The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Spain's Queen Letizia criticized after text messages leaked | Daily Mail Online

This episode is the first serious gaffe of the new Kings.

Just ten words have served to show that is one thing to preach and another to practice, the apparent rightness of the institution to the reprehensible behavior is only a facade when the person involved is a friend and a yoga mate.

Clearly Queen Letizia could never imagine that these messages were to be made public because she could not suspect that they would end up in a police investigation and incorporated into a summary. But it is also clear they evidence an inexperience and clumsiness, for the use of language and for supporting a person whose behavior was at least seriously called into question a few days before.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
At least Felipe was more careful, although he agreed that 'Spain is a difficult country', he didnt want to elaborate further via electronic media.

I think its a major image blow for casa real, not only supporting a man who turns out to be involveld in corruption and sexual harrassment but also the drastic vocabular of the oh so controlled queen what confirms her old image, that her public appearance as supercontrolled and smiling Queen is not authentic but a fake and that her private personality is totally different.

Its for the first time that people get to know how she articulates herself in private and that's not a pleasant experience.

Its not a surprise that personal message get leaked when involved in corruption investigations, it was the same with Inakis emails, lots of them were private messages that were leaked to the press.
I don't get your sentiment here: of course she will behave controlled with a smile in public. Queen Elizabeth is also different in private. And yeah this also means she swears in private.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 PM
Royal Highness

El Gobierno anuncia una investigación por la publicación de los mensajes de los reyes en eldiario.es
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

LOC is a section of gossip in a newspaper. Letizia has for years been one of its main objectives, publishing all kinds of stories ... sometimes with rumors, sometimes with incorrect or false data. It is also where Peñafiel writes his continuing attacks on Letizia.

Not exactly an example of serious and respectful journalism. They demand respect for them when they do not have any respect for people privacy.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
LOC is a section of gossip in a newspaper. Letizia has for years been one of its main objectives, publishing all kinds of stories ... sometimes with rumors, sometimes with incorrect or false data. It is also where Peñafiel writes his continuing attacks on Letizia.

Not exactly an example of serious and respectful journalism. They demand respect for them when they do not have any respect for people privacy.
i partially agree, but this does not excuse letizia of her foul language, inproper of a queen, or of her support to someone involved in a corruption case.

the government supports the case of studying how these messages were leaked for the royal family... i wonder if they would do it for anyone else!

felipe and letizia have an event scheduled for today (Concierto "In Memoriam" en homenaje a las víctimas del terrorismo en España) - we shall see how they conduct themselves following this.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Carlota, when this message was sent, that person was not even officially investigated ... he was not charged until months later and he is still awaiting trial.

We accept the interpretation that a newspaper that is republican makes of a partial filtration of a conversation.

Letizia really just says "I wrote you when was published the article of the cards in the LOC **** and you know what I think Javier"... if you read this article, really on the judicial issue contributes very little, and probably there were much more serious and informed news on the topic in the press . Rather, it is an article devoted to insist on the friendship between him and Felipe, also providing some data that apparently are not true. Perhaps it was no support because he had a legal problem ... but because he was worried that the problem would harm his friends for publishing articles like this.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Carlota, when this message was sent, that person was not even officially investigated ... he was not charged until months later and he is still awaiting trial.

We accept the interpretation that a newspaper that is republican makes of a partial filtration of a conversation.

Letizia really just says "I wrote you when was published the article of the cards in the LOC **** and you know what I think Javier"... if you read this article, really on the judicial issue contributes very little, and probably there were much more serious and informed news on the topic in the press . Rather, it is an article devoted to insist on the friendship between him and Felipe, also providing some data that apparently are not true. Perhaps it was no support because he had a legal problem ... but because he was worried that the problem would harm his friends for publishing articles like this.
Sorry, I disagree. This is the article that Letizia was so angry about:
https://translate.google.de/translat...8138b456e.html
Javier López Madrid: el íntimo del Rey Felipe con tarjeta 'black' | loc | EL MUNDO

Apart from mentioning the personal history of both men who were very close (Javier helped Felipe with dating women in private, eg was on the India trip with Eva Sannum), it clearly accuses Javier of being among those 86 people who are accused of misusing public money in the black card scandal.

And if I recall correctly, another man involved in the same scandal is Rafael Spottorno, the former head of household of casa real, who had already resigned over this same scandal, before the messages with Javier were exchanged.

