King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia, Current Events, Part 2: November 2015- March 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ I cannot open the second link! It says: "access denied".

Lunch with Their Excellencies the President of the Federal Republic of Germany, Mr. Joachim Gauck, and Ms. Daniela Schadt
Zarzuela Palace. Madrid

Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Almuerzo con Sus Excelencias el Presidente de la República Federal de Alemania, Sr. Joachim Gauck, y la Sra. Daniela Schadt

The King and Queen with the German President and Ms. Daniela Schadt posing outside the Zarzuela Palace.

King Felipe Vi Pictures and Photos | Getty Images

It's a farewell visit, Gauck will be replaced in a couple of weeks. He's 77 and didn't want another term. I'm sad to see him go. As many other countries, we are lacking candidates with moral integrity etc to fit the job for Head of State.

Gauck is quite unique, he used to work as a pastor, is still married to his wife (for almost 60 years) but they have been seperated for many decades. Daniela Schadt is his partner, a former journalist who had to give up her job when Gauck became Head of State (similarity to Letizia), and she won't return to her profession after his retirement because she feels that her opinions will be considered political.

German people critizise their politicians a lot but with their personal lives we are very tolerant, nobody cared about our late foreign secretary Westerwelle (gay, had a husband) or Gauck (his girlfriend is First Lady), I like that.

:previous: That's the way to go, Duke. They're public figures, hence it's their public job what shoud be critizised. Their personal life is nobody's bussiness.

As long as he does a good job I couldn't care less for who he sleeps with. Give me a good President that may have a somehow azarous love life rather than a flawless family man who is anyway an incompetent. Obviously, same goes for women.

I think Europeans are in general more tolerant in these matters than Americans, anyway...

I don't know much about Mr Gauck and Ms Schadt but everytime I've seen them they came across as a very pleasant, dignified couple.

Last edited:
It's a farewell visit, Gauck will be replaced in a couple of weeks. He's 77 and didn't want another term. I'm sad to see him go. As many other countries, we are lacking candidates with moral integrity etc to fit the job for Head of State.

Gauck is quite unique, he used to work as a pastor, is still married to his wife (for almost 60 years) but they have been seperated for many decades. Daniela Schadt is his partner, a former journalist who had to give up her job when Gauck became Head of State (similarity to Letizia), and she won't return to her profession after his retirement because she feels that her opinions will be considered political.

German people critizise their politicians a lot but with their personal lives we are very tolerant, nobody cared about our late foreign secretary Westerwelle (gay, had a husband) or Gauck (his girlfriend is First Lady), I like that.

I wouldn't say everyone agree with the personal life of Mr. Gauck. when he first was candiadte for the Office of President in either 2009 or 2010 there was quiet a bit of critic that he should sort out his private life. But in 2012 there was quiet a hurry to find a candiate after Pesident Wulff had to resign.
I personally having nothing against a President whose partner who is not his spouse as First lady but for a former Pastor i find he should out these things as it not according to the teachings of the protestant Church.

The Cervantes Memorial is done with great style, as usual, I might add.
It was a very beautiful event indeed.

There have been, however, some critics stating the anniversary has not been as celebrated as it should have been.

The political gap that lasted almost the whole year was heavily accused also in this. Plus, the planned SV to the UK included some events in conection to the joined anniversary of both Cervantes and Shakespeare that should have brought some international attention.

Video from today's lunch (the first lady speaks some Spanish I think):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Dvxq7JJp4

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom