Prince Felipe & Princess Letizia's Visit to New York & Washington: March 15-17, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a great trip!!! It's too bad that we have just a few pics!!!

Letizia looks great and very confident! I love her more and more! I think she has grown up so much as a princess and as a woman for 5 years!

Very interesting report of one's meeting with the Princess in New York.

http://ichaso.blogspot.com/2009/03/meeting-royalty-has-its-surprises.html

This woman seems to be obsessed enough:nonono:. Curiously months ago she wrote an article in a magazine of gossip, where she says almost the same thing, because were the gossips what a few Spanish friends had told her. After reading this, the most probable thing is that the "friends" of this lady are the most yellow journalists of the Spanish press.

Intrigas de Palacio :: Nobleza :: esmas.com

Certainly, it does not seem that the Princess has any problem with her past as journalist, since sheand the Prince, did a private visit to the Washington Post on Wednesday.

http://www.farodevigo.es/secciones/...-prioridades-Obama-para-Europa-America-Latina

Since this woman wrote negative gossips on the SRF, perhaps her friend is Jaime P. or Paloma B. There was a business dinner with hundreds of guests, it's understandable that Letizia didn't want to talk gossips with her. Plus this woman and her mother sound like snobs from old money in her own article. Perhaps it was her own problem instead of the problems of those commoners marrying the royals she disliked.
Bravo, Letizia !

Since this woman wrote negative gossips on the SRF, perhaps her friend is Jaime P. or Paloma B. There was a business dinner with hundreds of guests, it's understandable that Letizia didn't want to talk gossips with her. Plus this woman and her mother sound like snobs from old money in her own article. Perhaps it was her own problem instead of the problems of those commoners marrying the royals she disliked.
Bravo, Letizia !
I Agree, donnaK -- actually, unless I heard this same story by someone that overheard Letizia making these remarks [not a yellow journalist] I do not believe. Most lower standard article writers make up quite a good bit to ensure that the story is remembered and thus their name. Probably why she must write her own "blog" and not published in the New York Times.

Well, is not the first time Letizia refused to speak about her journalist period; there is nothing wrong (for Mari) to say something like "We share a commond friend, the journalist x" as a way to break the ice when you are introduced to somebody and are supoused to talk about something for a few mints at least.

They are better ways to excused yourself, for instance you can say "It was a real pleasure but that time is over for me now, I wanted to talk to you about the child fundation I'm working on as a Princess, maybe you can be of help..." I don't know, something of that sort.

No need to be rude, just my opinion and Mari Rodriguez Ichaso is a well known journalist, educated and polite.

There is nothing rude about the words of Letizia quoted in the article. She was the guest of honor along with Felipe at the business dinner with representatives of 300 companies, nothing wrong if she was not interested at talking about her previous life as a journalist or the common friend she probably didn't share with this Mari Rodriguez Ichaso. Regarding the tone of her words or her attitude, that's really between her and Mari Rodriguez Ichaso, no one really knows what was going on. She could rub Mari Rodriguez Ichaso the wrong way or Mari could just be angry because she didn't get the mini interview she thought she would surely get based on the common friend they had :cool:.
I would have more sympathy for Mari Rodriguez Ichas if she had stopped at the Letizia story. Instead, she continued blasting the usual unpleasant and haughty (in her eyes) commoners turning royals by marriage and that poor cuntryside woman who became rich in Havana, she does have an agenda IMO :cool:.

Reading what she has written previously, she does not demonstrate many objectivity.:rolleyes:

Donna, I have the theory of which some journalists like that you mention, have been many years surrounded with rich, famous or powerful people, but they are simple journalists who report on them and aspire to be one of their "club". In the fund they would like to be Letizia and to be the plebeian journalist who accedes to the highest of the "club".

Recently, after the birthday of the Infanta Margarita two persons spoke on the Princess. A journalist of society friend of ladies of the nobility (very snob) and a singer transgressor enough .... two opposite persons that nevertheless, they spoke about the princess as an agreeable, educated and intelligent woman. It makes to ask if the one that changes radically is the princess, or they are the persons who approach her and the intentions that have those which are different...

An other opinion abaut princess Letizia:

Los príncipes de Asturias, Felipe de Borbón y Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, presidieron ayer el almuerzo conmemorativo del 50° aniversario de la Cámara de Comercio España-Estados Unidos. El evento, que se celebró en el Metropolitan Club de Nueva York, contó tam- bién con la presencia del Ministro de Industria de Comercio español, Miguel Sebastián. En su discurso el príncipe, tras hacer un breve repaso por los últimos 50 años de las relaciones económicas entre los dos países, destacó el papel fundamental de dicha institución. Para dicha ocasión, la princesa Letizia eligió un traje de chaqueta y falda por encima de la rodilla, color rojo pasión, con unos zapatos de tacón medio alto de una tonalidad más tenue, que resaltaba su esbelta figura. Durante la celebración, los príncipes, que brindaron con vino patrio, departieron de forma informal con los periodistas y demás asistentes. Ella, que se mostró especialmente simpática, se presentó de forma natural a los asistentes, dejando a un lado cualquier protocolo social.

Tradution from google, sorry:

The Princes of Asturias, Felipe de Borbon and Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano, pre-lunch sidieron yesterday commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Spanish Chamber of Commerce-USA. The event, held at the Metropolitan Club in New York, was also with the Minister of Commerce Spanish for Industry, Miguel Sebastian. In his speech the prince, after a brief review for the past 50 years of economic relations between the two countries, stressed the fundamental role of this institution. For the occasion, Princess Letizia chose a suit jacket and skirt above the knee, red passion, with high heeled shoes half a more subdued tone, highlighting her slender figure. During the celebration, the princes, who provided wine homeland, department informally with journalists and other attendees. She (the princess) was especially nice, is naturally present in the audience, leaving aside all social protocol.

La Opinión - noticias locales, nacionales e internacionales desde Los Ángeles - impre.com - Sátira de crisis con caricaturas de presidentes

it's a blogg, anyone can write it and since there is no video, we don't know whether this is true. it fits into the same category like the "i am a princess" quote in peking.

however, there have been stories before that letizia seems to get quite touchy or uncool when it comes down to her professional past. in general somebody in her or a similar position should be able to do a "nice to meet you" and move on.

it's a blogg, anyone can write it and since there is no video, we don't know whether this is true. it fits into the same category like the "i am a princess" quote in peking.

however, there have been stories before that letizia seems to get quite touchy or uncool when it comes down to her professional past. in general somebody in her or a similar position should be able to do a "nice to meet you" and move on.

But it is curious that these incidental suppositions always happen with journalists of the gossip and not with journalists of another type. The Prince and the Princess visit newspapers, radioes and televisions, deliver prizes to journalists, eat with journalists, speak with journalists ... and does this only happen with certain journalists of gossip?

But it is curious that these incidental suppositions always happen with journalists of the gossip and not with journalists of another type. The Prince and the Princess visit newspapers, radioes and televisions, deliver prizes to journalists, eat with journalists, speak with journalists ... and does this only happen with certain journalists of gossip?

yes but it hardly happens in any country that the so called "serious" press will pick up a snappy remark that happens every now and then (even royals are human, after all) simply because it is not helpful for anybody involved: not good for the image of the princes(s), not good for the relationship between the specific media and the princes(s) as they might fall out of favour. furthermore, it is not the job of the "serious" press to lower themselves to pink topics. so unless a royal regulary sports a rude or unfriendly attitude towards the media or people in general, there is no reason for the serious press to mention it.

in letizia's case, in honestly don't think that she has a rude or unfriendly nature in her public approach, and she cannot afford to have one, but as anyone else she will have her off-moments because there are enough issues in her life to be annoyed about, partly caused by the so called "not so serious" media, who, because it is their subject, is happy to pick up any snappy remark they can get or even invent one and write about it.

maybe the mari situation happened, maybe not. maybe the "i am a princess" remark is true, maybe not. i don't think it's right to say "ok the story origins from this or this pink journalist so it must be a vicious lie" as much as i don't think it is right to believe everything that the "serious" - and very often propaganda - press comes up with. everyone is free to believe what they want, anyway.

There are serious and less serious journalists, inside the gossip or the news of society, there are journalist in the habit of being trustworthy, and there are others who follow any gossip in that they should be interested to obtain protagonism, others have to fill a space and any information serves though it has easily verifiable mistakes. There are people in the forums that only gathering information, comparing and seeing photos can give news more veracious than those journalists.

What I can say after 3 years here is that any journalist who dares to slightly critizice Letizia is either a bad journalist, an envious one, impolite, wants something from her, "just" a pink press journalist, trashy ones an so on.

Mari is pretty much a non biased journalist if such thing does exist and since her work is not to make interviews but write articles about what she sees around the world or points of view about celebrities, royalty etc it it sounds very weird that she wanted an interview, not to say in that context, they were introduced, they have to talk about something for a min or two, if Mari happens to have a friend that happens to be a friend of Letizia as well from her journalists days, why not mentioned? I don't see the mistake, everyone knows is a way to break the ice, you always says something after you are introduced to somebody; people on dinners mingle around, are introduced one to another, you won't just stand in front of the person like an idiot, you talk, if that person happens to be a princess so what? princesses does speak with the guests at gatherings w/o so much protocol, is not that it was a tiara gala dinner with reverences and kisses on the hand but a more relaxed one in NYC. Granted that if Letizia give her an interview she won't say No or that if she tells her something interesting she will write about it but she's not the type of journalist that fabricate things out of nowhere, that's not how Mari is and I've been following her for years by now, she's a very educated person, you can tell Mari doesn't even have enemies like the pink press in Spain usually have and one can see that on the talk shows, mostly because Mari live in NY City.

She is not much into certain gossips doesn't she live 100% from the gossip press either, even though she knows royals, celebrities and such and is part of her work is not that she's living with the camera and the mic hunting for news, her journalism is a quiet one and I don't believe Letizia does everything wrong but she certainly makes mistakes, she's not perfect. I do believe the whole "I'm a Princess" thing, she did it on Beijing-Pekin and she did it this time and she probably has said that 100 more times just not to people who will wrote about it; she's sort of rude with some answers, on her journalisms days she dared to rectified a colleague in front of the camera and I remember that as if it were today, she's "sanguinea" (sanguin ??), Felipe is more polite, so I do believe the anecdote, she needs to work the one-on-one on unexpected situations.

when reading through the blogg, Mari Rodriguez Ichaso - Diario de Vida - Life's Diary: Meeting royalty has its surprises!
i wouldn't consider it as bashing or particulary negative.

mari has commented again, further down:

I would have loved to have liked Letizia very much. In fact, I wanted to like her, and that is why I approached her to say hello and mention our mutual friend. My date that night was also very surprised at her answer and attitude.

when reading through the blogg, Mari Rodriguez Ichaso - Diario de Vida - Life's Diary: Meeting royalty has its surprises!
i wouldn't consider it as bashing or particulary negative.

mari has commented again, further down:

I would have loved to have liked Letizia very much. In fact, I wanted to like her, and that is why I approached her to say hello and mention our mutual friend. My date that night was also very surprised at her answer and attitude.

If the mutual friend was not Letizia's friend in reality, only her former colleague, there is nothing wrong for her saying that she is not a journalist anymore, thus not a friend of the mutual friend. Rodriguez Ichaso needn't get so offended, her article was truely overreacting. Just because the friend told her that he/she was a friend of Letizia, it doesn't necessarily mean the truth.
She said that the commoners marrying the royals were usually unpleasant and haughty, perhaps she should re-examine her own attitude towards those commoners first, give them some respect as the way she kissed the feet of the born royals.

most of us certainly didn't meet letizia. if this lady felt that letizia's behaviour was inappropriate, it is because she met her and that was the sensation she felt. i actually believe it. as DOM says, it reminds me of the beijing olympics quote. even when you don't want to talk about your previous life, as this journalist says, there's nothing wrong in saying "yes, i was a journalist and i really liked it" and then moving on to another subject. it's called politeness. i find letizia needs to be more careful at times.

It is not so easy Carlota, there is an attitude that repeats very much between the press,and that can be observed in their commentaries, and is it of thinking that how the Princess was a journalist, she has to behave how a journalist and not how a Princess. Excess of confidence, lack of respect, to wait that the Princess gives all kinds of explanations on what the journalist wants... since she is a colleague they treat her how to such, when really she is not. Probably they would not treat another member of the Royal Family with the same confidence.

She is not journalist, is the object of the news, and these journalists who believe that she is a colleague are looking for a news. Letizia has had to learn that those who before were her companions, now are to another side, and that are not colleagues, and exempting those who are really her friends, more of one is going to approach her to do business. Letizia Ortiz journalist was a colleague, the Princess of Asturias is a constant object of information. And when they give an information they give it on the Princess, not on the journalist. For what they are interested she is a Princess, and for what they are interested it is important if she was a journalist.

Sure that to Maxima the people do not ask in every economic meeting if she misses her previous work, not attorneys approach to Mary saying that they are her colleagues...

The Princess does not have problems in speaking about the journalism as profession when she has to do it, but 5 years later is absurd that the press is using always as resource or as excuse her professional past.

Thanks a lot for that link LadyFinn indeed great pics! :)

It is not so easy Carlota, there is an attitude that repeats very much between the press,and that can be observed in their commentaries, and is it of thinking that how the Princess was a journalist, she has to behave how a journalist and not how a Princess. Excess of confidence, lack of respect, to wait that the Princess gives all kinds of explanations on what the journalist wants... since she is a colleague they treat her how to such, when really she is not. Probably they would not treat another member of the Royal Family with the same confidence.

She is not journalist, is the object of the news, and these journalists who believe that she is a colleague are looking for a news. Letizia has had to learn that those who before were her companions, now are to another side, and that are not colleagues, and exempting those who are really her friends, more of one is going to approach her to do business. Letizia Ortiz journalist was a colleague, the Princess of Asturias is a constant object of information. And when they give an information they give it on the Princess, not on the journalist. For what they are interested she is a Princess, and for what they are interested it is important if she was a journalist.

Sure that to Maxima the people do not ask in every economic meeting if she misses her previous work, not attorneys approach to Mary saying that they are her colleagues...

The Princess does not have problems in speaking about the journalism as profession when she has to do it, but 5 years later is absurd that the press is using always as resource or as excuse her professional past.

I think there is a mystique for anyone to reign by destiny as has happened to Letizia who was raised without such expectations. She is leading a life told in fairies is one thing I can say. Another thing that can be said is that she has enveloped her entitlement by forces that enabled notoriety by the press and public as a journalist and present Princess of Spain. The regard for the Princess is always going to be evaluated by her peers and established community, to satisfy our interest as an audience. She has quite the shoes to fill and I astound in looking at her demonstrated effortlessness as a ruling contributor. I'm sure she is a marvel as a woman and knows how to handle so many situations as an intelligent and healthy member of her society. When called upon I think she will do just fine no matter what is expected. She is living a Princess life and quite the dream. I hope she answers the call in happiness.

This American journalist found them incredibly charismatic and charming, and perfect diplomats for their country :).

NY Broadway Examiner: The Prince and Princess of Asturias (Spain) are in New York to promote good will, or are they?

that's fine but the source is no better than other sources that claim the opposite :) mari or suzanna, does the tenor of the content make a difference?
as much as not any source that critizises is not reliable not any source that gives praise must be authentical.

that's fine but the source is no better than other sources that claim the opposite :) mari or suzanna, does the tenor of the content make a difference?
as much as not any source that critizises is not reliable not any source that gives praise must be authentical.

Did I say that in my post ? I didn't even comment on Mari's or Suzanna's source being reliable or not. What's wrong of posting a news article to share ? Perhaps you are the one who wanted to believe just the opposite, if not why so overreacting ?

It is a good thing to post both good and bad news articles.

There is an interesting article on the Washington Post on the foreign companies' interests on the Stimulus Dollars.

Foreign Firms Eye Stimulus Dollars
Some Have Expertise U.S. Companies Lack

By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer

Spain's Prince Felipe and his wife, Princess Letizia, visited New York and Washington last week on an unusual mission for one of Europe's most glamorous celebrity couples: to drum up business for Spanish companies from the U.S. economic stimulus package.

"Only by working together with U.S. businesses and government, as well as coordinating our needs and priorities, can we get our countries, and world, back on track," Felipe said at a Manhattan business luncheon, which also featured former vice president Al Gore. U.S. firms are not the only ones hoping to cash in on the $787 billion stimulus program. Foreign nations and companies are stepping up their lobbying efforts in Washington and in state capitals, hoping to gain vital business in hard times. Hundreds of foreign-owned companies, many of them with significant operations in the United States, are selling their expertise in clean energy, high-speed transit and other technologies that undergird key aspects of President Obama's stimulus efforts.

Meanwhile, foreign companies, trade ministries and business groups are proceeding cautiously for fear of stoking nationalistic objections from U.S. lawmakers and their constituents. Lobbyists and consultants hired by the companies are warning them to proceed carefully and to emphasize that any contracts would lead to jobs in the United States rather than overseas.

The effort also poses a political challenge for Obama, who is pushing the United States to focus stimulus projects on alternative energy, rapid transit and other technologies pioneered in Europe and Asia. "Buy American" provisions in the stimulus legislation and elsewhere in U.S. law require that most materials and work be produced in the United States, but such statutes are effectively silent on where the parent firm should be based.

"Once you get into some of these specialized technologies, only one or a few companies worldwide can provide it," said Jayson Myers, president and chief executive of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters, an Ottawa-based industry group. "If you want to advance the innovation priorities of the Obama administration, it becomes very difficult without involving foreign companies."

Telecommunications companies such as Alcatel-Lucent of France, for example, and its New Jersey-based research arm, Bell Labs, are eligible to seek part of $7.2 billion in stimulus money set aside for upgrading broadband networks. Most global firms specializing in the transit and high-speed rail projects envisioned under the stimulus act are based in other countries -- Canada's Bombardier and France's Alstom, for example. Transurban Group of Australia, which is helping develop high-speed toll lanes along the Capital Beltway, is a world leader in developing toll roads.

Sanyo North America, an arm of the Japanese technology giant, has broken ground on a solar-panel plant in Oregon and is readying strategies to tap into stimulus-related business, according to company officials. The firm recently registered as a lobbying organization in Washington for the first time since 2001, Senate records show.

"With the new stimulus package that the federal government has announced, it is starting to appear that the U.S. market will be a prime location to focus much more effort on our environmental and energy-related technology and products," said spokesman Aaron S. Fowles, based in San Diego.

Foreign-owned firms play a significant role in the U.S. labor force, according to federal statistics. They employ 5.3 million workers in the United States, spend $336 billion on American payrolls and account for 20 percent of U.S. exports.

But such firms are admittedly nervous about the idea of publicly angling for U.S. stimulus money, fearing the kind of political uproar that erupted in 2006 over plans by a United Arab Emirates-owned company to take over management of six U.S. seaports. In recent weeks, some lawmakers have objected to the revelation that billions of dollars in bailout money for American International Group ended up in the vaults of foreign-owned banks to which the company owed money. "We have concerns that others may try to use the fact that these companies are based abroad as some sort of gotcha," said Nancy McLernon, president of the Organization for International Investment, which represents 150 foreign companies with major U.S. operations. "But you can't put American jobs in the clean little baskets that you put them in 50 years ago. Simply put, more work for companies operating in the U.S. means more jobs for U.S. workers."

If a foreign firm received a stimulus-related contract, most of the wages and product purchases would stay within the United States. But some portion, perhaps up to 40 percent, could leave the country, trade experts said.

Obama has treaded carefully on the issue, echoing campaign statements in which he generally favored free-trade policies while promising to aggressively preserve and create U.S. jobs. "The purpose of the recovery act is to put people to work in this country, and that's what the administration is focused on as we implement it," said Elizabeth Alexander, press secretary for Vice President Biden, who is overseeing the stimulus effort.
Obama's own biography illustrates the difficulty in drawing sharp national boundaries around commerce. His favorite communications device, the BlackBerry, is manufactured by Canada's Research in Motion, which has significant operations in the United States. During the campaign, Obama visited a wind-turbine manufacturing facility in Pennsylvania owned by Gamesa of Spain, one of the many European companies dominating that market. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) made a similar stop during his presidential campaign last year at a Portland, Ore., plant owned by Vestas, the world's leading wind-power supplier, which is headquartered in Denmark and is pursuing joint projects with Boeing.

Former congressman Max Sandlin (D-Tex.), co-chairman of the International Government Relations Group, said many overseas firms seek opportunities under the stimulus act, but they need to stress benefits to the U.S. economy. Sandlin's lobbying firm represents such companies as the Macquarie Group, an Australian investment bank that specializes in toll roads, airports and other infrastructure.

"A lot of foreign companies with a particular niche or expertise are looking to partner with American companies to make a win-win situation," Sandlin said. "What I'm telling these companies is they have to understand that bread on American tables and jobs for American families has to be the top priority."

The trip by Felipe included business-related events in New York as well as talks with officials in Washington. Spain's fast-growing economy has been pummeled by the global recession, and the nation has the highest unemployment rate in Europe.

Bisila Bokoko, executive director of the Spain-U.S. Chamber of Commerce, called the trip a success. "Because of the stimulus package, a lot of Spanish companies have opportunity here," she said.

washingtonpost.com

Back
Top Bottom