Prince and Princess of Asturias's Official Visit to China: November 14-16, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does she keep the same dress at the forbidden city than at exhibition "Art and cavalry in Spain ?

That grey dress with the white turtle neck is plain awful, looks like a sort of religious school uniform.

She was dressing nice till this point, the white turtleneck sweater with the grey dress is beyond my grasp :eek:
what an awful outfit, I thought it was nice when I saw the coat, but when she took that out, OMG :eek:

She was dressing nice till this point, the white turtleneck sweater with the grey dress is beyond my grasp :eek:
what an awful outfit, I thought it was nice when I saw the coat, but when she took that out, OMG :eek:
I totally agre with you!:flowers:
All the other outfits were nice, except a few details such as the brown stockings with the orange dress, or the the white shirt longer than the too casual leather jacket.
Anyways, she looked good. Also the grey suit looked nice.
But the last dress is awful IMO, while the coat is nice and elegant.

Last edited:
the forbidden city! what an amazing spot to see the princes of asturias in. perhaps one of the most royal places ever!
letizia looked awesome with her new suit!

I loved her coat, very chic and tailored that looks good on her but the grey dress made her look lumpy and like she had a big stomach when we allknow she is so slender in true life. I know it is cold in Beijing but she could look stylish too, although much of the haute couture this winter is very old fashioned and like a grandmother would wear :rolleyes:

I admire this coupls so much, really they must be the hardest working royals. they never stop, hardly a day off and always full working days. I like too that they are good with people in a natural way not over exaggerated especially with children like some other royals are. The princes seem so sincere

I beleived it was an economical and cultural trip, not a fashion one ! may be it would be interseting to know what the chinese people concerning by this visit has to think about Spain and the Princes of Asturias.

I had the feeling of the great competencies in diplomacia of the Prince of Asturias, for mr it's totally obvious that it's a field in which the Prince look very involved.

yes you are right adelaide but you know how we all love to see what letizia wears and talk about it. he he!

Every royal event has a meaning, very few of them are fashion related like in P. Mary's case since she's a fashion nest patron, however that dosn't stop us from talk about the clothes they are wearing in all the forums, in fact the vast majority of post are fashion related, if we are not allow to talk about clothes, accesories and so please enlight us. :rolleyes:

is Letizia a patron of any entity involved in this trip? has she given a speech? anything?

what else are we supposed to talk about then? :rolleyes:

is Letizia a patron of any entity involved in this trip? has she given a speech? anything?

Of course you are entitled to talk whatever you'd like to talk. It's always fun to discuss fashions of female royals, why not ?
Felipe isn't a patron of these organizations either. The Spanish royals seldomly add their names to the lists of patrons of various foundations, it doesn't mean the SRF don't support those foundations and did any less than some other royal houses in their countries.

Last edited:
That's true that Felipe y Letizia have made a good work in China. For me they are like diplomats renforcing relationships beetween Spain and others countries.
In the article they speak about France. I'm French and that's true french people think Spain's economy is late in Europe. I think it's an old idea from Franco. Spain was a "dictature" and it's very difficult to understand a neighbour country is in this case while we were so free in France (after 1968'revolution).
Princes are here to show Spain is a modern country and has a lot of ressources. They are a modern couple and are a very good representation of the Monarchy.... For me the best one of all the monarchy : closed to people, modern, not spending so much money (for a Monarchy !!!)...

Why do they go to China? With whom do they go? Whom do they meet? Of that these activities consist? Which is the consequence of the same ones?

It is supposed that it is the topic of this forum, to speak about fashion there is an entire forum only on this topic. Between doing a commentary, and to turn the fahion into the principal topic of the forums of activities, there is a difference. The response of which as the Princess a speech does not do her presence does not have importance, or does not do anything, sense does not make. First because in the speeches of the Prince it does not seem either that there is interest, and second because though the Princess does in solitary acts, and she declares speechs... some of them continue speaking only of fashion, do not even import either the speech, or the act or the activities of the organization that rest. And it can be read constant in the forums of activities.

i agree. as much as some of us would like to talk about something else (what did she say in her speech? did she do any activities concerning any of her interests as a royal? how did she perform her royal role with them? did she achieve something?), we didn't have much opportunity in this trip. she didn't either mention anything (well, in 90% of the times they attend they don't do so) to the press we can talk about and debate. that's why we concentrate on fashion and what she is wearing. it's really not our fault. it's the lack of substance that forces up to deepen in the more trivial aspects of the trip.

i actually quite liked it! it's different to what we normally see in her and imo quite trendy.

Please Carlota, when " there is substance " many people insist on speaking only about the clothes. Example any act in solitary and with speeches of the Princess. Precisely many of that have criticized that the Princess does not have acts in solitarily, are those who now when she does them devote themselves to criticize her clothes without giving the minimal attention to the content of these acts. Always looking for excuses.

The economy is bored, and the activities have not been not enterteining, not nice, not tender ... but in the economic aspect it has been an important trip, and in the politician also (the Princes have met in two visits the maximum representatives of the Chinese State). But it is the work of the Princes, to travel there, to be with the businessmen, to facilitate the signature of agreements ... and to eat ham:lol:. This trip had a function and a concrete aim, the support to the economy and the Spanish culture in China, and it is what they have done.

I am a huge fan of Letizia, she is a highly intelligent, accomplished woman in her own right and din't just get her fame from who she married like some other royal ladies. As a journalist, I am sure she has an excellent take on current affairs/history and other things and is a real asset to Spain. I am sure that she is doing her bit behind the scenes at all the galas/meetings etc and it is well known that behind every powerful man stands a woman so she is probably forging links amongst the wives and other ladies in China, women who will have the ear of other powerful men. this is diplomacy just not visible so I don't think anybody here is saying Letizia is irrelevent or frivolous as a person and i don't think talking about her outfits is a bad thing, it is part of the fun. For those people who don't want to talk about Princess Letizia's clothing then they they don't have to respond but can post comments about other things.

Princess Letizia is dignified and regal and is not pushy or attention grabbing like some other royal families. I like that her husband is so openly protective of her and that she shines in her own way, not neccessarily the celebrity way everyone expects. She seems to understand that she married into a grand old family and that dignity is crucial. Just because she doesn't push herself forwards does not mean she is doing nothing. Perhaps that her husband takes the lead is seen as a bad thing by some people but usually this is the way in the european royal houses, the one who is born of royal blood always takes precedence over the one who married in, for example Queen Elizabeth of Britain and the Duke of Edinburgh.

Let's all just talk about the things we like to talk about, if someone says something that isn't to taste, then ignore it and add your own comments to open up discussion :flowers:

Please Carlota, when " there is substance " many people insist on speaking only about the clothes. Example any act in solitary and with speeches of the Princess. Precisely many of that have criticized that the Princess does not have acts in solitarily, are those who now when she does them devote themselves to criticize her clothes without giving the minimal attention to the content of these acts. Always looking for excuses.

The economy is bored, and the activities have not been not enterteining, not nice, not tender ... but in the economic aspect it has been an important trip, and in the politician also (the Princes have met in two visits the maximum representatives of the Chinese State). But it is the work of the Princes, to travel there, to be with the businessmen, to facilitate the signature of agreements ... and to eat ham:lol:. This trip had a function and a concrete aim, the support to the economy and the Spanish culture in China, and it is what they have done.

Totally right, it's obviously that is happening with the threads regarding the Princes when they are together or for the Prince's thread.

Upon seven pages about this trip we have at least the half which is giving the respective taste of anybody about the wardrobe of the Princess. It's very interesting to know that what's his/her name like or don't like dress, tight, shoes, bag, hairdo of Letizia, but may be it's a little short to have an interssant exchange on for example the behaviour as economical diplomate of the Prince.

Two things: or this kind of trip have any interest for a discussion, either the single thing which is interesting is how the Princess is dressed?

This topic is so truth, and I agree totally with Lula, during a while many were the people who want that the Princess have her own agenda. As now she has, we could thing that the discussion could turn over her duties and not on the dress she is wearing. But few of the people who want that Letizia has her own agenda are speaking about her job. Too bad, because it's mean that tha fact of the Letizia's rising as a active agent of the Spain Royal Familly is whithout any consequences for the interest of the discussion, yes too bad and very curious.

Yamamah, you are right too. The problem isen't to forbid discussion about the wardrobe of the Princess of Asturias because as you say it's the part of fun. The problem is to have quite a complete thread about an economical and cultural trip only upon how is dressed the Princess of Asturias. That's all.

You are right too when you say if we dont li this kind of discussion don't answered! Look at this thread and watch who make the discussion to see that your advice is yet followed!

Thanks you Adelaide:flowers: Like I said, I am almost 100% sure that Princess Letizia is having discussions of her own with the ladies/businesswomen/politicians just perhaps it is not being covered by the press and being a fotmer journalist means she will have a good grasp of all the facts she needs to put her point across and encourage mutual trade and investment. These ladies that Ltizia is mixing with are also married to very impotant men and will have their own influence, so Letizia can perhaps raise in private things that may not be able to be raised publicly. This is what diplomacy is - oiling the wheels.

I agree with you yamamah!

A journalist specializing in royalty once said that although Letizia go to events together with her husband only as a companion, she is equally informed about this event that the prince, just like her husband, and that she also helped to the prince to write some speeches. The difference is simply that he read the speech and she does not read it.
I see she as a very intelligent woman who also has demonstrated a desire to "know" and to be informed about everything as good journalist that she was.
So although people do not see it and think that she is a statue stuck to her husband, she works and is interested in her work like the prince.

Last edited:
Exactly Camarina! I believe that they were probably given the exact same briefing and information before this trip and probably at the same time.

I do agree with you that this trip to China was very important to support the economy of Spain in China, well, we'd rather say, to promote Spain export to China. It was an important promotional tour, but not that interesting IMO, as all the Europeans countries send very often to Asia their representatives, royals or politicians, businessman, to promote export or for joint ventures.
Unfortunately, a few European countries, such as Spain, Italy realized very late how important is the Asiatic market.
So, nowdays those promotional tours to Asia are a sort of routine for most of the European Countries. Probably, that is also one of the reasons why the press didn't cover the event that much.
So, IMO you shouldn't be that surprised if many of the posters didn't understand the importance of this tour.
I personally, I am much more impressed when I saw Felipe and Letizia smiling and being extremely nice to the disabled people, as they did a few weeks ago.
As far as it regards comments on clothes, well, this happens in all the other threads and nobody complains, not even the thread moderators.
I think that, as we haven't met them personally, it is normal that we try to understand their personality from the way they dress and move.
Obviously we all have different tastes and different opinions about clothes!!
Though a few posters never accept any negative comment on Letizia's outfits.
Last but not least, I do believe that, though Letizia often doesn't say a word on public events, she is obviously well informed and I would be surprised if I knew that she doesn't help in writing all Felipe's speeches. She was a good journalist, so I am sure she still like to be well informed and she is curious about what happens all over the world, like all good jounalists.
I am sure that it is not her fault if she has only few solo events in her agenda. She can always manage greatly when Felipe is not there.
So we all should wonder why we seldom see her alone.
We should ask to the Zarzuela!

Last edited:
Thanks you Adelaide:flowers: Like I said, I am almost 100% sure that Princess Letizia is having discussions of her own with the ladies/businesswomen/politicians just perhaps it is not being covered by the press and being a fotmer journalist means she will have a good grasp of all the facts she needs to put her point across and encourage mutual trade and investment. These ladies that Ltizia is mixing with are also married to very impotant men and will have their own influence, so Letizia can perhaps raise in private things that may not be able to be raised publicly. This is what diplomacy is - oiling the wheels.

I totally agree with you. She is probably the most well-informed among the crown princesses. With her traning and background, I am sure she gives her opinions and advice behind the scenes. However, she knows her place is supporting her husband and not upstaging him. In the long run, this is the best situation for any royal family, not only for Spain.

Giov the problem is not to talk about the clothes of Princess, or some like it more or less. The problem is that this is the forum of activities, and lately in the forums of activities there are people who focus the conversation on clothing, where it is, therefore, specific forums. One thing is to make a comment, and another to focus the conversation on a topic that is not that of the forum. ;)

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f63/princess-letizia-s-daytime-fashion-part-2-a-13040.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f63/princess-letizia-s-eveningwear-2397.html

The journalists who habitually follow the Princes, the persons who meet them, the businessmen who accompany them, have very clear which is the work of the Princes, it informed well that are and the interest that they have for everything. And it can be read in many news on their activities. Of the Princess always they distinguish her interest to ask many things, and her good memory to remember information and names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom