista" by wearing top international designer brands - I don't really think she cares for this kind of pigeonhole. She has fun dressing like the 38 year old she is but looks much more interested in working hard and connecting with people whenever she goes. As it should be.

One of the things I love about Letizia is her working schedule. She's certainly committed to her job.

Last edited:
With the way you have elaborated, I definitely agree with you on this one Alondra.

Last edited:
Why do you think any kind of spark is allowed by Zarzuela ? JC and his camp didn't even like his own son's (Felipe's) spark when he was ill, let alone the 'so called' spark from his DIL. Plus each country is different. If Letizia were given more prominent role as Maxima in Netherland, outshining her husband, sometimes walking in front of everyone, maybe it even made the monarchy less secure :cool:. I don't see how other commoner born royals would have been criticized less in Spain if they were on Letizia's position since lots of criticism were out of classists and sexists (ex. Jaime Penafiel) or their own political agenda (Republicanism).

Zarzuela pretty much allowed Jaime Penafiel criticizing Letizia freely with invalid datas (mostly rumors or lies) at the beginning (I think that was their mistake), now it has become a good business talking about her since anything (good or bad) related to her still sells. I don't know any other royal (maybe except for Kate) would have their bikini pictures sold for 300,000 Euros.

She is only wife of the heir, not on a position to bring the monarchy forward. As long as JC is on the throne, nobody (not even Felipe) can (or is allowed to) bring the monarchy forward other than JC himself.

Very well said, Donna. I am quite sure, that a lot of things will run differently (more open and modern) when -- one day -- there will be King Felipe reigning Spain.
Bye Bine

Because many people seem eager to believe the trashiest magazines and sites and they only bother to link to places like Vanitatis, I thought this article (by a Spanish writer/journalist) in English in Spain's most important newspaper could be interesting:

Letizia after Urdangarin

The media has given little respite to the Princess of Asturias since 2004, poring over her life, her family, her weight... Until, that is, the Duke of Palma hit the headlines

On November 1, 2003, the Royal Household made the surprise announcement that Prince Felipe was to be engaged to Letizia Ortiz, a journalist. Six weeks later, EL PAÍS named the Princess of Asturias, along with Saddam Hussein, its personalities of the year. Saddam will hopefully be forgotten, and if he is remembered, it will be for his violence; Letizia will be remembered, if this country holds together, as the Queen of Spain.

Read the rest: Letizia after Urdangarin · ELPAÍS.com in English

Impossible. Everyone knows Letizia is a health control freak. :whistling::lol:

NOT!!

Last edited:
http://www.vanitatis.com/casas-real...cipes-hacen-vida-conyugal-por-separado_24472/

Another article on the increasing separate activities in private life, after Letizia left Mallorca and did not take part in the lunch with president Rajoy (Leonor & Sofia stayed with their father & grandfather & appeared at dessert to say hello). There are occasions where people are taken aback at events by Letizia's demanding attitue (unlike Felipe) when things don't go as she likes (eg in Rome when meeting the clergy and not only mentioned in Vanitatis ;)).

I've always seen Letizia as a 'commoner at heart' not matching her chosen position in life at all (I mean the princess, not the career journalist). I think it shows after nine years of marriage that she doesnt fit into the restrictions of royal life and the ancient institution that monarchy is, seeking her freedom elsewhere, away from the royal family. Felipe on the other hand is like Sofia, the opposite, born into & fitting completely into what he is doing. It makes her the perfect scapegoat for a lot that goes wrong in the SRF and adds fuel to the media fire.

Its quite something when a conservative paper like ABC comes up with the story that the CP has problems to adapt to royal life after nine years of marriage.

Last edited:
Duke, the problem is that the press seems determined to hide information, only to criticize the Princess. In my opinion, there is something that is moving in Zarzuela, serious, and Letizia is once again the entertainment of the masses.

The "gossips" talk of the outs separately, but there are photographs and testimonials on social networks of people who sees the couple in the movies, in restaurants, with their daughters, friends... all that is ignored in this informations.

If we would judge the other members of the Royal Family as judged Letizia, the results would be very favorable for her.

The prince also out with friends, but as a prince and man, it seems that it is good. Many years before he married Letizia, he fled from Mallorca in private trips once finished the sailing competition ... as did all members of the family ... but the press does not care to remember.

The Queen has few friends in Madrid, no social life, it is very strange to see her with friends doing an activity. Her partner is usually her sister. When she wants to go shopping, go to the cinema or make a normal life she flies to London or Greece ... often organizing her schedule to take whole weeks off and not in normal periods of vacation. She loves Mallorca, but if she could not invite family and friends, maybe she did not like so much.

I think that Princess Letizia is no different to other European young princesses and queens, the problem is that the Spanish Royal House has some outdated and unhealthy habits, and the press only moves for power and money.

Is there a reason behind the current media apathy towards Letizia?

I think the question is, which is the real reason? I think only time will discover it.

Princess Letizia is a very useful distraction, they have done nothing this summer that have not done other years, but this time someone has decided to turn it into controversy and scandal, and has launched a campaign against the princess.

In the current situation of the royal family and of Spain, I do not think anything is casual. The month has begun with Cristina golden exile in Switzerland and King's million euro loan... and the month will be animated with Noos case, because the investigation is about to close.

Also in recent months, attacks to the princess have been linked to a rumor, real or unfounded, the possible abdication of the king.

At this point I'm starting to believe that there is some truth in the rumors. They can use them to hide other more dangerous issues and I'm sure this is what they are doing, but usually there is never smoke without fire.

a certain sector of the press is certainly angry that letizia didnt give enough photo ops herself & daughters, hence have to take in a loss of money.

some posters seem to think that an abdication of jc would make things better, i believe the opposite is true, espcially for the asturias family. both - and especially letizia - will be under even more scrutiny and pressure, and the childhood for the girls would be over. felipe's position will even more be between a rock and a hard place in many aspects.

I think the root of the problem is that the Royal Family has handled terribly so many things, starting with the public image and work of the Princess. For me it would not be strange if the princess was tired and frustrated.

Anyone who examine a bit like other royal houses have handled their princesses, and what they has done with Letizia, would understand. She was a person with great potential, and she is totally underused. They have created a role that is not what is expected of a princess of the XXI century.

The second frustration has to come from what is happening. The king, infanta Cristina, Inaki ... have caused a scandal of immense dimensions and they do not seem to mind. The king is making every effort to save himself and save his daughter ... justice free living through a golden exile in Switzerland. Probably Letizia wonder why must sacrifice herself and her daughters, for others to live a privileged life they do not deserve.

In the royal family all seem to do what they want, and they require the princess things that are not required of other members of the Royal Family ... because she is weak and easy target. Problems exist, but focus on the wrong person, because it is easier.

to me it always seemed that letizia would have been great in a monarchy that does a rania-like role, something that mary of denmark seems to be pursuing now. what remains a mystery to me is how letizia could possibly think that she would fit into the institution the way it was and still is, as the woman she was back then. did she honestly think she could change the ways of the srf? did felipe promise her more he could keep? at the day of engagement i saw the kings' faces and i thought omg, they're gonna hang her out to dry, slowly but steadily. thats exactly what happened.

I have a feeling that the press attacks and snipes at Letizia will only increase,I don't think I've ever read as many negative online comments/articles towards Letizia.

Once upon a time it was the opposite!

Probably the problem is not that the princess or prince had thought that things will evolve in a way, the problem is that things have not worked out the way they should have done. I think they know their project and the way they should go. But in the Family and the House were too many people worried about keeping their position and privileges as to let them make their way. And fight against the all-powerful and perfect king Juan Carlos, was a losing battle. At that, just have to wait (and in some cases probably despair) and that the time put things in place.

An abdication would be the opportunity to make changes that society demands the monarchy but with Juan Carlos, anchored in a life of privilege and a way of doing things, it is very difficult to make. The debate affects not only the Monarchy, affects institutions in general ... the need for a renewal of the country's leadership, because the system in place is broken. And that is precisely what many fear.

Perhaps the debate is not whether Juan Carlos wants or does not want to abdicate, but the monarchy and the country reach a point, which required him to do.

Los Príncipes hacen vida conyugal por separado - Noticias de Casas Reales

Another article on the increasing separate activities in private life, after Letizia left Mallorca and did not take part in the lunch with president Rajoy (Leonor & Sofia stayed with their father & grandfather & appeared at dessert to say hello). There are occasions where people are taken aback at events by Letizia's demanding attitue (unlike Felipe) when things don't go as she likes (eg in Rome when meeting the clergy and not only mentioned in Vanitatis ;)).

I've always seen Letizia as a 'commoner at heart' not matching her chosen position in life at all (I mean the princess, not the career journalist). I think it shows after nine years of marriage that she doesnt fit into the restrictions of royal life and the ancient institution that monarchy is, seeking her freedom elsewhere, away from the royal family. Felipe on the other hand is like Sofia, the opposite, born into & fitting completely into what he is doing. It makes her the perfect scapegoat for a lot that goes wrong in the SRF and adds fuel to the media fire.

Its quite something when a conservative paper like ABC comes up with the story that the CP has problems to adapt to royal life after nine years of marriage.

What did happen in Rome when Felipe and Letizia met the clergy?

The story goes that F&L met with the clergy, all in all a high ranking meeting, and Letizia got annoyed when the nuns said they were praying for the family incl Inaki :p She left the room talking on her phone before she returend and asked Felipe to leave. The story was in the 'more serious' media too, and in Vanitatis.
Letizia al Príncipe ante los cardenales: Nos vamos ya

There are similar stories from other events, at one event Felipe said something to his wife and her reply was caught on camera 'I couldn't care less', Felipe looked embarrassed and got up to do his speech.

At a town visit Felipe stayed longer to shake hands with a long line of people and Letizia was heard saying 'If you will shake all these hands we'll still be here tomorrow, let's go'.

I wasnt there so I cannot say whether it's true or not or exaggerated but stories like these are not only circulating in gossip but also in 'mainstream media'.

Becaused she missed several events on weekends that Felipe attended Letizia has acquired the reputation to be a '9am-3pm during the week' Princess, probably unjustified because I think casareal will make the agenda with the King and not Letizia herself, but the image sticks, confirmed by the Mallorca incidents, when she was very monosyllabic and annoyed by the press, not attending the lunch with Rajoy (Felipe changed his plans to attend but Letizia didn't).

I don't know if that stories are made up or have some truth to it, I only know that this rumours and negative media will not be good to their marriage, because it's too much pressure and it is painfull. If things go like this for a long time, the Media will surely win on their statements.

Letizia is no angel, we are all not perfect at all. But she sure is no evil, bad-girl. I think some of her attidutes might actually be true, but it's not that she's the bad one, it's her personality and character and besides that, it was known since the engagement that she had a strong will and personality, it's obvious she would not be a puppet of the crown and have sort of an opinion in some matters. Probably because she's a public person, she could try to avoid more awkward situations but all in all, the media is also responsable for this, if they were more friendly, positive and protective of her, I'm sure she would be diferent sometimes, it's obvious she's tired and sad to the point she doesn't give a damn about it anymore.

Last edited:
I do not of course know if these stories are true or not. On the other side she knew since her engagement, where she was entering to, and i found childish these kind of reactions. If she reacts now like this, what will happen when she is the Queen of Spain?
Of course we do not ask frm her to be a puppet. Is Queen Maxima a puppet? NO! She has her own personality, bright and adored. She does a wonderful job and in the meantime she has never such kind of reactions, despite i do not beleive that ALL her tasks are easy and agreable for her, but she is respectfull of her position.
Why the so called intelligent and independant Letizia could not be such a good CP?

Well, the story of the meeting at the embassy with the priests, was told by two "journalists" upset because she did not speak with them during the reception and she preferred to speak with journalists from serious newspapers. One, a republican, works in a program of gossip where the princess attacks are more than usual... the other a few days later told a different story of the events. They also said that the princess was totally uncomfortable and not talk for the acts in the Vatican, and they saw the same images for all of us, where we can see that's not true.

The second reference to Duke, it was a "lip reading" of a partial video ... so the interpretation of the facts is quite relative.

Probably her comments made ​​by any other member of the Royal Family would not matter, if the king had done them would be funny and natural... but to attack the plebeian there are always people willing.

There is a reaction that occurs repeatedly, people who hold certain positions or "famous" journalists believe they are very important and if the princess does not treat them with the homage that they believe they should receive immediately get angry. Their ego sees the princess as an inferior, that really is not royalty and should be always at the service of what they want because she do not deserve to be there. So anything she say or do will be manipulated or taken out of context.

I'am starting to belive also that the rummors migth be true...Letizia was a very independent women, when she married Felipe she lost her job and all her dreams in the work life, she could't continue to do anything by herself, the Spanish Royal House is very strict about that the popularity is all about Felipe, Letizia shoudl onle acompaing him, she only can be his wife, she could not have an active role on anything.On the other side she knew since her engagement, where she was entering to. And yes I have the same opinion "Lletizia would have been great in a monarchy that does a rania-like role"....

I do not of course know if these stories are true or not. On the other side she knew since her engagement, where she was entering to, and i found childish these kind of reactions. If she reacts now like this, what will happen when she is the Queen of Spain?
Of course we do not ask frm her to be a puppet. Is Queen Maxima a puppet? NO! She has her own personality, bright and adored. She does a wonderful job and in the meantime she has never such kind of reactions, despite i do not beleive that ALL her tasks are easy and agreable for her, but she is respectfull of her position.
Why the so called intelligent and independant Letizia could not be such a good CP?

What you say about Maxima being respectful of her position is key, and there are many times Letizia comes across as not understanding that, or quite frankly not caring. JMHO of course. But that is what I see. She seems to be a "my way or the highway" type of person, and that doesn't really work with the family she married into. But she had to have known things would be drastically different when she accepted the proposal.

Of all the current European Crown Princesses I would say Letizia is in my opinion is the least convincing of them all. They've all settled into their roles where as Letizia still seems to be struggling to find her niche. But I wouldn't blame the Palace for her predicament,Letizia is a very shrewd and intelligent woman,if there's a blame game going on I'd says its 50/50 (Letizia/Palace).

Back
Top Bottom