The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The King of Spain holds the title Catholic Majesty, but by a 1987 decree he does not use it, instead preferring His Majesty. Catholic Majesty is one of the traditional titles of the King of Spain.
We can address him with every historic, dynastic or pretended title we want but of course the only official style is which is used in all Acts, Decrees, Orders and Treaties as published in the Boletín Oficial del Estado. We can even call him King of Jerusalem, if we like. But the only official used title is Rey de España, eventually with the prefix Su Majestad.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Is it known if there will be an appearance at the Balcony of the Royal Palace.. It could be either after the abdication like in the Netherlands so that Juan Carlos could present Felipe as the new King or after the Ceremony in the Parliament.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM
Serene Highness

I assume the children will be there for part of the ceremonies?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think so to, Leonor and Sofia will be there for sure. I have doubts about Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina's children, but perhaps they'll be there, it's a very important event.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
I assume the children will be there for part of the ceremonies?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app
Sure at the Parliament ceremony.

Don´t know about the abdication, though.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamta View Post
Exactly. And the monarchy IS about tradition. Kings were always consecrated by some ecclesiastical ritual. If they can't do that now, at least attending a mass before the event would not hurt.
Exactly. At least, there are still people who can understand it.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Heir Apparent

The SRF could opt for a private Mass to celebrate this day.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

And people are still going on with the mass... time to move on, there won't be any. Many of us already said so, and explained why.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I don't believe the Spanish Bishops have a problem with this so lets move on!

¿Cómo se han tomado los obispos que no haya misa en la coronación de Felipe VI?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe both girls should attend the inauguration.
And I'd also like to see Felipe's sisters by his side on that important day.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Maybe there is no Statement of the Catholic Bishops about the fact there will no Mass but the Spanish Catholic understood their King does not want to ask for God's blessing for his reign and he does not want to be considered as a Catholic King. It is time for the Spanish Catholics to think if they should continue to support such a King.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Maybe there is no Statement of the Catholic Bishops about the fact there will no Mass but the Spanish Catholic understood their King does not want to ask for God's blessing for his reign and he does not want to be considered as a Catholic King. It is time for the Spanish Catholics to think if they should continue to support such a King.
As the majority of Spanish Catholics are non-practicing (or seldom-practicing), I doubt there would be much of a fuss. Some of the native Spaniards on here I'm sure could provide better insight, but based on what I've been hearing about regarding the abdication, and based on my own experiences in Spain, it seems to me that having or not having a mass is probably not among the forefront of most people's concerns.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Then, since the majority of the Spanish population is not practicing Catholic, I guess it´s way smarter from the new King pleasing them instead of the deeply religious grups.

So, still well done

Old 06-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I'm a practicing Catholic and I don't think King Felipe VI will need a public Mass to thank God for his ascension. He can thank God alone at the privacy of his room. Faith is not a question exihibition.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its 2014 & not 1814,most ordinary Spaniard have much greater matters to worry about and I haven't seen any evidence of a public outcry!
Old 06-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Its 2014 & not 1814,most ordinary Spaniard have much greater matters to worry about and I haven't seen any evidence of a public outcry!
Exactly. I´ve been raised Catholic myself and I really don´t understand why so many eople seem upset with this. For me it is absolutely understandable.

Even the most Catholic people in my family, like my grandmother, hadn´t even think about the Mass. They are (like we all are) more interested on what Felipe is going to say at his first speech as King than on a possible mass with foreign guests.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

I wish Felipe, Letizia and the daughters acenassem from the balcony of the Royal Palace to the population on the day of enthronement.
Old 06-07-2014, 03:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Cory, surely this will be a shock for you.

The Episcopal Conference assumes that no mass in the proclamation of Felipe VI

The general secretary and spokesman for the Spanish Episcopal Conference, José María Gil Tamayo, has been framed within the "normal" of a secular State that the proclamation of King Felipe VI takes place without any religious act.

"In Spain of the XXI century the concept is different than in the coronation of King Juan Carlos, when there was still a state church and the Constitution had not been approved", he justified.

La Conferencia Episcopal asume que no haya misa en la proclamaci?n de Felipe VI
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
The SRF could opt for a private Mass to celebrate this day.
I hope so. Nothing invokes a sense of reverence, duty and respect like a cold, secular inauguration, no? Just leave God out of it and all will be well!

All sarcasm aside I am both saddened and confused by how eager people seem to be to cut out and suppress what has been, for better or worse- the second most defining institution in the history of Spain...the Roman Catholic Church.

Why must people in their never ending quest for what they feel is integration and "progress" abandon the things that make them special, who they are?

Would Spain still be Spain without it's monasteries, it's spectacular Cathedrals and it's identity as a Catholic country?

Don't be so quick to abandon it all for secularism and atheism. It's not all it's cracked up to be.

God bless and good luck to the new King and Queen but I have no interest at all in watching this "installation".

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 06-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Serene Highness

Most people whether of any religion or of none prefer to mark the major events in their lives with some ceremony. In the case of Spain I would imagine that the majority of the mainly Cathoilc populace, whether they attend Mass every week or not, baptize the majority of their children; marry in Church and receive requiem Masses upon dying. Many, if not most, people wish to mark the major milestones in their lives in a similar fashion be they Christian, Jewish, Muslim,humanist, whatever. Felipe is a Catholic, how devout I don't know, but to have had a Mass asking for God's blessing on his Kingship I think would have been most appropriate and I think most Spaniards would have understood this.

Tags
enthronement, inauguration, king felipe vi, musings, queen letizia, spain