Official visit to the United States. June 14 to 19, 2018.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There was a short "blurb" on my local (Houston, TX) newscast Friday or Saturday night, but I have not seen anything since (caveat: I am not a regular newscast watcher - too depressing & also too one-sided for my tastes; I like all sides to be presented truthfully & objectively). On-line is still all Harry & Meaghan all the time, which was already old by the day of the wedding.

Not really - there has been almost no coverage - mostly because their visit is coinciding with the news of families being separated at the border and children being held in camps.

I saw something from Melania today talking about meeting with Queen Letizia to "help children" and that was met with intense criticism (and tbh, anger) given what her husband's administration is doing. That tweet quoting Melania was the first news I'd seen in the US about the Spanish royals even being here.

Before I saw this tweet (mostly because of the reactions to the tweet on my timeline) I had no idea the Spanish Royals were visiting.

Honestly - with what's going on, maybe that's for the best.

ETA: I just realized I quoted the wrong post - I was trying to respond to the question of was there much coverage in the US about this visit and from where I'm sitting there has been almost no coverage.

Last edited:
Felipe will do what the government tells him to do, that is his role, whatever people think of Trump and his actions, he is the elected leader of a democratic country, I am sure Felipe met people worse than him and besides, what have other leaders done so far, would there any of them left to be visited?

It's quite clear that the Spanish government will be interested in a meeting with Trump when Felipe is in the US, he's the leader of the free world after all or supposed to be.

Not sure what Melania was referring to, Letizia did not have a 'solo event' with her, last time she went to see the White House Garden with Michelle, alledgedly talking about a food project. This time, there was no event and not even a photo with the two ladies sitting somewhere on their own, only walking behind their husbands and back to the private area when the husbands went into the Oval Office.

Felipe will do what the government tells him to do, that is his role, whatever people think of Trump and his actions, he is the elected leader of a democratic country, I am sure Felipe met people worse than him and besides, what have other leaders done so far, would there any of them left to be visited?

It's quite clear that the Spanish government will be interested in a meeting with Trump when Felipe is in the US, he's the leader of the free world after all or supposed to be.

Not sure what Melania was referring to, Letizia did not have a 'solo event' with her, last time she went to see the White House Garden with Michelle, alledgedly talking about a food project. This time, there was no event and not even a photo with the two ladies sitting somewhere on their own, only walking behind their husbands and back to the private area when the husbands went into the Oval Office.

I guess in the end, history will let us know how this visit will be regarded. The images of Wallis Simpson and Edward visiting Germany during Hitler's time come to mind.

Trump has been elected democratically as President of the United States, he is the President that the Americans have elected regardless of whether there are people who do not share his acts or ideology. The European countries that last week looked the other way while a boat full of immigrants was abandoned in the Mediterranean because of the Italian Government are not very different from Trump.

King Felipe has been supporting the Hispanic community in the United States for years, meeting with students and their political representatives every time he visits the country... probably he knows better and has supported more hispanics in the United States, than many of those who now, with full reason, are indignant with Trump. In his words in the oval office before the press, the King spoke of the Hispanic past of the United States and democracy ... what he can say diplomatically, because his role is not that of a politician.

Videos from White House Youtube

I agree that Felipe does what the government tells him to do regardless of how he feels about what is going on. It's his duty. Full stop.

Let's not go into the he's a democratic elected leader as if it added anything to it though. Hitler was elected too. And no, I'm not comparing him to Hitler, who ordered mass genocide, I'm just pointing out the flaw of that argument.

Can we cease with the historical comparisons and leave the political talk to other forums -Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom