The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-19-2014, 09:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_Aster View Post
you can't compare it to the Dutch enthronement. It was the Queen's/King's day, which is just a big nation-wide party, really.
During the Belgian Accession it was also the National Day.
Today is also a national holiday in Spain though (the Catholic feast of Corpus Christi).

Old 06-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY View Post
I think there are more people here than in both the Netherlands and Belgium, this is a much longer route.
I agree. In the other proclamations, there was a small Space. I have been in the Royal Palace and the Plaza is enormous. Beautiful Royal Family!

Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

It is only holiday in Madrid, nor in Spain.

I think the distance from de Congress to the Palace is almost 2,5 kilometers
Old 06-19-2014, 10:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, it is very clear that it is all about Felipe since he is standing in the car while his wife is seated. Before the military passed she also took a step back at the platform, as did her daughters. I wouldn't have minded her receiving a bit more attention, she has been an impeccable princess of Asturias. But at parlament she was mentioned and received applause and it is her husbands day after all.

Large crowds along the route IMO, 10 rows or more in most areas (and it is a long route!). Nice to see so much enthousiasm and so many Spanish flags. Unlike the correspondant of 'The Times' I didn't see any republican flags on TVE. Madrid is a beautiful city btw.
Loved seeing the King standing in the car. And the reception he received was very touching. What hit me most was when they were waiting to get in the cars and it seems the King and Queens roles took a backseat for a moment and they were just Dad and Mom when the girls came out. Especially Letizia, walking them to their care and making sure they were okay. Very touching.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Hand in hand to the throne
Felipe & Letizia von Spanien Hand in Hand auf dem Thron BUNTE.de
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Loved seeing the King standing in the car. And the reception he received was very touching. What hit me most was when they were waiting to get in the cars and it seems the King and Queens roles took a backseat for a moment and they were just Dad and Mom when the girls came out. Especially Letizia, walking them to their care and making sure they were okay. Very touching.
It is very significant that King Felipe VI chose to stand up considering that, until yesterday, the expectation was that he wouldn't even ride in an open car for security reasons. Like Pope Francis , who ditched his "papa-mobile", I see it as a personal statement from the new king.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:32 AM
Serene Highness

Forgive me if I've missed it, but have the announced what JC and Sofia are to go by now? Will they still be King & Queen like Albert & Paola?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Forgive me if I've missed it, but have the announced what JC and Sofia are to go by now? Will they still be King & Queen like Albert & Paola?
That's correct, they will continue to retain their titles of King and Queen. I suspect, like the UK, the King and the Queen will be the reinging monarchs, whilst the older coupel will be referred to as King JC and Queen S.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Princess (now Queen) Letizia has been criticized though in the past for being too protective of her daughters and shielding them too much from public events.

I know that is a controversial topic, but I personally prefer the way princess Victoria and prince Daniel for example are raising princess Estelle. By the time she is the same age as Leonor is now, she will be so used to public ceremonies that it will have become second nature to her. Even princess Catharina-Amalia or princess Elisabeth of Belgium seem more at ease with public attention than infanta (now princess) Leonor.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Souvenirs

Is there an on-line site where proclamation souvenirs can be purchased overseas?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Nobility

Why a new coat of arms?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

Great videos on the casareal youtube channel. Leonor and Sofia were very well behaved but it looks like it was a hot day in Spain! The sun was clearly in their eyes on the balcony.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Courtier

I realize this is "after the fact" but I found this interesting...

Coronation of King Felipe VI: The first day of King Felipe VI’s reign | Media | EL PAÍS
Old 06-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I really don't think this is the right moment for her to appear at a public royal event. The new king needs to start with a clean slate, no need to have a reminder there of what made the slate dirty.

--
According to TVE the family of Queen Letizia is there too. I didn't see them yet on television. I supposed that they are seated in the galleries, like the family of Q. Mathilde was in the Belgian parlament.
I can certainly see your point, but, Cristina has not been found guilty of any crime in court. She has only been questioned. What if she is found not guilty [not that I truly believe she is innocent] but it certainly is a very important day in the life of her family and country.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

How wonderful for Spain long live king Felipe! What a fantastic couple so obviously crazy for each other and highly intelligent. Letitia plays it just right is a fantastic wife and mother yet I'm sure kf confident in all matters .balcony scene says it all. How brilliant to stand up in the car,courage! And the fabulous horses,plumes,cannons,crowds. Can't wait to see all the video and read a translation of the speech. The girls were perfection,no words to describe!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Majesty

The coronation of King Felipe VI| Blogs•Spletnik.ru

Photos of the coronation | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

Infanta Elena looked regal.

Tags
infanta leonor, infanta sofia, king felipe, king felipe vi, princess of asturias, proclamation, queen letizia