King Felipe's Christmas Messages 2014 - present

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm waiting his first speech as a king with high anticipation to be honest... After all his family has been thorough, and that mess about Cristina...

Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YUBDDTEHJU

Maybe it is the Spanish way. but I was struck by the overly political tone of His Majesty's message.

I don't think for example that the King should take sides in the Catalan debate. In fact, he should leave that issue to the politicians and the people, as Queen Elizabeth II tried to do during the Scottish independence referendum campaign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it is the Spanish way. but I was struck by the overly political tone of His Majesty's message.

I don't think for example that the King should take sides in the Catalan debate. In fact, he should leave that issue to the politicians and the people, as Queen Elizabeth II tried to do during the Scottish independence referendum campaign.

Its an old topic that has gained momentum again in recent times. JC has spoken out a lot against catalan independence. It would be the end of Spain as we know it, no comparison with a possible co-existence of England and Scotland. No surprise Felipe keeps speaking out against it.

On the other hand, he is slowly introducing co-official languages, he finishes the message saying Merry Christmas in Spanish, Basque, Catalan and Galician.

It was long! I guess that's right since it was the first as king...

On the other hand, he is slowly introducing co-official languages, he finishes the message saying Merry Christmas in Spanish, Basque, Catalan and Galician.

I suppose he could record his full Christmas message also in Catalan to show that he really cares about Catalonia and Catalan culture. The problem is he would probably have to do it in Basque too, which would be too difficult. I assume the King most likely doesn't speak Basque, but he probably speaks Catalan or could learn it in a short period of tome

:previous: Yes, learning Basque is not impossible but would consume a lot of time. Phonetically it is not that difficult for a Castilian Spanish speaker (the same five vowels), but grammar and syntax construction is another world. It's been reported several times Leonor's education would include all co-official languages, at least some basic knowledge. So hopefully she would be able to deliver rehearsed speeches in Basque when she is grown up.

Christmas message 2015

For the first time, King Felipe gives his speech tonight from the Royal Palace and not from Zarzuela. Following the recent election results there is much interest in the king's words.

El Rey transmite su Mensaje de Navidad desde el Palacio Real

Felipe VI hará el discurso en el Palacio Real por primera vez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtVm83f2vmk

Message and photos

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Mensaje de Navidad de Su Majestad el Rey

I don't get why they were mad about this, the Palace doesn't belongs to him but to the public. His speech was in general harmless, he could have made it more political, but surely he would have been bashed for that for 'meddling' by the same people. He really can't win over everyone.

I don't get why they were mad about this, the Palace doesn't belongs to him but to the public. His speech was in general harmless, he could have made it more political, but surely he would have been bashed for that for 'meddling' by the same people. He really can't win over everyone.

No he cannot "win over everyone" and no matter how neutral he tries to remain he'll face criticism. I agree that the Palace is a good setting as it belongs to the nation and not the Borbon family.

that's not a bad number by any definition though

Back at Zarzuela this year and festive looking too!

H.M.The King's Annual Christmas Message

PPE

PPE Agency

It appears that the king has struck a more conciliatory tone towards Catalonia this time.

Well the harsh words he used previously did no good whatsoever for his beleaguered prime minister or Spain during the last few days. I would prefer to hear what the King really thinks. The King is eating humble pie for Christmas dinner this year. Feliz Navidad!

Everyone expected the Christmas speech to be kinder, but deep down he keeps saying the same thing. Without respect for the laws and the rights of ALL there is no democracy.

King Felipe was never critical of Catalonia, he was critical of Catalan politicians who failed to comply with Spanish and Catalan laws... very different things. That would be criticized by any Head of State anywhere in the world.

The independentists have won more places in the parliament by an unbalanced electoral law that they have not wanted to change in 40 years because it favors them, once again they have a majority of seats but not votes. Now they will have to try to form a government, and we will see if they comply with the law or continue in their fantasy world. At some point they will have to stop propaganda and gestures for the press and those related to their ideas, and dedicate themselves to work for the citizens, and we will see then what they are doing.

Another thing that the elections have shown is that it is rural Catalonia and part of the traditional upper classes that have always supported and benefited from nationalism, which supports the independence movement. Barcelona and its surrounding cities, which have the majority of the working population and economic activity, vote more against independence ... and the more political instability continues, the worse their economy will go ... it is not strange that proposals are emerging to make Barcelona independent from Catalonia (and within the law).

Last edited:
The Christmas message was taped after he learned the results of the elections. It would be interesting to read the message he would have read if the results had been different. Of course, he is fully within his right to promote unity (I wouldn't expect him to do anything else) but the law should serve the people instead of the other wsy around. That's what he should work towards; and hopefully a way forward is found that has the support of the large majority in Catalonia... (and preferably also the rest of Spain)

It is good to hear that he seems to finally recognize that the Catalonians that have a different opinion are also part of his citizens - although he still hasn't spoken out against the police brutalizing them (which he justified indirectly instead).

Regarding the city/ies being in favour of staying a part of Spain. That was to be expected as that is where you would find most Spaniards from other parts of Spain (who might stay or move when better opportunities come along).

And for clarification (not to turn political but to avoid being misunderstood): I personally don't support independence for Catalonia but I do support the right for all to decide on the future of their people/country/region. The law should ensure that such is a process is possible and meets the highest standards.

Casa Real's review of 2017

Back
Top Bottom