Prince and Princess of Asturias's Visit to the Vatican: June 28, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lucys

Courtier
Originally posted by carlota@Jun 10th, 2004 - 1:01 pm
(what an awful painting of them...!)

letizia and felipe will go to el vaticano in a week. then they'll go to mexico (balneario los cabos)

Reportajes

Visitarán al Papa
Al parecer, los Príncipes también han viajado a la capital de Tailandia, Bangkok. Después, y según El Semanal Digital, parece que los Príncipes irán a Roma para recibir la bendición del Papa. Desde allí, visitarán otras ciudades europeas antes de saltar a México, donde se relajarán en el balneario de Los Cabos.
The official date for their visit to the Pope has been announced: Monday, June 28. The Queen and the Infantas all wore mantillas when they visited the Pope after their weddings; I wonder if Princess Letizia will as well?

They will be back in Spain in time for King Juan Carlos' saints day, which is June 24 and its rumored they will arrive from wherever they are now (China?) to Los Cabos Mexico this weekend.

i don't really think so... at least protocol obligates her to do it. it's not her style.

Originally posted by lucys+Jun 11th, 2004 - 8:17 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lucys @ Jun 11th, 2004 - 8:17 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-carlota@Jun 10th, 2004 - 1:01 pm
(what an awful painting of them...!)

letizia and felipe will go to el vaticano in a week. then they'll go to mexico (balneario los cabos)

Reportajes

Visitarán al Papa
Al parecer, los Príncipes también han viajado a la capital de Tailandia, Bangkok. Después, y según El Semanal Digital, parece que los Príncipes irán a Roma para recibir la bendición del Papa. Desde allí, visitarán otras ciudades europeas antes de saltar a México, donde se relajarán en el balneario de Los Cabos.
The official date for their visit to the Pope has been announced: Monday, June 28. The Queen and the Infantas all wore mantillas when they visited the Pope after their weddings; I wonder if Princess Letizia will as well?

They will be back in Spain in time for King Juan Carlos' saints day, which is June 24 and its rumored they will arrive from wherever they are now (China?) to Los Cabos Mexico this weekend. [/b][/quote]
When meeting the Pope, there are many rules of protocol about dress. You must wear black and have a head covering such as a veil or mantilla.

When Diana, Princess of Wales met the Pope in 1985, she was in a demure black lace dress with matching veil.

HM Queen Elizabeth II, wore a full length black dress with a veil crowned by a tiara.

Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 20th, 2004 - 5:47 am
When meeting the Pope, there are many rules of protocol about dress. You must wear black and have a head covering such as a veil or mantilla.

When Diana, Princess of Wales met the Pope in 1985, she was in a demure black lace dress with matching veil.

HM Queen Elizabeth II, wore a full length black dress with a veil crowned by a tiara.
It depends on your religion which colour you have you to wear. Christens and Catholics wear a white dress with white veil.

Other religions wear black.

Originally posted by royal_sophietje@Jun 20th, 2004 - 8:41 am
It depends on your religion which colour you have you to wear. Christens and Catholics wear a white dress with white veil.

Other religions wear black.
I belive that white colour only can be used by chatolic Queens (it's kind of a privilege). Other member of the royal families also use black ;)

Visit to the Vatican, July 2004

felipe and letizia have just arrived to the vatican city to visit the pope. apparently she is wearing a black dress and a mantilla. i would love to see that...

CIUDAD DEL VATICANO.- Los Príncipes de Asturias llegaron hl Vaticano para recibir la bendición del papa Juan Pablo II tras su matrimonio y cumplir así una tradición de la Casa Real española. Felipe de Borbón y Letizia Ortíz llegaron a la Santa Sede pocos minutos antes de las 11 de la mañana.

En el Patio de San Dámaso fueron recibidos por el prefecto de la Casa Pontificia, el arzobispo James Harvey, que les acompañó hasta la Biblioteca Privada del Pontífice, donde se celebra la audiencia.

La Princesa de Asturias viste un traje negro largo y se cubre la cabeza con la tradicional mantilla española. Felipe de Borbón viste frac.

Tras la audiencia, los Príncipes se reunirán con el cardenal secretario de estado Vaticano, Angelo Sodano, y después está previsto que visiten la basílica de San Pedro.

Antes de regresar a Madrid, los Príncipes de Asturias se reunirán en la embajada de España ante la Santa Sede con el cardenal Sodano y los purpurados, obispos y monseñores españoles que prestan servicio en la Curia.

Don Felipe ya visitó el templo vaticano en el año 2000, cuando fue a Roma para ganar el Jubileo, ocasión en la que fue recibido por Juan Pablo II.

El Heredero de la Corona Española se ha visto con Juan Pablo II en varias ocasiones, la primera de ellas en 1982 cuando el Papa Wojtyla visitó por vez primera España y la última en mayo de 2003, de nuevo en Madrid, con motivo del quinto viaje del Pontífice a España.

Su primera visita oficial a la Santa Sede la realizó el 26 de junio del año 2000, en medio de un ambiente de gran cordialidad y simpatía mutua.

Los Príncipes de Asturias se casaron el pasado 22 de mayo en la catedral de La Almudena, de Madrid. Al final de la misa el cardenal Antonio María Rouco Varela leyó una bendición apostólica enviada por Juan Pablo II al nuevo matrimonio.

Las relaciones entre la Familia Real española con el Vaticano siempre han sido muy fluidas y han estado marcadas por el mutuo respeto y el cariño.

I just saw tv images of F & L in the Vatican and she leooks great. She's wearing a black dress, a mabtilha and the decoration of Carlos III :flower:

I hope there are more; she looks beautiful in a mantilla!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought Letizia looked quite good when she met the Pope. But I am not a fan of the mantilla.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 28th, 2004 - 5:52 pm
I thought Letizia looked quite good when she met the Pope. But I am not a fan of the mantilla.
There are tastes for everything. I love mantillas! I thought they both looked fantastic today, and she looked particularly elegant and regal.

I saw a video of the reception they held later in the day for Spanish officials in Rome and she had on an absolutely awesome white and balck jacket but I have not found a single photo.

I personally find think Letizia is one of the two crown princesses with the most potential.

I thought that Letizia looked stunning in the mantilla. Every inch the princess!

Here's a photo I haven't seen posted any where else. Oh! How he looks at her! He simply melts when he looks at her.

It's funny, on all these different royal boards we all like to argue about who is more or less pretty, more or less nice, etc., but it's clear for each of the crown princes, none is as beautiful and amazing as their very own princess. And in this photo we have just one more testament of that fact. This generation of crown princes has married for love and they make no bones about it.

Wow...CP Letizia looks great, she seems to be able to carry off anything with such ease and grace!

However, I still think CP Felipe looks better w/out the beard...

Just for you to know, Felipe is wearing the sash and Grand Cross of Carlos III, miniatures of his main decorations and Golden Fleece around his neck. Letizia is wearing the sash and Grand Cross of the Order of Carlos III (the decoration that she receaved sortly before her wedding ;)) :flower:

She issssssssssssssss beautiful....Sparkling eyes, beautiful smile, glowing aura, smart, And she projects a trusthworthy person on whom you can rely...This is how i always feel about her from day one....while I like Mary of Denmark, i still find her -Mary- lacking something...there is something in her that i cannot trust....
(Did not mean to compare the two but i am more and more convinced by Felipe's choice). This Leti is so convincing: Look and brain and the impression she gives. My opinion again...

Thanks all of you for the pics :flower:

I think Letizia looked amazing at the Vatican. To me, it is the most beautiful she has looked, well, after her wedding day. I loved the mantilla and it was great to see her wear her order!!! She did not disappoint today.

here's a video of the Vatican visit from el mundo. just click on "El Papa Juan Pablo II bendice el matrimonio de los Príncipes de Asturias"

I don´t know but should one be wearing so much makeup when meeting the Pope? She has some ruby lips there and so I wondered with the whole modesty thing and all.

Yes, that is bad. She not being Catholic might have given her just a tad bit of space on such things but still.

Well, I was thinking mainly about the lips.

I think Letizia looks good!!! Not a fan of Felipe's beard (its too hairy on him!!... stating the obvious!! :lol: :lol: )

Originally posted by Dennism@Jun 28th, 2004 - 9:44 pm
I don´t know but should one be wearing so much makeup when meeting the Pope? She has some ruby lips there and so I wondered with the whole modesty thing and all.
Well the Pope seemed perfectly pleased with her. According to the pool news report he kept taking her hand throughout the nearly 30 minutes and as they made to leave he stopped them and directed some words of affection to Letizia.

Back
Top Bottom