Prince Felipe & Princess Letizia's Official Visit to Hungary: September 6-9, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucys

Courtier
The schedule for Hungary is as follows.

Monday:
Official Departure, Madrid
Arrive in Hungary early evening.

Tuesday:
Official welcome by President of Hungary and his wife
Visit town hall of Budapest--receive Golden Key to the City of Budapest
Lunch in their honor hosted by President of the Republic
Art Exhibition at Museum of Art, of the Spanish Artisit Joan Miro, and host a reception for Spanish colony in Budapest
Dinner with representatives of Hungarian society

Wednesday:
Inauguration of Instituto Cervantes
Visit the Seat of the Hungarian Parliment
Visit the Academy of Sciences
Reception with "hispanistas" (Academics and such of Spanish language, history and culture)
Attend dinner in their honor offered by Prime Minister of Hungary

Thursday:
Prince Felipe will give speech at the inauguration of the Spanish-Hungarian Business Conference--Budapest
They travel to the city of Pecs
Visit regional assembly of Pecs
Lunch in their honor hosted by the President of the Regional Assembly and the Mayor of Pecs
Visit the University of Pecs.
Visit the Basilica of Saint Peter and Saint Paul
Official farewell and return to Madrid.

Last edited:
Great pics lucys! Thanks! I also like Letizia's bright blue jacket.

http://shotnews.com/fotos/Foto1438410_mask.jpg

A cute photo from Hola from their arrival:
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2004/09/07/principes-hungria/imgs/let-2a.jpg

Official welcome:
http://www.casareal.es/casareal/images/hung03g.jpg
http://pro.corbis.com/images/DWF15-893874.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B74ec442d-937a-407e-97e3-375aa63d9a32%7D

Town Hall?
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2004/09/07/principes-hungria/imgs/let-4a.jpg

Two anecdotes worth sharing. First, the Government apparently has filled Budapest with Spanish flags in honor of the Princes and Prinncesses visit, and second, Prince Felipe will be giving no less then 9 speeches in the three day visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all of the wonderful photos, lucys! Letizia's berry blue jacket is lovely and the colour suits her quite well.

Thanks for the pictures Lucy! They are great. I love the shoes she wore when she departed Madrid.

Julia said:
Thank you for all of the wonderful photos, lucys! Letizia's berry blue jacket is lovely and the colour suits her quite well.
I totally agree!!

I also read a really cute article about an informal chat they had with the reporters covering the trip. Some of the anecdotes include:

--Prince Felipe commented, while Princess Letizia laughed, on how great it is to not travel alone any longer, not only does he have someone to talk to, but someone to complain to as well. (Ha!)
--The article says people have been impressed with Princess Letizia's knowledge of contemporary Hungarian literature.
--The reporters asked how they would celebrate her birthday and she said just quietly at home and with her family.
--The reporters asked if she'd made any changes to their house and she said, no, because everything was perfect.
--The reporters tried to get them to tell where they had spent their honeymoon, now that it's three months past, to which they looked at each other, smiled and refused to reveal the location.
--The reporters asked Letizia if it bothered her to always have photographers and reporters following her and she said, no, because she knows they are just doing their job. She also commented on how interesting it is to be on the other side of the camera.
--They confirmed they will travel to the Unites States (New Mexico) in October. Prince Felipe then joked with the reporters and said, hey where do you all want to go next? To which the reporters joked: Thailand! Vietnam!
--Finally, the leading Hungarian papers covered their visit with a headline in Spanish !Viva la Monarquia! (Long live the Monarchy!)

Nice to see Letizia wearing skirts more often than trousers!!

Letizia is amaizing!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for all the pics

In Pecs. And in trousers Wymanda!
http://aapimage.com/fotoweb/FWbin/p...06E756B22D1CCDA245FF84D5416EFA9BDA77739F7918D
http://aapimage.com/fotoweb/FWbin/p...06E756B22D1CCDA245FF84D5416EFA9BDA77739F7918D

The reporter from La Vanguardia newspaper (Barcelona) who covers the Principes de Asturias and is part of the press corps in Hungary with them, had a very interesting article today. I won't translate the whole thing, but a few phrases stick out. She describes Prince Felipe since his marriage as being in "a state of grace", unable to hide how marvelous he finds it to no longer be alone in his "life and work". The reporter closes the article by describing how Letizia sparks huge curiosity and attention wherever she goes, but that Letizia tries to step back a little because she believes that it is Felipe, as the actual future head of state, should be the one getting the attention. For his part, the reporter continues, Felipe displays great pride in the admiration and attention she receives and is in fact the one who encourages her to embrace her "fans" and "admirers". I just found that an interesting dynamic that she describes--both of them putting the other one forward.

The article can be found at www.lavanguardia.es

lucys said:
The reporter from La Vanguardia newspaper (Barcelona) who covers the Principes de Asturias and is part of the press corps in Hungary with them, had a very interesting article today. I won't translate the whole thing, but a few phrases stick out. She describes Prince Felipe since his marriage as being in "a state of grace", unable to hide how marvelous he finds it to no longer be alone in his "life and work". The reporter closes the article by describing how Letizia sparks huge curiosity and attention wherever she goes, but that Letizia tries to step back a little because she believes that it is Felipe, as the actual future head of state, should be the one getting the attention. For his part, the reporter continues, Felipe displays great pride in the admiration and attention she receives and is in fact the one who encourages her to embrace her "fans" and "admirers". I just found that an interesting dynamic that she describes--both of them putting the other one forward.

Interesting anecdotes lucys. The dynamic between Felipe and Letizia is quite interestingly described here. Letizia certainly seems to know her place and that while she can certainly draw a crowd of her own accord she knows that ultimately the interest and whatever modicum of power will lie with Felipe. But interesting that she's pulling back and he's pushing her to the front. Not a lot of couples are like this, royal or not, and usually the partner who draws more attention gets 'sucked' into it and sometimes it consumes the individual and ultimately the marriage. It seems that Phillippe and Mathilde of Belgium are much like Felipe and Letizia in their approach to the press with Mathilde playing a more supportive role to her husband when it is obvious in most cases that Mathilde is the more 'captivating' of the partner.

And one fun detail. Apparently in the city of Pecs there is a fence where lovers put a chain and a lock to seal their love--it's called "The Wall of Lovers". So today Felipe and Letizia put on their lock. Ah!

1094754869_extras_fotos_gente_0.jpg

Letizia looks extremely elegant. Her hair, make-up and jewelry are perfect.

Attachments

• Princess_Letizia.jpg
    Princess_Letizia.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2,089
spanish royals are really hard working... ;)

I am very impressed too. I initially posted something about Letizia not doing much substantial stuff on her own and I would like to take that back if I may. My conclusion about her was made too quick. I am sure she's going to do a lot of great things on her own when the time is appropriate. At the moment it's lovely to se her and Felipe doing things together.

On the trip to Hungary she has shown a lot of poise and charm from the many pics that have been posted. I think she is going to be a great Princess and make Spain proud. :)

Thanks for this, Lucys. Great insight into their relationship. Lovely to see how supportive they are towards each other. That's very positive to see.

lucys said:

Julia said:
Letizia looks extremely elegant. Her hair, make-up and jewelry are perfect.
The photo you posted with the above comment, Julia, shows Letizia to have deep green eyes. Is this correct?

Balqis said:
The photo you posted with the above comment, Julia, shows Letizia to have deep green eyes. Is this correct?
Hi Balqis,

I think Letizia has either hazel or green eyes. Sometimes they look more to the green other times more to the hazel-gold.

Back
Top Bottom