The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 09-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Anna_R's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81
This is a fun thread, thanks for that. I am not that familiar with Spanish names but I also really like Isabela or Gabrela. My only problem is that I don't really like the name Leonor and if you make the next little one have a very feminine name - Leonor will even sound worse, IMO.
Question- I am american, is Leonor pronounce differently in Spanish? Thanks
Prince Felipe says the name in this video (around the 35th second of it)

__________________

__________________
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift... That's why it's called present...
  #62  
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Rebafan81's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Akron, United States
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
Prince Felipe says the name in this video (around the 35th second of it)

Thank you so much for that video, I totally change my mind about her name. It has a totally different pronouncation then what I thought it would be in English. I think it sounds beautiful. Thanks again
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:05 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: n, France
Posts: 610
What would be the English pronounciation for Leonor?
__________________


  #64  
Old 09-28-2006, 02:08 PM
LaChicaMadrilena's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cracow, Poland
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline
What would be the English pronounciation for Leonor?
Probably you would read the first part- Leo- as "Leonardo" or Leo di Caprio
__________________




  #65  
Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
I think they should choose a modern name. Traditional names in the SRH are a little old-fashioned. Names like Carlos, Alfonso, Felipe, Enrique,Jose are not used for little boys nowadays.
__________________
  #66  
Old 09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
tricia's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Indianapolis, United States
Posts: 63
My picks for a girl: Josefina or Consuela

Boy: Ignacio or Gonzalo
__________________
  #67  
Old 09-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Mathilde1286's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: -, United States
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline
What would be the English pronounciation for Leonor?
In a spanish pronunciation, the Le in Leonor is pronounced like you would say the "le" in the English word Let (obviously without the "t").

Now, on in Leonor would be like the French pronounciation for the "on" in non)

Then, for the last two letters, or, you would pronounce like the Spanish word for gold, oro, all while trying to roll the "r." Result: Le-on-or. Leonor.

A bit much, but hope that helps.
__________________
"ONE" *Get involved and help with the fight against extreme poverty!!*

www.one.org
  #68  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:04 AM
morhange's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Springfield, United States
Posts: 570
I'm going to cross my fingers for an Infanta Gabriela or an Infante Alfonso!
__________________
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
  #69  
Old 09-29-2006, 02:56 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: n, France
Posts: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybelline
What would be the English pronounciation for Leonor?
Probably you would read the first part- Leo- as "Leonardo" or Leo di Caprio
Thank you!
__________________


  #70  
Old 09-29-2006, 03:34 AM
lise's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: somewhere in, Australia
Posts: 462
Boy: I'm not sure

Girl: Gabriela
__________________
  #71  
Old 09-29-2006, 05:02 AM
RaniaRocks's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Greece, United States
Posts: 276
Boy:
Fernando, Felipe, Fernan.
w/o the F:
Leonardo, Alfonso, Enrique.

Girl: Lourdes, Laura (or Maria Laura), Loyola.
w/o the L:
Covadonga, Pilar, Almudena, Mercedes, Paz, Blanca.
__________________
  #72  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Anna_R's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Posts: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81
Thank you so much for that video, I totally change my mind about her name. It has a totally different pronouncation then what I thought it would be in English. I think it sounds beautiful. Thanks again
You're welcome. And I'm glad you like the name now, it's a very feminine name in my opinion
__________________
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift... That's why it's called present...
  #73  
Old 09-29-2006, 09:38 AM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: , Canada
Posts: 3,220
I think if it's a boy they will go with a more traditional name, but if it's a girl, they might surprise us all with an untraditional or unexpected name as they did with the choice of Leonor when so many had flagged Sofia or Isabella as a popular choice.
__________________
  #74  
Old 09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Her_Majesty's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 8,554
I really like the spanish names Mercedes and Carmen..
I don't know... a little Princess Mercedes

For a boy I would chose a name like Juan or Alejandro.
__________________
Have a look at TRF Rules and FAQ



  #75  
Old 09-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: ......, Argentina
Posts: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaniaRocks
Boy:
Fernando, Felipe, Fernan.
w/o the F:
Leonardo, Alfonso, Enrique.

Girl: Lourdes, Laura (or Maria Laura), Loyola.
w/o the L:
Covadonga, Pilar, Almudena, Mercedes, Paz, Blanca.
Covadonga is one of the uggliest names iīve heard, sorry, itīs so ridiculous , maybe not in Spain, but in America, it sounds like the name of a milk . Poor girl!!
__________________
  #76  
Old 09-30-2006, 04:45 AM
LaChicaMadrilena's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cracow, Poland
Posts: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana
Covadonga is one of the uggliest names iīve heard, sorry, itīs so ridiculous , maybe not in Spain, but in America, it sounds like the name of a milk . Poor girl!!
I agree completely. If they give the girl this name I won't enter TRF for a week, as a form of protest Of course until they leave the hospital to present this cutie . Infanta Covadonga, just imagine! I hate Pelayo as well, I can't remember Letizia saying she liked it. Anyway, where is the point in giving babies the names, that no other kid at school will have?
__________________




  #77  
Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 16,739
Really your commentaries are offensive, I do not believe that you liked that they were joking of your names. You can like more or less a name, but I do not believe that it is necessary to joke.

In every country there are names that are traditional, and that arenīt in use in other places of the world. In Spain for example, there are many different virgins, and many women take the name of that virgins. From Rocio (dew), up to Camino (walk), Portal (portal), Puerto (port), Mar (sea), Pilar... And these women are proud of their names that honor to the history and the local tradition where they were born.

Covadonga and Pelayo, are not rare names for any Spanish, all the persons know wherefrom these names come and know that they are very habitual in Asturias (the one who does not know it is an ignoramus who does not know the history of Spain). No child is rare, for having that names.
__________________
  #78  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Posts: 14,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
Really your commentaries are offensive, I do not believe that you liked that they were joking of your names. You can like more or less a name, but I do not believe that it is necessary to joke.
Everbody has a right to dislike/like certain things and names. The posters merely expressed their opinions without personally attacking anybody. To call these posts 'offensive' sounds a bit to strong IMO. But feel free to explain why you do like these names (as you are doing & which is rather informative).
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
  #79  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:30 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 16,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Everbody has a right to dislike/like certain things and names. The posters merely expressed their opinions without personally attacking anybody. To call these posts 'offensive' sounds a bit to strong IMO. But feel free to explain why you do like these names (as you are doing & which is rather informative).
I also have right to express my opinion, and personally I feel offended because in my family these names exist, and I know many persons who call this way. And because both are names very linked to the history of Spain, and there are many persons who have an affective link to what these names represent.

You can like or not a name, to my many of the names proposed here, I do not like them, others do not seem to me to be not Spanish at all, and others seem to me to be passed from this epoch. But I do not say that they are ridiculous, or insinuate that if a child has this name they would laugh at him in the school.

I believe that there is a limit and a difference, between the opinion and the offense.
__________________
  #80  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:53 AM
adelaide's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: paris, France
Posts: 2,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
I also have right to express my opinion, and personally I feel offended because in my family these names exist, and I know many persons who call this way. And because both are names very linked to the history of Spain, and there are many persons who have an affective link to what these names represent.

You can like or not a name, to my many of the names proposed here, I do not like them, others do not seem to me to be not Spanish at all, and others seem to me to be passed from this epoch. But I do not say that they are ridiculous, or insinuate that if a child has this name they would laugh at him in the school.

I believe that there is a limit and a difference, between the opinion and the offense.

You are totally right Dear Lula, for at least two reasons.

The fisrt, even Pelayo is a name which the sound is strange for foreigners, it's obvous thatb it's an historical name and only for that it's very respectable! Do you thing really that " Fernando" is more beautiful than Pelayo ?

The second one: this thread is typiclly a game because as the Princes had shown us for Leonoer, it will be certain that will chooze a name which like first before to find one in the costums of the real house.

I'm sure that we will be surprised.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Letizia is pregnant with the second girl!!! elenaris King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia and Family 511 03-23-2007 06:23 AM
Favourite outfits worn by Letizia: January 2006 - March 2007 carlota Archives 19 03-03-2007 06:18 AM
Laws and traditions regarding wives, children, and concubines KathyMoore Imperial Family of Japan 13 10-04-2006 01:51 PM
Princess Letizia, Current Events Part 1: August - December 2004 Alexandria Current Events Archive 188 12-22-2004 08:47 AM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
abdication birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit current events fashion genealogy grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king constantine ii king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg nobility olympic games olympics ottoman poland pom president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince pieter-christiaan princess anita princess astrid princess beatrix princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess margriet princess marilene princess mary princess mary fashion princess of asturias queen anne-marie queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal royal fashion russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit sweden the hague wedding



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]