King Felipe's 50th Birthday January 30, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Sofia will be fine. She seems like quite a self possessed young girl - I would guess she was the elder daughter if I didn’t know better - and in the recent video and the ceremony today I get the sense she might not take herself or the business of being royal quite as super seriously as the rest of the family.

The person I felt a little sad for was Leonor. You could tell she was trying so hard to do everything perfectly - it was sweet but a little heartbreaking. I really do wish Felipe and Letizia would let her interact with the public more often in less formal and less pressured situations. Take her to a farm or a small museum or some sort of organization a twelve year old would find cool and give her a chance to feel her way through it without the whole thing being micromanaged. Doing something that was fun and involved just talking naturally to a few friendly people might take a bit of the weight off her shoulders.

Agree. It would help her build up confidence. And heir or not she's still a twelve year old child and it must be pretty daunting for her to perform, even here, in this safe environment.
Also because she will make minor mistakes when on the job, no matter how well drilled she is. Better make them now when she is a child and will be forgiven, than later.

It is the Spanish way. The three children of King Juan Carlos also were so much more groomed and instructed than contemporaries in other monarchies. You can also see that King Felipe is incomparable with his more relaxed colleagues in Northern Europe.

It is quite telling that, in the recent video that Casa Real released to celebrate the King's birthday, Leonor is in the car with her parents going to school and reciting the Periodic Table (specifically the alkaline earth metals: Be, Mg, Ca, Sr, etc.) ! Unsurprisingly, her father said today in his speech that, in addition to serving the country and following the constitution to the letter, Leonor must "love the arts and the sciences" because they are the key to progress or something along those lines.

It is actually great that Felipe and Letizia are raising Leonor as a "Renaissance Princess", but she also needs to relax a little bit. I know she goes sailing with her father, who was once an Olympian. It would be good if she also played other sports and had other outdoor activities.

Why didn’t Sofia receive a collar as well?

See the forum about "Spanish Orders and Medals" for an answer to that question. That was discussed in detail there.

Last edited:
I think people are over thinking the 'over groomed'. We are seeing Leonor and Sofia in very formal settings. They are at an age where they can be taught how to behave properly for these types of things. This is not a casual family get together. The Belgian kids seem to have the same level of maturity as well. I would worry if Leonor was not able to act with a sense of seriousness at her age, when it is called for.

Yes they are making sure she knows how to act in public. And making sure both girls excel in school. There is nothing wrong with that. Sofia especially will have to make some life for herself one day (well some royal duties but still).

Leonor looked a bit nervous. But it was her first big event with all eyes on her. She has to know how important an occasion was. She handled it well.

Its hard to believe still she is old enough, watching her do her curtseys ?

Felipe and Letizia both seemed quite proud, as do her grandparents.

I don't think Leonor (and Sofia) is “over groomed” in this event. It is in a very formal setting and more importantly she is the focus of this event. I think other royal children may have attend some formal events but don't have such experience of being the focus in a formal event.

I think people are over thinking the 'over groomed'. We are seeing Leonor and Sofia in very formal settings. They are at an age where they can be taught how to behave properly for these types of things. This is not a casual family get together. The Belgian kids seem to have the same level of maturity as well. I would worry if Leonor was not able to act with a sense of seriousness at her age, when it is called for.

Yes they are making sure she knows how to act in public. And making sure both girls excel in school. There is nothing wrong with that. Sofia especially will have to make some life for herself one day (well some royal duties but still).

Leonor looked a bit nervous. But it was her first big event with all eyes on her. She has to know how important an occasion was. She handled it well.

Its hard to believe still she is old enough, watching her do her curtseys ?

Felipe and Letizia both seemed quite proud, as do her grandparents.

I agree that the Belgian royal kids are also "well groomed", but we also get to see them doing "kids/teen stuff" like windsurfing, or simply going to the zoo. Leonor and Sofia probably also have moments like that. For example, as I said, we know that Felipe, like Frederik and Constantine in his young years, is an avid sailor and that both of his girls also sail. The thing is that we almost never see those more relaxed moments of Felipe's girls because their parents tend to hide them from the public, and that is the main difference compared to the Belgians IMHO.

I don't think Leonor (and Sofia) is “over groomed” in this event. It is in a very formal setting and more importantly she is the focus of this event. I think other royal children may have attend some formal events but don't have such experience of being the focus in a formal event.

It really depends on the setting. At the Investiture of her father, it looked like Amalia felt the full impact of the ceremony on her. I think all royal children have that "feature", with the Spanish one being impeccable.

That's a sweet moment between father and daughter.
And like most dads in such a situation he looks like he's close to bursting with pride.
It's good to see that King Felipe may be king, but he is also very much a dad.

Agree 100% :flowers::flowers::flowers:
BYe Bine

Congratulations on your first post, Bine :flowers:

The Princess of Asturie did well , what a great smile , loving parents and grand parents.
We will never have that in Belgium.

:previous: I think Elisabeth at least has a great and close relationship with her parents? Of course I expect nothing from her grandparents considering their relationship with their son.

The Princess of Asturie did well , what a great smile , loving parents and grand parents.
We will never have that in Belgium.

Come on, Maria Olivia! Philippe and Mathilde are loving parents, and Mathilde looks like a dream mother.

Of course I know for the parents.!!
But no loving grand parents , Aunt Astrid and Uncle Laurent.

A wonderful little ceremony and the parents & grandparents seem to be beaming with pride. No court jester this time, as was the case at the founding ceremony in 1429 ;).

The king had some nice words for both his father, his grandfather, the late Count of Barcelona and for the other members of the order. I did not recognice Javier Solana without a beard.

It must have been a rather impressive occasion for the princess, to become a member of the world's most prestigious order at such a young age. The Queen looked magnificent in red.

I don't know if the Order of the Golden Fleece from Austria is granted to Women ???

A wonderful little ceremony and the parents & grandparents seem to be beaming with pride. No court jester this time, as was the case at the founding ceremony in 1429 ;).

The king had some nice words for both his father, his grandfather, the late Count of Barcelona and for the other members of the order. I did not recognice Javier Solana without a beard.

It must have been a rather impressive occasion for the princess, to become a member of the world's most prestigious order at such a young age. The Queen looked magnificent in red.

That would be interesting considering the special status (and often the considerable power and influence) of the court jester!
I could write an entire article about that fascinating subject, but I'll spare you. ?

I don't know if the Order of the Golden Fleece from Austria is granted to Women ???

As far as I'm aware the Austrian version can only be bestowed on Roman Catholic royal or noble men.

The current King of the Belgians was awarded it in 2008 when he was Duke of Brabant.

I would say that Europe's most prestigious (non-ecclesiastical) order today is the Order of the Garter, which is also the oldest, but the Golden Fleece probably comes second.

Unfortunately, with the demise of most of Europe's great monarchies like France, many historical orders are now also forgotten.

Last edited:
It was so lovely to see Leonor receive the new order; everyone seemed to be so proud of her. I loved the outfits she and Sofia were wearing. Hopefully we'll be seeing Leonor at more engagements with her parents as perhaps her new order is a sign of this.

Back
Top Bottom