Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did she ? I haven't seen any audio/video of her doing that, thus I would call them a rumor with the fact that 'Let me finish' has been blown total out of proportion by the press. About the other princesses, I only know that the press in most countries don't talk about rumors like Spain.

I'm surprised you didn't know Vanitatis website since like I said before your posts were recaps of Vanitatis.

Anyway, Letizia worked in the weekends or evenings, just as often as JC or Sofia. The only thing Felipe did more was to watch the sports games. If watching the sports games is a work, watching kids is a much harder job.

So for me it was a lie initiated by Vanitatis owner Paloma Barrientos, she started by saying that Letizia refused to attend the wedding of Princess Madeleine because she didn't want to work over the weekend. Where is the proof of Zarzuela sending Letizia for Madeleine's wedding ?

Princess Madeleine is not the direct heirness to the throne, if Zarzuela had wanted to someone to attend the wedding, it would likely be Elena, not Felipe and Letizia. What a lie from Paloma Barrientos ! But nothing new. Most of words coming out of the mouth of this woman on Letizia were lies.

The people who were eyewitneses of the disrespectful situations between Letizia and Felipe work for the Goverment. And sorry, but you dont explain me: what is Vanitatis ?? and who is Paloma Barrientos ?? If someone can explain me, I would be very grateful. I feel tired of reading comments I dont understand.

Prince Felipe is not on cover of HOLA this week, and for me that is not good, I think it is a big mistake of this magazine. But I remember it was the same last December on the ocassion of Infanta Elena's birthday, her interview and great photos were inside the magazine and nothing on cover....Was it a mistake of HOLA or maybe King Juan Carlos didnt want his daughter was on cover?? why??

Last edited:
Who are those senior government officials ? All I have heard were the same talks of I heard someone who knew someone who had heard from someone LOL :lol:.

Why would Hola want to put Elena on the cover ? Sorry for her fans, she is not that important anymore for the crown, neither is she a Caroline of Monaco. You have to be blind not to see Hola and ABC are advocates of Juan Carlos now.

Last edited:
Who are those senior government officials ? All I have heard were the same talks of I heard someone who knew someone who had heard from someone LOL :lol:.

Why would Hola want to put Elena on the cover ? Sorry for her fans, she is not that important anymore for the crown, neither is she a Caroline of Monaco. You have to be blind not to see Hola and ABC are advocates of Juan Carlos now.

Donna, I dont understand your comments to me, really. I dont want to be repetitive, so, if you want to know about my opinions and sources, you must read my previous comments. I explained it very well. If you dont want to understand it, it is up to you.

Maybe Infanta Elena is not so important nowadays for the Crown, but she is an Infanta of Spain and the eldest daughter or the King, maybe that fact doesnt mean anything for you, but she has always coped with her official duties perfectly. The most normal is that she was on cover on the ocassion of her 50th birthday, specially when she offered and interview and a photoshoot. It is not necesary being "important for the Crown" in order to be on cover. In fact, most of HOLA's covers nowadays are not for interesting celebrities or royals.

I dont know if HOLA is advocate of King Juan Carlos, I stopped buying HOLA several months ago because this magazine has changed a lot in last times but, HOLA was always offering pleasant reports about Letizia, for them she was always the most beautiful, the most elegant, the best in everything, but I dont know about HOLA opinions now. I remember the past of HOLA, that is one of the most important Spanish magazines everywhere, when Royalty was one of the most important subjects on cover and inside. But nowadays, they changed the subjects and HOLA is always offering reports about "cheap celebrities" and that is not interesting for me as a reader. Now, I only buy HOLA on the ocassion of important events like royal weddings, baptisms, etc or when there is something inside interesting for me, but I dont buy it every week. I bought it for the Infanta Elena's birthday but the cover was disgusting. Anyway, it is the only Spanish magazine I can buy everywhere, even in Qatar.

She was put on the cover of Hola in honour of her 50th birthday which is a good enough reason in itself,please lets not start comparing royals as we all know where that will lead!

Last edited:
I dont know if HOLA is advocate of King Juan Carlos, I stopped buying HOLA several months ago because this magazine has changed a lot in last times but,....

It's a perfect reason/excuse on not seeing how Hola has become the advocate of Juan Carlos the last few months. You must have missed the ridiculous photoshopped picture of JC on Hola cover and super sugary article on how healthy he had looked without crushes, unfortunately it only led to him falling flat on his face after Pascua Militar, became another national joke after 'everyone is equal in front of the justice' (what a liar !).

Last edited:
She was put on the cover of Hola in honour of her 50th birthday which is a good enough reason in itself,please lets not start comparing royals as we all know where that will lead!

Someone brought up Elena to compare with Felipe (or JC) first, thus I said there was no comparison in terms of the importance to the Spanish monarchy. Hola has its audience, a non-glam photoshoot and a 'said nothing' boring interview didn't arouse much interest except for most of audiences.

Last edited:
Someone brought up Elena to compare with Felipe (or JC) first, thus I said there was no comparison in terms of the importance to the Spanish monarchy. Hola has its audience, a non-glam photoshoot and a 'said nothing' boring interview didn't arouse much interest except for most of audiences.

I was referring to your Caroline of Monaco throwaway comparison comments.

Giving this thread a much needed break and will be closed pending a Moderator Review of all posts.

Last edited:
After two weeks of a brutal campaign of press about marital crisis, rupture, or deficiencies of Letizia as Princess ... that has been so useful to cover other scandals :whistling:.

It seems that people have begun to get tired, and all the people who have seen the couple in the last month, is beginning to speak.

Several things had been said by normal people on twitter days ago, but only now the press talks about them.

El Prncipe invit a cenar a Doa Letizia en DiverXO para celebrar su cumpleaos - ABC.es

On January 16, the couple went to the opera with Barroso and his wife.

Last week, they went to the National Library to visit an exhibition and twice to the cinema.

The Prince's birthday they dined in the restaurant DiverXo, the most fashionable in Madrid with 3 Michelin stars. They had been with the owner at FITUR.

Last Friday, the girls had no school and went to have lunch at an Italian restaurant (where they had gone to lunch a few months ago)

Going out and being seen is a strategy too, the only thing they can do to fight rumours. I think their 'private' public outings have increased a lot, compared to previous years, since the rumour mill started going and since the crisis, to show 'common touch' with the public.

I really hope These rumors and bad press with "knit" them together stronger than ever.....

At least it was time for me to put out the "Support Letizia" Avatar again...... simply because I think, this is all sooooooooo unfair towards the couple, but mainly to Letizia. I wish her (and the couple) all the best, stay STRONG!!!!!

BYe Bine

Duke, that theory is use by journalists when they have to justify themselves. :whistling:

Almost every week, especially on Friday, someone says on twitter that has seen them somewhere. If these comments are common ... more will be if the press on the other side is saying they do not do things together.

It happened in May, the prince was photographed in Mallorca with friends, the press began to create a story that he was alone, Letizia hated Mallorca... and the people rebelled against the information in Internet because they had seen the family. Until a journalist posted a picture on twitter on the return flight, the press refused to investigate or tell the truth.

Although rumors had already begun, the Prince went skiing and the Princess to a concert of Felipe´s friend. The day before they had been to the opera with Barroso ... Queen Sofia never goes to the opera or a concert without the official photograph ... of them there was no photo. It would have been very easy to stop rumors canceling the trip of the prince that was private or posting photos of the opera that could be an official event.

Thursday was the birthday of the Prince, and Friday the girls had no school... would be very strange that they had not done anything, when they always do. Their attitude, the way they usually organize their private activities remain the same ... is the press who says it or hide it at convenience.

i wasnt so much referring to the marriage crisis, which imo is complete rubbish, as to the increase of their public outings with the beginning of the crisis, going to normal places in order to show attachment to the common folk, what is a strategy imo. in better years f&l were hardly seen in public, let alone 'cheap' places.

anyone who thinks that this marriage is in crisis must be moronic. felipe cant leave his life anyway, and letizia would never give up after these 10 years, she is far too calculating (at some point the kings will be dead) or amitious to let go, for herself and leonor. the prospect of being queen without anyone interfering will keep her where she is, with our without an intact relationship with felipe. i do think their marriage is difficult but they share an agenda what outweighs everything else.

I do not think you can say that they have changed their habits because of the crisis, because now we have some information that we did not have before.

They have always gone to the movies, restaurants or concerts, or have taken the girls to the circus or zoo... but we had less information, only we had it when a photographer took any photos.

In the past years that has changed very much, Spain has doubled in the use of mobile Internet and is the European leader in the use of smartphones. Now people see them and publish it on twitter immediately.

Journalists and photographers ask people data on twitter. When they went to the theater in Letizia's birthday, someone posted the comment and a picture on twitter, a paparazzi questioned him on twitter ... the following week the paparazzi published photos in a magazine. When they were in Almeria, newspapers and photo agencies asked people for photos on twitter.

http://www.corriere.it/es...?cmpid=DI1040231050243COR
This nasty article basically says the old stories : Letizia isn't happy, she had holidays apart from her husband,the royal court stated that the couple has "up annd down" moments, and the article tells again the same old trash, It added that Letizia is not wearing her wedding ring anymore and that she wants to "escape" from engagements which is ridiculous since she is probably the royal member who works more tha anyone else! I'm annoyed!
ranting.gif

( I dind't know where to post this since the thread for the press was closed"

On the other hand, we cannot compare the media of Sweden, who particularly dotes on Estelle and CP Victoria and the media of Spain, many of which are looking for an opportunity to bash P. Letizia in some way or the other.

But I have to agree that CP Victoria's strategy is a very sound and safe one, as long as the media continues to respect their private life.

There was a story from the cinema last week when somebody wanted a picture when Letizia brushed them off ('we are not working') and Felipe later went to explain why it was difficult to have a picture (then everybody else wanted to have one) and apologized to the boy.
But then, he has grown up with a media that is not bad or an enemy.
El guión de 'Peabody y Sherman' juega una mala pasada a los Príncipes en el cine - Noticias de Casas Reales

We've had this topic many times, IMO Victoria of Sweden is doing a terrific job with Estelle, taking her to suitable events already, guiding her towards a natural relationship with the press as the press will be around for the rest of her life (same with at least Leonor). Sofia will have the option to call it quits if it gets too much for her.

I wouldn't take any story from vanitatis seriously since 90% of the times they were wrong. There is no proof that the whole family were at the cinema whatever weekend vanitatis was mentioning. Of course, (even they were at the cinema) whenever there was no picture, Letizia was the one to be blamed :cool:According to various press outlets, Felipe was one who got frustrated at the press following them all night when they (no girls) went to dinner and movie a week ago (there were pictures at a couple of Spanish magazines).

Sweden is very different from Spain, whether the royals would have a natural relationship with the press also depends on how the local press behaves. For the Spanish tabloids, if you give them your hand, they would grab your arm :lol:. I'm sure Felipe and Letizia would love to have a media code like the one WA and Maxima have, but it's impossible in Spain.

Thanks for the photos. It always seems to be a drama to see these girls at private outings, Letizia holding on to them or putting her hands on their heads or around them as if something bad was about to happen.

Leonor starts dressing like her mother with scarf & rolled up sleeves. IMO the girls are all Borbon with the difference that Leonor has more petite features while Sofia is already a small version of her aunt Cristina. Letizia's ripped jeans are super-tacky.

Thngs I learn everyday. :flowers: I was unaware that "normal", "casual" were new add-ons to the meaning of word "drama" which used to mean "tense", "emotionally wrought situation".

What I see is normal adult with two little kids walking down a street. Even someone like me starts herding my nieces and nephews when I see something that may distract them negatively when walking down the street. Sometimes it is just a plain loving, protective gesture.

Another thing we do not know is what the paps were shouting at them to get their attention. We all know about the obscenities that paps used to shout at Diana to get emotional reaction out of her and get that million dollar shot.

While I do not think paps were calling Leti and the gilrs whores, we have plently of evidence that they are extremely unscrupulous vis-a-vis Leti and her family. Who can forget how Erika was treated, or how Thelma wa almost run down a pole while 9 months pregnant, or the fights at her in-laws place etc etc.

All we see is Sofia distracted and looking back, Leti gently guiding them to silently lend her strength, assurance to ignore and keep moving etc.. Leo is showing no reaction and is in her own world.

Letitia is dressed like many women these days, and it´s neither ridiculous or tacky. It´s just a normal outfit.

I think she is more than ridiculous. It is true that lot of teenagers wears in that tacky way nowadays (wich is really disgusting), but to see that look on a 41 years old woman who is the Princess of Asturias and futur Queen is really a lack of common sense and it shows very bad taste.

Thngs I learn everyday. :flowers: I was unaware that "normal", "casual" were new add-ons to the meaning of word "drama" which used to mean "tense", "emotionally wrought situation".

What I see is normal adult with two little kids walking down a street. Even someone like me starts herding my nieces and nephews when I see something that may distract them negatively when walking down the street. Sometimes it is just a plain loving, protective gesture.

Another thing we do not know is what the paps were shouting at them to get their attention. We all know about the obscenities that paps used to shout at Diana to get emotional reaction out of her and get that million dollar shot.

While I do not think paps were calling Leti and the gilrs whores, we have plently of evidence that they are extremely unscrupulous vis-a-vis Leti and her family. Who can forget how Erika was treated, or how Thelma wa almost run down a pole while 9 months pregnant, or the fights at her in-laws place etc etc.

All we see is Sofia distracted and looking back, Leti gently guiding them to silently lend her strength, assurance to ignore and keep moving etc.. Leo is showing no reaction and is in her own world.

Bravo! :D

I don't get why touching between mother and daughters is called "drama". What's more normal than an 8.5 y.o. to follow the fashion norm in their country and mom?

Neither do I get why some posters keep trying to create drama around Letizia. Apparently denigrating what the girls are wearing, or putting down Leornor and Sofia directly, is the best way to passive/agresive attack Letizia.

In Spain we are used to these types of comments - they usually come from the fascist, extreme right.

Last edited:
....In Spain we are used to these types of comments - they usually come from the fascist, extreme right.

So, in your opinión, only the "fascist, extreme right" hates tacky style.

I thinks it is not a matter of politics but a matter of good taste :winkiss:

Pictures taken today shed further light on this whole "Letizia and drama" narrative.

If one is inclined to condemn Leti for her drama around her girls, (or even having ill-mannered kids, kids ill-prepared for future role, afraid of press etc) there could not be a better shot
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Attend+Easter+Mass+Palma+de+U1ZuCr8eD2Hx.jpg
or this one
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Attend+Easter+Mass+Palma+de+rJOurLfrS1cx.jpg

Yet the reality is completely the opposite. Sofia was feeling very cold and she turned to her mother for comfort and help. Leti as prepared for the eventuality as she was carrying Sofia's cardigan. She put the cardigan on Sofia and as she is walking back to the car, is adjusting it. But the photos can be twisted to say that "there goes Leti - yet again touching her girls"

Leti getting ready to put the cardigan on Sofia
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Attend+Easter+Mass+Palma+de+wWrtRlNS35Vx.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/SMW2wsCOsmWjfvtti2Nk6w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9ZmlsbDtoPTE3NDk7cHlvZmY9MDtxPTc1O3c9OTYw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2014-04-20T130721Z_1636958641_GM1EA4K1ML101_RTRMADP_3_SPAIN.JPG
Leti and Sofia walking back
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Attend+Easter+Mass+Palma+de+7SouG5Qy_Qqx.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Spanish+Royals+Attend+Easter+Mass+Palma+de+FZOTJaLGaTSx.jpg

It is all a matter of spin:flowers:

Last edited:
So, in your opinión, only the "fascist, extreme right" hates tacky style.

I thinks it is not a matter of politics but a matter of good taste :winkiss:

Unfortunately, IT IS politics where the Head of State of a county, and their consort, is at stake.

We all have opinions about fashion. All of us like different things and are influenced by our own countries and backgrounds.

When a poster keeps focussing on shallow reporting, preferring calling "drama" to normal touching interaction between a mother and daughters, I can only think that some posters are either reading too many gossip magazines or furthering a political agenda.

Last edited:
They will not hit the streets without protection officers, no chance. I can only comment on the pictures and whenever I see them confronted with the press, like this occasion in private or last summer in Mallorca, I find the girls tense, stiff and uncomfortable, especially when they are out and about with their mother. Felipe is the only person in the Asturias family who is always friendly and welcoming.
There was a story from the cinema last week when somebody wanted a picture when Letizia brushed them off ('we are not working') and Felipe later went to explain why it was difficult to have a picture (then everybody else wanted to have one) and apologized to the boy.
But then, he has grown up with a media that is not bad or an enemy.
El guión de 'Peabody y Sherman' juega una mala pasada a los Príncipes en el cine - Noticias de Casas Reales

We've had this topic many times, IMO Victoria of Sweden is doing a terrific job with Estelle, taking her to suitable events already, guiding her towards a natural relationship with the press as the press will be around for the rest of her life (same with at least Leonor). Sofia will have the option to call it quits if it gets too much for her.

Leonor and Sofia are getting the best education they can have - their mother fully knows the value of education. She (Princess Letiizia) got to the top of her professional field in Spain on her own, no one gifted to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Alondra: It's only natural to compare the different royal houses. I for one agree with Duke of Marmalade. I personally believe that it is best and healthiest for royal children who are destined for a life in the limelight to be introduced to the public eye from an early age. Not that the little Infantas seem frightened of the press but they don't seem at ease in the same way as e.g. the Scandinavian royal children and that can come down to unfamiliarity in regards to encounters with the press and public.

Last edited:
Zelia, each country is different, and the Spanish press is much less respectful than the press of other countries, and that also goes for children.

When the first grandchildren born, the Royal Family was very splendid with pictures of children, but as the years passed, the press showed that they had very little respect for children. The older grandchildren of the king, as Felipe Marichalar has suffered attacks from the press rather cruel, and now he hates de press. His sister and cousins ​​Urdangarin now live outside Spain and away from the press. Letizia's nieces also have been harassed by the press in the street or the school.

They have to be strict and set limits, because the press is not going to do it and have already caused enough pain to other children in the family.

Last edited:
@Alondra: It's only natural to compare the different royal houses. I for one agree with Duke of Marmalade. I personally believe that it is best and healthiest for royal children who are destined for a life in the limelight to be introduced to the public eye from an early age. Not that the little Infantas seem frightened of the press but they don't seem at ease in the same way as e.g. the Scandinavian royal children and that can come down to unfamiliarity in regards to encounters with the press and public.

I profoundly disagree with you. Spain is a very large and diverse country compared to Scandinavian countries. We can't compare european royal houses much less compare royal houses at all. Do you really think the royal house of Tonga is comparable to the house of Sweden when you say that "it's only natural to compare royal houses" ?

The girls are in the public eye as much as is healthy for kids to be a public figure, royal or not. They have the same rights as any other kid in the world. They are also as much photographed as the triple A in Netherlands or the kids in Belgium. They're growing they way kids are supposed to grow - well mannered, superbly educated and very open/interactive within their own society.

They are not celebrities. They shouldn't be exposed as such.

Last edited:
Zelia, each country is different, and the Spanish press is much less respectful than the press of other countries, and that also goes for children.

When the first grandchildren born, the Royal Family was very splendid with pictures of children, but as the years passed, the press showed that they had very little respect for children. The older grandchildren of the king, as Felipe Marichalar has suffered attacks from the press rather cruel, and now he hates de press. Her sister and cousins ​​Urdangarin now live outside Spain and away from the press. Letizia's nieces also have been harassed by the press in the street or the school.

They have to be strict and set limits, because the press is not going to do it and have already caused enough pain to other children in the family.
IMHO this has influenced the Asturias' decision on how to handle the press.

Back
Top Bottom