The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/1453...tizia/ladi/di/

French magazine "Point of vue", specialized in the European Gotha Royalty, has defined the Princess of Asturias as the antithesis of late Lady Diana Spencer. Far from falling in the same mistake of other European monarchies, where the consorts have overshadowed their husbands (as in the case of Mette Marit in Norway, Mary Donaldson in Denmark and Matilde in Belgium), according to "Point of vue", Princess Letizia has known to remain in a discreet background position, without reducing an apex of her husband's protagonism.

The princesses, says the weekly magazine, have to take a special care with the "plebeianization" and the tyranny of the image. They do not have to be obsessed with fashion and glamour. There is a danger that frightens the modern monarchies: "In the end, the royal couple is debilitated, they get separate and they end up on the magazine's pages of social life or the section of divorces".
It’s s risk that our austere and discreet princess does not have to fear. Her behaviour, according to "Point of vue", is exquisite; so much, that they have put her on their cover.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Courtier

I am convinced late princess Diana and princess Letizia are very different and we cant say Letizia in any way is having the life Diana did or we can compare their personalities. I just dont like when the magazines return again and again on Diana, even for taking her as an example not to follow, they should stop using her for their purposes.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Commoner

I think that Letizia and Diana are two personalities completely different and I believe that the relationship between Letizia and Felipe differs a lot of the relationship that Diana had with Charles, maybe for that reason the behavior of Letizia is different, so much in relation to royal family as in relation to public opinion
Old 07-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Courtier

Lady Di cannot be compared to any of the current princesses, not even Letizia. No way!! The article is, IMO, absurd! I don't even think it makes sense.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:01 AM
Courtier

Teenagers and the media have the tendency to idealize people and that happened to lady Di, but media happens to take advantage of the minimun error those "idols" make...it is very sad but it is the way they are. Hopefully none of the princess will get idealized not even by their own fans, citizens or media, because they are the ones that suffers the consequences.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Aristocracy

I don't understand why Diana is considered a bad influence. She brought GREAT interest to England. Before, no one really cared about the Royals! When Di came in, suddenly the world was interested. If the Royals had used her popularity properly, the throne could have been safe for 100 years.

Isn't that part of the duties of a Princess? To bring attention to her country? How many people on this board (or other boards) have said that they had no idea certain countries even had a monarchy until they found out about the new Princess?

If this is really true about Letizia, then I am amazed that the feminists are not throwing a fit. Letizia has basically left all her strengths at the door and now she is just a typical submissive woman. So much for the strong independent Princess!!

Hopefully, this is just one man's opinion.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Letizia is very much a partner with Felipe. There is nothing submissive in her relationship with her husband. She is involved in all the engagements he has as the heir to the throne. From all reports that have been posted she is very active and involved in the meetings they attend together, the planning and preparation of their events and most likely also in writing his speeches.

Spain has a hardworking crown prince couple preparing themselves and the country for them as reigning King and Queen. Sending Letizia out on her own cutting ribbons would make no sense. She and Felipe is a powercouple and they are using her talants and strengths to further his role as the next King and their role as the next reigning couple.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenngirl
I don't understand why Diana is considered a bad influence. She brought GREAT interest to England. Before, no one really cared about the Royals! When Di came in, suddenly the world was interested. If the Royals had used her popularity properly, the throne could have been safe for 100 years.
It really depends what kind of attention one is bringing to one's country and one's monarchy. Not all attention is welcome. In the case of royalty I don't think "any press is good press" is a good mantra to live by.

Diana brought attention to some good causes in her life such as AIDS and landimines, but she also brought a lot of negative attention to the British monarchy through her affairs and how she drew attention to her unhappiness with Charles, their fledging marriage, divorce and his ongoing affair with Camilla, through how she handled certain ongoing situations in her life such as her eating disorders. To some extent she even involved her children in her ongoing battles. How many times have we heard the story of how William pushed tissues underneath the bathroom door one day because his mommy was crying over her marriage woes?

Quote:
Isn't that part of the duties of a Princess? To bring attention to her country? How many people on this board (or other boards) have said that they had no idea certain countries even had a monarchy until they found out about the new Princess?
I don't think the monarchies of Denmark, Spain, Belgium, Norway, etc. would want their monarchies to be introduced to the world: Because of very public problems their princesses had. How many people first learned that Norway had a monarchy because the Crown Prince was going to marry a single mother who had dabbled in drugs? In an ideal world is that how Norwegians would've wanted their country's monarchy to be known as in a first impression?

Quote:
If this is really true about Letizia, then I am amazed that the feminists are not throwing a fit. Letizia has basically left all her strengths at the door and now she is just a typical submissive woman. So much for the strong independent Princess!!
Being a feminist isn't about taking the lead or dominating situations, or dominating over men. Being a feminist is about women making the right choices for themselves. Equality between the sexes -- at the heart of the feminist movement -- is about allowing women the same opportunities as men, and part of that entails allowing women to make choices about their lives. Feminists fought hard for women to have the right to vote just as men had the right to vote. That doesn't mean a woman is submissive if she chooses not to vote. It means that she's exercising her right of choice to not vote, just as women who do vote exercise their right of choice to vote.

Perhaps it's a choice of Letizia's to accompany Felipe on engagements. Perhaps it's not a matter of thinking of them as his engagements, but as their engagements. (The flip side: How do we know that they are not engagements she sought out and they are actually her engagements that he is accompanying her on? )

One of my favourite quotes is by former American President Bill Clinton, (forgive me for paraphrasing) who says equality isn't about equal rights for all but the right for all to be equal.

How do we know that Felipe doesn't consider Letizia his equal or that Letizia doesn't consider herself his equal? In the eyes of the Spanish court, they might very well be equal partners and there is nothing submissive about their relationship or her relationship to him.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Commoner

Perfectly stated.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Hopefully, this is just one man's opinion.
I disagree, I have a different point of view. Letizia did not leave her strenghts at the door, she took the job of the fourth most powerful woman in the Kingdom right after the King, Queen and Crown Prince. And she is the second most powerful and influential woman in Spain right after the Queen. When Felipe becomes King, and God forbid something bad happens to him while Leonor is still an infant, the Kingdom will rest on the shoulders of none other that Letizia. I believe she was accepted by the family because they saw in her two great qualities: intelligence and independence. Anything can happen these days and Letizia, just like Queen Sofia, can easily take command as Regent. Her change in publics habits, from outspoken TV reporter to a more reserved royal family member, shows the great control she has on her emotions. And a great role model for their daugther Princess Leonor. She did not became submissive, she became a woman with an incredible power and the wisdom on how not to use it.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:45 PM
Nobility

not suprisingly, the media has the tendacy to compare women as a form of competition even if one of them has been dead close to 10 years. Letizia comes from a different generation, grew up in a middle class background, educated and build a strong career before her marriage. Her experience and perception of what a modern crown princess aught to be will be different and unique to her alone. No need to compare her to the late Princess Diana, a young lady married in her teens, never had any support or public training from the British monarchy and ended up in a loveless marriage, where both Charles & herself used the media as a scoring point against one another.

I think this prolonged obsession & exploitation of Diana has gone beyond the realm of humanity and should be stopped, but I know its a wishful thinking as long plp consider comparing & contrasting women is fair game.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:53 PM
Royal Highness

You are absolutely right. Right now we have a whole new generation of Crown Princesess that do not share the same time and space with Princess Diana. They are like a new breed of royal ladies while Diana could be called the modern Proto-Princess, the one who opened the door to this new generation of royal ladies. Unfortuately, these two generations of Royals never had the chance to met. But Diana and her times are a whole different story that cannot compare to the lives of the ones that came after her. To each it's own.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Courtier

Toledo, I completly agree with you. Letizia is incredibly capable and powerful in her own right. She will definitely make a great queen (hopefully not for a while).

As for the comparisons with Princess Di, they are absolutely rediculous. We are talking about two women who are very different, yet they are (were) incredible women and model Princesses.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Commoner

Princess Letizia has one thing that Princess Diana never had-the love and support of her husband. Prince Felipe seems to me to be incredibly bright in that he recognized a strong team mate when he saw her,and I don't think either of them would be happy without the intellectual support they give oneanother. In addition,Letizia is more fortunate than Princess Diana in that she has a Mother-in-law who is not only a great role model,but a wonderful instructor for the role she will someday have to fulfill.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

I think that in Rotal and not-royal families it's nice that husband and wife would walk side by side, and that non of them would "overshadow" his/her partner. Of course, for all this the true secret is...TRUE LOVE. This is a miracle than not everyone reachs in this life. It's like religious Faith. The ones who feels it, finds very easy to follow its path.

I think that, if the Princes of Asturias loves each other, it will be easy to them to keep walking side by side, helping each other and supporting each other as well. The one who loves the other doesn't want to be "the star", but rather that the one who he/she loves would be the star. And if this feeling is shared in a couple, the result is a loving partnership in which no one is superior to no one, but equal in love, confidence and strenght. No feminism, no machism. Where true love exist, these words make no sense.

I have the impression that Felipe and Letizia are this kind of couple. And of course, Letizia has a great couple of parents-in-law too. :)

Vanesa.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa
I think that, if the Princes of Asturias loves each other, it will be easy to them to keep walking side by side, helping each other and supporting each other as well. The one who loves the other doesn't want to be "the star", but rather that the one who he/she loves would be the star. And if this feeling is shared in a couple, the result is a loving partnership in which no one is superior to no one, but equal in love, confidence and strenght. No feminism, no machism. Where true love exist, these words make no sense.

Vanesa.
I think that this is a wonderfully true statement you've made Vanesa. :)

In any relationship where the two people really love each other, the one partner will want the other to shine and vice versa. One partner won't want to purposely outshine the other and if he or she knows that by some natural or superficial quality they do generate more attention than their partner they would try to play up some other aspects of their personality that should shine and attract the public's attention.
Old 07-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Nobility

I was at a newstand that carries foreign magazines. It had two copies of Point de Vue. I didn't buy it since I don't read French. Just a few hours later I went back to the newstand, both copies were sold.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Feminism is about equality. Look around at some of the princesses and you'll see pretty faces, latest style clothing and activities without much substance. If feminists want to throw a fit then there is where they should look. Not toward someone that is involved in the same activities as their husband.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toledo
I disagree, I have a different point of view. Letizia did not leave her strenghts at the door, she took the job of the fourth most powerful woman in the Kingdom right after the King, Queen and Crown Prince. And she is the second most powerful and influential woman in Spain right after the Queen. When Felipe becomes King, and God forbid something bad happens to him while Leonor is still an infant, the Kingdom will rest on the shoulders of none other that Letizia. I believe she was accepted by the family because they saw in her two great qualities: intelligence and independence. Anything can happen these days and Letizia, just like Queen Sofia, can easily take command as Regent. Her change in publics habits, from outspoken TV reporter to a more reserved royal family member, shows the great control she has on her emotions. And a great role model for their daugther Princess Leonor. She did not became submissive, she became a woman with an incredible power and the wisdom on how not to use it.
i completely agree with you.. i think Letizia is an asset to the SRF.. good luck to both of them!!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan
Feminism is about equality. Look around at some of the princesses and you'll see pretty faces, latest style clothing and activities without much substance. If feminists want to throw a fit then there is where they should look. Not toward someone that is involved in the same activities as their husband.
Well stated! I agree 100%.

Vanesa.:)