Proclamation of King Felipe VI: June 19, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Sofia is a wonderful lady, i hope she continues with her official duties.

Its little wonder she's the most popular member of the family,she will be a great asset to King Felipe!

I´m rewatching the video of the balcony appearance (personal fav moment of the day), and I´m becoming so teary :p
Saludo de los reyes desde el balcón del Palacio Real de Madrid, Especiales informativos - RTVE.es A la Carta

And I´ve read on another forum that the Royal Palace is UGLY. Sorry whaaaaat? It´s among the very best in Europe! Did you see that footage?:lol:

More highlights of the day:

Don Juan Carlos impone el fajín de capitán general al rey Felipe VI, Especiales informativos - RTVE.es A la Carta Imposing the sash.

Juramento del rey Felipe VI ante las Cortes Generales, Especiales informativos - RTVE.es A la Carta The oath (missing the National Athem part :ermm:)

El rey Felipe VI ofrece una "monarquía renovada para un tiempo nuevo", Especiales informativos - RTVE.es A la Carta Short part of the speech

Discurso íntegro del rey Felipe VI en la ceremonia de proclamación ante las Cortes, Especiales informativos - RTVE.es A la Carta full speech

I think they are the best royal couple in europe in terms of look, beauty, freshaness and commintment...

Begorra its been shown on the Irish RTE lunchtime news :clap:

They seem such a close family, I love all the affection shown between them all.

I watch the proclamation live at zdf german tv. It was so good. The queen sofia infanta elena they cry. The couple king and queen the children it was all so beautiful!!!

Well, it is very clear that it is all about Felipe since he is standing in the car while his wife is seated. Before the military passed she also took a step back at the platform, as did her daughters. I wouldn't have minded her receiving a bit more attention, she has been an impeccable princess of Asturias. But at parlament she was mentioned and received applause and it is her husbands day after all.

Large crowds along the route IMO, 10 rows or more in most areas (and it is a long route!). Nice to see so much enthousiasm and so many Spanish flags. Unlike the correspondant of 'The Times' I didn't see any republican flags on TVE. Madrid is a beautiful city btw.

Very wise, letting him shine at this important day......
her days are coming now :p
BYe Bine

you can't compare it to the Dutch enthronement. It was the Queen's/King's day, which is just a big nation-wide party, really.
During the Belgian Accession it was also the National Day.

Today is also a national holiday in Spain though (the Catholic feast of Corpus Christi).

Last edited:
I think there are more people here than in both the Netherlands and Belgium, this is a much longer route.

I agree. In the other proclamations, there was a small Space. I have been in the Royal Palace and the Plaza is enormous. Beautiful Royal Family!

It is only holiday in Madrid, nor in Spain.

I think the distance from de Congress to the Palace is almost 2,5 kilometers

Well, it is very clear that it is all about Felipe since he is standing in the car while his wife is seated. Before the military passed she also took a step back at the platform, as did her daughters. I wouldn't have minded her receiving a bit more attention, she has been an impeccable princess of Asturias. But at parlament she was mentioned and received applause and it is her husbands day after all.

Large crowds along the route IMO, 10 rows or more in most areas (and it is a long route!). Nice to see so much enthousiasm and so many Spanish flags. Unlike the correspondant of 'The Times' I didn't see any republican flags on TVE. Madrid is a beautiful city btw.
Loved seeing the King standing in the car. And the reception he received was very touching. What hit me most was when they were waiting to get in the cars and it seems the King and Queens roles took a backseat for a moment and they were just Dad and Mom when the girls came out. Especially Letizia, walking them to their care and making sure they were okay. Very touching.

Loved seeing the King standing in the car. And the reception he received was very touching. What hit me most was when they were waiting to get in the cars and it seems the King and Queens roles took a backseat for a moment and they were just Dad and Mom when the girls came out. Especially Letizia, walking them to their care and making sure they were okay. Very touching.

It is very significant that King Felipe VI chose to stand up considering that, until yesterday, the expectation was that he wouldn't even ride in an open car for security reasons. Like Pope Francis , who ditched his "papa-mobile", I see it as a personal statement from the new king.

Forgive me if I've missed it, but have the announced what JC and Sofia are to go by now? Will they still be King & Queen like Albert & Paola?

Forgive me if I've missed it, but have the announced what JC and Sofia are to go by now? Will they still be King & Queen like Albert & Paola?

That's correct, they will continue to retain their titles of King and Queen. I suspect, like the UK, the King and the Queen will be the reinging monarchs, whilst the older coupel will be referred to as King JC and Queen S.

Princess (now Queen) Letizia has been criticized though in the past for being too protective of her daughters and shielding them too much from public events.

I know that is a controversial topic, but I personally prefer the way princess Victoria and prince Daniel for example are raising princess Estelle. By the time she is the same age as Leonor is now, she will be so used to public ceremonies that it will have become second nature to her. Even princess Catharina-Amalia or princess Elisabeth of Belgium seem more at ease with public attention than infanta (now princess) Leonor.

Souvenirs

Is there an on-line site where proclamation souvenirs can be purchased overseas?

Great videos on the casareal youtube channel. Leonor and Sofia were very well behaved but it looks like it was a hot day in Spain! The sun was clearly in their eyes on the balcony.

I really don't think this is the right moment for her to appear at a public royal event. The new king needs to start with a clean slate, no need to have a reminder there of what made the slate dirty.

--
According to TVE the family of Queen Letizia is there too. I didn't see them yet on television. I supposed that they are seated in the galleries, like the family of Q. Mathilde was in the Belgian parlament.

I can certainly see your point, but, Cristina has not been found guilty of any crime in court. She has only been questioned. What if she is found not guilty [not that I truly believe she is innocent] but it certainly is a very important day in the life of her family and country.

How wonderful for Spain long live king Felipe! What a fantastic couple so obviously crazy for each other and highly intelligent. Letitia plays it just right is a fantastic wife and mother yet I'm sure kf confident in all matters .balcony scene says it all. How brilliant to stand up in the car,courage! And the fabulous horses,plumes,cannons,crowds. Can't wait to see all the video and read a translation of the speech. The girls were perfection,no words to describe!

Back
Top Bottom