Queen Letizia and the Press

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They invented that Queen Sofia scolded publicly Letizia, later the video showed that she was not even talking to her ... now Letizia is screaming to the Prince ... who's next?

With Vanitatis is always the same, and on holidays is worse ... gossip press is hysterical every time they have Letizia on holidays. They invent or manipulate or exaggerate ... that's their business.

The Royal House will be happy with this new gossip ... better to attack Letizia, to discuss the presence of Urdangarín at Zarzuela or what will happen with Cristina and the official investigation in the coming days.

I hope so but maybe it's just pure gossip or an argue between husband and wife like other, that was exaggerated
I am guessing you are right. Letizia may well be one of those people who use their hands and gesticulate wildly when they are passionate about something.

This means that when we see her it is mostly "official" and she has her "public" mask on. We all wear masks or have a "public face" it's just that she seems to be so tiny beside Felipe and when she is irate she seems like a pocket rocket. Who cares if they were having a spat. I'm kind of leary about couples who live in perpetual domestic bliss . . . makes me wonder if they even have a pulse!

:)This means that when we see her it is mostly "official" and she has her "public" mask on. We all wear masks or have a "public face" it's just that she seems to be so tiny beside Felipe and when she is irate she seems like a pocket rocket. Who cares if they were having a spat. I'm kind of leary about couples who live in perpetual domestic bliss . . . makes me wonder if they even have a pulse!

Thank You Marg, for a great comment, You really got a huge laugh out of me with that one. Yes, all couples have spats, fights, disagreements and then laughs, *Pocket Rocket* that is a great name for PL, she is so tiny next to PF and I can just imagine how she would go off on him if he upset her, lolololo. I think if she can handle this tension so far then she will go the full course and when the time comes, a brand new royal family in charge will be very welcome in my book.

She is also a conservative woman, and is also conservative the team that surrounds her... so it would not surprise me that she thinks that the role of a woman is her husband and children. In addition, for employees of the queen and the infantas, Letizia is a threat.

Sofia didn't raise her own daughters to be a house wife. Everyone knows in Spain both infantas got their job through the Zarzuela connection, both work Mon-Fri, travel abroad a few times each year, then how could Sofia expect her daughter-in-law to be a housewife ? I agree with Duke Sofia did support Letizia on a superficial way, but she always defends her own interest and the interests of her daughters. Before Cristina moved to DC, Letizia almost had no solo act, infantas' comp were claiming themselves more important than Letizia, of course they had the support of their parents. I think 2007-2009 was probably Letizia's darkest years in Zarzuela, fortunately for her she didn't become the 2nd Masako, likely she came out a stronger person.

Right now I find it extremely pathetic that Sofia took up all the foreign trips, wouldn't share any with Letizia. Letizia doesn't need her New York glory, but at least she should share some international corporation trips to South America with Letizia since Felipe also represents his father in South America.

Felipe is a laid back, peaceful type person, by nature less aggressive than his parents or sister Cristina. I can picture him asking his wife to wait for her time instead of getting into a big argument with his parents.

Last edited:
I'd very much doubt Letizia would behave like this in public and I'm taking the entire 'story' with a pinch of salt!

Vanitatis needs their daily dose of Letizia saga, when they didn't have a story, they would invent or exaggerate, nothing new.

I agree with Duke Sofia did support Letizia on a superficial way, but she always defends her own interest and the interests of her daughters.

Right now I find it extremely pathetic that Sofia took up all the foreign trips, wouldn't share any with Letizia. Letizia doesn't need her New York glory, but at least she should share some international corporation trips to South America with Letizia since Felipe also represents his father in South America.

Exactly. I was always having a laugh when I read all these sugary stories waxing lyrical about the warm and close relationship of Sofia and Letizia, like mother and daughter. They will get along fine, but only within the boundaries defined by Sofia. Its well known that Sofia is a great actress in order to protect what is important to her.

It would only come natural to support and slowly include the DIL who will inherit Sofia's position some day, but no support at all in this respect, event after 10 years.

Waiting for one's time can become a long wait, Sofia is fit and active and I can imagine her as a second QEII, not handing over her patronages etc when Felipe is King.

