Princess Letizia's Visit to Berlin: March 1, 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Lula, but at the beginning of her speech she speaks a little bit german. In the video that I have posted you can hear it. Its definitley her voice and not a translator. The rest of her speech was naturally in spanish.

Sorry Lula, but she speaks german. In the video that I have posted you can hear it. Its definitley her voice. The rest of her speech was naturally in spanish.

She said a few words, but she does not speak German. In some occasions they prepare some words in the language of the country.

Heyy thanks for that link asturiana, that was a nice gesture of her!! :)

She said a few words, but she does not speak German. In some occasions they prepare some words in the language of the country.
Exactly. This is what I wanted to say. Sorry, for my bad english.
Youre welcome, Mari.

what did she say in german? i wonder if her pronounciation of the few sentences was well-taken care of, as some articles mentioned when she spoke in catalan that she had a really good accent. i guess it was fruit of some practising.
otherwise, i'm very glad letizia got her first solo trip abroad, finally! after 6 years, it seems that it was worth the wait.

what did she say in german?
"Guten Tag. Ich freue mich sehr hier zu sein. Frau Köhler- vielen Dank, dass Sie mich eingeladen haben."
which means:
" Good day. I am very happy to be here. Mrs Köhler - thanks alot for inviting me!"

carlota said:
i wonder if her pronounciation of the few sentences was well-taken care of, as some articles mentioned when she spoke in catalan that she had a really good accent. i guess it was fruit of some practising.
She had a very sweet and typical spanish accent. ;)

Very nice gesture of her to start her speech in German.

I have to say that I really like the cause of Letizia's first visit alone. The Köhler foundation for rare diseases is a great organization.
It would be great to see Letizia being invloved in many more engagements of this kind.
I only heard parts of her speech; but what she said gave me the impression that this is a topic she really cares for and in which she is very interested.
It would be great to see her having an own foundation of that kind one day!

Last edited:
privately between Letizia and President Köhler and his wife - what language would they speak in spanish, german or english

she wrote in the visitors book in english - and used the US spelling of 'honour' image she even signed her name in the english form 'Princess of Asturias'

Last edited:
thanks her majesty for the clarifications!

privately between Letizia and President Köhler and his wife - what language would they speak in spanish, german or english

she wrote in the visitors book in english - and used the US spelling of 'honour' image she even signed her name in the english form 'Princess of Asturias'

i also noticed letizia's US spelling - probably not strange, as that's how felipe must sign in guestbooks (since he studied in georgetown). i wouldn't be surprised if their accent was somehow american when they speak also.

regarding the language, that's a good question: i don't think mrs. kohler speaks spanish and i don't think letizia speaks german, so i'd say it's definitely english, which would probably mean that letizia took some advanced classes, probably in their pre-wedding period.

EDIT: i have just googled this: letizia seems to have taken classes of english before her wedding with Michael Howitt, a very respectable english teacher who taught many spanish diplomats and several directors of the royal house. however, in an article they mention he "cannot tolerate" americanisms (he is british), so i'm surprised of letizia's american spelling.

Last edited:
it's nice to see princess laetizia doing a traval abroad alone, i find her very classy and professional:flowers:

La reválida berlinesa de Letizia · ELPAÍS.com
The black coat and dark blue dress of the Princess of Asturias contrasted with the red carpet at the Berlinale distinguished occasions.
Pero "Letizia von Spanien" no venía a que la homenajearan, sino a participar en el reconocimiento al trabajo de dos científicos alemanes que luchan contra una de las casi 7.000 "enfermedades raras" que aquejan a 30 millones de europeos.​
But "Letizia von Spanien" did not come to that honor, but to participate in the recognition of the work of two German scientists who fight one of nearly 7,000 "rare diseases" that afflict 30 million Europeans

La Nueva España - Diario Independiente de Asturias - Última Página - Con el alcalde de Berlín
Letizia morning held its first meeting with the Mayor of Berlin, the Social Democrat Klaus Wowereit, one of the three they picked last October in Oviedo on prize "Prince of Asturias» de la Concorde, granted to the German city.

wow, letizia was wonderful during this visit to germany! :flowers: She was glowing, self-confident and she really looked very realexed and happy with what she did.
This was a wonderful first solo-visit. :clap:

Definately a good trip for her. I'm very proud of her taking on her 1st oversees solo visit. Hopefully, there are more to come.

Hello anda Hola magazines are not objectives. The have a special policy with the royals.

Back
Top Bottom