The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Courtier

Unhappy

Infanta Leonor and King J.C.visit to Infanta Sofia TOMORROW.
lo han dicho en Telecinco, que hoy no hay mas visitas, pq Letizia necesita descansar.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
I really don't know why I receive some very harsh answers!I was just saying that in Portugal the last name is always from the father and I just wanted to ask why the last name is Ortiz???I know the customs are not the same, but really I don't know the customs/History/traditions of Spain! Gohsssss you are so......

Dear biboquinhas, I apologize if you had found my words too rud. It's my face old grumpy teacher .....

Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Courtier

can't wait to see pics of the happy family and esp the new baby!!! I'm sure she'll be sweetie

congrats to the happy family!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauritas138
Dazzling in Spain it is a custom, isnt it?
So... I do not understand the purpose of the question, but of course she must right to ask what she wants.
Im sorry Lauritas138, im not familiar with spanish customs & im not familliar at all with how second & last names go, not in spain & not in Europe. I just know that a name from the family is in the daughter/sons name

Quote:
first last name of Leonor is father´s and the second one is mother´s
Thanks for clarifying.abother point, id like to ask, does sibling middle & last names always have to be the same ? Because in Denmark if not mistaken it could be totally different.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Nobility

thanks for the pictures
Old 04-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauritas138
Dazzling i think that it is evident that if the first last name of Leonor is father´s and the second one is mother´s it´s because in Spain it is a custom, isnt it?
So... I do not understand the purpose of the question, but of course she must right to ask what she wants.
As much as I love Spain and try to be in touch with Spanish news/traditions, I learnt about that particular custom (father's surname then mother's surname) only after Leo's birth.
I think that is the purpose of the discussion board - if you don't know something - you ask, and people who have more knowledge about it answerl.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Nobility

e.g. Juan Martínez Escudero + Marta Villanueva Cortés => Juan Martínez Villanueva

Felipe de Borbón y Grecia + Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano=> Sofia de Borbón Ortiz y Grecia Rocasolano

This way when a woman marries a man, she never losses her maiden surname, and her family name is carried by her descendents (although just for one generation)

Spanish Family Names
The Spanish System of Surnames
Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
As much as I love Spain and try to be in touch with Spanish news/traditions, I learnt about that particular custom (father's surname then mother's surname) only after Leo's birth.
I think that is the purpose of the discussion board - if you don't know something - you ask, and people who have more knowledge about it answerl.
Of course,and I have answered to Bioquinhas.

We will see infant Leonor tomorrow i can´t wait!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redferns
e.g. Juan Martínez Escudero + Marta Villanueva Cortés => Juan Martínez Villanueva

Felipe de Borbón y Grecia + Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano=> Sofia de Borbón Ortiz y Grecia Rocasolano

This way when a woman marries a man, she never losses her maiden surname, and her family name is carried by her descendents (although just for one generation)

Spanish Family Names
Very intresting, thanks for the info. Thats a nice full name
Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/ss/even...xmD3BE_ueaK8MA

Hahaha, now it's raining!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Courtier

So Tuesday they take Leonor to meet her sister? Great, we get to see that cute little girl again!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redferns

Spanish Family Names
Why is Rocasolano in there? That's Leti's mother's name and it should not be in Sofia's name, unless I missed something.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Gentry

The Spanish naming systems pass down only the father's and maternal grandfather's surname, not the mother's. The new child's full surname is Sofia de Borbón y Ortiz, but if she was not royal, she would usually be referred to simply as Sofia de Borbón. Her mother's maiden name was Letizia Ortiz y Rocasolano (First name father's surname and mother's maiden name) but she was known as Letizia Ortiz. The Spanish "y" means "and." Sometimes a feminist or someone who dislikes his father will use the mother's maiden name instead or put it in the first position, but normally the father's name is the one people are known by or that is passed down, just like in England and the United States.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas
Why the last name is ortiz?In Portugal the father's name is always the last name of the child!
Who send all those gifts?
In Spanish speaking countries, most of them at least, the father's last name, in this case, Borbon is used followed by the mother's last name. I'm not sure why they put "y." She would be Sofia de todos los Santos Borbon Ortiz. They put "y" to make it sound more interested and high class...not sure why. The gifts were probably sent by some friends...not sure.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Serene Highness

I think the "y" was to link greek part of her. I don't think she would be Roscasolano though? Because this is her grandmother's maiden name, thus only Letizia is able to use it. Such a lovely name though: Infanta Sofia. By the way last evening TVE made a special on her birth and all the births of her cousins and sister.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Infanta Elena arrived to visit Princess Letizia and Infanta Sofia

source: telecinco
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia
Infanta Elena arrived to visit Princess Letizia and Infanta Sofia

source: telecinco
When she leaves the clinic will speaks with the journalists
Old 04-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Gentry

and hier are pic's from HOLA.com

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007...ospital-2a.jpg

http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2007...hospital-a.jpg

(Sofía: una nueva Infanta para España - Nacimiento de la segunda hija de los Príncipes de Asturias)
Old 04-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Gentry

and from polfoto.dk:

And here are someone more, and bigger: POLFOTO - altid med i billedet

Closed Thread