Princess of Asturias Named "Favourite Citizen" of Oviedo: October 24, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried to translate in speech of the Princess, wait that like that you can to do an idea of it.;)

"La ciudad de mis recuerdos"

" The city of my recollections "

Thank you, thank you very much mayor, and people and members of this municipal Corporation for the generosity and the affection that the Town hall of Oviedo me demonstrates on having had granted this high distinction to me.

A generosity and an affection present in the nice words of the Mayor and of the president of the Asturias. I want to be grateful also for such a hot reception of whom you have wanted to accompany me in this act.

To all, of heart, my major one, and more felt gratitude.

I feel emotion and pride for being here with all of you, for being in my city in the place where I was lucky to be born and grow. And where I receive with all fondness, in this lounge of plenary sessions on that I have trodden so often, the title of favorite daughter of my dear city of Oviedo.

It is not easy to find the just words with which to express the special meaning that has for me to come to this solemn act in company of the Prince of Asturias, with whom I share the intense fondness that we take the two as Oviedo and as the whole Asturias. He is an honorary mayor for almost 20 years and I assure them that he remembers me it always proudly and gratitude.

I receive the title and the emblem of favorite daughter with humility, consciously of the important merits of those who have preceded me in this distinction. And I receive it also with happiness for what it represents this city and all the ovetenses.

There is no honor comparable to the honor of being received by the natal city as favorite daughter when this city has had so illustrious children. And I wanted to correspond to this privilege dedicating my deeper affection and my admiration to Oviedo and to its peoples. Here, living every day, I learned to love and admire this land, to Asturias and to entire Spain.

An active and calm city, depositary of an enormous historical, patrimony artistic and cultural and deeply tied to the Wreath and on having developed of Spain, since the mayor has said. To its valuable thousand-year-old history, there adds today a dynamism and an international projection that they do of Oviedo a modern, Asturian, Spanish and European city.

Oviedo is in addition the city of my recollections and I might speak about thousands about them, all the beautiful ones, about the life that I passed here. I am ovetense, daughter and granddaughter of Asturians, and feel very close to this city.

Here there is my school, my institute, the place where I felt for the first time that I was beginning my professional life.

Mayor and masters members of the municipal Corporation, as Princess of Asturias I promise to correspond loyally to the title of favorite daughter of Oviedo before whom you have the legitimate representation of the citizens.

Thank you again for this distinction. There will be opportunities promptly, surely, in order that I return to Oviedo together with the Prince of Asturias and our daughters, the infantas. They will know, already they know, that Oviedo is always in the heart of their parents.

Thanks lula for helping to translate the Speech. It's quite moved, seeing the line "in the hearts of their parents". Wish one day to see the Infantas come and visit the vity of Oviedo. Also great to see Letizia's grandma, she would have been so happy.

Thanks all for the pics!:flowers:
Letizia looks happy and bright!
It must have been a great day for her!
IN MY OPINION, it isn't very nice to repeat an outfit after such a short time.
It is a bit unrespectful, though her kind choice of wearing a blue dress in honour of Oviedo.
I like the coat and the dress is ok, but they don't look nice togheter and the grey stockings and the bag are ugly, but she looks better than last time she wore the same outfit, maybe because it is colder and it is in the afternoon or maybe because there aren't the Queen and the Infantas to compare her with.
Nobody can deny that Philippe adores his wife. When he kisses her hand he is so sweet. Letizia is a lucky woman!
Last but not least, I wonder why posters become so rude in this forum and don't respect the different opinions. The worst posters are those ones who never, never, never accept even a small criticism on Letizia.
In MY OPINION, of course.

I think some of the remarks to Duke and Crisiñaki are pretty absurd and quite rude. Duke and Crisiñaki are probably two of the few who actually make sense and give credit when credit is due. There is no reason to attack them like that.
Totally right, Roxsteve:flowers:

Thank you for all pics and reports!

I don't understand the discussion about Leitia's hair either. Ok, she could have worn a more extravagant one but this isn't a handycap to look good. I'm not really on top of the news regardning fashion but to me she didn't make anything wrong with her appearance, it was ok...

I think all in all it was a nice evening for the Princess. But as Duke of Marmalade commented before, I don't understand why Letizia seems to be so nervous sometimes. She has no reason to. I find strange that Felipe had to explain her 3 times to take this stick... Normally she should have known that, shouldn't she? Well, I could imagine myself in that same situation and I would have reacted even worse because of nerviousity, but she... Maybe everything isn't that complicated but just seeing it in TV it makes me wondering.
Nevertheless, I liked her speech and her appearance.

I find strange that Felipe had to explain her 3 times to take this stick... Normally she should have known that, shouldn't she? Well, I could imagine myself in that same situation and I would have reacted even worse because of nerviousity, but she... Maybe everything isn't that complicated but just seeing it in TV it makes me wondering.
Nevertheless, I liked her speech and her appearance.

I understand your not knowledge of the protocol, and explain to you. Really it was logical that the Princess was feeling upset. The Prince yielded the stick to his wife, but the certain thing is that for protocol it was not corresponding to the Princess to have it. The stick is a symbol of control of the mayor, and the mayor was giving it to the Prince because he has the title of Honorary Mayor of the City. The Princess is Favorite Daughter, and for this title she does not correspond to her to take the stick.

Or the Prince was wrong,or was a gesture to give the protagonism to the Princess ... but for protocol, was the Prince who must have caught it.

Thanks lula for the explaination! Now it makes sense to me ;)

Thank you for all pics and reports!

I think all in all it was a nice evening for the Princess. But as Duke of Marmalade commented before, I don't understand why Letizia seems to be so nervous sometimes. She has no reason to. I find strange that Felipe had to explain her 3 times to take this stick... Normally she should have known that, shouldn't she? Well, I could imagine myself in that same situation and I would have reacted even worse because of nerviousity, but she... Maybe everything isn't that complicated but just seeing it in TV it makes me wondering.

The stick was for Felipe since he was/is the Mayor of Honor of Oviedo. He suddenly decided to let his wife be the Mayor of Honor this time. how could she know ? Of course he had to tell her to take the stick and explain to her a little.

You cannot be serious :rolleyes: I always thought that these events are planned and discussed months in advance :rolleyes: Even if she knew a few days before she could have taken care of proper clothing. The more I see that more I believe that she simply does not have anyone to help her in the dressing / styling department and no time to take care, hence the poor result.

No kidding. True, the event was planned and discussed months in advance, but the location and exact time (ex. day or night) for the event to take place were still unknown a couple of weeks ago when the event was announced. Prince Felipe Auditorium was mentioned as one of the possible places.

Thank you :) The hair has become the most disturbing issue when appearing in public lately.

The style of the thick bangs and hair all over the face doesn't suit her. I don't know how she can do with her bangs, maybe borrow Leonor's hair clips ;).

Lula said:
I understand your not knowledge of the protocol, and explain to you. Really it was logical that the Princess was feeling upset. The Prince yielded the stick to his wife, but the certain thing is that for protocol it was not corresponding to the Princess to have it. The stick is a symbol of control of the mayor, and the mayor was giving it to the Prince because he has the title of Honorary Mayor of the City. The Princess is Favorite Daughter, and for this title she does not correspond to her to take the stick.

Or the Prince was wrong,or was a gesture to give the protagonism to the Princess ... but for protocol, was the Prince who must have caught it.

The stick was for Felipe since he was/is the Mayor of Honor of Oviedo. He suddenly decided to let his wife be the Mayor of Honor this time. how could she know ? Of course he had to tell her to take the stick and explain to her a little.

Thank you lula and DonnaK for explaining the confusion about the stick. I did found it a bit confusing as well.
I doubt Felipe was mistaken, he probably wanted to 'honour' Letizia, which is a very nice gesture. :)

the stick information is nice to know, i was wondering why they had a stick & what it was for. did Felipe get crtisized for giving Letizia the stick or did it pass as "okay". Letizia must have been shocked or not knowing what to do

The stick of control is an attribute of all the Spanish mayors, when the King visits a village or a town hall always the mayor gives him because the King is like Chief of the State, Honorary Mayor of all the town halls. In case of the Prince, he has this title of personal form in some town halls as that of Oviedo.

Beautiful pics LadyFinn! I love when Felipe kissed Letizia's hand:wub:

Thanks for all these pics. Felipe seems younger in Oviedo !!

That's a trademark of the SRF, the Queen and the Infantas aren't precisely fashion icons, they are almost always very well dressed (elegance, "percha" as we would say in spanish) but never to the "fashion" point:)

The Queen and Elena were usually well dressed, Cristina, sometimes, other times dressed boring or a bit masculine. I like Elena, but one needs more than just clothes to be a fashion icon, a pretty face, or at least an interesting face to be on the covers of the magazines.

Last edited:
Thank you lula and DonnaK for explaining the confusion about the stick. I did found it a bit confusing as well.
I doubt Felipe was mistaken, he probably wanted to 'honour' Letizia, which is a very nice gesture. :)

That's what he wanted, I think the same. From time to time he tries to put emphasis on his wife with an odd gesture and the result is confusion because nobody is prepared for the situation. I recall an event earlier this year in Madrid when Felipe did a prize presentation. The honoured guy took his prize, shook Felipe's hand and wanted to leave the stage. Felipe called him back and asked him to shake Letizia's hand too, as if he wanted to say 'please recognize that she's part of the team'. He was probably right that the guy should have done the handshake in the first place but made the situation look embarrassing when calling him back; demonstrating a lack of spontaneity or composure.

That's what he wanted, I think the same. From time to time he tries to put emphasis on his wife with an odd gesture and the result is confusion because nobody is prepared for the situation. I recall an event earlier this year in Madrid when Felipe did a prize presentation. The honoured guy took his prize, shook Felipe's hand and wanted to leave the stage. Felipe called him back and asked him to shake Letizia's hand too, as if he wanted to say 'please recognize that she's part of the team'. He was probably right that the guy should have done the handshake in the first place but made the situation look embarrassing when calling him back; demonstrating a lack of spontaneity or composure.

I think he is very smart but lacks common sense.

Yep. You are right. :rolleyes:

Vanesa.

I think Felipe's decision of honoring his wife at her special day was rather spontaneous and sweet. It did surprise her, or even the mayor, it's only natural. No one from the press was making a big deal out of it. However, calling the award winner back at the other event was a bit akward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom