The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Nobility

I saw the king also on the television.He was calm and happy.But they didn't show the part when he answer no to that cuestion.But someone from an other Forum already explaine to me why he maybe don't want the baby to be name Juan carlos.Is because his name is Juan an for historical problems with Franco.So Now i understand.

Old 10-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

The King Juan Carlos in family always has been Juan. In Spain he was the Prince Juan Carlos (the relations between Franco and Don Juan were bad enough). When he acceded to the throne a successor problem appeared. His father had been Juan III (and such how it ordered his son buried him), then a problem was appearing ... because of it he ended up by being the King Juan Carlos I, and not Juan III or Juan IV. Probably because of it the King does not want that his grandson calls this way.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

How about Victor Carlos Luis Felipe Jorge Alfonso Jozef
Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Courtier

I've read some declarations made by the King, who said that the princes of asturia haven't asked him how to name their son/daughter, he added if they would have done he would have said whatever they want. It sounds to me that he expected them to asked. I think it would be very normal for a prince and wife to consult about names, specially to the family. I hope this does not represent that they have a distant relationship.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel
I've read some declarations made by the King, who said that the princes of asturia haven't asked him how to name their son/daughter, he added if they would have done he would have said whatever they want. It sounds to me that he expected them to asked. I think it would be very normal for a prince and wife to consult about names, specially to the family. I hope this does not represent that they have a distant relationship.
I who you me would not take very much seriously the King Juan Carlos, it is necessary to know his humor and how he says the things. In Spain we are accustomed to his way of being, probably in other countries be difficult to deal.
Not if they would ask something him or not, but they were doing it it would not be so strange, the parents choose the names of their children, it is very heavy when the whole family wants to think. Bearing in mind that besides have to the whole country choosing names. Even the journalists have bets on the sex of the baby, the name and the date of birth.:p
Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Carolina Sofía Paloma Elena Cristina Covadonga de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz

CP Letizia isn´t from royal or aristocrat background, so the new Infante or Infante won´t be Borbon y Ortiz, he/she will be named Borbon-Ortiz. (I read it somewhere) :)

My guesses :p

Boy: Carlos Felipe Alfonso Pelayo de Todos los Santos de Borbon-Ortiz

Girl: Sofia de las Mercedes de Todos los Santos de Borbon-Ortiz
Old 10-27-2005, 07:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicamaluca

CP Letizia isn´t from royal or aristocrat background, so the new Infante or Infante won´t be Borbon y Ortiz, he/she will be named Borbon-Ortiz. (I read it somewhere) :)
What is the difference exactly?

I know that the Infanta's children are named "Marichalar y de Borbón" and "Urdangarín y de Borbón", so that was why I used Borbón y Ortiz...
Old 10-27-2005, 08:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
What is the difference exactly?

I know that the Infanta's children are named "Marichalar y de Borbón" and "Urdangarín y de Borbón", so that was why I used Borbón y Ortiz...
They are "y de Borbon" because her mother is from royalty . In Spain, the mother´s family name came in the end, but children use dad's family name (exp. Letizia Ortiz (dad's name) Rocasolano(mom's name)). So, the Infanta's children, being her mothers royal ladies, they were named y de Borbon. If Marichalar or Urdangarin were the mom´s name, they would becalled "borbon y Marichalar" (because Jaime is from an aristocratic family) and "borbon-Urdangarin".

Why it´s like this, i don´t know :p I´ll try to find out the article were i read, maybe it explains why
Old 10-27-2005, 01:13 PM

I like Juan Carlos Alfonso. :)
Old 10-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Commoner

I named my daughter Sophia Carolina Carrera. precicely because of the Queen. My father's side of the family came from Spain and had titles something similar to a Marques y Marqueza (spelling?) so going to my Spanish side of the family I pulled the highest I could get.

So if the Princes were to choose Sofia I would be delighted. I already put a name that I thought they would be using in similarity - Sofia Maria de las Mercedes Cristina. These three ladies are/were very close to the Prince. I would dislike it very much that they add Letizia's mom name or her own. I think the name Paloma doesn't sound royal at all. I find it quite vulgar my self. All I think of is the bird. in my opinion.

As for boys like I said before, I hope is a girl and not a boy. but if science wins, Alfonso Juan Pablo de todos los santos.

But definitely a girl must be born!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
I like Juan Carlos Alfonso. :)
king Juan Carlos said yesterday that definitly the baby won´t be called Juan Carlos, like him.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika
So if the Princes were to choose Sofia I would be delighted. I already put a name that I thought they would be using in similarity - Sofia Maria de las Mercedes Cristina. These three ladies are/were very close to the Prince. I would dislike it very much that they add Letizia's mom name or her own. I think the name Paloma doesn't sound royal at all. I find it quite vulgar my self. All I think of is the bird. in my opinion.
Paloma is not a vulgar name, and is more Spanish than for example Sofía. The Virgin of la Paloma is one of the mistresses of Madrid, how the Virgin of the Almudena.
Each country has different names. For example, in Spain there are many names of Virgins, many cities and towns it has his Virgins. Those names can to be strange for people who do not know them, but in Spain they are very normal.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Heir Apparent

hola is doing a poll on the names for the future baby:

if she is a girl...

Sofía 1931
María 317
Cristina 149
Elena 73
Victoria 558
Eugenia 439
Federica 171
Isabel 618
Almudena 302
Covadonga 496
Letizia 117
Pilar 233

if he is a boy....

Juan 686
Carlos 937
Alfonso 877
Jaime 207
Pablo 347
Felipe 476
Pelayo 1298
Fernando 524
Enrique 190
Jesús 82
Luis 263
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Aristocracy

Hmmm....

Girl: Isabel Sofía Paloma Covadonga.

Boy: Carlos Juan Jesús María

I'm horrible at these things.:p
Old 10-27-2005, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Ok, the King said that he doesn't want the baby to be named Juan Carlos. So why don't they name their child just Juan?
Old 10-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChicaMadrilena
Ok, the King said that he doesn't want the baby to be named Juan Carlos. So why don't they name their child just Juan?
The baby could not be called Juan of first name, could not reign how Juan. The father of the King was called Juan and he did not reign, there is a dynastic jump and that creates a problem at the time of knowing whereupon number would reign. It would have to be Juan with another name, how the King is Juan Carlos.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see, thanks Lula.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
Nobility

I prefer names that are meaningful, rather than traditional. Maybe these new parents will completely surpise all of us?!

I'd love to see a baby girl named Esperanza- it means hope. For a girl, I also like:
Constanza- constant
Isabella- devoted to God
Leya- loyal
Mercedes- merciful
Querida- beloved

I'd like Alejandro for a boy- it means defender of mankind. Other male names I like are:
Benedicto- blessed
Esteban- crowned in victory
Fernando- brave
Lucio- light
Ramon- wise defender

I think these are meaningful names to give a future monarch. Not traditional... but maybe that's OK!

Eliza
Old 10-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Courtier

Boy or girl, the baby will have a theater with his/her name

The city hall of Jaen announced that the most waited city theater (already under constrution) will have the name of the Princes first born. This will be city gift to the baby Infante/Infanta, together with a tales book about the city legends, in a single edicion, embroided with gold thread.

A spanish article about it:
http://www.ideal.es/jaen/pg051029/pr...E-LOC-156.html
Old 10-30-2005, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Now that we know it's a girl, any better guesses on what her name might be?

Elsa mentioned that she was born on the eve of All Saints Day -- will that determine the baby's name?

I myself like the name Isabella as a first name. Infanta Isabella sounds lovely.