Now you can say, the gossip press is very bad and a friend is a friend who needs to be supported, but it is extremely naive, almost unbelievably naive so send such messages, in such an explicit language, to a man who is obviously invovled in the same scandal that forced Spottorno to resign. Letizia is not only a queen but also a former journalist, who should have known so much better, as demonstrated by Felipe who more or less refused to join the chat and put things on record. There was a good chance when the messages were exchanged that phone records would become subject of investigation.

And the naivity is even less understandable when thinking of the Noos case in the own family, where emails were leaked and the Noos case becoming the basis for Felipes code of conduct, to stay away as much as possible from public money and possible misuse, so with the first hint of Javiers involvement red lights must have blinked all over Zarzuela, to be extremely careful when relating to him.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/03/10/...38_629319.html
Old 03-10-2016, 04:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, I have done precisely the same reasoning. Several media have published today that a week later Javier goes to a meeting in Zarzuela and they begin to mark distances with him.

So I think that the reaction can be not because he is affected by the case ... but by the way this circumstance is used by some media with not always correct or clean information... as in the case of LOC with incorrect data related to the king, or even using the princess to do strange speculations about her name.

Letizia does not understand this kind of journalism, by the way they have attacked her and her family... and probably with that her reactions are more emotional.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Letizia does not understand this kind of journalism, by the way they have attacked her and her family... and probably with that her reactions are more emotional.
i think that letizia, as a former top journalist and as a member of the royal family for 12 years now, should have known better...

this kind of behaviour, and her penchant for being so 'emotional' as you say, is what constitutes most of the critiques the press releases about her. her snappy, not-thought comments have made the headlines now and again and allow the press to see behind the image she wants to portray as 'the perfect royal' and class her as being fake.
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

The information in a program of serious news and gossip tabloids are not exactly the same kind of journalism.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis View Post
I don't get your sentiment here: of course she will behave controlled with a smile in public. Queen Elizabeth is also different in private. And yeah this also means she swears in private.
Exactly! Don't all royals behave differently in public versus private?! We seem to forget that these people are human beings...they are not perfect and they will make mistakes occasionally!
Queen Letizia will learn from this experience and she will be a lot more careful in the future...at least...I hope she has learnt that she HAS to be a lot more careful! This too shall pass!
That being said...I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in Christina and Inaki's house when this story hit the media!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The information in a program of serious news and gossip tabloids are not exactly the same kind of journalism.
i was not comparing the different journalism types: all i said is that "letizia, as a former top journalist and as a member of the royal family for 12 years now, should have known better". what kind of journalism background they have is irrelevant.

in fact... she should have known all the more better if she was a 'serious news' reporter.

Quote:
That being said...I would have liked to be a fly on the wall in Christina and Inaki's house when this story hit the media!
i doubt it is comparable, at least at this stage. inaki and cristina are on their way towards the jail. letizia 'only' sent a text of support to their friend, albeit a very rude one, but is not related herself to a corruption issue.

but yes, it looks like it's annus horribilis for felipe and letizia: the government formation issue, the noos case implications and now this...
Old 03-10-2016, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Exactly! Don't all royals behave differently in public versus private?! We seem to forget that these people are human beings...they are not perfect and they will make mistakes occasionally!
Queen Letizia will learn from this experience and she will be a lot more careful in the future...at least...I hope she has learnt that she HAS to be a lot more careful! This too shall pass!

Prince Philip can say to a photographer in public to 'take this f**** photo already' but it's treated like a gaff.
F&L were tense tonight, especially her, because she knows elmundo and co enjoy this. I bet Penafiel already opened microsoft word for his next book.

To be a legend, you've either got to be dead or excessively old!
Christopher Lee
Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Oh yeah! Felipe and Letizia know that this section of the media will be gunning for them even more now!
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
but yes, it looks like it's annus horribilis for felipe and letizia: the government formation issue, the noos case implications and now this...
For the RF of Spain the term "annus horribilis" doesn't make much sense anymore. Pretty much every year since 2010 has been annus horribilis for them. It's more like horribilis decade

Okay, I don't know how to start with all this. Yes, they both have been unbelievably naive. Don't ever write anything that can be used against you, even I do know that and I'm not a public person. And Felipe is perfectly conscious about it as is showed in the same chat (sorry but I laughed so hard with the "this is a difficult country" part, that's so spot on and probably not a thing to say in public or with outsiders, but who can blame him for saying it in private, even if it's not the most politically correct comment). So why Leti is not? It is a big faux pas from every point of view.

But being a big mistake and meaning a considerable damage to F&L's public image, everything has been ridiculously over blown (as everything tends to be esp with Letizia). As much as I was surprised and amused by her way of texting, it was a private talking with a close friend, what's the big deal? OMG she swears. Unbelievable. Ouch, she dislikes the newspaper that has been throwing s*** to her and her family for 12 years. Astounding, I'd never have guessed.

Seriously, you can't expect royals to be royals 24/365, and you surely can't expect them not to vent out their anger if they feel it. As long as they do it privately (as she was doing), and probably as long as they don't leave it written (and I think we all will agree that publishing private phone chats, even if it must be expected to happen, is not the most morally correct thing to do).

All this talk about a queen never ceasing to be queen makes no sense to me. Wasn't Letizia's father in law, a king in his own right, celebrated as spontaneous and human, oh-so-down-to-earth, across all the country for telling Chavez to shut up IN PUBLIC, during an official diplomatic summit? And now Letizia is supposed to be quiet and smile all the way even in her private conversations with friends? Please, that is absolutely not fair, what means the so overused "being a queen all the time" concept means, being the stupid little girl that just bow the head, smile and expects the next attack?

Last but not least. Such a big mountain from a grain of salt that we forget what was the main point, the fact tht their former friend is accused of corruption and they were openly sending him "hugs" and support. It's really bad, true, but as said before, who can't say he would not send support to a long time friend on a similar case? It's a fact that their relationship ended afterwards and even if I'm not confortable with the fact that they are friends with this kind of people, but reality is that to pretend that they have no relationship with anybody messed up in a corruption scandal is as naive as sending those text messages. Corruption is everywhere among the economical and political powers in Spain, you don't really go a long way through the elites without finding somebody tainted. It's actually shameful.

That's the part they have to respond for. I don't see the great scandal people is trying to make out of it. It's troubling, it's a huge faux pas, they should have known better and hopefully they will learn about it. I'm confident (maybe too much) that it will pass on with little more than some stains on F&L's public image. And life will go on. While yesterday, people I talked to about were annoyed, today most of them were like "this is too much, can't they have friends?", and the letter of LOC was seen by some as welcomed publicity for them, so not as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Spain*Queen Letizia's*urged to explain texts to fraud accused | Irish Examiner
Old 03-12-2016, 10:57 AM
Commoner

All this over the use of a naughty word and standing by their friends who are under investigation. Have the friends been found guilty in court or just in the media?

Such silliness.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turby View Post
All this over the use of a naughty word and standing by their friends who are under investigation. Have the friends been found guilty in court or just in the media?

Such silliness.
So far only in the media. But then, so has Cristina. Seems that the code of conduct doesn't always apply in private.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

It seems that the childhood friend of Felipe, Javier Lopez Madrid, was not very trustworthy in the end, there are other text messages circulating, we'll see if these get published in full scale as they are between Javier and Elisa Pinto, the woman who he had a relationship with and now accuses him of sexual harrassment.

In these messages, Javier Lopez Madrid reveals some jokes of his wife (Letizia's yoga partner) about Letizia's eating habits (she only eats very little) and that she is tired of being addressed as 'Senora'.

López Madrid copió a la dermatóloga Elisa Pinto sus mensajes con Letizia y el rey
Letizia le dijo a López Madrid que estaba "harta" de que la llamaran señora - Informalia.es

So I guess the press picked the most explosive messages that involved Felipe as well and where Letizia is attacking a media outlet as 's**t' to harm them, the rest is not really newsworthy, it is common knowledge that Letizia only eats very little.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:59 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
[...]
Wasn't Letizia's father in law, a king in his own right, celebrated as spontaneous and human, oh-so-down-to-earth, across all the country for telling Chavez to shut up IN PUBLIC, during an official diplomatic summit? [...]
This was an outburst of the King after continuous insults made towards Spain, the Spanish Government and the former Spanish Prime Minister José María Aznar. Live on TV. In the presence of other heads of state. In the presence of the King. In the presence of Prime Minister Zapatero.

That the King was celebrated was not because of his outburst but because he did what his weak Prime Minister - seated next to him - did not: to stand up and to end the insults on Spain, the Spanish Government and the former Spanish Prime Minister. Thát was why he was applauded for and the un-royal language used by the King was effective: even the experienced streetfighter Hugo Chávez was taken from his à propos and did "shut up" indeed...

Tags
crown princess leonor, felipe queen letizia, felipe vi, general news, infanta leonor, infanta sofia, king felipe, king felipe vi, leonor, letizia, princess of asturias, sofia