Waiting for one's time can become a long wait, Sofia is fit and active
In that case, i hope when Felipe is King he sends his devout Mother off to a Monastery...

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Weyvale:In that case, i hope when Felipe is King he send his devout Mother off to a Monastery...

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Your comment had me laughing out loud and again my dog barked at me, guess my dog doesn't like the way I laugh,...lolololol, that is the very best and most honest comment on QSophia. I hate to think it, but she acts like a snob to me, someone who thinks they are better then the rest of the people all because she has a crown to wear. I believe when your a royal (except for those that married royals) it is nothing but an *accident* of birth as we have no choice in whom our parents are plus a lot of other things that we have no say in............yet being royal should know that first off, you have a huge responsibility to the people, and some just don't get it about responsibility to the people.

QS will never go to a monastery, only by kicking, screaming, and gag in mouth and feet bound will she go..........and she will never accept PL as her DIL regardless of how long she is married to her son.......she will only do what is best for her and her daughters always........very sad indeed.

You have a great sense of humor.................thank you!

Interesting. I know none of this. Sofia seems to be a lovely woman. She is in an arranged marriage as they used to be. She is no more officious than QEII. They were born to be better, they have been told. Philip has been more discreet than Juan Carlos and family dynamics are hard to put together. Diana and Sarah were treated very poorly, too and all the blame put on them. Old story.

Thanks. If it is true is sad the couple having problems, i hope it is nothing serious.
Felipe refused to ask for help with the directions and wouldn't use his GPS app on his phone. ;)

El apoyo a la Monarqua sigue cayendo pero crece la valoracin del Prncipe Felipe | Espaa | EL MUNDO

This is a recent poll about the monarchy in Spain. The rest of the results are posted in the Future of the monarchy thread, but I've posted the results concerning Letizia here, since the poll seems to confirm what has been said about Letizia in this thread, that she is not popular and that Spaniards do not warm up to her, even after 10 years of marriage.

Letizia is facing another low point, has even dropped a point from last year 's survey, now looking at an approval rating of only 50.1 %. For 43.6% of the Spanish, the future Queen of Spain fails. Why? Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano has not done anything overtly scandalous nor taken actions that have gone to the clear detriment of the institution. However, she has antagonized almost half of the Spaniards, apparently due to her physical appearance. Since changing her physical appearance Spaniards perceive her as distant and cold. Rumors about her distancing the Prince and her outings with her ​​friends and accusations of relatives have not helped. Neither doesnt contribute to her popularity her extreme thinness and perfectionism, which increase the aloofness that seems to surround her. The gossip feeds this ' anti - Letizia front ' , which seems to be more emotional than rational. Therefore, according Zarzuela, these persistent rumors about Princess are nothing more than " urban legends ."

Last edited:
:previous: It is perhaps a shame that Felipe decided to marry a "career" woman and not a well bred aristocrat. Letizia has to be a pretty strong minded person to succeed in the shark infested waters of TV land. Translate that same drive to being a Crown Princess and you could have an instant recipe for success or a train wreck.

I don't think Letizia will let anyone put her down and, if the gossip about the Queen's feelings about her is correct, then she she will not be a little mouse and go hide behind her husband. She will meet it head on and expect her husband to support her in her position.

It is unfortunate but perhaps understandable that she went through a "what the hell" phase a fronted up to various official engagements looking like she was on her way to brunch with "the girlfriends". Standing beside Felipe in full dress uniform taking a military the salute while she was wearing Capri pants comes to mind!

I think she was saying that if you just want me to be a full time mother and royal nonentity, denying me the "official" recognition and respect as Crown Princess, then that's what you'll get . . . a housewife! Worse, she then tried another tack and attempted to improve on mother nature to make herself more "acceptable", a move that really backfired badly.

Any way you look at it her situation is toxic and I am not surprised she has trouble keeping the weight on. If you look back she lost a lot of weight between her engagement and her wedding. Stress affects people differently and some gain weight and Letizia loses it.

Basically I think that it's time that CP Felipe got behind his wife and showed his support of her to both his family and his country. Acting like a mummy's boy and not trying to rock the boat is not doing his marriage or his reputation any good. Is he a man or a mouse?

Basically I think that it's time that CP Felipe got behind his wife and showed his support of her to both his family and his country. Acting like a mummy's boy and not trying to rock the boat is not doing his marriage or his reputation any good. Is he a man or a mouse?
Well, the poll shows that Felipe's popularity is rising. Obviously the Spaniards do not blame him for Letizia's sinking popularity. :)
Honestly, what can he do if half the public perceives her as distant and cold after changing her physical appearance?

It has nothing to do with being noble, aristocrat or commoner ... have to do with being a woman of the XXI century, or have a role from another era.

The role that the Royal House has given Letizia, limiting her public activity alone, pushing to be in the background (when was inevitable because the media put her in the first) is not what modern society expects of the princess, and that's what Letizia is paying.

There are many examples of young queens and princesses who have more strength and charisma than their husbands, and by no means are relegated to the background. On the contrary, the Royal Houses are able to use it for the benefit of the Crown.

But in Spain everyone is too concerned with maintaining their position and privileges as to yield in favor of the princess. They want a weak Letizia, to use her as an excuse and shield.

I really think that in Spain a weak woman, without character or convictions that let herself be misled by the Family and the House, uncritically and following the existing inertia would have been a disaster. Probably if Letizia did not have a closer view of reality, and a more objective view of what is wrong with the Royal Family, today after the scandals there would be nothing to save.

As already discussed by lots of people, I really think, a lot of the "low points" have to do with the lack of support from the King and the Royal Household and the "order" to stay silent in the second row. No other CP had these boundaries (except maybe Diana).

So I feel sooooo sorry for her, a lot of the bad picture is not selfmade, but she has never given any chance.

Bye Bine

It has nothing to do with being noble, aristocrat or commoner ... have to do with being a woman of the XXI century, or have a role from another era.

The role that the Royal House has given Letizia, limiting her public activity alone, pushing to be in the background (when was inevitable because the media put her in the first) is not what modern society expects of the princess, and that's what Letizia is paying.

There are many examples of young queens and princesses who have more strength and charisma than their husbands, and by no means are relegated to the background. On the contrary, the Royal Houses are able to use it for the benefit of the Crown.

But in Spain everyone is too concerned with maintaining their position and privileges as to yield in favor of the princess. They want a weak Letizia, to use her as an excuse and shield.

I really think that in Spain a weak woman, without character or convictions that let herself be misled by the Family and the House, uncritically and following the existing inertia would have been a disaster. Probably if Letizia did not have a closer view of reality, and a more objective view of what is wrong with the Royal Family, today after the scandals there would be nothing to save.

Altought I agree with most of what you have said, none of this has to do with 'physical appearance', the reason that more than half of the Spaniards (represented via survey) have given as to why Letizia fails as future queen. Do people really not see beyond the tabloids or do they simply not care?

That's one reason that gives the journalist writing, in the survey they do not ask about it. She also writes that it really is the fault of the gossip press.

For gossip press Letizia is profitable, and that press in Spain has a lot of publicity. That news are generally frivolous only referred to clothing, hairstyle or physical appearance. Really the acts she goes and content of these care little to them. The Royal House making her the woman who accompanies her husband and barely has a voice, has only made the problem bigger... because she has not resources to defend her work.

Her thinness, her perfectionism, having a social life are reasons to dislike her? Wow. Says more about the people than about her. Sure, she isn´t warm like Maxima, but if you followed her from the begin, you know it´s no coincindence. I think she tries to protects herself. It´s really a tricky situation for her. :unsure:
Good lord..

:previous:

Doesn't he support her? How much say does he have in how things are run as far as "royal duty" goes?

Altought I agree with most of what you have said, none of this has to do with 'physical appearance', the reason that more than half of the Spaniards (represented via survey) have given as to why Letizia fails as future queen. Do people really not see beyond the tabloids or do they simply not care?

Where did you read more than half the Spaniards said Letizia failed as the future Queen ? Those sensational press articles often twisted the fact to suit their own interests. If you look at the data, 50.1% people said she did a good/very good job, 24.6% said she did a normal job. 19% said she did a bad/very bad job.
Considering certain sectors of the press had been fiercely attacking her since last spring, even pro-JC 110% ABC joined the camp over the summer in order to save JC, the data is not bad, at least much better than JC's despite Zarzuela has been pulling most of the resources to save JC the last year.

Here is the survey data on Letizia's role.

very good - 7.7%
good - 42.4%
normal - 24.6%
bad - 13.6 %
very bad - 5.4%
n/c - 6.2%

http://oi41.tinypic.com/jzeh1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the poll shows that Felipe's popularity is rising. Obviously the Spaniards do not blame him for Letizia's sinking popularity. :)
Honestly, what can he do if half the public perceives her as distant and cold after changing her physical appearance?

That was not in the survey, only a guess from the press article who tried to analyze the survey. The tabloids had a campaign calling her distant or cold for a while, even though people met her at the functions said things otherwise. I wouldn't call Letizia's popularity sank since the data was not that much different from last year, everyone's popularity sank after the Noos scandal, now Felipe's and Sofia's went back to be close to their old ones, Letizia didn't, not a surprise since certain sectors of the press had been fiercely attacking her the last year.

I think the main reason is that the public/press wanted to see Letizia with a bigger role, Letizia herself also wanted a bigger role (in the Spanish VF article last month), but Zarzuela wouldn't give it to her. I agree with Marg, Felipe would have been more vocal, acknowledge his wife's contribution, stop taking all the credits on their joint projects, also tell his mother to divide the oversea trips with Letizia.

Last edited:
I read that the "physical appearance" wasn't actually in the poll and merely a speculation by the author of the article. This puts a whole new spin on everything. To me, if Felipe had put his foot down, we would be seeing Letizia carrying the sort of workloads as her CP peers.

Instead Sofia and her family seem to be hogging all the work and leaving Letizia to just "look good". Hardly surprising that she may be seen as distant and cold and not an asset to Felipe or Spain. That she is not seen as "working hard" or just "shopping with the girlfriends" is not a giant leap. After all, what else could she possibly be doing with all that time.

She really is in a classic no win situation.

Last edited:
Where did you read more than half the Spaniards said Letizia failed as the future Queen ? Those sensational press articles often twisted the fact to suit their own interests. If you look at the data, 50.1% people said she did a good/very good job, 24.6% said she did a normal job. 19% said she did a bad/very bad job.
Considering certain sectors of the press had been fiercely attacking her since last spring, even pro-JC 110% ABC joined the camp over the summer in order to save JC, the data is not bad, at least much better than JC's despite Zarzuela has been pulling most of the resources to save JC the last year.

good - 7.7%
very good - 42.4%
normal - 24.6%
bad - 13.6 %
very bad - 5.4%
n/c - 6.2%

These stats are not right for Princess Letizia. According to the survey results in the link above, the public opinion about her was 7.7% "very good" and only 42.4% "good", which combined gives a 50% "general good opinion", not bad compared to a 67% for Queen Sophia. In my opinion the Queen should have scored much higher given her opportunities in her role. :flowers:

These stats are not right for Princess Letizia. According to the survey results in the link above, the public opinion about her was 7.7% "very good" and only 42.4% "good", which combined gives a 50% "general good opinion", not bad compared to a 67% for Queen Sophia. In my opinion the Queen should have scored much higher given her opportunities in her role. :flowers:

The stats were right, the interpretation of the stats by the article and some people here were not right.

That's about as high as Sofia could get even at good times (It was about 70% at good times) since there are a certain percentage of republicans in Spain who don't like anyone in the SRF. Sofia had been openly supported Cristina and Inaki, of course she is a suffering wife and mother, has much sympathy in public, gets a free pass, but all the blames on the SRF not handling the Noos case properly went back to JC, a big contribution to JC's continue falling popularity after the elephant hunting almost two years ago.

Letizia did work days than Sofia the last couple of years, only because most of her acts were joined by her husband. I don't believe Letizia didn't work, I think she worked just as much as him behind the scene for those joint acts, only she didn't get much credit, that's why I said Felipe should acknowledge his wife's contribution, not took away all the credits.

Last edited:
Where did you read more than half the Spaniards said Letizia failed as the future Queen ?

good - 7.7%
very good - 42.4%
normal - 24.6%
bad - 13.6 %
very bad - 5.4%
n/c - 6.2%

Its in the article, El Mundo's interpretation.
http://www.elmundo.es/espana/2014/01/05/52c89f76ca4741f0588b4571.html

The stats you mentioned are not correct, mixing up 'good' and 'very good'. 'Very good' is 7,7% and not 42,2%.
Obviously almost half of the Spaniards receive Letizia as 'normal', 'bad' or 'very bad', and not as 'very good' or 'good', therefore El Mundo's interpretation is valid. You are free to disagree with it, of course.

Last edited:
Its in the article, El Mundo's interpretation.
El apoyo a la Monarqua sigue cayendo pero crece la valoracin del Prncipe Felipe | Espaa | EL MUNDO

The stats you mentioned are not correct, mixing up 'good' and 'very good'. 'Very good' is 7,7% and not 42,2%.
Obviously almost half of the Spaniards receive Letizia as 'normal', 'bad' or 'very bad', and not as 'very good' or 'good', therefore El Mundo's interpretation is valid. You are free to disagree with it, of course.

Yes, I mistyped 'good' and 'very good'. But I don't see how 'normal/neutral' or 'not answering the question' (30% of the rest 50%) meant a failure since I usually have a neutral view towards people I was not familiar with what they were doing, but I don't consider them a failure if I don't know much, of course you can keep your opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, I mistyped 'good' and 'very good'. But I don't see how 'normal/neutral' or 'not answering the question' (30% of the rest 50%) meant a failure since I usually have a neutral view towards people I was not familiar with what they were doing, but I don't consider them a failure if I don't know much, of course you can keep your opinion.

Its not my opinion, it's El Mundo's interpretation :flowers:

Given that Cristina is in disgrace I'm hoping 2014 will be a more media friendly year for Letizia as she does not deserve most of the negative press written about her. Perhaps I'm being overtly optomistic!

I do not think so.

The worse are the king and Cristina there is growing pressure from certain sectors against Letizia. Those who for various reasons want Juan Carlos remain on the throne, in Letizia have a victim and an easy excuse. It's astonishing and a little crazy how some are able to defend Cristina over Letizia, despite this immense chaos, just because she has royal blood.

I've said it before. Letizia has struggled with a situation that they have not undergone other princesses... she has a mother in law and two sisters in law of royal blood, who have since birth enjoyed a privileged position ... and have been unwilling to give up or be relegated. And winning that battle is impossible while Juan Carlos is king.

In the Netherlands and Denmark, the queen is the head of state, so it is natural that the wife of the heir to assume the role of first lady, more when the heir has no sisters. In Norway and Sweden already had two commoners queens that had their problems at first and were willing to help. In Belgium, Queen Paola became queen when she was older, and had activities but never had the strong and active role of other consorts.

I am rather ignorant about the Spanish situation. It is stated as a fact that Letizia is struggling with the situation. But is she? Who says that she is struggling? Obviously she doesn't have many solo activities, but IMO she has been the most busy crown princess by far (including Camilla and the new Queens in the Netherlands and Belgium). The same goes for Felipe btw.

I think the situation in Spain is also different, there is simply more to do. There are more important activities to attend and they need to prioritise. Instead of sending her to various UN-things as some others go to, she actually attends many activities for/ on behalf of Spain. This is a good thing IMO, I sometimes wonder why all these UN meetings and World global leader conferences are good for, apart from expanding the family networks. In the end it is the Spanish people who finance their royals, not the UN.

In short: to me she seems to be doing just fine and I actually like it that they attend so many activities together. It is nicer for the public, as they have a bigger chance of meeting the royal. And for a shallow reason: it is more interesting to look at than a man in a suit. This we can see from the threads dedicated to solo activities of royal males (in f.e. this forum), which seldom get any reaction.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom