Letizia Ortiz and Alonso Guerrero's Marriage

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julia

Royal Highness
Was Laticia's marriage annulled or was she actually divorced? I am Catholic and trying to figure out how the church would approve her union w/ Felipe...

Having said that I must say that I think Leticia looks like a very capable and charming person. Queen Rania...look out! ;)

Well its really very simple from the Roman Catholic Church's point of view. Letizia's first marriage was only a civil one. To the RC church, such a marriage is but a mere legal agreement between two adults wanting to live together. In my small country, a civil marriage is looked upon by the Church as "living in sin".

This time round, Letizia is marrying Felipe in Church, therefore it is her first marriage in the eyes of the church, as if she' s never been married before. have i explained myself well or have i muddled you further?? :eek:

Originally posted by vdebono@Nov 4th, 2003 - 8:41 am

This time round, Letizia is marrying Felipe in Church, therefore it is her first marriage in the eyes of the church, as if she' s never been married before. have i explained myself well or have i muddled you further?? :eek:
Thank you for the explaination. :) As a Catholic I am ashamed I didn't know this myself! :eek:

www.ibl.se - Letizia Ortiz and her first husband Alonso.

www.ibl.se - Letizia Ortiz and her first husband Alonso.

Imagine Scandinavia - Madrid, Spain. - The statue of Letizia Ortiz will be at wax´s museum of Madrid The wax´s museum of Madrid has already finalized the statue in clay of Letizia Ortiz, engaged with the Crown Prince of Spain. This is the prior step to carry out the sculpture in wax, that will be situated next to the reproductions of the Spanish Royal Family at the Museum.

Attachments

• gum.jpg
    gum.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 10,693
  • ex_husband.jpg
    ex_husband.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14,222
  • wax_statue.jpg
    wax_statue.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 824
  • wax_statue_a.jpg
    wax_statue_a.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 773
Last edited by a moderator:
Letizia Ortiz and her first husband Alonso

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 15,854
Has any spanish member on this board read the book "el durmiente" (published in 1998) or other books of her ex-husband?! A tabloid claims, that one of his books (I don´t know, if it´s "el durmiente" or another one, I can´t find an english book review on his books) is about an author, who is cheated of his wife. And wasn´t 1998 the year of the divorce???

My cousin from Spain told me that Letizia ex-husband wrote a book about a guy that cheated his wife :blink: I will ask him if he read it ;)

And 1998 was the year of the marriage ;) They married in August 7, 1998 and then divorced in 1999 (the exact date isn't known :p )

When the guy has cheated on the girl, then that is an complete other situation (Letizia would be the victim)...I mean if this book would include autobiographical parts...otherwise the future Queen of Spain would have cheated on her (former) husband! I know just speculations...but I hope that we won´t find out, that it´s true!

It was on Spanish TV - sorry don't know what Channel. Can anyone fill us in?

The interview was in Antena3. I made you a resume from the interview ;) He made the interview for free. The host revealed that he annd Letizia married in Oct 8th of 1998 (after 6 years of relation). Alfonso Guerrero said that he isn't for sail, that he doesn't gave the photos or videos from his wedding with Letizia because are personal things (he also said that no one ask him to keep all safe) and that he knows that his true friends will not give them to the press. That he wishes to Letizia and Felipe all the happiness of the world. That he expects that people stop see him as the ex of Letizia and start to see him as a writer.

A questionary was made to him about several aspects (i only will post the most important ones):

"What do you thing about...?"

Monarchy - "An instituition in touch with spaniards decisions and also in touch with gossip mags"

Leticia or Letizia - "With Z of course"

Prince Felipe - "A person that inspires me friendship and respect"

Marriage - "Support"

Divorce - "A thing that is made by both parts"

(thanks to Alejandra of Opiniones forum)

I'm glad to see that Letizia's ex is so discrete. Usually, an ex can cause a lot of trouble. Snr. Guerrero seems like an honorable man.

"A Madrid court has been given a 600 kilogram steel safe to ensure the
divorce papers of Spain's would-be Queen don't fall into the wrong
hands.

The El Mundo newspaper says the Justice Department of the Madrid
regional government has purchased the safe for £1,300 after a judge
in Arganda del Rey complained there was no secure place to store the
divorce papers of Letizia Ortiz.

She is the fiancee of crown heir Prince Felipe.

Ortiz, a former anchorwoman for Spanish national television, was
married to schoolteacher and author Alonso Guerrero in 1998. A year
later, the couple got divorced and the papers detailing the
separation were filed in a court in Arganda del Rey.

The judge feared the papers might be stolen or details of the
separation leaked to the media, possibly embarrassing Ortiz and the
royal family, reports El Mundo.

Ortiz and the prince are due to be married on May 22.

Polls conducted when they announced their engagement in November
suggest most Spaniards are thrilled with the prince's choice of bride."

from ananova.com

Safe stores divorce papers of future royal
January 10,2004

A Madrid court has been given a 600 kilogram steel safe to ensure the divorce papers of Spain's would-be Queen don't fall into the wrong hands.

The El Mundo newspaper says the Justice Department of the Madrid regional government has purchased the safe for £1,300 after a judge in Arganda del Rey complained there was no secure place to store the divorce papers of Letizia Ortiz.

She is the fiancee of crown heir Prince Felipe.

Ortiz, a former anchorwoman for Spanish national television, was married to schoolteacher and author Alonso Guerrero in 1998. A year later, the couple got divorced and the papers detailing the separation were filed in a court in Arganda del Rey.

The judge feared the papers might be stolen or details of the separation leaked to the media, possibly embarrassing Ortiz and the royal family, reports El Mundo.

Ortiz and the prince are due to be married on May 22.

Polls conducted when they announced their engagement in November suggest most Spaniards are thrilled with the prince's choice of bride.

How come this doesn't seem to be a problem at all in Spain? It's such a Catholic country, and she's marrying a royal. Is Ortiz her ex-husband's name?

I wouldn't say that it is not a problem. There are definitely individuals who have a problem with it.

The reason that it hasn't created the extremely huge scandal that most us would have expected is because the RF really seems to have embraced her at least for now. Also, Leitizia was never married in a religious ceremony, but a civil one. Therefore, although she was legally married, where the Catholic church is concerned she never took the sacrament of marriage as a Catholic herself. In these cases it is almost as never having been married, that is where Catholicism is concerned. Legally, however, Letizia was married once before.

Ortiz is the surname of her father, Rocasolano that of her mother. Her surname is a combination of those of both of her parents.

Her former husband is Alonso Guerrero.

Letizia Ortiz and Alonso Guerrero's marriage

Letizia and Alonso Guerrero married on 7 August 1998 at Almendalejo in Badajoz after 10 year courtship.

City Hall of Almendralejo where they took place the civil wedding ceremony.

http://s3.supload.com/free/1-20080806123241.jpg/view/
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Manuel Jesus was the former mayor of Almendralejo.

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Letizia and Alonso's wedding banquet took place at Hotel Espronceda.

http://s3.supload.com/free/5_HOTEL_ESPRONCEDA.JPG/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/01A3BE.jpg/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/01A3C0.jpg/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/01A3BF-20080806130807.jpg/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/6_CALAVNHB.JPG/view/
http://s3.supload.com/free/7_HOTEL_ESPRONCEDA.JPG/view/

Fernando Campomanes was responsible for the restaurant El Paraíso.

http://s3.supload.com/free/4_FERNANDO_CAMPOMANES-20080806125208.jpg/view/

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you post: Please read this.

Please remember:
We especially like to point out rules that have been neglected by a few posters and hope this won't happen in this thread after we decided to re-open it:

1) Insults
Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.

Some posters think they need to defend or attack Princess Letizia as if their lives depended on it and due to this they have been insulting other members. In this we would like to remind you that the rule also applies to the private messages that are sent, so they have to be respectful too.

Apart from insulting and disrespectful comments towards other posters there also have been posted several insulting comments about the Prince and Princess of Asturias. Note that this is unacceptable and that these posts will be deleted.

We hope that with the introduction of this policy this thread will be a more friendly corner to post/visit so that the vast majority of our posters, who are equally bothered by this as we are, will be able to post their messages, write their opinions etc. in a positive atmosphere.

Happy Posting!

Does any one know how letitzia feels about her former marriage.

did she ever say anything about the marriage.

Does any one know how letitzia feels about her former marriage.

did she ever say anything about the marriage.
I cannot see how it is relevant to her life, especially since no children were involved to "keep them in touch". It would have the same meaning as remembering a first kiss, first intimate act, etc. Has no true significance to the person now. I doubt Letizia even thinks about him, why in the world should she?

They have dealt with it in the most graceful manner possible (neither of them or anyone else speaking about it) however at least for me it leaves a bad aftertaste not for the woman Letizia Ortiz in a society where divorce happens quite often but for Dona Letizia The Princess of Asturias, a future Queen, meaning the moment when she became connected to royalty. It does harm the credibility of any monarchy when royals are no different to common people and their everyday problems or failures. In this context for me it's a huge difference between only living with Alonso for 10 years and then split rather than giving a committment by getting married, the same committment by the way that she gave Felipe only 5 years later, a fact open to interpretation for everyone. I think it would have been much better for her reputation if she had not been married before and somehow it never really fitted into her CV / lifestyle from what we have seen pre-marriage (career woman etc). She must have had a weak or lunatic moment when deciding to tie the knot with Alonso, maybe it had to do with the imminent breakdown of her parents' marriage.

having a first marriage behind me, i wouldn't begin to hold hers against letizia (everyone makes mistakes and has a right to privacy on painful parts of their pasts, as long as they haven't lied or pretended something not the truth) I know nothing about Mr Guerrero but i have great respect for him not speaking or making money off the princess (i'm sure it's been offered) he is showing dignity and class IMO.

Are there any pictures of Letizia on her first wedding day as it would be interesting to see

having a first marriage behind me, i wouldn't begin to hold hers against letizia (everyone makes mistakes and has a right to privacy on painful parts of their pasts, as long as they haven't lied or pretended something not the truth) I know nothing about Mr Guerrero but i have great respect for him not speaking or making money off the princess (i'm sure it's been offered) he is showing dignity and class IMO.
You are so right. My first marriage holds nothing to my life now. Besides, how do we know the reason for the divorce -- could have been his fault and Letizia protected him. For some reason, everyone points the finger at her but you have no proof and it really is no one's business except for the two of them and their new spouses. For us to know the reason will not change history.

There are marriages and there are marriages. No children, no religious ceremony, short-lived duration--who cares? What makes a marriage important are the ties that bind, time, children, religion; none of that was present in this case.

There are marriages and there are marriages. No children, no religious ceremony, short-lived duration--who cares? What makes a marriage important are the ties that bind, time, children, religion; none of that was present in this case.
Excellent opinion and very well stated. Makes one wonder why no one seems to care about other Royals' prior marriages or the reason for the breakup -- especially ones producing children? Oh well, I sincerely hope that Felipe and Letizia's marriage remains strong and steady for all their lives -- actually want the same thing for all the young Royals.

They have dealt with it in the most graceful manner possible (neither of them or anyone else speaking about it) however at least for me it leaves a bad aftertaste not for the woman Letizia Ortiz in a society where divorce happens quite often but for Dona Letizia The Princess of Asturias, a future Queen, meaning the moment when she became connected to royalty. It does harm the credibility of any monarchy when royals are no different to common people and their everyday problems or failures. In this context for me it's a huge difference between only living with Alonso for 10 years and then split rather than giving a committment by getting married, the same committment by the way that she gave Felipe only 5 years later, a fact open to interpretation for everyone. I think it would have been much better for her reputation if she had not been married before and somehow it never really fitted into her CV / lifestyle from what we have seen pre-marriage (career woman etc). She must have had a weak or lunatic moment when deciding to tie the knot with Alonso, maybe it had to do with the imminent breakdown of her parents' marriage.
She did it, it is over and done with and they have both gone on with their lives. So what is the issue?

What struck me at the time I first heard about the marriage was that he was her TEACHER when see was a teen and started courting her when she was his student! I think that's a bit sick, to be honest.

What struck me at the time I first heard about the marriage was that he was her TEACHER when see was a teen and started courting her when she was his student! I think that's a bit sick, to be honest.

From the TVE documentary, they knew each other at the high school (last year if I remember correctly). He was not her teacher, only a teacher at her school. There was no time table when they started dating (maybe only they knew it themselves), thus there was no proof that he was courting his student (Letizia).

In relation to what HMT LOVE 23 says, I have read that the marriage with Alonso Guerrero failed because she did not want to have children yet.The importance she gave to her work was excessive to have children.

Back
Top Bottom