The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 09-05-2013, 09:43 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Why but of course, Giraffe. Only in Spain do they have the Bourbons.

But seriously, you're spot on. People are being more critical than they need to be (but then isn't that typical of royal watching in general?).
Yes, but we seem to go into overdrive about what the women are wearing, jewelry, whether their kids are behaving.

People are critical of those royals like Inaki and Cristina, and a few others, but the criticism all seems so tepid, comparatively. I don't understand it.
__________________

__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is online now
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

Yes, but we seem to go into overdrive about what the women are wearing, jewelry, whether their kids are behaving.

People are critical of those royals like Inaki and Cristina, and a few others, but the criticism all seems so tepid, comparatively. I don't understand it.
True. But really, we live in a world where no one (women included) like women. My favourite is always when people criticize the royal women for what their children wear as if the kids have no say in the matter.

I do think in general the direct line women get more criticism in general because they're supposed to be "the monarchy" (or it's future). Letizia gets more criticism than Cristina because she's the CP and the future of the monarchy will spring (or have sprung) from her loins and not Cristina's.

That said, the media seems to like to pick a "good" one and a "bad" one when their are two women involved and do their best to stick to that - Letizia was dubbed the "bad" one a while back, so now even though Cristina's actions may be seen as worse, they still have to harp on Letizia more. There's also the "royal" vs the "interloper" angle; Cristina is the real royal, while Letizia is the interloper. We see it elsewhere in other families.

Oh! There's also the "this person (who isn't actually royal but is of royal descent) isn't acting to the standard that I think a royal should act" critique.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 09-06-2013, 04:00 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Duke, I think the opposite... at least in the long term...
because without character, without strength ... you can not withstand the pressure. If you are a weak person you are drawn away and dazzle ... and then you end up like Iñaki.
A strong character doesnt have to openly polarize for everybody to see, as in Letizia's case almost from day one. I think because of this attitude many were 'out to get her' , from the press or the establishment or parts of casareal, including the Kings, very keen to put her into place.

If you are not the ideal candidate, and Letizia clearly wasnt, its difficult to survive without open support of the Kings (a la Mette Marit), and there hasnt even been non-open support.

In general I think if things go wrong, the inlaw is usually the fall guy, and not the royal (see Jaime, Inaki etc).

Quote:
I do not think Letizia knew all about the king's lovers and business, Iñaki's business, or that upfront prepayment severe economic and institutional crisis that Spain would suffer. Nobody could have imagined in 2003 that things would turn out the way they did. In many ways, she is simply a victim of a series of circumstances.
I agree, I wonder if Felipe underestimated the situation too, maybe he thought that enforcing this marriage was enough, that with the position of PoA things would settle down. Its easier to face open opposition than backstabbing, having to pull off a harmony picture for the cameras, something Sofia has brought to perfection. Felipe is like his mother, you'd never see him opposing in public.

I fully agree with the last sentence.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 16,670
Duke, I think that Letizia was a "dose of reality" that the Borbones were unwilling to accept... too comfortable in their privileges to see that the world and the circumstances were changing. King Juan Carlos came a time when hearing so much praise, that was all he heard. Everything that has happened in the last three years, transmits a total disconnection from the real world.

While the press focused on Letizia, they began to lose even more control, and in the end that has led to disaster. The arrival of Letizia coincides with the beginning of the business of Iñaki, buying the mansion, the arrival of Corinna... Letizia was a newcomer to the Royal Family and was probably more critical to a situation that eventually could only bring trouble.

They had two options ... get on board with the family and end up sinking ... or try to swim upstream. In many cases the latter has meant sacrificing Letizia. But probably, if they have not already done there would be no future for the monarchy in Spain.

There's the great contradiction of these stories. With her, prince Felipe has saved from disaster, and his role grows and gains in respect and recognition.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 09-07-2013, 01:08 AM
MARG's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 3,969
I think Letizia is the ultimate media casualty. The last time we saw the real woman, the one that Filipe fell in love with, was at Frederik and Mary's wedding. Here was this elegant, self-assured women who strode majestically beside her fiancé in flame red. She oozed confidence and was sure in the knowledge that at a wedding such as this, nothing could overshadow to bride and so just let herself be herself. The international press ate her up, she was wonderful, Très chic, elegant, and a potential "force". Next to the bride, she was seen as a possible mover and shaker, much as CP Maxima had modelled herself.

Alas, by the very short time her own wedding had arrived, she seemed somehow smaller, fragile, even timid. What happened? Was it the SRF ganging up on her combined with the Spanish press and an overly critical appraisal? Whatever the reason, we have only seen an odd echo of that woman at the wedding, more often swamped by an almost remote detachment and an inability to "live up to" the role she had taken. Buried herself and her individuality where none but those whom she loves best get to see. I think it's a crying shame.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 AM
Bine221's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Munich, Germany
Posts: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Alas, by the very short time her own wedding had arrived, she seemed somehow smaller, fragile, even timid. What happened? Was it the SRF ganging up on her combined with the Spanish press and an overly critical appraisal? Whatever the reason, we have only seen an odd echo of that woman at the wedding, more often swamped by an almost remote detachment and an inability to "live up to" the role she had taken. Buried herself and her individuality where none but those whom she loves best get to see. I think it's a crying shame.
Very interesting.... who is the one, who is putting pressure on her?
The press surely has a huge part - but who else?
* The king?
* The Queen (i.e. do not open your mouth - whereas the Queen did as well???)
* The "Grey eminences" in the Royal Household (similar to the one in Japan)?
* The Spanish protocol (it used to be one of the sharpest in the past)?
* Who or what else?

Bye Bine
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmily View Post
What you say about Maxima being respectful of her position is key, and there are many times Letizia comes across as not understanding that, or quite frankly not caring. JMHO of course. But that is what I see. She seems to be a "my way or the highway" type of person, and that doesn't really work with the family she married into. But she had to have known things would be drastically different when she accepted the proposal.
Everyone in the SRF does what they want, Letizia is the only one in the SRF who has been heavily scrutinized, in fact Letizia hasn't done anything the other members didn't do before, much less. She doesn't like Mallorca ? So ? Sofia also didn't like the family's previous vacation place (it was a farm) , forced JC to move it to Mallorca.

Netherlands and Spain are two different countries, the Dutch RF or the Dutch press is not sexist, so the comparison is meaningless.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:44 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Westmeath, Ireland
Posts: 8,787
vanitatis really doesn't like Letizia,do they! Have they ever written anything positive about her,I wonder why there is so much bile poured on her and what caused this?


Letizia en el Día de la Hispanidad: cuatro aciertos y un error - Noticias de Casas Reales
__________________
4th of August 1900 : Birth of H.M.Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
The way I see it is that many people (especially women) are simply jealous,that´s why they constantly pick on Letizia and critisise everything she does or does not do. A lot of beautiful, successful women receive mean-spirited treatment simply because they look pretty and managed to acchieve something in life! We have a saying that goes "Earning sympathy is easy, but hate needs to be worked hard for"...in that sense I believe that CP Letizia can be proud of herself, even though I am sure it must be quite difficult and emotionally destructive to be in the position she is in.
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
vanitatis really doesn't like Letizia,do they! Have they ever written anything positive about her,I wonder why there is so much bile poured on her and what caused this?


Letizia en el Día de la Hispanidad: cuatro aciertos y un error - Noticias de Casas Reales
Vanitatis´editor in chief has something personal against Leti, that is too obvious for everybody.
What, I don´t have any idea.
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 10-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
The way I see it is that many people (especially women) are simply jealous,that´s why they constantly pick on Letizia and critisise everything she does or does not do.
A lot of beautiful, successful women receive mean-spirited treatment simply because they look pretty and managed to acchieve something in life! We have a saying that goes "Earning sympathy is easy, but hate needs to be worked hard for"...in that sense I believe that CP Letizia can be proud of herself, even though I am sure it must be quite difficult and emotionally destructive to be in the position she is in.
I doubt very much that all criticism concerning Letizia has to do with jealousy. She is in a difficult situation and the family she married into hasn't made things easy for her. Some of the criticism she receives isn't fair, I'll give you that. But much of it is and she makes herself an easy target. Her not drinking at the toast to JC and Spain is a good example. Some posters have poohed-poohed the criticism and asked what the big deal is. When the cameras are rolling and a toast is made to your country and the King, and you happen to be married to the King to be, you should probably drink to that. When husband, mother and sister-in-law drink to that and you simply stare into your cup then of course that will be written about and commented on. And it's ludicrous to think otherwise.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 10-19-2013, 03:18 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,511
If it was only Vanititis, a tabloid website, there would be little worry. Letizia is being critizised by mainstream media like daily newspaper ABC, El Mundo as not being fit for position as consort.

It has only little to do with jealousy, rather with having found an object of interest that can be used for all imaginable purposes (tabloids making money, targeting the SRF, political power struggle etc) without an opportunity to defend herself. I agree that a lot of the problemes are homemade (Zarzuela not supporting Letizia's strength, her character and past with regard to the position she is holding) and this is the result.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 10-19-2013, 05:50 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 2,395
I don´t know about the reasons of ABC, El Mundo and other media, but in the case of Paloma B., from Vanitatis, I´m absolutely sure it´s something personal.

Please, you just have to read all the stupidities about Letizia she´s written all these years, it isn´t logical nor reasonable. Nobody can be so bad

IMO, her case is pure hate. Even Peñafiel is more reasonable (he has actually said one or two nice things about Leti in these 10 years )
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 10-19-2013, 07:09 AM
blauerengel's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 1,732
It is very important to differentiate between reasonable & fair criticism and mean-spirited gossip for no obvious reason. If CP Letizia violates royal protocol, acts impolite or says something stupid I can understand that people complain, because she represents Spain and she is member of a royal family.
I do not know/understand why CP Letizia did not toast to Juan Carlos, but it is acceptable to question and complain about such incidents. Nevertheless, over the years I have noticed that most of the criticism and negative press were either completely made-up stories and fantasies or comments about her looks and appearance, that´s why I get so annoyed....
__________________
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
Avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright exposure.
Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing
. Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 10-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
I don´t know about the reasons of ABC, El Mundo and other media, but in the case of Paloma B., from Vanitatis, I´m absolutely sure it´s something personal.

Please, you just have to read all the stupidities about Letizia she´s written all these years, it isn´t logical nor reasonable. Nobody can be so bad

IMO, her case is pure hate. Even Peñafiel is more reasonable (he has actually said one or two nice things about Leti in these 10 years )
Hate is a strong word. Maybe its a bit of revenge because Letizia ignores the tabloids (having said that, she can only do what Zarzuela allows in this matter) but for me the main reason is that it is very lucrative to write about Letizia, because from a very early stage it was clear that Zarzuela does not defend her or complain, therefore basically you can write about her what you want, true or not, make up or exaggerate stories, there are no consequences or limits. I agree with Emmily that Letizia often invites such stories because of the way she acts in public.

Blauerengel - the critizism of the 'mainstream media' concentrated this summer on what - this is my interpretation - you relate to as 'reasonable/fair critizism': the absence of Letizia on Mallorca island this summer, not staying on for the lunch with Rajoy but preferring her own schedule, only attending the one (forced) outing at the park with the infantas, not speaking to journalists, it was interpreted as violation of duty in the spanish media (not only in the gossip sites).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 16,670
It is completely and utterly impossible for the Princess of Asturias always do all perfect ... because there's always someone looking for something stupid that is, whether the high heels or the length of her hair.

Prince and Princess of Asturias had never attended the lunch with the President in Mallorca ... that's an excuse invented by the press to justify the criticisms that actually has another reason behind it. If it had been necessary had gone to the lunch she had, like when she return to Mallorca for lunch with Michelle Obama.

What happens is that the press wants Letizia is permanently available in Mallorca for them... if from the beginning the press had been friendly with Princess things would be different, but the press wanted a slave on hand to fill headlines and journalists engrossed in their free holiday.

Need to talk about Letizia, even for stupid things, because that is the way to distract from the real issues. The image of the king is so damaged that attack Letizia, the weak element of the prince, is the only way that some found to restore the image of the king. And that is what made ABC and others have followed, probably by an economic and power question.

The king was not in the National Day, and nothing happened ... and as there was nothing else, criticized that Princess had not drunk ... she toast because she raised her glass ... drinking is more optional and many people not always drink on their toast, the princess does not normally (but they find now after years).

The press could have asked Infanta Elena why she does not make an effort and one year she wears a Spanish design for National Day, because she always wears expensive foreigners designer dresses. Or they might have wondered why the Queen had not official event in the next week. Or what they think about the new offenses are investigated on the Infanta Cristina.

It is clear that at this time the economic and political power wants Juan Carlos still on the throne, do not want change. But Juan Carlos with his scandals and health problems it is complicating a lot creating strategies to save his face.

The situation in which the Prince is now is impossibly ridiculous. And most of the attacks on the princess too.

So I'm afraid we expect interesting months
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:13 AM
Alondra's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 294
As usual Lula, the voice of reason.

Got to say I've been giggling how much fuss some press have dedicated to Letizia and her not drinking alcohol on a toast. Obviously the same press "forgot" how many royals and millions of professionals never sip alcohol when toasting at work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:37 AM
ANNIE_S's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: -, Spain
Posts: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post

The press could have asked Infanta Elena why she does not make an effort and one year she wears a Spanish design for National Day, because she always wears expensive foreigners designer dresses. Or they might have wondered why the Queen had not official event in the next week. Or what they think about the new offenses are investigated on the Infanta Cristina.
Aaahhh, isn´t this the truth, Lula?

I´m so tired of the same anti-Leti critics/news/romours over and over that I´m not goint to waste an only more word on this.

If people refuses to see her with objetivity, I can´t do nothing to change that.
__________________
Palaces are not the ones that dignify kings; kings are the ones who honor them with their presence.
Isabel, ep. 26

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 8,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Prince and Princess of Asturias had never attended the lunch with the President in Mallorca ... that's an excuse invented by the press to justify the criticisms that actually has another reason behind it. If it had been necessary had gone to the lunch she had, like when she return to Mallorca for lunch with Michelle Obama.
If I recall correctly, Felipe did attend the lunch with Rajoy and the King, he didnt attend the lunch with Mrs Obama, only Letizia did with the Kings.

Quote:
What happens is that the press wants Letizia is permanently available in Mallorca for them... if from the beginning the press had been friendly with Princess things would be different, but the press wanted a slave on hand to fill headlines and journalists engrossed in their free holiday.
It Mallorca issue stems from longtime deals and connections of the King, over the decades the island government has paid for the palace, for the boat and in return the King showed up and brought attention to Mallorca, kind of a win-win situation for both. Not only the press was angry, because only the princess sells = less money, but also the businessmen, of course the establishment who benefitted (like the royals over the years) will not accept that the consort princess openly doesnt give a toss about these things.

Quote:
The king was not in the National Day, and nothing happened ... and as there was nothing else, criticized that Princess had not drunk ... she toast because she raised her glass ... drinking is more optional and many people not always drink on their toast, the princess does not normally (but they find now after years).
Its someting that could have been avoided so easily, knowing exactly what would happen if only Letizia doesnt drink but looks annoyed into her cup. What is so difficult for the self proclaimed 'perfectionist' Letizia to order a glass of water or juice for herself. Its a good example of how she attracts such discussions because by now even the least intelligent person in Spain will have understood that the press is out there looking for such incidents.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 10-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Alondra's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Aaahhh, isn´t this the truth, Lula?

I´m so tired of the same anti-Leti critics/news/romours over and over that I´m not goint to waste an only more word on this.

If people refuses to see her with objetivity, I can´t do nothing to change that.
Annie, many of us are truly tired of the same Letizia's criticism - i.e. she doesn't dress like a "princess", she is too thin, she had a nose job done.....etc, etc. Some press/people will always focus on the shallow because it sells....Fortunately for us, we DO have a great Princess of Asturias - she is bright, intelligent, confident and adores Spain.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
princess letizia, princess letizia and the press, princess letizia in the press, queen letizia


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fashion Suggestions for Queen Letizia Josefine Royal Style File 227 07-22-2014 08:30 PM
Princess Letizia's Orders carlota King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 13 05-22-2013 04:13 PM
Frederik and Mary's Introduction and Courtship Rebecky Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary and Family 151 02-02-2013 05:02 AM
Princess Letizia is admitted to Hospital! Paty King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 137 04-29-2007 11:44 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events duchess of cambridge fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympic games ottoman poland pom president hollande prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit wedding william winter olympics 2014



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]