Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Letizia currently heads a survey of 20 minutos regarding the most annoying person, even before Aznar, Hugo Chavez or Lewis Hamilton (!) :lol:

Funny enough even Pope Benedict or Queen Elizabeth II are to be found on this list, too.

I am personally missing Borja Thyssen & Blanca Cuesta.

PERSONAJES ODIOSOS - Listas - 20minutos.es

Ouch! She strucks me as someone who needs attention constantly! I don't know if she is the most annoying one, but, definitely, she is in the first ten! I think Victoria Beckham is one of the top! Letizia should just try to be herself. The tiara has gone up to her head!

Ouch! She strucks me as someone who needs attention constantly!

What did she do compared to the other royals for seeking more media attention ? Letizia is among the most discreet royals. She and Felipe never blah blah talked about their private life in the media, posed for fashion/tabloid magazines, almost never leaked (except for a couple of special occasions ex. Leonor went to the zoo since they didn't make it to the Easter Sunday mass in Mallorca last year) any private outings or holidays to the media. I can guarantee you that she would have been on the cover of the 4 major Spanish magazines every single week if she really seeked attention.

Ouch! She strucks me as someone who needs attention constantly! I don't know if she is the most annoying one, but, definitely, she is in the first ten! I think Victoria Beckham is one of the top! Letizia should just try to be herself. The tiara has gone up to her head!

Tell me how she's "someone who needs attention constantly"? In my opinion, of all the crown princesses she's the one who couldn't be accused of that. She has never done any magazine interviews or photoshoots unlike one princess in Scandinavia or oversmiling from ear to ear to the crowd unlike one from the Benelux. Does that mean that they also crave for attention? I'm just wondering how you define seeking attention constantly. How do you like Letizia to "just try to be herself"? How has "the tiara gone up to her head"? Can you expound on it a little bit more?

Ouch! She strucks me as someone who needs attention constantly!

I would say you an European crown princess who constantly NEEDS attention (I am sure that if she did not have it she would die) ... but I do not like comparisons.
I think that you have described Letizia very badly. The princes of Asturias are one of the most discrete couples dear Roxsteve.

I'd have to agree with rhe last 3 posts, Letizia does very little by way of "attention-seeking".

How come? I don't understand why? She's not so fashion savvy like one of the Scandinavian princess who seemed to look at her closet 100 times before she can decide on what she'll wear for her royal duties so she will look as if she came from a fashion photoshoot. She did not provide any magazine interview or posed for a high-fashion magazine. I doubt this statement on Letizia. She seemed very discreet. The tiara has gone up to her head? How? She's not seen shopping in London and is not dubbed as the Scandinavian "Imelda Marcos". She doesn't show or paraded her daughters so the media will see how good a mother she is.:rolleyes::whistling: I agree with you re Victoria Beckham though. but I love her fashion sense.:)

Can some please help me understand why it is that everytime someone does not like Letizia Mary must be brought up. I do not see what she, or Maxima who someone else above brought up, has to do with someone having a not so glowing impression of Letizia. This whole 'tit for tat' business comes across as very immature.

She doesn't show or paraded her daughters so the media will see how good a mother she is
As far as I can see all the young CP couples, including the Spanish couple have photographs taken with their children, after all there is a great interest in the future of the monarchy, so I'm not sure what it is you mean by this :confused:

Can some please help me understand why it is that everytime someone does not like Letizia Mary must be brought up. I do not see what she, or Maxima who someone else above brought up, has to do with someone having a not so glowing impression of Letizia. This whole 'tit for tat' business comes across as very immature.

As far as I can see all the young CP couples, including the Spanish couple have photographs taken with their children, after all there is a great interest in the future of the monarchy, so I'm not sure what it is you mean by this :confused:

What I'm trying to say is she's not the type who wants to steal the spotlight by showing she's a good mother, or by doing something by which the media can definitely say that it's a bit too much. Of course the media is interested to all future monarchs but my post is just to answer or explain why I don't think "the tiara has gone up to her head". It's my explanation to the post. I understand it's not your opinion however I do think she's one of the most discreet pss in Europe. The comparison will never go away. That's part of it. We always tend to compare one to another even if we try not to. Some of us who put comparisons here just wants to justify our answers and sometimes it means comparing subjects. Plus, we're talking royalty here so it must be the first thing that comes into other people's mind. Comparison is not good, but as I said it's part of being a public figure. Even if no one here compares one to another, someone is bound to compare her outside this forum.;)

Last edited:
but my post is just to answer or explain why I don't think "the tiara has gone up to her head
But why do you need to bring up Mary to do that? Someone says that they think Letizia likes the attention, you don't agree so Mary gets dragged into it. I would understand you compairing them if they had said "Mary hates the attention but Letizia loves it" or if they critizied Letizia for doing something Mary also did e.g. Shame on Letizia for cutting her hair, she should not be allowed to do that (bad example I know but it is all I could think of:lol:) but they didn't, they just gave their opinion on Letizia. I guess I just hate when people put down one person to build up another.

I understand it's not your opinion however I do think she's one of the most discreet pss in Europe.
I actually agree with this but then the Spanish Royal family has always seemed to me to be the most discreet of them all. So I doubt she would be any different, every Royal Family has it's own rules to follow and Letizia is following them.

What I'm trying to say is she's not the type who wants to steal the spotlight by showing she's a good mother
I still don't understand what you mean. Are you saying the other Princesses do this? She acts the same with her children as all parents do, royal or not. :confused:

To get back on topic why is Letizia referred to by her maiden name in the Poll? Is that normal in Spain, should she not be call Princess Letizia? PERSONAJES ODIOSOS - Listas - 20minutos.es

Last edited:
What I'm trying to say is she's not the type who wants to steal the spotlight by showing she's a good mother, or by doing something by which the media can definitely say that it's a bit too much. Of course the media is interested to all future monarchs but my post is just to answer or explain why I don't think "the tiara has gone up to her head". It's my explanation to the post. I understand it's not your opinion however I do think she's one of the most discreet pss in Europe. The comparison will never go away. That's part of it. We always tend to compare one to another even if we try not to. Some of us who put comparisons here just wants to justify our answers and sometimes it means comparing subjects. Plus, we're talking royalty here so it must be the first thing that comes into other people's mind. Comparison is not good, but as I said it's part of being a public figure. Even if no one here compares one to another, someone is bound to compare her outside this forum.;)

But couldn't you have illustrated your warm feelings towards Letizia without the accompanying petty remarks about other princesses? I don't buy the 'we all compare...' excuse. Perhaps we do - but it is the way we compare that makes all the difference.:glare:

And if we 'are talking royalty here' and it is about 'the first thing that comes into other people's mind' - I suppose Roxsteve is entitled to express his/her impression of Letizia along those lines as well?? I find it strange you can react so strongly to Roxsteve's remark - and then send out string of rather unflattering remarks about other CPss. But perhaps that is just me.....

Roxsteve said that Letizia needs constant attention, and as Roxsteve does not seem to know how is a person who seeks attention ,Madeleine Victoria and me just said a good example of a person who seeks protagonism.

I really wonder why it's not possible to have a single Letizia-Thread without at least 1 (mostly negative) comparison with Mary.

They are all attention seekers, it must be part of your personality if you agree to marry a prince. They all enjoy to be admired to a certain degree, some are allowed by the respective royal house to show it more, some less. To me the decisive factor is whether a CP truly enjoys her job and feels comfortable - judged on pictures / media coverage - because it suits her personality or not and for me this does not apply to neither Letizia or the other actress from Denmark.

Roxsteve said that Letizia needs constant attention, and as Roxsteve does not seem to know how is a person who seeks attention ,Madeleine Victoria and me just said a good example of a person who seeks protagonism.
'does not seem to know' - but you and Madeleine Victoria do know?
The logic of this just escaped me even further......:cool:

'does not seem to know' - but you and Madeleine Victoria do know?
The logic of this just escaped me even further......:cool:

Of course i know.
There is no need to be very inteligent to know "how" is a person who seeks attention.:cool:

I believe we should get back to the main topic at hand which is Letizia and the Press (hence the main focus is LETIZIA) not Letiza and the Press and other Crown Princesses: Are they Desperate for Attention or Not compared to Letizia.

I would appreciate it before this topic turns into a petty catfight.

Thank you.:flowers:
GT

Letizia currently heads a survey of 20 minutos regarding the most annoying person, even before Aznar, Hugo Chavez or Lewis Hamilton (!) :lol:

Funny enough even Pope Benedict or Queen Elizabeth II are to be found on this list, too.

I am personally missing Borja Thyssen & Blanca Cuesta.

PERSONAJES ODIOSOS - Listas - 20minutos.es

What was the result of this poll? Letizia recieved the most votes. She had more than 15000 votes.

Last edited:
We, in America, almost never get information on Letizia & Felipe. We do, of course, on the British Royals. I cannot see how people think that L & F, W-A & M or M & F seek their photos in the newspapers! They seem to JUST do what is expected of them in their own countries. It is their job. Of all the CPs, I do believe that Letizia seem to be the most subdued in public and not attention seeking. She would rather her husband take center stage -- quite evident by the constant repeating of her clothes (which I do not find wrong--I do it all the time) at daytime social events.

I just think that people should be honest with themselves (and their press) and just say that they don't like Letizia (for what ever reason) or Mary or Maxima. We all have people we can't stand , even if we don't know them personally. But to pick them apart because of our own prejudices is quite revolting.

How come? I don't understand why? She's not so fashion savvy like one of the Scandinavian princess who seemed to look at her closet 100 times before she can decide on what she'll wear for her royal duties so she will look as if she came from a fashion photoshoot.

Now now who among us has this kind of information? Let me understand this. If someone appears well groomed and smiling she craves attention? Do we suppose that these ladies do not have an assistant who picks up their clothes for the occasion so that they always look impeccable?
Besides I have to agree with others who posted, why do we have to have two camps where those who defend Letizia no matter what always have to hate Mary?

What was the result of this poll? Letizia recieved the most votes. She had more than 15000 votes.

All 20 minutos polls are by points, not votes. Each vote can be 5 points.

Now now who among us has this kind of information? Let me understand this. If someone appears well groomed and smiling she craves attention? Do we suppose that these ladies do not have an assistant who picks up their clothes for the occasion so that they always look impeccable?
Besides I have to agree with others who posted, why do we have to have two camps where those who defend Letizia no matter what always have to hate Mary?

There are posters who prefer a certain style over the other, it doesn't necessarily mean they hate a certain royal. I like Maxima, although I do think she loves attention. A few posters who often criticized Letizia here were also called themselves other royals' fans (ex. Mary's, Maxima's or Cristina's). I think in a discussion board like TRF, the comparision among the royals is simply inevitable.

Last edited:
donnaK, I agree that Maxima loves attention (that is OK as her husband hates it) and I really just think that she is great. Mary and her husband seem to be equal on the public level and I also adore those two. They seem to have a strict line between personal and public. Letizia is more incline to let her husband have center stage. She will be more the help mate type that the husband can't do without. (picture Queen Elizabeth II & Philip only in reverse). All three completely different -- different marriages, customs and personalities -- but all super for them and their countries.

Newspapers are always going to try and find trouble -- it is their livelihood -- sells silly papers. If they don't have a proper story they will start a poll trying to dividing public opinion or just outright lie.

I personally enjoy reading about Maxima, Letizia and Mary giving them all the credit in the world. I wouldn't want to be them for all the money in Europe.

Even though this is a thread about current events, I think it is very relevant to discuss the sources of comments and the slant that is given to particulars of an event. I have read articles written by the journalist that you mention and I find them shallow, misleading and ill-intended. It is not that fact that they criticize Letizia but the way in which any particulars are taken and are twisted in an ill-intended way.

Everything, absolutely everything can be taken and twisted in such a way, is that journalism? Ethical journalism? As a journalist, you report the facts period. You do not color, use innuendo, etc. You let the reader arrive at his/her own conclusions. One personal opinions are just that, personal opinions. That does not make them facts, solid journalism, even if one has a journalism degree. Do we compare tabloids with serious newspapers? They are simply not on the same league. One thing is to write something on a website and a very different one, having one's column published in a regional/national newspaper. Even then, one digs deeper, what is the paper's political position, etc. A journalist might have a journalism degree, many people have, but that does not make the pieces they write something trustworthy. When I look at a piece of news, I think sources. Where was this reported? By whom? Whe one follows coverage and repeatedly finds untruths, innuendo and twisting of facts, one learns to take what one reads by that media person with a grain of salt. At least that is what I do. The fact that something supports one's personal opinion of a situation or a person does not make it a fact or the reality.

Royals and the institution itself answer to the people. Letizia married into that institution and the Spanish Royal House has a say in what she does and how she does it. The fact that there is nothing else to criticize but how thin her arms are, how ugly her shoes are, how boring her outfits are, I find encouraging. She is doing her job and she is doing it well. She is the Princess of Asturias -some people like her, some people do not. Some people like the King, some do not. Some people like the Queen, some do not. Some people like the institution and some do not. It is just the way it is. People are entitled to their opinions. However, in every field there are opportunists. The fact that people need to twist and turn little things because they need to find something to criticize, to fill out space with Letizia's name so that it generates traffic to their site, I find understandable. She sells. And since the Royal House has not made her available to become a media commodity, some people use pedestrian criticism to make a sell anyway. My two cents.

I don't think this is true - there has been a lot of critizism towards Letizia from the beginning, overall the media wasn't ecstatic about Felipe's choice for various reasons (background, qualification etc). Whatever Letizia's impact on the monarchy will be only time will tell.

On the one hand, the Princess is subject of polemic for some parts of the media, on the other hand subject of propaganda for other parts of the media. Both make their money out of it. So I guess Letizia uses the media as well as she is being used by the media - you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Thank god that we live in a free society and whether people want to read or believe the "serious" or the "gossip" media - the classification or interpretation of what is what is a thin line anyway - is up to everybody's own decision.

Everything is very simple, is an economic question. It is necessary to fill hours of television, and if the journalists want to continue occupying a chair and earning money, is necessary to have news (and always it sells more a morbid or polemic history). And the same thing happens with the web pages, they need to have visits to be kept.

The Princess is a cheap and profitable option. She does not charge for going to the programs of television or for appearing in the magazines... but she is very profitable for them because she is interested. She is interested for the good thing and for the bad thing.

For the magazine Hola, it is cheaper to have the princess in the cover that to pay the famous one that does not do anything for an exclusive speaking about his life ... and in addition they sell more.

Peñafiel or Barrientos never go to the official acts, and what they do is to resort to gossips or enclosedly Internet forums, as sources of information. If they do not go to the acts, if they do not follow their activities, if they fail in information so elementary as the age of the Infantas ... what are they going to report? And as them others who speak without knowing the Princess and without following closely her activity. They speak for speaking to refill time.

you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Thank god that we live in a free society and whether people want to read or believe the "serious" or the "gossip" media - the classification or interpretation of what is what is a thin line anyway - is up to everybody's own decision.

Nobody here calls Hola 'serious' press or any jouranlist from Hola who said 'Letizia was a perfect princess' a great journalist :lol:. Of course, Paloma or Jaime are free to write any gossip articles they want, however there is definitely a fine line between those gossip writers and great journalists (ex. Rosa Maria Calaf) in Spain :cool:.

I think that paet of the problem is that nobody really knows anything about Letizia.
Pre-marriage she seemed outspoken and feisty. Now she is quiet and always - ALWAYS - with Felipe at events. Or with the Queen, Elena, etc. She seems to have become very meek and submissive. Where is the Letizia who at the engagement announcement sparkled and seemed to be a breath of fresh air?
She needs to strike out on her own more. She doesn't seem to be stupid - after almost 5 years of marriage I am sure that she could handle a public appearance on her own and not say or do the wrong thing.
The press has nothing to report so the least little incident is blown way up out of proportion or attracts waaaaaaaaay too much attention.

I think that paet of the problem is that nobody really knows anything about Letizia.
Pre-marriage she seemed outspoken and feisty. Now she is quiet and always - ALWAYS - with Felipe at events. Or with the Queen, Elena, etc. She seems to have become very meek and submissive. Where is the Letizia who at the engagement announcement sparkled and seemed to be a breath of fresh air?
She needs to strike out on her own more. She doesn't seem to be stupid - after almost 5 years of marriage I am sure that she could handle a public appearance on her own and not say or do the wrong thing.
The press has nothing to report so the least little incident is blown way up out of proportion or attracts waaaaaaaaay too much attention.

We already have too many discussions on this subject. I don't think Zarzuela likes any sort of breath of fresh air or anything close to it. The monarchy is about the King and he wants everyone under his firmly control.
On the other hand, the tabloids has never had much interested at the 'work'. Queen Sofia has done plenty of work on her own, nobody from the gossip worlds has a tiny little bit interest. Rumors/gossips is the main course of the pink press in Spain. I'm sure Letizia has learnt to live with it now.

I do not think she schedules her own events. Also, it could be that the sponsors of most events invite both the prince and the princess. I do not see her as being meek or submissive. She is now a member of the royal family and she has to act according to
their protocol. One cannot judge a person unless you have been in that person's shoes.

I don't think this is true - there has been a lot of critizism towards Letizia from the beginning, overall the media wasn't ecstatic about Felipe's choice for various reasons (background, qualification etc). Whatever Letizia's impact on the monarchy will be only time will tell.

On the one hand, the Princess is subject of polemic for some parts of the media, on the other hand subject of propaganda for other parts of the media. Both make their money out of it. So I guess Letizia uses the media as well as she is being used by the media - you can't only have the glossy Hello! shots with the "Letizia is the perfect Princess" quotes but have to live with the gossip articles of Paloma B, Jaime P or others at the same time. Nothing new in the royal world by the way.

Yes, we are to be truly thankful we live in a free society where we can read, believe and say what is on our minds. In Spain, certainly, the King is to be thanked for helping bring about that.

At the beginning of the marriage clearly some had reservations about the suitability of Princess Letizia for her position. In my opinion, during this time, she has proven to be able and capable of discharging the duties inherent to her position. That is why I said that many things (“criticisms”) that are read in the gossip press are based on flaky kind of stuff.

I do not believe Princess Letizia is perfect, nobody is. What I object is to the deliberate twisting and turning of facts, to the half-truths, to the blatant lies. Every public servant should be accountable for their actions to the people. The King, the Queen, the Prince and the Princess all are. If there are criticisms to be made, let them be grounded on facts. If people are unhappy with an institution, let it be evaluated on facts.

Gossiping has been going on for a long time and it is used time and again in many areas, not only in the royal world but in the political world as well. That does not mean I do not find it objectionable that people try to pass “gossip” as “news” and that assumptions are made about people’s characters based on “gossip.” It strikes me as terribly unfair. But some will say, life is unfair. It might be, but the fact that something is, does not make it right.

As you say, what Letizia’s impact will be, only time will tell. Queen Ena’s breeding and genealogical tree or that of Queen Ana Maria of Greece for that matter did not seem to help much. Monarchies exist in a complex world and they rise and fall due to multiple political and historical factors. In the present day, Princess Mathilde’s excellent background and behavior does not seem to have made a huge impact in the Belgian political mileu when it comes to the opinion some have of the monarchy (at least in certain areas of that country).
And I do not know what to think about a very interesting royal consort, Prince Phillip, who has an excellent background/breeding/genealogy and a very interesting view and approach to royal protocol. Of course, Greece, Belgium and the United Kingdom are all different countries, with different historical contexts and different political realities so we will really have to wait and see.

By the way, while I certainly agree that some sectors of the media use Letizia, I cannot agree with the statement that “Letizia uses the media.” I simply cannot think about any actions she has taken that indicate that.

Back
Top Bottom