The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Covadonga and Pelayo aren't so rare, I've heard them quite a few times here, and know the story of the batalla with Don Pelayo. But then again there are a lot of Spanish people in Miami and a lot of Cubans are descendants of Spaniards, so it's not so weird for me. Personally, I don't like them, but I don't find them weird either.

Ani

Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 AM
Commoner

Infante Alfonso
Infanta Ana
Infanta Teresa

Old 09-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Changing topic...

After LEONOR, to try to guess the name seems to be very difficult. Probably let's look for slightly common, historical and literary names, and they end up by choosing a very normal name in the family.

If they choose for traditional names, the girl might be Sofia, Isabel, Victoria, Maria, Mercedes, Cristina... If he is a boy... Felipe, Alfonso, Juan,Carlos, Fernando... They are the names that more repeat themselves in the Royal Family, but sometimes it also brings links historical, a bit complicated.

If they follow Leonor's example, we would have to look for a bit less common names in the Spanish Monarchy ... we might investigate a bit when see which appear.

For example, Catalina, wife of Enrique III, and the first Princess of Asturias.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Gentry

Infanta Isabela or Infante Alfonso
Old 09-30-2006, 11:24 AM
Aristocracy

I agree with those who think that Felipe and Letizia could surprise us again with their choice of name for the new baby. But, just the same, I’d like to venture some guesses, based on some names of Spanish royal children in history -- just to be true to the tradition they’ve started in their choice of Leonor’s name

For an infanta:
Catalina, Clara, Eugenia, Margarita, María
For an infante:
Carlos, Diego, Enrique, Fernando, Pedro
Old 09-30-2006, 12:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Really your commentaries are offensive, I do not believe that you liked that they were joking of your names. You can like more or less a name, but I do not believe that it is necessary to joke.
Sorry if i offended anyone, maybe ridiculous was a little strong, there are also ugly(for me) names in my family life Teresa, Enriqueta,Faustina Santina, completely old-fashioned, but i don´t think it´s offensive to dislike them. Times change and names also have their time, it was just an opinion, but again i apologize.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think it will be isabella. It may be strange. If I were Letezia I wouldn't like to give my daughter the name of an ex girlfriend of my husband... but I'm not her and I know Isabelle has been a queen in Spain!!!!
I'd lihe they surprise us another time. Never mind what they'll choose...It will be nice! They are the parents and they must choose a name they like !!!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:44 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza61
If I were Letizia I wouldn't like to give my daughter the name of an ex girlfriend of my husband...
Good point..!!

I think that if it's a girl they might name her Sofia, probably they didn't for their first daughter because it was too predictable and wanted to surprise, and they did with Leonor which is a beautiful name.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Courtier

For an infanta maybe Carolina, Sofia or Isabel. To an infante maybe Alfonso, Carlos or Felipe.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana
Covadonga is one of the uggliest names i´ve heard, sorry, it´s so ridiculous , maybe not in Spain, but in America, it sounds like the name of a milk . Poor girl!!
I don't think they will come up with that name eitherway, even they said they will probably name they first ones either with Covadonga or Pelayo but since they completely surprise everybody with Leonor you can spect a different kind of name and w/o a second name of a Saint as Leonor Maria or Leonor de ..... but I can't deny I will like a "most royal" name for the new baby. I let you the Covadonga history and actually I know, is a big name for a little baby but also is Leonor, and more Doña Leonor as people call her but Covadonga is pretty spanish and royal, if you say Infanta Covadonga de Borbon it won't look bad, and there's no way that you can say such thing as Covadonguita or Covadonguilla, I hate when people minimize the names (or whatever the custom of our, Latins speakers on putting the ita or ito at the end is), also the name is an asturian one.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Covadonga (Asturian: Cuadonga), from Latin Cova dominica, "Cavern of the Lady", is a village in Asturias, northwestern Spain, among the Picos de Europa mountains where Spanish Christians won a battle over the Muslim Moors around 718 and 725. This was the first victory of the Christians over the occupying Moors and had great symbolic significance as the start of Reconquista. It is currently a Marian shrine. The Spanish Army has named several entities "Covadonga".

Since you can read Spanish take a look at this publication:

http://www.desdeasturias.com/asturia....asp?idruta=61

I didn't felt offended by your post however remember: beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't think you will need a retaliation since they will come up with a much modern or less royal name.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:46 AM
Courtier

I'm guessing if it's a girl they would name her Isabella, Victoria and Margarita. If' it's a boy Ihope they would name him Alfonso. Such a good name. But I'm betting that we'll all be surprised again with the choice of name of the baby.. I doubt they will name their baby a very common name. I think they will give a royal name but not so common among SRF..
Old 10-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Gentry

If it is a boy, perhaps he will be named Juan in remembrance of the Count of Barcelona. He could also be named something more traditional, such as Alfonso or Enrique.

If the child is female, she may be named after one of the King's relatives or a traditional royal name in Spain: maybe Maria, Catalina, Isabel, or Juana.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:21 AM
Courtier

I don't think they will use the names of Felipe's nieces and nephews and his cousins' children, so I don't think they will use Juan again, unless it is used as a middle name or if his name is, for example, Juan Alfonso and they call him Alfonso. But I don't think his name will be Carlos, since that's Alexia's son's name. I'm still rooting for Infante Alfonso or Infanta Gabriela!
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Isn't Gabriela the name of King Juan Carlos' ex-girlfriend? I don't think the Queen would be too pleased with that.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Courtier

Oooh, darn. I really love that name though...if the baby is a boy, I think the whole F/L thing would be kind of cute, and maybe if they don't name him Alfonso, they could call him Fernando or Federico. If they won't use Gabriela, I'd love for them to use Lola!
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
For a girl I like the name Pilar, Luisa or Carlotta
For a boy maybe Ferdinand

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Serene Highness

Princess Suggestions:
Isabel/Isabella
Sofia
Victoria

Prince Suggestions:
Alfonso
Carlos
Pedro
Old 10-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Like the name of Leonor, Felipe and Letizia will go with another historical royal name, but not common in the street. Both like reading historical books, I think they will surprise us again.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:17 AM
Nobility

I personally don't have any idea what they will call the new baby because they chose a fairly uncommon name for Leonor.

I have found this website that has a genealogy of the house of Borbon.
http://www.geocities.com/henrivanoen...html#alfonso12

There are so many names in the family tree that I wouldn't know where to start guessing.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyS
I personally don't have any idea what they will call the new baby because they chose a fairly uncommon name for Leonor.

I have found this website that has a genealogy of the house of Borbon.
http://www.geocities.com/henrivanoen...html#alfonso12

There are so many names in the family tree that I wouldn't know where to start guessing.
The link does not work for me. Are you sure it's the right one? I'd love to see it