Letizia Gives Birth to Second Daughter - Sofía!: April 29, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to the parents!

adelaide said:
if you are very attempt to the Spanish history yo can see than Don Juan was called de Bourbon y battenberg; Don Juan Carlos de Borbon i Borbon; Doña Sofia de Borbon i Grecia;

Actually, I think it's Sofía de Grecia y Dinamarca.

I think her real family name was Glücksburg, but it was changed to "Grecia" so that it would be easier to pronounce in Spanish.

bluestocking said:
The Spanish naming systems pass down only the father's and maternal grandfather's surname, not the mother's. The new child's full surname is Sofia de Borbón y Ortiz, but if she was not royal, she would usually be referred to simply as Sofia de Borbón.

The current Spanish law allows for the parents to choose the order in which they give the surnames to their children, therefore the couple Juan Rebollo Pérez and María Andrade García can name their children eiter Rebollo Andrade or Andrade Rebollo. It's true that most parents follow the tradition and put the father's surname first.

Using both surnames or only one has nothing to do with being royal or not. In particular, I think Letizia liked to use both surnames (Ortiz Rocasolano) when she signed her work as a journalist.

bluestocking said:
Sometimes a feminist or someone who dislikes his father will use the mother's maiden name instead or put it in the first position

I think a lot of people are known by the second surname (that is, ususally the surname from the mother's side) when the first surname is very common, without those people necessarily disliking their fathers or being feminists. For example:

Pablo Ruiz Picasso > Picasso
José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero (the Prime Minister) > Zapatero (a.k.a. "ZP")
Federico García Lorca > Lorca

Dear Duncan,
Certainly before her wedding the Queen was Sofia de Grecia i Denmark, but I think, may be I'm wrong , that since her wedding she is Sofia Borbon i Grecia. Actually that is the reality!:flowers:

Last edited:
adelaide said:
Dear Duncan,
Certainly before her wedding the Queen was Sofia de Grecia i Denmark, but I think, may be I'm wrong , that since her wedding she is Sofia Borbon i Grecia. Actually that is the reality!:flowers:

I've never heard of the queen being named Sofía de Borbón. I think her maiden name was Glücksburg, and she adopted the surname Grecia after the wedding.

That's why her children are "de Borbón y Grecia", Borbón for their father and Grecia for their mother; if their mother's surname was Borbón, they would have been "de Borbón y Borbón".

Last edited:
Congratulations to the parents...I am waiting to see some photos of mother and daughter...more beautiful it will be with Leonor...let's see.

I love the outfit of Elena today!!! so spontaneous jeje

CONGRATULATIONS to LETI, FELIPE, LEONOR AND to the ROYAL FAMILY

The girl is called Sofia (de Todos los Santos) de Borbón Ortiz (without "y"). Here you have the link to Queen's biography from Casa Real web page:

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

"(...)Tiene ocho nietos: Leonor y Sofía de Borbón Ortiz, hijas de los Príncipes de Asturias, Felipe y Victoria de Marichalar y de Borbón, hijos de la Infanta Elena y su esposo, D. Jaime de Marichalar, Duques de Lugo, y Juan, Pablo, Miguel e Irene Urdangarin y de Borbón, hijos de la Infanta Cristina y su esposo, D. Iñaki Urdangarin, Duques de Palma de Mallorca.(...)"

MissSaga said:
I'm really overjoyed that Letizia and Felipe had their girl after many hard months .. I'm glad she turned out healthy, but it's still sad that there are no more babies to be born left :lol:

What makes you say that? Has there been an announcement of some sort?

Beate said:
What makes you say that? Has there been an announcement of some sort?

I think MissSaga meant no more babies to wait this year (apart from Princess Aimee), not no more babies from the Princes - hopefully we'll see loads of beauties and handsome boys from the couple.

Oh, okay..thanks for clearing that up..I was a bit worried..
Well, we still have Princess Aimee of the Netherlands but of course she is not in the same category..:)

Congratulations Letizia, Felipe, Leonor and Spanish Royal Family
wellcome Princess Sofia

Congratulations again to the family! Queen Sofia and Infanta Elena certainly seem extremely happy:wub:

Welcome little Infanta
Bienvenida S.A.R la Infanta Doña Sofia de Borbon

CONGRATS to the princely couple!!!
BTW, any news of changing the succesion law???

Nice to see this family announced the name of the newborn the same day. Instead of some of these other families waiting days or even months, which in my humble opinion is one of the last ways of these families to distinguish themselves (or attempt to) from 'le peuple'. Good on the Spanish RF for not participating in that sort of nonsense, it's just a name for planet's sakes!

Infant Elena says that her niece Sofía looks “just a little bit” like Leonor.

La infanta Elena dice que su sobrina Sofía se parece 'un poquito' a Leonor

Infant Elena said this afternoon, after visiting her niece Sofía in the clinic, that she is “very nice” and that she is looked “just a little bit” like her elder sister, infant Leonor.

...More than one hour and half remained the Duchess of Lugo in the hospital, where was her brother the prince of Asturias, the mother and new born and her maternal grandmother,Paloma Rocasolano.

“She is very well, perfectly, my niece delight me”, said Doña Elena, whom indicated that infant Sofía eats perfectly...

Last edited:
Yaaay... I´ve been checking the forums out for days now to see if anything had happened and finally it has. I´m so happy :D A BIG congratulations to the spanish royal family and to spain with the little sofia. Love that name

It's so great Elena went to visit so soon. I sure hope she comes back to visit one of these days with Froilan and Victoria that would be nice. I;m wondering when Cristina will come visit, obviously today Miguel was the star of the house celebrating his birthday, but it would be nice if she could come soon. Has Letizia's family been seen anywhere near the hospital yet?
Can't get over the fact I just love the name :wub:

Letitzias mother was there on sunday. i saw a picture while entering the hospital

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!:sorcerer:
WELCOME, INFANTA SOFÍA !!!! :clap: :clap::heart:

Duncan said:
I've never heard of the queen being named Sofía de Borbón. I think her maiden name was Glücksburg, and she adopted the surname Grecia after the wedding.

That's why her children are "de Borbón y Grecia", Borbón for their father and Grecia for their mother; if their mother's surname was Borbón, they would have been "de Borbón y Borbón".

Should it not be Sofia de Grecia y Hannover (whaterver the spanish spelling is) Greece after her father and Hannover after her mother

Welcome to the world little Sofia. a very beautiful name for a very beautiful princess.
Congratulations to the parents, the family and the spanish people. :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

This seems to be a time of the women in royal families. a lot of queens in the making;) ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom