Prince Felipe's 40th Birthday: January 30, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
RTVE - SALA DE PRENSA

" PORTRAIT OF A PRINCE "

Spanish television approaches on Wednesday, the 9th from January to 22:00 in The 1 the figure of the Prince don Felipe de Borbón who at the end of this month is 40 years, in a wide article in which there are gathered the own reflections of the inheritor of the Wreath on his personal life and on his institutional role, withdrawals of TVE's file.

The future King is licensed in Law by the Autonomous University of Madrid and máster in International Relations by the prestigious University of Georgetown, in The United States. In addition, don Felipe has a complete military training in the Army of Earth, the Navy and the Army of the Air.

In the qualified article " Portrait of a Prince " there will take part relevant figures of the political, university and journalistic life related narrowly to don Felipe, as Gregorio Peces Barba, who was the one who took oath of the Constitution when he was 18 years, as well as the journalist of TVE Carmen Enríquez who has covered for years the information of the Royal House and Carmen Iglesias, of the Spanish Academy and that of History, and teacher of the Prince.

The script of the article is of Juan Antonio Tirado and Carlos Alonso's accomplishment

Last edited:
will they organize a party for his birthday????

I don't think there will be a party like W-A's last September. If Letizia and Felipe celebrate, it will be with a private event.

If I were Felipe I´d feel awful about not to celebrate at least with the royals from the Netherlands who invited me to W-A´s 40th birthday party. I mean, how lazy can you be? If I knew that I never celebrate then I wouldn´t accept any other´s invitation.....

If I were Felipe I´d feel awful about not to celebrate at least with the royals from the Netherlands who invited me to W-A´s 40th birthday party. I mean, how lazy can you be? If I knew that I never celebrate then I wouldn´t accept any other´s invitation.....

I do not understand the reason. The Spanish Royal House has never done any great celebration in the birthdays, therefore nobody can wait or wish that they do it. Nobody can feel disappointed, because when they invite them to someone of these celebrations they know perfectly that in Spain these celebrations are not done.:rolleyes:

Is it common procedure in Spain not to celebrate birthdays? I mean, just to say: "We never celebrate birthdays" is IMO no explanation. Might it have happened that Felipe talked to WA in a way like this: "Hey, thank you for the invitation but I tell you right now that I never celebrate my birthday and therefore don´t expect an invitation." And if W-A had asked why Felipe never celebrates, Felipe might have answered: "Because we never did and therefore never will" (nice explanation and so logical...) And also therefore Felipe can lean back in his sofa and laugh at all the dum people who invite others and organize birthday parties and he himself just snores into his beard. Don´t you think that f.i. W-A wanted to strenghten the relations between the royal houses with this nice gesture?

Is it common procedure in Spain not to celebrate birthdays? I mean, just to say: "We never celebrate birthdays" is IMO no explanation. Might it have happened that Felipe talked to WA in a way like this: "Hey, thank you for the invitation but I tell you right now that I never celebrate my birthday and therefore don´t expect an invitation." And if W-A had asked why Felipe never celebrates, Felipe might have answered: "Because we never did and therefore never will" (nice explanation and so logical...) And also therefore Felipe can lean back in his sofa and laugh at all the dum people who invite others and organize birthday parties and he himself just snores into his beard. Don´t you think that f.i. W-A wanted to strenghten the relations between the royal houses with this nice gesture?

Netherland and Spain are two different countries. Dutch citizens may not be offended by the laborate birthday celebration for W-A. That doesn't mean Spaniards will not. SRF members celebrate their birthday in private and their low key approach suits the sensibility of their country. That's far more important than throwing a big party for their royal counterparts as a returned favor.

So why open a thread then?

So why open a thread then?

Simple, the celebrations with other Royal Houses is not the only way of celebrating the notable birthdays. There are other forms, the press does it with special articles, the Prince can do it with an interview, a session of photos or the visit to some place. A thing is that they do not do these big celebrations and other one that goes unnoticed.

Some Royal houses clearly prefer to opt for the pomp and paegentry at events like this, others do not.

Personally in this day and age and in a country like Spain, where the Royals are more controversial, I think it is best NOT to celebrate an event like this.
Times have changed and it's better for Royals to keep personal events such as these much quieter, imoho.

There may not be a major public event but it's perfectly possible that there will be a private party; maybe other Royals like W-A will be invited there?

Some Royal houses clearly prefer to opt for the pomp and paegentry at events like this, others do not.

Personally in this day and age and in a country like Spain, where the Royals are more controversial, I think it is best NOT to celebrate an event like this.
Times have changed and it's better for Royals to keep personal events such as these much quieter, imoho.

There may not be a major public event but it's perfectly possible that there will be a private party; maybe other Royals like W-A will be invited there?

This is very true. If the atmosphere / background / history was different in Spain they would probably do those lavish parties that we all love to see happening :)

I don't believe though Felipe will do a private party with high profile guests such as his peers. That would probably provoke some anger within the spanish media and would certainly make an own thread on this forum, something like Why does he have a party but does not allow some pics to be taken? :lol:

I think it's actually the best decision to have a private party only with those people who are really close to him, and I doubt that Felipe is really close - apart from the royal bond they all more or less have - with one of his other peers, be it Fred, WA, Haakon or Victoria.

Even if the party is low-key or family-only there will still be plenty of high-profile guests eg. the Greek Royals, the Bulgarian Royals etc.

Prince Feisal of Jordan had quite a large 40th birthday with lots of foreign Royals and that was still quite a private affair, so it can be done.

http://www.formulatv.com/1,20080108,6497,1.html

The 1 dedicates prime time of Wednesday to Felipe de Borbón

' Portrait of a prince ' includes reflections of the Prince of Asturias on his life and institutional role gathered from TVE's file.

Spanish television approaches this Wednesday, the 9th of January, to the figure of the Prince don Felipe de Borbón, who at the end of this month expires 40 years, in a wide article in which there are gathered the own reflections of the inheritor of the Wreath on his personal life and on his institutional role, withdrawals of TVE's file. The article is an update of the interview that granted TVE on having expired 30 years, most wide granted up to the date for the Prince.

it is not a matter of being lazy. the spanish court has always wanted to give an image of a more conservative, traditional, humble and laid back monarchy, compared with their dutch, danish or british counterpars. it's perhaps the reason of those monarchies being much more solid than the spanish one.

Carlota, I do not believe that it is comparable, not that exactly it is what it defines to the Spanish Monarchy. The historical situation of the Spanish Monarchy is very different from that of other Monarchies and they have had adapt, they have learned to look for their own way of doing the things, because they have not had precisely an easy way.

I do not believe that it is not strange at all to try to realize a serious work, and not to do excesses. What they cannot do is to be opposite to what always they have been, because the Spanish society would not understand it. The Kings of Spain began their reign in a country isolated internationally, with a poor economy and after 40 years of personal exaltation of a dictator. Really it was not the moment to do big parties and to exalt the King, and if they have been done ever, do not make sense do it now. I believe that it is to be a bit coherent.

The King has turned his birthday into a celebration of the democracy, probably it is not the best celebration to have nice photos, but it is a good celebration for a Chief of State.;)

Last edited:
can anyone record the programm so we can see it?

Felipe's birthday is so close to the King. Since the King didn't give any interview, didn't have a photo session, didn't have a lavish party to entertain the foreign royals, it's pretty much expected that Felipe will follow the footsteps of his father. Felipe is still a heir, he will not do anything to to overshadow the King.
In my opinion, besides Spain's own situation, the King himself doesn't like much the dated ancient monarchical traditions or lavish ceremonies. When he ascended to the throne, most of the ancient traditions or ceremonies were gone, or kept low profile.

For those who have TVE Internacional can watch the programme about the Prince at 20.50 GMT.

We can only watch the 24 horas news channel.

Already, but sometimes in this channel they emmit the same thing that in the television, there will be necessary to wait.;)

Im watching TVE on the internet and they are broadcasting the news.. and on the TV there's a program like american idol.. is anybody watching the special?

Yes Mari, I am watching the special on TV now.

Im watching TVE on the internet and they are broadcasting the news.. and on the TV there's a program like american idol.. is anybody watching the special?

Are you in Panamá, right? well I think that you can see the program at 22:30 (panamá's hour) as here and like in other Latin-american citys!:flowers:

Yes BL :flowers: I had to wait..! I saw it in Panama time!! I loved it! :wub: Felipe's so handsome and dreamy!, I loved the interviews I even taped it! :lol: he's such an intelectual man. :in_love:

Last edited:
Yes, he's really handsome, I love the videos of her school time, when he was in the laboratory doing "experimets":wub:, and I like so much the way he talk, the words that he use, as you said, he's such a intelectual man.

i missed the episode due to time zone differences. is there anyone who can upload the video, either on YouTube or something? thanks!

thank you so much for those vids, ladejesus! :flowers:

My pleasure RhapsodyBrat. He looks so handsome in the interview scenes. All the footage from his school years was awesome, especially the clip where Queen Sofia kisses him when she dropped him off at school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom