The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena T
Could someone please explain how Jimena is pronounced? Thanks.
If my memory serves me correct (I had a classmate by that name) its pronounced hee-Me-nah or hee-Meh-nah...can't remember which. The J in spanish names is pronounced like a h (something I found from my experiences).

Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Like puppigurl said hee-Me-nah but also HEE-men-a

Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Courtier

On Spain they all speculate "JIMENA", a very pretty name.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppigurl2005
If my memory serves me correct (I had a classmate by that name) its pronounced hee-Me-nah or hee-Meh-nah...can't remember which. The J in spanish names is pronounced like a h (something I found from my experiences).
Well it isn't really like an English h, but maybe close enough. In german it would be like a ch.
I think Jimena is really pretty, I really hope that they choose the name! But who knows, maybe Felipe and Leticia don't want anything the press is speculating about!
Old 04-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I love Jimena! it sounds really great.

Now, I don't know about the Princes' shortlist, but here is my shortlist of favourite names for the Infanta.

1. Catalina
2. Jimena
3. Sarita
4. Sofia
5. Louise
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Mine:

1. Luísa
2. Amelia
3. Manuela
4. Catalina
5. Laura
Old 04-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Aristocracy

What does ''Jimena'' means?
Old 04-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Aristocracy

My top 3:
1. Catalina
2. Mercedes
3. Beatriz

I hope it will be a traditional name with the connections to the royal family or to the spanish history but I will respect every name the princes will choose. I can`t wait to know it!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryo
What does ''Jimena'' means?
Jimena means ''The one, who listens".

And a couple more meanings:
Catalina means "pure" or "Innocent".
Sarita (Sara) means "the one, who rules"
Luisa means "prominent in the battle"
Amelia means "tender"
Manuela means "God is with us"
Mercedes means "favour" or "mercy"
Laura means "triumph"
Beatriz means "fortunate" or "Happiness"
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

And a question to our Spanish speakers - do you pronounce the J in Jimena like 'H' or like 'J' in Juan, 'G' in Getafe?

I've always pronounced 'J' in 'Jimena' like 'J' in 'Juan'.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Nobility

There are a lot of Spanish beautiful names that can be chosen by Felipe & Letizia for their second girl. My favorites are Antonia, Luisa, Fernanda, Carolina, Aurelia and Olivia. Hope they can chose some of them and not Mercedes or Jimena. For me these are old-fashioned and ugly. I don't like Leonor either maybe because it's not a common name here in Brazil and the only Leonores that I know are old ladies.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
And a question to our Spanish speakers - do you pronounce the J in Jimena like 'H' or like 'J' in Juan, 'G' in Getafe?

I've always pronounced 'J' in 'Jimena' like 'J' in 'Juan'.
The "J" in spanish is not like the "H" in english,for example the "H" of "House" is similar but it is not
exactly equal, the "J" sounds more fort.
The "J" in Jimena is pronounced like the "J" in Juan
Old 04-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Courtier

I would like a name that begins with L... Letizia Leonor and L...
- Lucía
- Laura
Old 04-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauritas138
The "J" in spanish is not like the "H" in english,for example the "H" of "House" is similar but it is not
exactly equal, the "J" sounds more fort.
The "J" in Jimena is pronounced like the "J" in Juan
Thank you Lauritas138! I was a bit confused after it was suggested the name is pronounced 'hee-me-nah', so I thought one of our Spanish members could clarify it.

We have the letter 'J' (as in "Juan") as well as letter 'H' (as in ''House) in Armenian Alphabet, so I can appreciate what a beautiful name Jimena is.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Royal Highness

I would like the names Sofia (for the Queen) or Erika (for Letizia's late sister). I think they are both pretty names and I like names that have some family history.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Nobility

You´re welcome Avalon!!
Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Thank you Lauritas138! I was a bit confused after it was suggested the name is pronounced 'hee-me-nah', so I thought one of our Spanish members could clarify it.

We have the letter 'J' (as in "Juan") as well as letter 'H' (as in ''House) in Armenian Alphabet, so I can appreciate what a beautiful name Jimena is.
Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it? This name is is my favorite now for the new infanta.
In German we have both sounds, too and I know about Armenian also, because one of my friends taught me the armenian alphabet and we used it as a secret alphabet in school for secret letters.
But in America I encounter very often Juan being pronounced as Hwan, Jorge as Horge, etc.
I don't think it sounds very beautiful, personally.
My second choices are Mercedes and Pilar, then Sofía or Beatriz.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it? This name is is my favorite now for the new infanta.
In German we have both sounds, too and I know about Armenian also, because one of my friends taught me the armenian alphabet and we used it as a secret alphabet in school for secret letters.
But in America I encounter very often Juan being pronounced as Hwan, Jorge as Horge, etc.
I don't think it sounds very beautiful, personally.
My second choices are Mercedes and Pilar, then Sofía or Beatriz.
In Russian they don't have either 'J' or 'H' so sometimes names that start on those letter are pronounced as 'G'. Harry, for example, is Garry. And that certainly doesn't add much to the original beauty of those names.

Armenian is very reach with secret letters, so you must have learnt quite a few of them.
Though German (which I studied briefly for a couple of months) is quite rich with them as well.

Back to names, though I love Jimena, it's only second favourtie for me. I love the name 'Catalina' more. I have a friend called Catalina and everyone calls her 'Cara' for short, which personally I like vry much.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:26 AM
Commoner

I prefer Gabriela for girl and Alejandro for boy.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Gentry

Sofia or Jimena for new infanta.