The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 06:00 AM
Aristocracy

I like Sofia but I don't think they will choose this name ! I think that if they wanted her girl named Sofia they would have named Leonor, Sofia.
But I can be totally wrong
That will be the surprise of the birth..... the only one !
I've seen Felipe on Tv ! What a plasure to see him so happy and so in loved speaking about The baby, Leonor and Letizia. He can't hide his happiness !

Old 11-29-2006, 06:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza61
I like Sofia but I don't think they will choose this name ! I think that if they wanted her girl named Sofia they would have named Leonor, Sofia.
But I can be totally wrong
That will be the surprise of the birth..... the only one !
I've seen Felipe on Tv ! What a plasure to see him so happy and so in loved speaking about The baby, Leonor and Letizia. He can't hide his happiness !
You right because the Prince is very well know for his shyness an reserve about his feelings. To see this great hearty man speaking in public with so tenderness about his family it's a very sympathetic image!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelaide
You right because the Prince is very well know for his shyness an reserve about his feelings. To see this great hearty man speaking in public with so tenderness about his family it's a very sympathetic image!
He's just in love with his girls, and now they are having another girl. He's one lucky man!

And for names I would like Sofia, Isabella and Christina..
Old 11-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Serene Highness

I am very happy that this baby is a girl. I really want Leonor to gain her rightful place as the future Queen of Spain.
If they stick with the new tradition of only one name I really hope they name her Catalina. I really like this name a lot.
God Bless the family.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I'm guessing they will choose another name starting with L... like Letizia and Leonor. My guess goes to Luisa or Maria Luisa, like the wives of Carlos II and Felipe V and the daughters of Carlos III, Carlos IV, Fernando III and Fernando VII.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Sorry for asking again, but is Liana (Lianna) a common name in Spain? Personally I like it quite a lot and I think Princess Liana sounds nice.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-29-2006, 09:34 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Sorry for asking again, but is Liana (Lianna) a common name in Spain? Personally I like it quite a lot and I think Princess Liana sounds nice.
No really... that's a name with no tradition, nor historical relevance in Spain... it's a bit tacky actually; it sounds as taken from a foreign soap opera..
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa M.
No really... that's a name with no tradition, nor historical relevance in Spain... it's a bit tacky actually; it sounds as taken from a foreign soap opera..
Thanks for the answer, Elsa!
No chances then.. Well, I guess I need to search another name on "L".
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Lucía maybe..
Old 11-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Royal Highness

I would absolutely love Elvira (it has been given at the 19th century in the spanish RF). As historical name, I would suggest Jimena/Ximena
Old 11-29-2006, 02:59 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I like Lucia. Lucia de Borbón y Ortiz
Old 11-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

In one way it is harder to choose name for the second child, as you kind of want a name that goes with the previous child. Leonor is a name that is fairly compatible with many names.

Beatriz is a pretty name. I also like Lucia, Susana, Teresa, Inez, and a multitude of other names. I think Spanish names for females are so pretty, it's hard to pick one
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Because of the name they choose for their first daughter, Leonor, is a historical name, a name from the Spanish Royal Family, I expect Felipe and Letizia to choose another such historically significant name for their second daughter. I made up a list of names of women from the Spanish royal family (only on the paternal line, following the crown, thus excluding the Greek royal family, etc)

Names that have appeared more than one time (with the number of times in parenthesis afterwards) (this was from an English-speaking hereditary tree, so the names are spelled in the English variation. I don't remember off the top of my head which ones were not of English basis to begin with (such as Mary, sister of Q Elizabeth I) so I haven't changed it)(*edit- I put the Spanish equivilants at the end of the list)

Anna (3)
Antoinette (2)
Catherine (3)
Isabella (11)
Isabelle (3)
Joan (2) (Joan? that seems odd to me..)
Josepha (2)
Margaret (7)
Maria (12)* (this only includes women who were simply named Maria. Fifteen other women were named Maria _something_)
Maria Christina (2)
Maria Anna (2)
Maria Theresa (4) (the name of the current Grand Duchess of Luxembourg!)
Marianne (4)
Marie (2) (these were specifically Marie, not Maria, as they were born French. All Marie's were specifically Marie. Otherwise, I list them as Marias)
Marie Christine (2)
Marie Louise (6)

Other names include Beatrice, Charlotte, Eleonor (hence, Infanta Leonor, the new baby's big sister), Eulalia, Louise, Louise Isabelle, Louise Charlotte, Mary, Mercedes (as in Maria de Mercedes, the king's mother), Theresa, and of course, Sofia, Elena, Cristina, Victorica, Federica, Letizia, and Leonor. This is not an absolute, nor perfect, but it is pretty complete, I think.

*Here are the Spanish Equivilants to all the names I've listed here.
English-- Spanish (pronounciation)
Anna--Ana {ahh-nuh}
Antoinette-- Antonieta {an (like ant)-toe-nee-et (like in get)-uh}
Catherine-- Catalina {Cah-tah-lee-nuh}
Isabella--Isabella {ee-suh-bay-ya} (double l is prounounced like a y)
Isabella--Isabela {ee-suh-bay-luh}
Isabelle--Isabel {ee-suh-bell}
Joan-- I have absolutely no idea. There is a Catalan name Joan, but that is usually a male name. There is also a Catalan and Portugese name, Joana, but I've never met anyone named that. It would be pronounced yo-aah-nuh
Josepha--Josepha {ho-say-fah}
Margaret--Margarita (like the drink) {mar-gah-ree-tah}
Maria--Maria {mah-ree-ah}
Marianne--Mariana {mah-ree-ah-nah}
Marie--Maria
Mary--Maria
Louise- Luisa {Lou-ee-sah}
Beatrice--Beatrix {Bay-ah-trees}
Beatrice--Beatrice {Bay-ah-tree-say}
Charlotte-- Carlotta {car-lot-ah}
Eleonor--Eleonor {A-lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door)}, Leonor {Lay-o-nor (nor rhymes with door)}
Eulalia--Eulalia {you-lay-lee-ah} (also a name of a 4th century saint from Spain, who is the patron saint of Barcelona)
Mercedes--Mercedes {mare-say-days} (it's really a rather common Spanish name)
Theresa--Theresa, Teresa {tay-ray-sah}

Old 11-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

The names I think are reasonably certain they won't choose will be Letizia, Leonor, or Eleonor, Felipa, or anything very like them or derivative of them. I also don't think they will choose Sofia- I just don't. They may use it as a middle name, and that would be lovely. Neither will they choose one of his sister's names for a first name, although out of the two, they would be more likely to choose Cristina.

They will probably choose a first name from among the list I posted of historical names. My choices for a first name as most those likely are Ana, Maria, and Isabela or Isabella. My personal likings are Antonietta, Isabella, and Mercedes. They may also choose Juana, in honor of the king. Mercedes, although I took it from the name of KJC's mother, Maria de Mercedes, it is a known girl's name, and I think it would be a modern and lovely sentimental. It would fit with F&L's style, I think.

I also love Eulalia. I'm not sure why- it's weird, and uncommon, and just different. It means to talk with beauty, and it seems to just roll off the tongue.

Federica could also happen, although doubtful.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM
Commoner

COVADONGA
Old 11-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan
Isabella Maria Beatriz Letizia
The new Infanta probably will have only one name like her sister...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

You have done a great work LadyK, thanks for all these names. May a make some correcctions as regards the spelling?
Carlota_ Beatriz_ Juana (Joan)_ Josefa_ Eleonora
As for Isabella/e, i don´t know if they are very used in Spain, they are of Italian and French origin. Spanish people would use Isabel.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

To see a list of the Spanish Infantas and Queens, with the right spelling, see these links:
http://genealogia.netopia.pt/titulos...ow.php?id=4527
http://genealogia.netopia.pt/titulos...ow.php?id=2812
Old 11-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

thanks guys! I've knew most of the translations, and know many people with those names myself, but some of them, I just had to guess.
Rosana, I'm glad you picked up on Juana for Joan- I'd never have guessed it!
I do know more than on Isabel and Isabela, and even a couple of Isabellas, from my travels in Spain, so I do believe they are names used there. However, they never use Isabella for {ee-sa-bell-a}. A lot of the names depend on where in Spain you are from. Most of the people I'm familiar with are from Andalusia. If you are from the northern part of Spain near the Pyrenees or in the area around Barcelona, you hear a very different language indeed.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 PM
Gentry

Personaly I love the name Isabella so I hope that it is included in her name, or even mercedes after Felipes grandmother