Letizia and Other Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think JC wanted Felipe to participate in all Crown Princely weddings we had in last years, that's why he didn't attend them, so Felipe had to go there just with mum and sisters & hubbies.

maybe part of the plan to find him a royal wife :flowers:

He went to Norway but true, he is not so often to be seen. Sofia went alone to Thailand and he did not go to Jordan either, but F & L went. Same in Denmark. Does anyone know if there have been occasions when King, Queen & Felipe went together abroad (pre-Letizia) for a royal gathering?

Yes, in some occasion it has happened, but years ago. 10 years ago they went to the celebrations of the Kings of Norway, and they went to funerals of Hassan of Morocco and Hussein of Jordan, also they have done it for some wedding, but family weddings, as those of the Greek princes in London.

The Spanish Royal Household only celebrates of official form weddings and funeral, so partly it is normal that they come to the same celebrations, and that do it less to birthdays, anniversaries and varied parties.

In the last years it is very slightly habitual that the King and the Prince come together to this type of celebrations. The King doesn´t go to weddings abroad, he only goes to that wich are of the family. Normally to the weddings of the inheritors have gone always the Queen and the Prince, in occasions accompanied for someone of the infantas. The King comes always to the funerales of other Kings, since the Queen does it to the funerales of the colitigants.

The Prince has never done a trip of State or official to another country with the Kings, as do other inheritors. Every Royal Household has its way of taking the things and its own rules.

Yes, in some occasion it has happened, but years ago. 10 years ago they went to the celebrations of the Kings of Norway, and they went to funerals of Hassan of Morocco and Hussein of Jordan, also they have done it for some wedding, but family weddings, as those of the Greek princes in London.

The Spanish Royal Household only celebrates of official form weddings and funeral, so partly it is normal that they come to the same celebrations, and that do it less to birthdays, anniversaries and varied parties.

In the last years it is very slightly habitual that the King and the Prince come together to this type of celebrations. The King doesn´t go to weddings abroad, he only goes to that wich are of the family. Normally to the weddings of the inheritors have gone always the Queen and the Prince, in occasions accompanied for someone of the infantas. The King comes always to the funerales of other Kings, since the Queen does it to the funerales of the colitigants.

The Prince has never done a trip of State or official to another country with the Kings, as do other inheritors. Every Royal Household has its way of taking the things and its own rules.

Thanks for explaining Lula.

The Prince of Wales went to Spain to attend F & L's wedding ;) It's widely accepted that QEII doesn't go anywhere and apart from her I don't know a monarch or heir to the throne who doesn't show up at least from time to time.

For the Felipe and Letizia 's wedding, it's totally normal because, as you know, it was a wedding of Crown Prince, futur Chief of State, exactly as the Prince of Wales(sorry for my mistake about the spelling of the name.....) who represented both the Crown of Great Britain and the country, it's a strict question of protocol as you can imagine! As you know too the Prince of Wales were in Spain to the funeral mass after the 11M but it's not him who assist at quiet all the royal festivities in Europe.

For the Felipe and Letizia 's wedding, it's totally normal because, as you know, it was a wedding of Crown Prince, futur Chief of State, exactly as the Prince of Wales(sorry for my mistake about the spelling of the name.....) who represented both the Crown of Great Britain and the country, it's a strict question of protocol as you can imagine! As you know too the Prince of Wales were in Spain to the funeral mass after the 11M but it's not him who assist at quiet all the royal festivities in Europe.

The BRF will have their own rules regarding who will attend what, as every monarchy has. Given mummy & daddy haven't done any weddings / birthdays / funerals for many years (total contrast to Spain) the Prince of Wales and his siblings have to represent far more often abroad than others.

With JC staying at home quite often I would prefer to see F&L with the Queen (with or without one of the infantas) more often, Jordan & Denmark were a good start, but unfortuately it hasn't proven to become the norm.

but hasnt things happen stop them going to birthday party's etc like her siter dieing ? cant think of anything else .

With JC staying at home quite often I would prefer to see F&L with the Queen (with or without one of the infantas) more often, Jordan & Denmark were a good start, but unfortuately it hasn't proven to become the norm.
But Jordan and Denmark were royal weddings... and as Lula said, the SRF only celebrates funerals and crown princes' weddings in a institutional way. It's quite different from birthdays and wedding anniversaries; in these cases, it's usually the Infantas who are sent abroad... Just like, for example, the Prince of Wales was sent to F&L wedding in Spain, but it was Princess Anne who was sent to the wedding celebrations of Luxembourg...

Anyway, as you said, each Royal House has its own rules and, as long as it works smoothly, that's what matters. ;)

Last edited:
Correct. Same as at Harald's birthday, where King & Queen plus one of the infantas (Cristina) went. This time it's Elena's & Jaime's turn.

Pity! I guess we have to wait for Victoria's wedding for F & L to show up (in case it will ever happen) ;)

We don't have to wait that long :). I think F&L will go to WA's 40th birthday celebration on Sept 1st. Felipe was asked to inaugurate the Euro basketball on Sept 2nd during the audience with the organization committee Normally he would have either accepted the invitation or said he would try to make it, but that time he just smiled and didn't say anything. Thus I think he and Letizia most likely have other plans around Sept 2nd.
I never thought either the King or Felipe would attend Sonja's birthday cruise. It's a bit too long and the SRF haven't started the summer holiday yet.

Last edited:
You are both welcome! :flowers:
I thought it was a very nice and warm interaction between Prince Charles and the Spanish Royals, and it was also very good of him to go and support the Spanish Royals and people of Spain in those hard times.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there are photos of Letizia and Mary? Since the beginning, it seems the media has created a competition between the two, the weddings, the babies, etc.. I know a l ot of that makes for a good story but I always wondered what the two women actually think of each other or if they have ever attended an event together.
I think it is quite fun that the two couples seems to be doing everything at the same time. The wedding and babies... I wonder if the next time one of them gets pregnant the other will to?

Besides... Letizia was not yet a princess when she attended the danish wedding...

I think they're both too busy on their own things to compete with each other. They are both professional grown up ladies.
This competition thing is just yellow press stuff to sell.

I will like to see the couple going to the royal gatherings and getting along with the new Princes and Princesses, after all that's their "family" and colleagues and ultimatelly friends. I have miss them in a lot of royals events, since King Juan Carlos almost never goes with Queen Sofia it won't harm anyone if Letizia and Felipe goes with her on some of those trips as Felipe did in the past.

Is just my opinion, it will be nice to see them going to anniversaries, weddings, baptisms, talking about baptisms one can denied the level of afection the young royal generation professes to each other, they take advantage of those events to get together and reinforce their frienship and none of them have being goodparents of any of Leonor or Sofia or viceversa, they haven't being goodparents of any of the new royald kids, in other monarchies you can have a list of goodparents and it is a shame they haven't being appointed as so.

I will like to see them in those events because Spain as any country has good and bad times but they should not only attend events inside the country but abroad as well, after all we have a Prime Minister, they should meet with their acquaintances wich ultimately some of them are part of Felipe's family.

Last edited:
Then contact Zarzuela because the "grey men" there are the ones who decide who they want to represent the Spanish Royal Family at those events. As someone mentioned here some time ago, whatever they do and do not do is defined by Zarzuela. In addition, they only have two godparents in Spain and the SRF only get family members and really close friends as godparents just like with the Infantas, Felipe, and their children. I think it's nice to have the paternal grandparents for Leonor and the maternal grandma Paloma and Konstantin a good friend of Felipe for Sofia. And the same goes for the Urdangarins and Marichalars.

Last edited:
In addition, they only have two godparents in Spain and the SRF only get family members and really close friends as godparents just like with the Infantas, Felipe, and their children. I think it's nice to have the paternal grandparents for Leonor and the maternal grandma Paloma and Konstantin a good friend of Felipe for Sofia. And the same goes for the Urdangarins and Marichalars.

Exactly. Leonor and Sofia only have two godparents each, absolutely no point to have big name foreign royal godparents they only see once or twice a year.

Then contact Zarzuela because the "grey men" there are the ones who decide who they want to represent the Spanish Royal Family at those events. As someone mentioned here some time ago, whatever they do and do not do is defined by Zarzuela.

Sometimes I wonder what Felipe will do once he will be in charge, exchange the "grey men" with people who are close to him or if he will go with the current structure / people either because he wants to or because he has to as the "grey men" have too much power or influence, even without JC.

In addition, they only have two godparents in Spain and the SRF only get family members and really close friends as godparents just like with the Infantas, Felipe, and their children. I think it's nice to have the paternal grandparents for Leonor and the maternal grandma Paloma and Konstantin a good friend of Felipe for Sofia. And the same goes for the Urdangarins and Marichalars.
In general I am not a fan of grandparents becoming godparents simply because their time is limited due to the age difference. In Leonor's case I am sure chosing JC and Sofia was a statement in terms of Leonor being the heir. In Sofia's case it's not that bad because Paloma is still quite young for a grandmother but usually there is a good chance that the grandparents will be gone before the child turns even 20. If sticking within the family IMO brothers & sisters (plus spouses) are a much better choice because they might be around and close to the godchildren for the main part of their lifes (including own marriage & children, something grandparents are very unlikely to witness).
Therefore I would have preferred Cristina or Elena to become a godmother, but I agree it's difficult in Letizia's case as Paloma lives in Madrid and Telma seems to be living her life outside Spain, for work reasons and maybe because she has more privacy there.

I will like to see them in those events because Spain as any country has good and bad times but they should not only attend events inside the country but abroad as well, after all we have a Prime Minister, they should meet with their acquaintances wich ultimately some of them are part of Felipe's family.

What do you mean they don't attend events abroad ? Felipe had many trips abroad each year. Letizia had accompanied him on almost every trip the first year of their marriage. The last couple of years, she had two babies, one very difficult pregnancy, thus cancelled some trips, but Felipe still had many trips abroad.

Though Felipe's travels may bring him and his wife abroad, I think that Rania means that the Asturias couple doesn't seem to eager to join royal festivities abroad. They only attended 3 events as a couple as far as I can remember. They might have their reasons for that, but the fact remains that they simply don't grace the international Gotha with their appearance.

Before his marriage Felipe was a regular indeed, he went to a lot of Royal festivities abroad,, perhaps his mother made him go, in the hope he would warm up to a blooblooded lady ;)

The Prince has come especially to weddings, and weddings of persons that belong to his generation or Princes are like he inheritors. If instead of Kings' acts be celebrating they were celebrated of Princes (weddings, birthday), the Princes of Asturias would come, but if the act is of Kings the most probable thing always is that comes the Queen. For example, surely to the birthday of the Prince of Orage the Princes of Asturias will come, or in a future to the wedding of Victoria of Sweden.

In the last years the Prince of Asturias has been increasing very much his activity. Since he ended his stage of formation he has increasingly acts and activities, and the priorities have changed. In addition, it is in a moment in which the public opinion has the eyes more put on the Princes of Asturias, and this moment takes advantage from the Royal Household to project a certain image of the Prince. The official activity of the Inheritor always is going to be in front of playful activities of the royalty.

but they should not only attend events inside the country but abroad as well, after all we have a Prime Minister, they should meet with their acquaintances wich ultimately some of them are part of Felipe's family.

I think it was donnaK who posted an interesting article about the SRF doing a lot more in terms of international relations than Zapatero ... can't recall when or where it was posted ... so they are kind of doing his job.

Like with many other topics re F & L appearance it's Zarzuela's decision which has to be respected, but from the outside, and this is how 98% of the people look at it, their strategy and what they want to achieve is hardly understandable and doesn't do F & L any favours, be it in terms of attending royal gatherings or their (especially Letizia's) role in general.

I believe that partly, this are different ways of seeing and understanding the monarchic institution.

For some, this type of big celebrations, to celebrate, for example, a birthday, form a part principally of the monarchy ... the celebrations, the luxury, the nice suits, the big jewels ... all that is very nice of seeing in photos and gives to speak many and to occupy many pages in the magazines. It are a type of acts traditional and historically linked to the Monarchy, and that partly have more that to see with a certain "devotion" to the person. They have to see more with a traditional role of the Monarchy ... that with the Monarchy like institution that occupies the Headquarters of the State.

Personally I think that the service to the own state must be ahead of the celebrations ... and for my it is more important than the Prince of Asturias expire with his commitments in Spain or trip representing Spain, which he comes to a party only for certain members of the royalty. Also I believe that it is so important that he meets a King like any Chief of State, because in the fund, they represent the same thing, to a State. The relation between monarchies is a relation every time more personnel, relative ... that institutional, because the states that have monarchy are a minority.

And I say certain members of the royalty, because really, when in many of these forums one speaks about this topic it limits to a closed circle of European royalty .... when there are royal houses as the Windsor that they inform enough little in these acts and always with secondary representatives ... and other many monarchies in the rest of the world.

The King Juan Carlos is not a person who frequents the royal celebrations, nevertheless it does not prevent him from having good relation with other monarches (yes, his own charisma and his personality help), and these monarches are Harald of Norway or the King of Jordan, or that of Morocco. But simultaneously, he establishes good relations or even make friends with other Chiefs of State.

One more time, there is a probleme of hierarchic organisation of the Princes's activities.
As we know and can we see this last week, the situation of the Princes of Asturias is for the moment very linked at a general atmosphere of criminal terrorism acts which injured a lot of spanish families in mourning because the dead of one of theirs.
As we know the spanish 's culture toward he death is to express the sorrow and to share the greif. As we can see it's a part of the Princes's work to praise the memory's victimes, mainly those dead for Spain under the uniform, in a very sad ceremony.
As it's easy to understand, in this circonstances, there is no place for european royal festivities because a Queen's birthday, even if for this event half private, half public the " Royals" have a lot of plaisant acts.

If by the past, the prince of Asturias went to this kind of events when he was bachelor and much less involved of official works as Crown Prince - Remember since his wedding, his professional commitments are increased of the triple, and i don't speak about his personnal familial commitments which are grown to quiet zero to have in three years a wife and two little girls!- Today, he can't have so disponibilities to be free for this acts.
We can say that exactly as the Prince of wales, who go only to the great wedding - about of the same rank as him- to go funerals, as representant both the English Crown and the Great Britain, the prince of Asturias has to devote to his constitutional work, by the way his wife the princess of Asturias is doing the same thing.

It's the general landscape to wich we have to add the internal situation of Spain. Do you think really that it would be very appropriate that the Princes of Asturias are going to spend two or three days in Norway for the birth of the Queen who is only consort? It's the the King 's birth! It's absolutly obvious, even if it's not very glamourous for the magazines, the tabloids, the yellw press, that it's not the moment for the Princes to spare their time in festivities which aren't in accordance with the state of the politic landscape of the Spain.
Sometimes it's absolutly obvious, even if we don't have estupendous pics, that the Princes are mainly the representant of the spain Crown and the constitutional organisation of Spain than members of the great european family of the " Regals". The Crown of Spain with the Infantas and theirs husband can have fantastic amassbadors of the royal european families for asuch act.

Last edited:
Then contact Zarzuela because the "grey men" there are the ones who decide who they want to represent the Spanish Royal Family at those events. As someone mentioned here some time ago, whatever they do and do not do is defined by Zarzuela. In addition, they only have two godparents in Spain and the SRF only get family members and really close friends as godparents just like with the Infantas, Felipe, and their children. I think it's nice to have the paternal grandparents for Leonor and the maternal grandma Paloma and Konstantin a good friend of Felipe for Sofia. And the same goes for the Urdangarins and Marichalars.

I will contact nobody, is unveliavable that one can't share one respectful opinion w/o being treat rude if it dosn't goes with some of the members opinions. As far as the baptisms in Spain I know very well my own country that's why I did focused more in other RH's who has a list of goodparents in where L and F hasn't being appointed, that's all I said because it is a reallity. I'll say no more, if that make a lot of people happy the emperor has clothes then.

I will contact nobody, is unveliavable that one can't share one respectful opinion w/o being treat rude if it dosn't goes with some of the members opinions. As far as the baptisms in Spain I know very well my own country that's why I did focused more in other RH's who has a list of goodparents in where L and F hasn't being appointed, that's all I said because it is a reallity. I'll say no more, if that make a lot of people happy the emperor has clothes then.

I must correct to you in some data. Prince Felipe, although could not go to the baptism, like the Frederick of Denmark, is godfather of Ingrid of Norway.
That without counting all the godchildren whom Prince Felipe has, if not of house ruling,tie to the royalty… Some of them...

- His nephew Miguel Urdangarin, and his niece Victoria Federica Marichalar
- Prince Ernst August of Hanover Jr.
- Konstantino Alexios of Greece
- María Fernández-Sastrón y Gómez Acebo
- Luis Felipe Gómez-Acebo y Ponte
- Sofía of Bulgaria

I believe that only Princess Victoria is a recurrent godmother in different baptisms, the inheriting princes, are not godfathers so habitually.
With respect to the princess, Mathilde is godmother of Princess Alexia and Princess Isabella, and Maxima, godmother of Sverre, and Mette Marit of Christian. But at the moment neither Mary nor Letizia, that are just arrivals, are godmothers or no children of heirs.

the inheriting princes, are not godfathers so habitually.
Mmm Frederik is Godfather to Ingrid, to the oldest son of Pavlos, and to Nikolai and I belive to one of the SWB children as well. Haakon is to Maud Angelica, Eloise and Chrstian. Mette-Marit is to Christian and the youngest son of Pavlos

Well bottom line after reading this discussion 2698 times in different threads I think the conclusion is;)

Internationally Spain will not managed without their royals

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia only attends serious events, all the other royals attends non serious fluff events like christening flowers all the times.

