King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Family, General News Part 1: August 2014 - Sept. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just before the Easter Hoidays,looking forward to April!

Oh things get interesting. I've rarely seen a pic of the family in semi-private circumstances...

So great to see them enjoying a semi-private short holiday (must be really short, they had official events on Thursday and have again tomorrow). I'm surprised to see so many pictures, though most of them are private.

Great to see they took the time to pose for pictures with everyone. They all look relaxed and engaged with the people.

Leo and Sofi look beautiful and I like her winter clothes :)

What a little surprise :) They all look great.

(I'm so looking forward for the Japan visit)

Is this the first time the girls have tried skiing? I know that Elena has taken her children skiing for years now.

I read some articles calling it an annual break and some mention its the weekend, is it a long weekend break or is there a winter holiday?

Lovely to see the family hit the slopes. They look very confident skiers.

Every year Felipe spends a weekend in a Spanish ski resort in january or february, usually he did with his cousins, this year is the first time he goes with Letizia and the girls.

They supposedly have privately visited ski resorts abroad, only once were pictures posted on Hola. There has also been news about Letizia and girls learning to ski on an artificial ski slope in Madrid.

They have probably waited for the girls to have some skiing skills and that the weekend trip was not too tiring for their age, to expose them to the attention of the people and the press.

Traditionally the Royal Family was skiing in Baqueira Beret, where the ski resort gave them a chalet for many years. In the last years Cristina and her family who lived very close went often, and Elena in Christmas holidays.

King Felipe prefers to visit and promote different ski resorts, and enjoy the privileges they once had in Baqueira Beret, is not very agree with the new policy of the Royal House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AueTlQDcXrg

It's not an annual break, I think this is the first time time we see the family skiing together.

IIRIC, Felipe went to skiing during a weekend last year with some friends. Years ago the RF (JC, Sofia plus kids) used to go every year to the Pirinees and even had a house there, but that was long ago.

It's not an official holiday either, just a small weekend trip (probably a three days trip since F&L had no events on Friday, but it was a school day for the girls anyway).

I read some articles calling it an annual break and some mention its the weekend, is it a long weekend break or is there a winter holiday?

Lovely to see the family hit the slopes. They look very confident skiers.

Only weekend, they arrived yesterday and return today to Madrid. King Felipe and Queen Letizia have an official event tomorrow and it's school day for the girls. In Spain there is not officially winter holidays, only some schools organize them.

i don't think we have seem felipe and letizia skiing together for a long time. if i remember correctly, letizia learnt to ski shortly after her engagement to felipe. i remember how there were reports that she learnt in a dry piste with an instructor and how the press was eagerly awaiting the first time they went to baqueira as a fianceed couple. letizia joked with the reporters asking them if they would publish the video shots if she fell, because she was new to skiing.

Is this the first time the girls have tried skiing? I know that Elena has taken her children skiing for years now.

no, i think leonor and sofia were seen some years ago in ski school in switzerland with letizia (and i believe letizia's mum).

Its normally suggested that the family take a ski weekend to a resort outside of Spain thus avoiding press attention - there was one year they did get some pap shots of the girls learning.

This is a nice treat to see them as a family photographed openly in a Spanish resort. I know it is often reported that Letizia is not a fan of skiing but i am glad to see her taking part once again - i recall the last time she was photographed on the slopes like this was during their engagement

Its normally suggested that the family take a ski weekend to a resort outside of Spain thus avoiding press attention - there was one year they did get some pap shots of the girls learning.

This is a nice treat to see them as a family photographed openly in a Spanish resort. I know it is often reported that Letizia is not a fan of skiing but i am glad to see her taking part once again - i recall the last time she was photographed on the slopes like this was during their engagement

The pictures were from 2010, Leonor learning to ski in Switzerland.
Princesses' lives: Skiing holiday for the spanish royal family

There was lots of critizism at the time, Letizia vacationing with her mother and Leonor learning to ski NOT IN SPAIN, even though one can learn to ski there as well. Therefore it's only smart to appear as a family in a spanish resort, promoting the country.

Had they gone to Verbier etc, all hell would break lose.

btw, in most pictures Sofia now looks taller than her elder sister.

Thank you Duke of Marmalade and carlotta for answering my question. As a parent I can understand why they would like to have the kids' first ski school experiences to be away from the cameras. While Letizia might not be a fan of the activity I'll give her credit for trying it again and with her daughters.

Very nice pictures. Glad they did a photo-shot this year during the winter.

Politico Europe includes King Felipe VI of Spain in the list of "12 people who will make 2017 great again (in a good way)":
12 people who will make 2017 great again (in a good way) – POLITICO

It includes a very flattering profile:
Spain isn’t an easy country of which to be king. While it has had monarchs for most of its history, the present monarchy was activated only in 1975, after the death of Francisco Franco, who ruled unchallenged for 39 years. Felipe came to the throne in June 2014, when his father, Juan Carlos I, abdicated in the face of increasingly inconvenient controversies in the royal household. A potent strain of republicanism runs through Spain, and the country has been riven by every conceivable political problem: corruption, parliamentary instability, economic downturns, mass youth unemployment and corrosive Catalan separatism. After the November 2015 elections, Spain was without a government for almost a year, and Felipe was in the spotlight, deciding who should try to form a government. He steered the process with aplomb, and to general acclaim. It helps that he’s seen as a monarch “in touch” with his subjects — he’s college-educated (unlike any previous Spanish monarch) and married to a divorced commoner who once worked as a TV anchor. In a time of European turmoil, Felipe is Spain’s greatest political asset. (Imagine how much more sane Italy would be if it had a king like him!)

it is true that ruling spain is not an easy task at the moment. however, much of the problem stems from the comformity that the higher elite thought they had, of which felipe himself is part - resulting in corruption and abuse of power in the detriment of opportunities for the poor, the unemployed, the inexperienced youth. so, as much as i agree with some of politico's points, i do not agree with others, but i hope i am proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom