Letizia Gives Birth to Second Daughter - Sofía!: April 29, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
adelaide said:
Sometimes I'm little astonished by the questions?:rolleyes:

You shouldnt be, very much of the people on this forum dont know customs/history/traditions & why things are in other countries. asking is just a way of finding out, even if questions seem to be silly. In the Arab world, the child always takes after the father, so knowing that Felipe's daughter take Ortiz is new to many & to myself:flowers:

Anyways, Maybe later on today Felipe visit's again with Leonor. Since Felipe said Leonor & Sofia look alike, it would be cute to see when they grow up, looking like twins & dressed in the same summer dresses :)

lula said:

Thanks for the link dear Lula. What a joy to see the happiness of the Prince. How happy is the man who generally speaking is shy and don't very demonstrative of his feeling.

It's totally obvious that the new baby girl is a true pleasure for his family and the fact that the baby is called Sofia is a subject more of joy.

It's called very simple joy of the life but , yes what happiness. Congratulations for all the family!:wub:

Congratulations to the couple. Sofia is a great name for the girl and a nice gift for the Queen.

I really don't know why I receive some very harsh answers!I was just saying that in Portugal the last name is always from the father and I just wanted to ask why the last name is Ortiz???I know the customs are not the same, but really I don't know the customs/History/traditions of Spain! Gohsssss you are so......

dazzling said:
You shouldnt be, very much of the people on this forum dont know customs/history/traditions & why things are in other countries. asking is just a way of finding out, even if questions seem to be silly. In the Arab world, the child always takes after the father, so knowing that Felipe's daughter take Ortiz is new to many & to myself:flowers:

Anyways, Maybe later on today Felipe visit's again with Leonor. Since Felipe said Leonor & Sofia look alike, it would be cute to see when they grow up, looking like twins & dressed in the same summer dresses :)

Dazzling i think that it is evident that if the first last name of Leonor is father´s and the second one is mother´s it´s because in Spain it is a custom, isnt it?
So... I do not understand the purpose of the question, but of course she must right to ask what she wants.

El Rey tiene previsto conocer mañana a su nueva nieta

The King has foreseen to know tomorrow his new granddaughter

The King has foreseen to know tomorrow his new granddaughter, the Infanta Sofía, whom he will visit in the Clinical Rúber Internacional of Madrid, informed Efe a speaker of the House of the King.
(...)

Dona Sofía returned this morning to the clinic, to know personally how her new granddaughter and her daughter-in-law passed the night, the Princess of Asturias, and later she had foreseen to travel to Barcelona to be present in the birthday of her grandson Miguel, son of the Dukes of Palm.

At 12.45 hours the Prince of Asturias was returning to the Rúber Internacional. Only and to the steering wheel of the same vehicle in which this morning, after passing the night together with his wife and his daughter, was working out past the eight of the morning.

The Princes and the Infanta Sofía there meets the mother of dona Letizia, Paloma Rocasolano, which entered the Rúber Internacional a door that is not the principal one.

Infanta Leonor and King J.C.visit to Infanta Sofia TOMORROW.
lo han dicho en Telecinco, que hoy no hay mas visitas, pq Letizia necesita descansar.

biboquinhas said:
I really don't know why I receive some very harsh answers!I was just saying that in Portugal the last name is always from the father and I just wanted to ask why the last name is Ortiz???I know the customs are not the same, but really I don't know the customs/History/traditions of Spain! Gohsssss you are so......

Dear biboquinhas, I apologize if you had found my words too rud. It's my face old grumpy teacher ..... ;)

can't wait to see pics of the happy family and esp the new baby!!! I'm sure she'll be sweetie

congrats to the happy family!

Lauritas138 said:
Dazzling in Spain it is a custom, isnt it?
So... I do not understand the purpose of the question, but of course she must right to ask what she wants.

Im sorry Lauritas138, im not familiar with spanish customs & im not familliar at all with how second & last names go, not in spain & not in Europe. I just know that a name from the family is in the daughter/sons name

first last name of Leonor is father´s and the second one is mother´s
Thanks for clarifying.abother point, id like to ask, does sibling middle & last names always have to be the same ? Because in Denmark if not mistaken it could be totally different.

Last edited:
Lauritas138 said:
Dazzling i think that it is evident that if the first last name of Leonor is father´s and the second one is mother´s it´s because in Spain it is a custom, isnt it?

As much as I love Spain and try to be in touch with Spanish news/traditions, I learnt about that particular custom (father's surname then mother's surname) only after Leo's birth.
I think that is the purpose of the discussion board - if you don't know something - you ask, and people who have more knowledge about it answerl. :flowers:

e.g. Juan Martínez Escudero + Marta Villanueva Cortés => Juan Martínez Villanueva

Felipe de Borbón y Grecia + Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano=> Sofia de Borbón Ortiz y Grecia Rocasolano

This way when a woman marries a man, she never losses her maiden surname, and her family name is carried by her descendents (although just for one generation)

Spanish Family Names
The Spanish System of Surnames

Avalon said:
As much as I love Spain and try to be in touch with Spanish news/traditions, I learnt about that particular custom (father's surname then mother's surname) only after Leo's birth.
I think that is the purpose of the discussion board - if you don't know something - you ask, and people who have more knowledge about it answerl. :flowers:

Of course,and I have answered to Bioquinhas.

We will see infant Leonor tomorrow:wub: i can´t wait!

Redferns said:
e.g. Juan Martínez Escudero + Marta Villanueva Cortés => Juan Martínez Villanueva

Felipe de Borbón y Grecia + Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano=> Sofia de Borbón Ortiz y Grecia Rocasolano

This way when a woman marries a man, she never losses her maiden surname, and her family name is carried by her descendents (although just for one generation)

Spanish Family Names

Very intresting, thanks for the info. Thats a nice full name:)

So Tuesday they take Leonor to meet her sister? Great, we get to see that cute little girl again!

Redferns said:

Spanish Family Names

Why is Rocasolano in there? That's Leti's mother's name and it should not be in Sofia's name, unless I missed something.

The Spanish naming systems pass down only the father's and maternal grandfather's surname, not the mother's. The new child's full surname is Sofia de Borbón y Ortiz, but if she was not royal, she would usually be referred to simply as Sofia de Borbón. Her mother's maiden name was Letizia Ortiz y Rocasolano (First name father's surname and mother's maiden name) but she was known as Letizia Ortiz. The Spanish "y" means "and." Sometimes a feminist or someone who dislikes his father will use the mother's maiden name instead or put it in the first position, but normally the father's name is the one people are known by or that is passed down, just like in England and the United States.

biboquinhas said:
Why the last name is ortiz?In Portugal the father's name is always the last name of the child!
Who send all those gifts?

In Spanish speaking countries, most of them at least, the father's last name, in this case, Borbon is used followed by the mother's last name. I'm not sure why they put "y." She would be Sofia de todos los Santos Borbon Ortiz. They put "y" to make it sound more interested and high class...not sure why. The gifts were probably sent by some friends...not sure.

I think the "y" was to link greek part of her. I don't think she would be Roscasolano though? Because this is her grandmother's maiden name, thus only Letizia is able to use it. Such a lovely name though: Infanta Sofia. By the way last evening TVE made a special on her birth and all the births of her cousins and sister.

Infanta Elena arrived to visit Princess Letizia and Infanta Sofia

source: telecinco

fanletizia said:
Infanta Elena arrived to visit Princess Letizia and Infanta Sofia

source: telecinco

When she leaves the clinic will speaks with the journalists:flowers:

and from polfoto.dk:

ImageHandlerServlet
ImageHandlerServlet

ImageHandlerServlet

ImageHandlerServlet

And here are someone more, and bigger: POLFOTO - altid med i billedet