The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #41  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Camarina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murcia, Spain
Posts: 497
Roxsteve said that Letizia needs constant attention, and as Roxsteve does not seem to know how is a person who seeks attention ,Madeleine Victoria and me just said a good example of a person who seeks protagonism.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Her_Majesty's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 8,556
I really wonder why it's not possible to have a single Letizia-Thread without at least 1 (mostly negative) comparison with Mary.
__________________

__________________
Have a look at TRF Rules and FAQ



Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864
They are all attention seekers, it must be part of your personality if you agree to marry a prince. They all enjoy to be admired to a certain degree, some are allowed by the respective royal house to show it more, some less. To me the decisive factor is whether a CP truly enjoys her job and feels comfortable - judged on pictures / media coverage - because it suits her personality or not and for me this does not apply to neither Letizia or the other actress from Denmark.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
UserDane's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarina View Post
Roxsteve said that Letizia needs constant attention, and as Roxsteve does not seem to know how is a person who seeks attention ,Madeleine Victoria and me just said a good example of a person who seeks protagonism.
'does not seem to know' - but you and Madeleine Victoria do know?
The logic of this just escaped me even further......
__________________
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Princess_Beatrix's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: moved to, Spain
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado View Post
Somehow I am reminded about this topic:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ary-15642.html
Why was the thread closed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane
'does not seem to know' - but you and Madeleine Victoria do know?
The logic of this just escaped me even further......
This is the reason why I do not like to visit threads like this. They are childish battles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Camarina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murcia, Spain
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserDane View Post
'does not seem to know' - but you and Madeleine Victoria do know?
The logic of this just escaped me even further......

Of course i know.
There is no need to be very inteligent to know "how" is a person who seeks attention.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Camarina's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Murcia, Spain
Posts: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess_Beatrix View Post
Why was the thread closed?
.
Because threads like these are very childish and absurd, isn´t it?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: .a, United States
Posts: 3,345
I believe we should get back to the main topic at hand which is Letizia and the Press (hence the main focus is LETIZIA) not Letiza and the Press and other Crown Princesses: Are they Desperate for Attention or Not compared to Letizia.

I would appreciate it before this topic turns into a petty catfight.

Thank you.
GT
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-21-2008, 05:28 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , Italy
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Letizia currently heads a survey of 20 minutos regarding the most annoying person, even before Aznar, Hugo Chavez or Lewis Hamilton (!)

Funny enough even Pope Benedict or Queen Elizabeth II are to be found on this list, too.

I am personally missing Borja Thyssen & Blanca Cuesta.

PERSONAJES ODIOSOS - Listas - 20minutos.es

What was the result of this poll? Letizia recieved the most votes. She had more than 15000 votes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 886
We, in America, almost never get information on Letizia & Felipe. We do, of course, on the British Royals. I cannot see how people think that L & F, W-A & M or M & F seek their photos in the newspapers! They seem to JUST do what is expected of them in their own countries. It is their job. Of all the CPs, I do believe that Letizia seem to be the most subdued in public and not attention seeking. She would rather her husband take center stage -- quite evident by the constant repeating of her clothes (which I do not find wrong--I do it all the time) at daytime social events.

I just think that people should be honest with themselves (and their press) and just say that they don't like Letizia (for what ever reason) or Mary or Maxima. We all have people we can't stand , even if we don't know them personally. But to pick them apart because of our own prejudices is quite revolting.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Odette's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tampa, United States
Posts: 2,481
[quote=madeleine victoria;752681]How come? I don't understand why? She's not so fashion savvy like one of the Scandinavian princess who seemed to look at her closet 100 times before she can decide on what she'll wear for her royal duties so she will look as if she came from a fashion photoshoot.

Now now who among us has this kind of information? Let me understand this. If someone appears well groomed and smiling she craves attention? Do we suppose that these ladies do not have an assistant who picks up their clothes for the occasion so that they always look impeccable?
Besides I have to agree with others who posted, why do we have to have two camps where those who defend Letizia no matter what always have to hate Mary?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 06-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
What was the result of this poll? Letizia recieved the most votes. She had more than 15000 votes.
All 20 minutos polls are by points, not votes. Each vote can be 5 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Now now who among us has this kind of information? Let me understand this. If someone appears well groomed and smiling she craves attention? Do we suppose that these ladies do not have an assistant who picks up their clothes for the occasion so that they always look impeccable?
Besides I have to agree with others who posted, why do we have to have two camps where those who defend Letizia no matter what always have to hate Mary?
There are posters who prefer a certain style over the other, it doesn't necessarily mean they hate a certain royal. I like Maxima, although I do think she loves attention. A few posters who often criticized Letizia here were also called themselves other royals' fans (ex. Mary's, Maxima's or Cristina's). I think in a discussion board like TRF, the comparision among the royals is simply inevitable.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: many places, United States
Posts: 886
donnaK, I agree that Maxima loves attention (that is OK as her husband hates it) and I really just think that she is great. Mary and her husband seem to be equal on the public level and I also adore those two. They seem to have a strict line between personal and public. Letizia is more incline to let her husband have center stage. She will be more the help mate type that the husband can't do without. (picture Queen Elizabeth II & Philip only in reverse). All three completely different -- different marriages, customs and personalities -- but all super for them and their countries.

Newspapers are always going to try and find trouble -- it is their livelihood -- sells silly papers. If they don't have a proper story they will start a poll trying to dividing public opinion or just outright lie.

I personally enjoy reading about Maxima, Letizia and Mary giving them all the credit in the world. I wouldn't want to be them for all the money in Europe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boni View Post
Even though this is a thread about current events, I think it is very relevant to discuss the sources of comments and the slant that is given to particulars of an event. I have read articles written by the journalist that you mention and I find them shallow, misleading and ill-intended. It is not that fact that they criticize Letizia but the way in which any particulars are taken and are twisted in an ill-intended way.

Everything, absolutely everything can be taken and twisted in such a way, is that journalism? Ethical journalism? As a journalist, you report the facts period. You do not color, use innuendo, etc. You let the reader arrive at his/her own conclusions. One personal opinions are just that, personal opinions. That does not make them facts, solid journalism, even if one has a journalism degree. Do we compare tabloids with serious newspapers? They are simply not on the same league. One thing is to write something on a website and a very different one, having one's column published in a regional/national newspaper. Even then, one digs deeper, what is the paper's political position, etc. A journalist might have a journalism degree, many people have, but that does not make the pieces they write something trustworthy. When I look at a piece of news, I think sources. Where was this reported? By whom? Whe one follows coverage and repeatedly finds untruths, innuendo and twisting of facts, one learns to take what one reads by that media person with a grain of salt. At least that is what I do. The fact that something supports one's personal opinion of a situation or a person does not make it a fact or the reality.

Royals and the institution itself answer to the people. Letizia married into that institution and the Spanish Royal House has a say in what she does and how she does it. The fact that there is nothing else to criticize but how thin her arms are, how ugly her shoes are, how boring her outfits are, I find encouraging. She is doing her job and she is doing it well. She is the Princess of Asturias -some people like her, some people do not. Some people like the King, some do not. Some people like the Queen, some do not. Some people like the institution and some do not. It is just the way it is. People are entitled to their opinions. However, in every field there are opportunists. The fact that people need to twist and turn little things because they need to find something to criticize, to fill out space with Letizia's name so that it generates traffic to their site, I find understandable. She sells. And since the Royal House has not made her available to become a media commodity, some people use pedestrian criticism to make a sell anyway. My two cents.
I don't think this is true - there has been a lot of critizism towards Letizia from the beginning, overall the media wasn't ecstatic about Felipe's choice for various reasons (background, qualification etc). Whatever Letizia's impact on the monarchy will be only time will tell.

On the one hand, the Princess is subject of polemic for some parts of the media, on the other hand subject of propaganda for other parts of the media. Both make their money out of it. So I guess Letizia uses the media as well as she is being used by the media - you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Thank god that we live in a free society and whether people want to read or believe the "serious" or the "gossip" media - the classification or interpretation of what is what is a thin line anyway - is up to everybody's own decision.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 17,059
Everything is very simple, is an economic question. It is necessary to fill hours of television, and if the journalists want to continue occupying a chair and earning money, is necessary to have news (and always it sells more a morbid or polemic history). And the same thing happens with the web pages, they need to have visits to be kept.

The Princess is a cheap and profitable option. She does not charge for going to the programs of television or for appearing in the magazines... but she is very profitable for them because she is interested. She is interested for the good thing and for the bad thing.

For the magazine Hola, it is cheaper to have the princess in the cover that to pay the famous one that does not do anything for an exclusive speaking about his life ... and in addition they sell more.

Peñafiel or Barrientos never go to the official acts, and what they do is to resort to gossips or enclosedly Internet forums, as sources of information. If they do not go to the acts, if they do not follow their activities, if they fail in information so elementary as the age of the Infantas ... what are they going to report? And as them others who speak without knowing the Princess and without following closely her activity. They speak for speaking to refill time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Thank god that we live in a free society and whether people want to read or believe the "serious" or the "gossip" media - the classification or interpretation of what is what is a thin line anyway - is up to everybody's own decision.
Nobody here calls Hola 'serious' press or any jouranlist from Hola who said 'Letizia was a perfect princess' a great journalist . Of course, Paloma or Jaime are free to write any gossip articles they want, however there is definitely a fine line between those gossip writers and great journalists (ex. Rosa Maria Calaf) in Spain .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kirkland, United States
Posts: 682
I think that paet of the problem is that nobody really knows anything about Letizia.
Pre-marriage she seemed outspoken and feisty. Now she is quiet and always - ALWAYS - with Felipe at events. Or with the Queen, Elena, etc. She seems to have become very meek and submissive. Where is the Letizia who at the engagement announcement sparkled and seemed to be a breath of fresh air?
She needs to strike out on her own more. She doesn't seem to be stupid - after almost 5 years of marriage I am sure that she could handle a public appearance on her own and not say or do the wrong thing.
The press has nothing to report so the least little incident is blown way up out of proportion or attracts waaaaaaaaay too much attention.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
I think that paet of the problem is that nobody really knows anything about Letizia.
Pre-marriage she seemed outspoken and feisty. Now she is quiet and always - ALWAYS - with Felipe at events. Or with the Queen, Elena, etc. She seems to have become very meek and submissive. Where is the Letizia who at the engagement announcement sparkled and seemed to be a breath of fresh air?
She needs to strike out on her own more. She doesn't seem to be stupid - after almost 5 years of marriage I am sure that she could handle a public appearance on her own and not say or do the wrong thing.
The press has nothing to report so the least little incident is blown way up out of proportion or attracts waaaaaaaaay too much attention.
We already have too many discussions on this subject. I don't think Zarzuela likes any sort of breath of fresh air or anything close to it. The monarchy is about the King and he wants everyone under his firmly control.
On the other hand, the tabloids has never had much interested at the 'work'. Queen Sofia has done plenty of work on her own, nobody from the gossip worlds has a tiny little bit interest. Rumors/gossips is the main course of the pink press in Spain. I'm sure Letizia has learnt to live with it now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: olney, United States
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
I think that paet of the problem is that nobody really knows anything about Letizia.
Pre-marriage she seemed outspoken and feisty. Now she is quiet and always - ALWAYS - with Felipe at events. Or with the Queen, Elena, etc. She seems to have become very meek and submissive. Where is the Letizia who at the engagement announcement sparkled and seemed to be a breath of fresh air?
She needs to strike out on her own more. She doesn't seem to be stupid - after almost 5 years of marriage I am sure that she could handle a public appearance on her own and not say or do the wrong thing.
The press has nothing to report so the least little incident is blown way up out of proportion or attracts waaaaaaaaay too much attention.
I do not think she schedules her own events. Also, it could be that the sponsors of most events invite both the prince and the princess. I do not see her as being meek or submissive. She is now a member of the royal family and she has to act according to
their protocol. One cannot judge a person unless you have been in that person's shoes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Commoner
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't think this is true - there has been a lot of critizism towards Letizia from the beginning, overall the media wasn't ecstatic about Felipe's choice for various reasons (background, qualification etc). Whatever Letizia's impact on the monarchy will be only time will tell.

On the one hand, the Princess is subject of polemic for some parts of the media, on the other hand subject of propaganda for other parts of the media. Both make their money out of it. So I guess Letizia uses the media as well as she is being used by the media - you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Thank god that we live in a free society and whether people want to read or believe the "serious" or the "gossip" media - the classification or interpretation of what is what is a thin line anyway - is up to everybody's own decision.
Yes, we are to be truly thankful we live in a free society where we can read, believe and say what is on our minds. In Spain, certainly, the King is to be thanked for helping bring about that.

At the beginning of the marriage clearly some had reservations about the suitability of Princess Letizia for her position. In my opinion, during this time, she has proven to be able and capable of discharging the duties inherent to her position. That is why I said that many things (“criticisms”) that are read in the gossip press are based on flaky kind of stuff.

I do not believe Princess Letizia is perfect, nobody is. What I object is to the deliberate twisting and turning of facts, to the half-truths, to the blatant lies. Every public servant should be accountable for their actions to the people. The King, the Queen, the Prince and the Princess all are. If there are criticisms to be made, let them be grounded on facts. If people are unhappy with an institution, let it be evaluated on facts.

Gossiping has been going on for a long time and it is used time and again in many areas, not only in the royal world but in the political world as well. That does not mean I do not find it objectionable that people try to pass “gossip” as “news” and that assumptions are made about people’s characters based on “gossip.” It strikes me as terribly unfair. But some will say, life is unfair. It might be, but the fact that something is, does not make it right.

As you say, what Letizia’s impact will be, only time will tell. Queen Ena’s breeding and genealogical tree or that of Queen Ana Maria of Greece for that matter did not seem to help much. Monarchies exist in a complex world and they rise and fall due to multiple political and historical factors. In the present day, Princess Mathilde’s excellent background and behavior does not seem to have made a huge impact in the Belgian political mileu when it comes to the opinion some have of the monarchy (at least in certain areas of that country).
And I do not know what to think about a very interesting royal consort, Prince Phillip, who has an excellent background/breeding/genealogy and a very interesting view and approach to royal protocol. Of course, Greece, Belgium and the United Kingdom are all different countries, with different historical contexts and different political realities so we will really have to wait and see.

By the way, while I certainly agree that some sectors of the media use Letizia, I cannot agree with the statement that “Letizia uses the media.” I simply cannot think about any actions she has taken that indicate that.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess letizia, princess letizia and the press, princess letizia in the press, queen letizia


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frederik and Mary's Introduction and Courtship Rebecky Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 159 12-14-2014 12:58 AM
Fashion Suggestions for Queen Letizia Josefine Royal Style File 228 10-09-2014 01:37 AM
Princess Letizia's Orders carlota King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 13 05-22-2013 04:13 PM
Princess Letizia is admitted to Hospital! Paty King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 137 04-29-2007 11:44 AM




Popular Tags
belgium brussels carl philip charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion genealogy germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit olympics ottoman pieter van vollenhoven poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince daniel prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess madeleine princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]