Felipe and Letizia are serious royals, the rest are party hoppers who dare have a good time in the weekends and vacations, sheeesh on them.

Felipe and Letizia are super hard workers, all the others a lazy people, esp Party hoppers like Maxima who just of maternety leave have attended incredible shallow events in Kenya and London

Before 2004 The spanish royals was also partyhoppers and non serious because they were at plenty of parties all over Europe

Felipe only attended theese parties because his mother wanted him to find a suitable wife and we all know he always does as mummy says

It is only the spanish who have serious expectations to royals

The other royals just choose each other as godparents because it looks good, never because there is a true friendship

And finally.....If one wants an excuse not to attend one will find one

Mmm Frederik is Godfather to Ingrid, to the oldest son of Pavlos, and to Nikolai and I belive to one of the SWB children as well. Haakon is to Maud Angelica, Eloise and Chrstian. Mette-Marit is to Christian and the youngest son of Pavlos

Well bottom line after reading this discussion 2698 times in different threads I think the conclusion is;)

Internationally Spain will not managed without their royals

Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia only attends serious events, all the other royals attends non serious fluff events like christening flowers all the times.

Felipe and Letizia are serious royals, the rest are party hoppers who dare have a good time in the weekends and vacations, sheeesh on them.

Felipe and Letizia are super hard workers, all the others a lazy people, esp Party hoppers like Maxima who just of maternety leave have attended incredible shallow events in Kenya and London

Before 2004 The spanish royals was also partyhoppers and non serious because they were at plenty of parties all over Europe

Felipe only attended theese parties because his mother wanted him to find a suitable wife and we all know he always does as mummy says

It is only the spanish who have serious expectations to royals

The other royals just choose each other as godparents because it looks good, never because there is a true friendship

And finally.....If one wants an excuse not to attend one will find one

I love it :lol:

I am not surprised by anything of what I read ... like always.:lol:

Larzen thal you for the information of Hakon ... and the inheritors Belgian and Duth of whom are the godfathers?

I speak about two forms of understanding certain type of acts, and it is evident. For some they are important acts of an official nature, for other private acts. And in conformity with it each one, in every moment it gives the priority that believes correct.

Certainly, when I say that change the things, not only they change with regard to the assistance to acts in the exterior but also in the own country. In Spain, only big celebrations have been done, with many foreign guests, in the weddings and in funeral. But for example, years ago the King was celebrating the day of his "Onomástica" with a great receipt in the Royal palace, to important prominent figures of the different sectors of the Spanish society ... this act for years is not realized, the King celebrates his "Onomástica" of very discreet form ... and when he celebrates it. The own baptisms of the grandchildren of the Kings have been very simple.

I am not surprised by anything of what I read ... like always.:lol:
Well I write to please, take it like it is ment:lol:
I speak about two forms of understanding certain type of acts, and it is evident. For some they are important acts of an official nature, for other private acts. And in conformity with it each one, in every moment it gives the priority that believes correct
no and no, the official acts are the important thing, that is what their role is based on, that does not mean one cannot induldge in the private events when they happen:rolleyes: and they happen mainly in the weekends or the vacations when the spanish royals knows how to realaxe as well, it is not as if they often work in the weekends and they have one of the longest summerholidas of any royals. Oh well maybe when one does not get to indulge one has to put extra emphasis on the official acts;) and still live on the memories of a certain red dress we saw 3 -three- years ago

I think it would be lovely if Felipe and Letizia attended, for example, Queen Sonja's Birthday Celebrations. Wouldn't it be nice to see Letizia in an evening gown and a tiara?
I'm not critisizing them for not going, they do have important acts to attend in Spain. And I understand completely the many arguments given here.
It's just my personal opinion. :)

Again in my opinion, the Spanish Royals rather seem like the British ones - they respect the abroad occasions, but don't attend them too often, focusing more on their large agendas at home. Which is certainly not a bad thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom