The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 1,734
Don't like a bit how nowadays Monarchs are acting publicly. They seems more Yuppies or enterprises directors than Kings and Queens. There is not a disident voice contesting establishment among them...but well. If they speaks too high they could be fired.

And the fact that Princess Letizia was not a housewife or a noblewoman before mattying but a journalist in TV doesn't make her intelligent. It makes her "modern", but just that. I've never read or heard anything from her that could be considering as her own toughts , but the one of establishment. Sorry...I can't lie. Her wrardrobe doesn't interest me an awfull much, even if I think it is mportant for a Princess to look ..well...like a Princess.

Vanesa.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:16 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,195
Vanesa, not modern, not intelligent ... it makes her a person with a studies, a good formation in her profession ... profession that on the other hand was forcing her to know what every day happened in the world and sometimes to live through it directly. It undoubtedly contributes knowledge and experiences.

The members of a Royal Family do not speak for themselves, speak for an institution that occupies the Headquarters of the State ... and there are great the elements that determine the role that every person must play in every moment. The Monarchies in Europe are Constitutional Monarchies, the Kings reign but do not govern. They represent, they moderate, but they do not decide do not impose.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Gaia's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Vanesa, not modern, not intelligent ... it makes her a person with a studies, a good formation in her profession ... profession that on the other hand was forcing her to know what every day happened in the world and sometimes to live through it directly. It undoubtedly contributes knowledge and experiences.
A newscaster has to be able to present what is given to them and to do it with finesse. In the US it requires reading a prompter, a skill I will admit. There is no proof that all the other CP's are not reading the news and keeping up with world events any less than Letizia.

Quote:
Letizia didn't just "get the job". She climbed to the highest level of her profession at the age of 31. You don't get there in a cutthroat profession such as television journalism by connections.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this topic.


Letizia is emerging and I think this is interesting, I am waiting to see if she lives up to her fans hype. She is very attractive and has cute babies, she also has a beautiful voice when she is allowed to speak. I will also admit that I found her taste in clothes jaw dropping beautiful in the first year. I think it is sad that she cannot be seen as one of the many talented CP's, instead of elevating her over the rest, after all the rest have been tested in many ways already.
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:55 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Vanesa, not modern, not intelligent ... it makes her a person with a studies, a good formation in her profession ... profession that on the other hand was forcing her to know what every day happened in the world and sometimes to live through it directly. It undoubtedly contributes knowledge and experiences.

The members of a Royal Family do not speak for themselves, speak for an institution that occupies the Headquarters of the State ... and there are great the elements that determine the role that every person must play in every moment. The Monarchies in Europe are Constitutional Monarchies, the Kings reign but do not govern. They represent, they moderate, but they do not decide do not impose.


Lula, I really like the way you explain this
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:58 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Micky's, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by johann View Post
I think I pointed out I respect the team idea. What I don´t understand is that many members here think the team idea is the one and only way to handle things - and graciously devalue the work of those couples who have another approach to these trips.
Before you went into long posts about perceived sligh of other crown princesses, it would be good if you can quote the posts you found offensive. Because I don't remember any posts here that said the team approach F&L do is the "one and only way" to handle things.

Just in case you're responding to my post, I didn't say the team approach is the "one and only way" to handle things. I made a generic philosophisical comment about my dislike of relegating all royal women to kindergartens and hospitals (the traditional women's role: mother and caretaker). I asked why a crown princess as capable, professional and knowledgable as Letizia couldn't sit in these power meetings with men. That's a far cry from insisting that this is the "one and only way" to handle things.

I also didn't make any implications that Mathilde's visit of AIDS patients was unimportant. This is the folder for Spanish royal family, not Belgian. No need to bring up slighs that do not exist. I just don't like the conventional widsom that ALWAYS relegate women to the gender-stereotypical role on principle. I don't see the husband of female presidents visit babies and patients on foreign trips. It's my feminist side speaking. This has nothing to do with Letizia or Mathilde. No need to jump into Mathilde's deffense.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:59 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
A newscaster has to be able to present what is given to them and to do it with finesse. In the US it requires reading a prompter, a skill I will admit. There is no proof that all the other CP's are not reading the news and keeping up with world events any less than Letizia.
Gaia, I believe that you are bad enough informed. Beside reading the prompter, Letizia was reporter for several years. She was employed at newspapers and at television. She informed about the elections in The United States, about political summits, the most important ecological disaster of the history of Spain or about the war of Iraq.

A journalist, though only reads news is forced to know what happens in the world ... a person who does not have this work can live without reading newspapers or seeing news.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
I do not know the individual scores of the princesses IQ tests all i was saying is that Letizia is a post graduate, was very successful in her career and is obviously a competent and professional lady who married into a family with big standards of protocol that she upholds. If that means respecting local customs and culture, say in a country that does not encourage women to hold top jobs, then it is not her place to make a protest and embarrass the Spanish monarchy and the Spanish state.

I too agree that too often royal ladies get sidelined into kindergartens openings etc which is nice publicity but as most monarchies are somewhat for 'show', as long as the princesses observe protocol and add their touch to the occasions, does it matter if he speaks or she speaks? Letizia's track record before marriage speaks for itself and I am sure she is just as capable as Prince Felipe, is given the same information and briefings about country visits but as we all know it can't be pure business 100% of the time or people would get bored and switch off, so the princess shows a personal side to the monarchy, a warmer softer side which is as imprtant as the 'hard' business that Felipe has carried out. There was a book some time ago about EQ or emotional intelligence and how it is just as important in business as IQ.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Micky's, United States
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaia View Post
A newscaster has to be able to present what is given to them and to do it with finesse. In the US it requires reading a prompter, a skill I will admit. There is no proof that all the other CP's are not reading the news and keeping up with world events any less than Letizia.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree about this topic.
In US, all news anchors have to have years of reporting from the field before becoming an anchor. That seems to be the road Letizia had to go through. To belittle news anchor job to "reading a prompter" is awfully ignorant.

She reported on some of the biggest news story of early 21th century, 2000 US presidential election, 9/11 World Trade Center, Iraq War. If she's incompetent, she would not have gotten to the anchor chair no matter how many connections she had. The fact that she rose to the top faster than others said something about her competency and capability. We don't know whether other crown princesses are "reading the news and keeping up with world events". But we do know Letizia has an unique professional training and education that guarantee she is.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Perhaps that her husband takes the lead is seen as a bad thing by some people but usually this is the way in the european royal houses, the one who is born of royal blood always takes precedence over the one who married in, for example Queen Elizabeth of Britain and the Duke of Edinburgh.
I get your point yamamah but you have chosen the wrong example

1. The Duke of Edinburgh is a born Prince of Greece and Denmark, meaning he has been bearing the HRH title because of his royal birth and not because he married Princess Elizabeth.
2. The Duke of Edinburgh is one of the most active and influential spouses ever around, probably because he has been born into royalty but also because of his personality; he might go second when being with his wife but apart from that he has done and still does countless solo events and patronages, therefore please allow me to say that in my opinion there is simply no basis for any comparison between the position of Prince Philip and Princess Letizia as royal spouses.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
giov's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roma, Italy
Posts: 2,339
Imo it is not true that the European Royal ladies get sidelined.
Does anybody think that Queen Elisabeth, or all the other Queens are?
I think that the husbands (for example Philippe of Edmburgh), and the wives (like Letizia) of the royal members always have a less important role and fewer activities than their wives/husbands, no matters if they are men or women. This happens in every Royal family.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I get your point yamamah but you have chosen the wrong example

1. The Duke of Edinburgh is a born Prince of Greece and Denmark, meaning he has been bearing the HRH title because of his royal birth and not because he married Princess Elizabeth.
2. The Duke of Edinburgh is one of the most active and influential spouses ever around, probably because he has been born into royalty but also because of his personality; he might go second when being with his wife but apart from that he has done and still does countless solo events and patronages, therefore please allow me to say that in my opinion there is simply no basis for any comparison between the position of Prince Philip and Princess Letizia as royal spouses.
Thank you for explaining this me duke. I meant that the most important one to the country goes first but all royal spouses have influence. prince Phillip has a very strong personality i think. i was trying to say because Prince Phillip wasn't from British royalty directly and married the heir to the throne he would always come second publicly.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
Imo it is not true that the European Royal ladies get sidelined.
Does anybody think that Queen Elisabeth, or all the other Queens are?
I think that the husbands (for example Philippe of Edmburgh), and the wives (like Letizia) of the royal members always have a less important role and fewer activities than their wives/husbands, no matters if they are men or women. This happens in every Royal family.
Naturally not the queens but the princesses, quite a lot of the time i think, they have to do the things that show 'soft skills', although i think Queen Sofia is naturally quite warm and almost like a mother in her manner to everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:36 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,195
In certain way, I believe that many commentaries of those who take place here are for lack of information or perspective.

Of information, because I am accustomed to reading news of every activity of the Princes, of journalists who accompany them habitually, of persons who accompany them in their visits ... and the labor of the Princess remains clear in all of them. On the one hand, the good influence that has had in the Prince, who has turned into a more accessible person ... and on the other hand her knowledge of the topics and her interest to know more. They are commentaries that repeat constant.

Of perspective because sometimes we forget which is the real role of the colitigants. She begins to have her activities in solitarily and she will have more in a future, and it is something important, and I am sure that she will end up by developing a good long-term project. But it will not have importance if she is not a support that stimulates the Prince in his work, because finally it is the important thing. If the Prince fails, it trumps everything.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:39 PM
giov's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Roma, Italy
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Naturally not the queens but the princesses, quite a lot of the time i think, they have to do the things that show 'soft skills', although i think Queen Sofia is naturally quite warm and almost like a mother in her manner to everyone.
Do you think that Princess Anne of England has soft skills?
I think she works even more than Andrew and Edward, without soft skills IMO!
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by giov View Post
Do you think that Princess Anne of England has soft skills?
I think she works even more than Andrew and Edward, without soft skills IMO!
Definitely not! But she is not married to the heir to the throne or will ever be direct heir to the throne herself. She is very hard worker for sure but she never won 'most popular princess' title (don't think she cares anyway) but hard work alone does not win people's hearts and the royal family were a lot more stiff until someone like diana came along and shocked them with her charm and popularity as wife to the heir to the throne I think princess anne likes horses more than people
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
is Letizia a patron of any entity involved in this trip? has she given a speech? anything? what else are we supposed to talk about then?
Quote:
i agree. as much as some of us would like to talk about something else (what did she say in her speech? did she do any activities concerning any of her interests as a royal? how did she perform her royal role with them? did she achieve something?), we didn't have much opportunity in this trip. she didn't either mention anything (well, in 90% of the times they attend they don't do so) to the press we can talk about and debate. that's why we concentrate on fashion and what she is wearing. it's really not our fault. it's the lack of substance that forces up to deepen in the more trivial aspects of the trip.
Agree 100 % !!!

Quote:
johann
And concerning Letizia´s role during this trip: If I read things like “She is probably the most well-informed among the crown princesses “ Sorry, this does not convince me at all. You cannot proof it is so, because all we see is Letizia sitting with closed lips next to her hubby. And I certainly cannot proof other crown princesses, and I am thinking of Mette-Marit and Mathilde here, who do similar business trips are better prepared.
Agree 100 % !!!
I don't say that Letizia is not well informed or not on top of things but since her marriage she has only done a handful of solo events and read two or three speeches from a paper. She did that well but hey, it should be an easy task for a former newsreader. Unless she is allowed to show what other CPs have already shown (Maxima, Mathilde, Mette Marit etc - eg solo trips abroad) we have no idea what Letizia is capable of and will concentrate on her fashion, as Crisinaki & Carlota have stated above. And in terms of Letizia being seriously involved in heavy networking with chinese officials' wives, sorry, I don't believe that a second - it's maybe wishful thinking of those who think that the most well informed CP ever around must somehow have contributed to the success of this trip and as we couldn't see anything on pics it must have happened behind the scenes

Letizia's background in journalism certainly helps but that doesn't make her a more suitable or intelligent CP than others and I find it a bit exaggerated to claim that Letizia had reached the height of her profession at the age of 31. With all due respect, she did have a good career but that's it.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:55 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
In certain way, I believe that many commentaries of those who take place here are for lack of information or perspective.

Of information, because I am accustomed to reading news of every activity of the Princes, of journalists who accompany them habitually, of persons who accompany them in their visits ... and the labor of the Princess remains clear in all of them. On the one hand, the good influence that has had in the Prince, who has turned into a more accessible person ... and on the other hand her knowledge of the topics and her interest to know more. They are commentaries that repeat constant.

Of perspective because sometimes we forget which is the real role of the colitigants. She begins to have her activities in solitarily and she will have more in a future, and it is something important, and I am sure that she will end up by developing a good long-term project. But it will not have importance if she is not a support that stimulates the Prince in his work, because finally it is the important thing. If the Prince fails, it trumps everything.
i wonder too if it is a deliberate plan by the SRF to give Letizia 'on the job training' by letting her follow her husband's lead until she feels ready to accept more solo roles. Also she is the mother of small children and so perhaps when the babies are bigger she will want to increase her roles. Sh has started already and i think she will do a very good job at solo activities.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM
yamamah's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 604
[quote=Duke of Marmalade;694630]Agree 100 % !!!



And in terms of Letizia being seriously involved in heavy networking with chinese officials' wives, sorry, I don't believe that a second - it's maybe wishful thinking of those who think that the most well informed CP ever around must somehow have contributed to the success of this trip and as we couldn't see anything on pics it must have happened behind the scenes

I mean it as it is the usual things that any career diplomat's wife would do, so why not Princess Letizia? What is wrong with her just being on the trip to support her husband? Lots of wives do that.
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:03 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 18,195
Duke, please, do not be hypocritical, when the Princess goes to to an act with young people with Down's Syndrome, you continue commenting on the clothes. In spite of the fact that the Princess, had the detail while the child with Down's Syndrome were speaking to be writing in her speech at the commentaries to do personal references to each of them. And her acts in solitary are not different from those of other Princesses. But now that has acts in solitarily, turns out to be that it does not value because the princesses only demonstrate anything when they do trips in solitarily. According to the Princess advances, the excuse is changing.

Certainly, the Prince has done numerous speeches in this trip, has met political and managerial Chinese representatives ... but it is not interested either, commentary nor deserves ... better we comment if he repeats tie.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamamah View Post
Thank you for explaining this me duke. I meant that the most important one to the country goes first but all royal spouses have influence. prince Phillip has a very strong personality i think. i was trying to say because Prince Phillip wasn't from British royalty directly and married the heir to the throne he would always come second publicly.
You are right of course. QE II comes first; I just wanted to state that Philip has been HRH by birth and is a heavyweight as spouse that I don't think can be matched in terms of number or quality of events and influence and his strong personality has been essential for his survival in the House of Windsor looking at the features of his wife and mother in law
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Prince and Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to Chile: November 22-24, 2011 lula King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 47 03-27-2012 06:46 PM
Prince and Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to Peru: November 22-25, 2010 lula King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 69 01-18-2011 04:30 AM
Prince and Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to India: November 10-11, 2009 lula King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 32 12-27-2009 03:50 AM
Prince Joachim & Princess Marie's Official Visit to China: November 22-29, 2009 Ccile Prince Joachim, Princess Marie and Family 66 12-07-2009 05:49 PM
Prince & Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to China: July 12-14, 2006 Paty King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family 175 07-20-2006 11:51 AM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge dutch state visit e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece josephine-charlotte kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander member introduction monarchy new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week pierre casiraghi portugal prince bernhard prince charles princess charlene outfits princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathilde's daytime fashion queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises