Letizia's Weight

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Balqis

Nobility
Letizia - Weight Issue

For some reason this following recent photo of Letizia has made me a bit concerned for her. She looks very anorexic here. What do other people think? I do not want to add to the rumour mill, but she looks frighteningly thin. Is she taking things a bit far? This is a photo mind you and you are supposed to look chubbier in photos than in real life. If I were her friend or close family member I would be very concerned.

Attachments

• 51152566.jpg
    51152566.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,872
I think the angle on this picture is quite bad and Letizia's arms look 'extra' thin because of the perspective of the camera, but I don't think she is anorexic. I think she is someone who is quite naturally thin and slender. Both her sisters seem to have a similar body shape in that they are long and lean. That is not to say that I don't think she could stand to gain a couple of pounds, but I most certainly don't think she is anorexic.

A very close friend is a "recovering" anorexic and for the nearly 10 years that her anorexia was at its 'peak' a dramatic weight loss or lack of weight gain is not the only physical characteristic of anorexia. Other physical traits include sallowness to the skin, even green-coloured skin, a rougher texture to your hair, brittle nails, easily broken bones, lack of energy or severe drop in energy, protuding cheekbones, hip bones, etc. Which is not to mention the numerous personality traits that affect an individual living and coping with anorexia.

Of course factoring in that likely many of these photos have been air brushed and worked on, we cannot judge many of these characteristics (sallow, green skin, bad texture to the hair, brittle fingernails, etc.), but Letizia is clearly lacking in some of the other visible qualities such as a lack of energy -- consider how extensively she has travelled in the pasts few months. Someone with anorexia could not possibly maintain that sort of schedule or stamina without passing out or having some sort of episodes. And I think that if Letizia had fainted during her recent trip to the Dominican, in Athens or during one of the regattas with her in-laws we would've undoubtedly heard about it.

I think that the likely situation is that Letizia is naturally thin but usually has some more pounds on her frame, but with the constant travelling and activity the past 5-6 months, from her wedding to the travelling and royal duties after it, Letizia likely did not get a chance to eat regularly or ate on the run and the constant motion of course makes it hard to maintain weight.

There are varying degrees to eating disorders, Alexandria. The characteristics you described above are the extreme.

It's not unheard of for princesses to have eating disorders. Look at Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Diana. In the case of Princess Diana, when her eating disorder was at its extreme in late 1982, she looked exactly how Letizia does now. People were mentioning anorexia as the possible cause. It was described as totally ridiculous for Diana to have it by palace officials (your explanation to my post actually mirrors what I would expect a royal rep to say just to hush it up) and lo and behold exactly 10 years later it comes out that Diana suffered from bulimia from the time of the engagement.

Looking at pictures of Letizia, particularly the one I uploaded I think there is legitimate cause for concern. Yes she is naturally thin and slender. She looked it at the time when her own engagement was announced. But her latest pictures show she has lost weight that is beyond natural. Eating on the run and too many activities is not exactly the best explanation. But that's just my opinion.

Balqis said:
It's not unheard of for princesses to have eating disorders. Look at Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Diana. In the case of Princess Diana, when her eating disorder was at its extreme in late 1982, she looked exactly how Letizia does now. People were mentioning anorexia as the possible cause. It was described as totally ridiculous for Diana to have it by palace officials (your explanation to my post actually mirrors what I would expect a royal rep to say just to hush it up) and lo and behold exactly 10 years later it comes out that Diana suffered from bulimia from the time of the engagement.

Looking at pictures of Letizia, particularly the one I uploaded I think there is legitimate cause for concern. Yes she is naturally thin and slender. She looked it at the time when her own engagement was announced. But her latest pictures show she has lost weight that is beyond natural. Eating on the run and too many activities is not exactly the best explanation. But that's just my opinion.

Nobody here is denying that Crown Princesses and Princesses don't have eating disorders and Victoria of Sweden and Diana of Great Britain are unfortunately two recent examples of royals who have suffered such illnesses.

But there are a lot of other factors that might explain why Letizia is not anorexic, and as you say in your original post, it is just your opinon that she may be anorexic.

I have seen lots of pictures where Letizia does not look ill or anorexic at all. She didn't look anorexic at the games in Athens nor did she look like she was starving herself or purging all her meals during the visit to Rome.

One bad picture does an anorexic or bulemic make ...

Genevieve said:
... there are a lot of other factors that might explain why Letizia is not anorexic,

I agree that the weight loss could be due to other possible reasons. But discussing an eating disorder as one possible reason is quite legitimate, I think. My point with mentioning Victoria and Diana was to show that it can happen, it can be hushed up (as in the case of Diana) AND that a sufferer of an eating disorder doesn't necessarily have to show the extreme physical characteristics as Alexandria pointed out with the case of her friend. As I said there are varying degrees of the disease.

Genevieve said:
and as you say in your original post, it is just your opinon that she may be anorexic.

I said she looks very anorexic, meaning she looks very unhealthy to me.

Genevieve said:
I have seen lots of pictures where Letizia does not look ill or anorexic at all. She didn't look anorexic at the games in Athens nor did she look like she was starving herself or purging all her meals during the visit to Rome.
One bad picture does an anorexic or bulemic make ...

Well, Genevieve if I went through more pics of Letizia I think I would find others where her weight loss looks alarming. The pic I posted above was in my eyes the extreme of them all.

At the end of the day, I can't prove that she is suffering from an eating disorder nor can you prove that she doesn't. My original post was to relate my concern that she looks frighteningly thin and could possibly suffer from an eating disorder. I still stand by that. Eating disorders are incredibly prevalent these days and I am not picking on Letizia when I say she may have it. I am only expressing concern.

Last edited:
Diana and Victoria of Sweden were 'chubby' in their teens, their bulimia and anorexia were so obvious because of that drastic weight change. In Letizia's case, I have never seen a picture of her as "chubby" or fat even as a child or in her teens, so I'll say that she is just naturally thin and because of her travelling now, she became even thinner or hasn't put on additional weight. On the other hand, I could say that Mary Donaldson is obviously dieting because she is also "chubby" as a tennager and pre-dating Fred, and look how slim she is now.

I'm pretty sure that not only chubby people can get anorectic.

And yes, Mary has lost weight as well, she has probably lost more weight than Letizia. But I don't think that she has those sick (I mean this as a medical term, not that they're ugly) arms that Letizia does.

Just look at her mother, her sister, they are all very thin, she may have just inherited this kind of skiny genes, plus the stress being a new CP. Let's not try to blow the thing out proportion.

I agree with you. I'm just saying she can look a bit sick in some photos.

I really didn't want this to be Letizia versus Mary discussion, but if others have made comparisons I don't see why not. I agree that Mary has lost weight, but she actually looks great - very healthy and happy. I have no concerns for this lady. She has really astounded me how she has been able to cope. She seems to have a lot of inner strength and takes a lot of things in her stride. She seems to be a very level-headed, caring and fun person. To go to a foreign country, learn a new language and to cope under the microscope like that is very commendable. I haven't seen or read an interview with Letizia and actually I am very suprised that the royal couple didn't give an interview before the wedding. I feel Letizia started with a lot of good points in her corner. She came on the scene suddenly but made a big impact. She seemed very much in charge, very professional etc. Lately I see a lady who's looking incredibly tired, unhealthy in how much weight she has lost and not doing as much as I hoped she would. Yes, it is still early to tell and sorry if my viewpoint does not match the viewpoints of the members here. Mary has done a solo engagement and another one has been announced imminently. She has gone on an extended tour to Greenland, toured parts of Denamrk etc. Also she has given an interview that has endeared her to many many people. Again I find it suprising that Letizia, given her journalistic background (the fact she's Spanish and speaks the language) has not been able to speak out to get herself across. Would too many questions about the speed of the romance with Felipe be uncomfortable? I am just thinking out loud here, I just don't know. Sorry about the long rant too.

Again I am just expressing my own opinion and concern. The feeling I get is that there is something wrong. The huge weight loss is a big indicator in my eyes.

Last edited:
There could be another explanation as well. (Let me make it clear that just because I'm saying this happened to me DOES NOT automatically mean it's happening to CP Letizia - this is just my theory. I have no factual basis to say this IS in fact what's going on w/ her.)

For a good part of my life I had a lot of issues to cope with - physical, emotional, etc., and I wasn't really in a family situation where I could deal with them appropriately. The main result was that my metabolism was so high that no matter how much I ate, I could not gain weight. (I am 5'7" and at my lightest weighed 105 pounds.) People would constantly ask me if I was anorexic, but as I spent most of my spare time at home both of my parents knew for a fact that answer was no. In the last few years, I've gotten a lot off my mind/body, accepted a lot of things I used to stress out over, and my metabolism as a result slowed down dramatically. Now I'm a more normal-looking weight.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Beth

First I just have to say that I really dislike this comparison thing, but I will say this: Letizia has not given an interview because the Spanish Royals as a rule do not give interviews. Period. The Danes have a different style--a lot of what Mary told in her interview would have been considered perhaps too much information to share in Spain. Different countries, different styles.

She has not done "solos" because the Royal House is following the same pattern they did with Sofia when she first married and came to Spain--no "solos" for I think it was one year. Different countries, different styles.

That said, to say that Letizia has not done as well as Mary because Mary has gone to a horse show by herself is silly beyond words. Mary is doing well and so is Letizia. Letizia has hosted with her husband receptions in 3 countries so far, in which attendance included everything from politicians to world renowned writers like Garcia Marquez, she has met with/dined with officially 6 heads of state and 2 outgoing heads of state and countless others at the inaugurations, she has represented her country at a state funeral, as well as a slew of other activities. Excuse me if I find that as impressive as going to a horeshow and a fashionshow.

Comparisons are bad because it all depends on the facts you select. Mary and Letizia are both doing well--who you prefer is a matter of what you prefer. To date, both countries seem pleased.

Last edited:
lucys said:
Comparisons are bad because it all depends on the facts you select.

Precisely, and you have done exactly that ie. selected examples that prove only your point about Letizia. All that you have described her as doing is wonderful, but it has been her husband or the whole family that has been there by her side bearing the brunt of what needs to done. Mary's horse show and fashion show solo engagements are first steps. They may not sound like the most stretching of engagements but at least she is out there. She has done similar things to Letizia with her husband or family around. But that's really irrelevant. This thread is about weight issues.

lucys said:
Mary and Letizia are both doing well--who you prefer is a matter of what you prefer. To date, both countries seem pleased

On the contrary, not every Spanish citizen or message board out there thinks that Letizia is doing so well. And in Letizia's case this is due to the fact that there are still lingering questions about her. Some have been very alarmed at how quick Letizia's and Felipe's courtship was for example. A simple interview before the wedding would have dispelled a lot of rumours and given Letizia a much more of a fresh start. And please the SRF do give interviews, maybe not all the time but they do during important occassions. For example Felipe has given interviews at his milestone birthdays. I still don't see why the royal couple didn't give one prior to their wedding.

Balqis--I don't come to this message board to have long circular arguments, nor do I use message boards to judge what is happening in any given country. You have your opinion and I have mine--they differ. End of story. Have a pleasant evening (or whatever time of day it is in your part of the world.)

P.S. I'm Spanish, so I'm not just guessing on this one.

Last edited:
Cissan said:
I'm pretty sure that not only chubby people can get anorectic.

And yes, Mary has lost weight as well, she has probably lost more weight than Letizia. But I don't think that she has those sick (I mean this as a medical term, not that they're ugly) arms that Letizia does.

I don't think anyone is implying that only chubby girls can become anorexic. But as I understand the original comment, signs of anorexia are merely more evident when you weigh a bit more and suddenly look very thin and bony. In Victoria and Diana's case, while I would never by a long shot say that either was overweight, they both still carried some baby fat on them, particularly in their faces, so that when they suffered their respective eating disorders it was all the more evident and prominent. Looking back at pictures of Victoria she always had a rounder, chubbier face and thicker upper arms, and when she was battling her anorexia she was all skin and bones and sunken eyes and shallow cheeks.

But with Letizia she has always been quite thin, so it is not as clear if she has merely lost a few pounds because of the non-stop action of late or if she is seriously sick (which I don't believe).

And as bethan16 says, some people just find it difficult to put on and maintain weight, period. I had a friend who daily would eat 6 sandwiches in one sitting followed by pop and ice cream and cookies and she would constantly be told by her doctors that she was underweight. No matter how much she ate and how many calories the food she was consuming contained and no matter how inactive she was, even sitting on the couch munching on bags of potatoe chips her body would be burning away those calories.

Balqis said:
Precisely, and you have done exactly that ie. selected examples that prove only your point about Letizia. All that you have described her as doing is wonderful, but it has been her husband or the whole family that has been there by her side bearing the brunt of what needs to done. Mary's horse show and fashion show solo engagements are first steps. They may not sound like the most stretching of engagements but at least she is out there. She has done similar things to Letizia with her husband or family around. But that's really irrelevant. This thread is about weight issues.

On the contrary, not every Spanish citizen or message board out there thinks that Letizia is doing so well. And in Letizia's case this is due to the fact that there are still lingering questions about her. Some have been very alarmed at how quick Letizia's and Felipe's courtship was for example. A simple interview before the wedding would have dispelled a lot of rumours and given Letizia a much more of a fresh start. And please the SRF do give interviews, maybe not all the time but they do during important occassions. For example Felipe has given interviews at his milestone birthdays. I still don't see why the royal couple didn't give one prior to their wedding.

I don't understand why people can't accept and understand and grasp that some royal families do things differently and that what is good in Denmark isn't necessarily good or workable in Spain, just as what works in Spain doesn't work for Belgium.

Most royal families rarely if ever conduct interviews. When do we ever hear Queen Elizabeth sitting down with the BBC? Never. So just because Margrethe gives interviews in Denmark doesn't mean that Elizabeth is required to, or that Juan Carlos and Carl Gustav are required to, too.

I actually have a tremendous amount of respect for the fact that Felipe and Letizia didn't sit down and gab away about their courtship and other personal things. If neither of them are questioning the length of their courtship who is the press and everyone else to do so? Is there a standard amount of time that people, royals or not, must be together before they are allowed to become engaged and ultimately married? Is 2 years enough? 3 years? Maybe 5 years? Or be forced to wait 9 years like the Norwegian King and Queen? And what lingering issues would Letizia have to dispel in an interview? If its about her divorce, that's no body's business.

I think her wedding day was a pretty fresh start. An interview prior to her wedding day could not have given her more of a fresh start. And who is saying she or Felipe wanted a fresh start? A fresh start from what?

Everybody in Spain may not like Letizia, and that is par for the course. Everybody in Spain probably also does not like Juan Carlos, Sofia, Felipe, etc. Just as everybody in Denmark does not like Mary or Frederik or Joachim or Alexandra. No public figure has ever had 100% approval ratings and support, so why should Letizia be held to different expectations? Why should every single man, woman, child, cat, dog and hamster be madly in love with Letizia? And just as people don't like her doesn't mean that she isn't doing a good job. Its possible to not like somebody but approve of the decisions/choices they make, their hard work, dedication or commitment to an idea or project, etc. Just like you can like a particular royal or consider one of them your favourite but not always like what he or she wears, does or says. I like Queen Sofia but don't always care for some of the clothes she wears or things I hear about her, but that doesn't mean I like her any less on the whole. I just don't like one particular aspect about her.

I think she is just naturally slim.

Honestly, we are not equipped to make a diagnosis, let's try to stay away from labeling her as anorexic. Anorexia is a disease and we shouldn't use that term to "critique" someone.

ennyllorac said:
I think she is just naturally slim.

Honestly, we are not equipped to make a diagnosis, let's try to stay away from labeling her as anorexic. Anorexia is a disease and we shouldn't use that term to "critique" someone.
I agree with you ennyllorac. Medical experts base their diagnosis on concrete evidence not cursory observations. And, relying on my own medical backgound, I wouldn't dare suggest such a diagnosis by merely looking at pictures.

Thank you ennyllorac and Mandy for some sanity in this thread. I just don't understand why some people seem hell bent on accusing Letizia of having such a horrible disease and looking so hard into things its as if they wish it upon her.

Genevieve said:
Thank you ennyllorac and Mandy for some sanity in this thread. I just don't understand why some people seem hell bent on accusing Letizia of having such a horrible disease and looking so hard into things its as if they wish it upon her.
That's way below the belt, Genevieve. Most of us are expressing genuine concern. But if that's the way you want to see it, that's fine.

I dont think there's any concrete reason to be "concerned"
It is true Letizia has lost weight, especially when you compare her figure now to that she had before the wedding, not that she was chubby then. I think that she simply lost the weight as a result of her marriage to Felipe. Just like Mary of Denmark lost a lot of weight just before she married Frederik. Letizia's also got naturally long/lean limbs.
Its natural for both her and Mary to feel more conscious of their image now that they're crown princesses and receive so much media attention. Besides, dont most women out there worry about their weight/appearance right before they get married?

Good points, Humera. Also, Letizia and Felipe have had a very busy schedule these past few months and as well as before the wedding. I wouldn't doubt if her increase in activity and travel have also had to do with weight loss. Letizia is a very petite women in both weight and stature. You can also see that it runs in her family from simply viewing her mother and sisters. It is understandable that the weight loss of a person who is already petite will be more visible than for someone who is not. I wouldn't be too quick to say that she has an eating disorder at this point.

IMO there are basically two types of people regarding weight. (1) People that are naturally skinny without trying, and (2) those who gain wieght easily and that will always have to watch what they eat. Personally, I am the second type. And when I see girls that are extremely thin and anorexic looking it upsets me. Not b/c I am jealous, but b/c its unhealthy and in some cases deadly. If someone is naturally very skinny, but they eat a healthy amount of food, then good for them! However, when people who previously were a healthy weight become are extremely thin that is not only not natural, but it is unhealthy. CP Mary did lose wieght before her wedding, but IMO she looks happy and healthy. And I think anyone in her situtation would have done the same. CP Lecitiza however, has lost way too much weight. If you look at pictures of her working as new achor, she was still slim but she looked healthy. IMO, she was ten times more beautiful, not to mention a more realistic-looking role model before she lost so much weight.

In all honesty, I don't think Letizia has lost a significant amount of weight. She has always been slim.

Here's my two cents on the issue:

As others have pointed out, some people are just naturally thin. I myself, am a naturally thin person. I am 5'6'', and have never weighed more than 105-110 pounds in my life. As a child, I was one of those gawky, gangly kids, with the knobby knees. My mom used to worry that people thought she didn't feed me because I was so skinny! That being said, when I find myself in a very stressful situation, I lose weight, instead of gaining it. My first year of college, I went to a school about 6 hours away and lived in a dorm. I spend a whole year eating nothing but pizza, hamburgers, tacos, and potato chips. Sometimes, I would eat cereal for dinner. At the end of the year, I had actually lost five pounds from all of the stresses of the year.

None of us can speak of Letizia, because none of us know, but it very well could be that in the run up to her wedding, her weight loss can just be attributed to stress. Also, in the past few months, her schedule has changed dramatically, and I'm sure that there are even more stresses in her life that were not there just a year ago.

Some people simply cannot gain weight, no matter how hard they try. It's just something to do with metabolism. I don't even think it is hereditary. I am the third of five children, and we are all at different weights with different metabolisms. For all we know, Letizia may have a very healthy appeitite. I personally don't think that she looks unhealthy at all. I think that she would look a bit better if she filled out a bit and put on five pounds. But, she is who she is and can't help what her weight is. Some people have a very hard time loosing five pounds, and I can tell you that others have a very hard time gaining five pounds.

OMG she's so pretty, I am not saying that she's isn't pretty at present but I think she would look very good if she put on a little weight, she'll get the right curves and will look exceptionally pretty.

If you lose weight, people say you suffer from an eating disorder, if you gain weight they say you're pregnant....It's a hard life for a crown princess, isn't it? IMO it's very important to be very careful with those speculations.

I agree with the people who say that Letizia is naturally thin. Just because she's lost a bit of weight lately, should not immediately put her at the same level as anorexic people. Some of the photos taken of her have simply emphasized her slim figure, that does not mean that she's anorexic, or I don't feel should be a concern to the public. I'm sure as soon as Felipe and Letizia both have some R&R, she will gain the weight she has lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom