King Felipe, Queen Letizia and Family, General News Part 1: August 2014 - Sept. 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a surprise to see there Leonor!!! But a very nice surprise!!!!

What a surprise to see there Leonor!!! But a very nice surprise!!!!

Yes a very nice surprise Eya and great to see Leonor with her father at a sporting event.

What a lovely surprise. I'm glad that Felipe took her out. It's about time that Leonor, as the heir, to show up more in public events. I also like the interaction between Leonor and Del Bosque. Here's to hope that the girls will appear more.

Does she like football? Well, I would have expected another sport's attendance for her instead of an evening at the stadium...

:ermm: Why?? Football is extremely popular, among both men and women, both to watch and to play. It was probably exciting for her to go to the stadium with her dad for a big game

Honestly, I think it was about time that other family members, Letizia or the daughters, show up at ANY sports event.

Why?? If they are interested in sports great. And it looks like Leo had a good time with her dad tonight at the game. But while I agree it would be great if we saw more of the girls, I don't see the importance of it being at sports events.

Last edited:
Why?? If they are interested in sports great. And it looks like Leo had a good time with her dad tonight at the game. But while I agree it would be great if we saw more of the girls, I don't see the importance of it being at sports events.

Because in Spain, most events are serious/political and Felipe often has sports events on the agenda, that kind of event is ideal to introduce especially Leonor to royal life. She's heir to the throne and hardly ever seen in Spain. Some artsy/cultural events would be suitable too but they are rarely on the agenda and private attendance is always hidden away.
Letizia should attend sports events more often as well as part of her job.

Yeah he definitely has a fan on his hands. She definitely was into the game with the best of them :cool: Maybe we will see her at another game soon with her dad, wearing the jersey.

Because in Spain, most events are serious/political and Felipe often has sports events on the agenda, that kind of event is ideal to introduce especially Leonor to royal life. She's heir to the throne and hardly ever seen in Spain. Some artsy/cultural events would be suitable too but they are rarely on the agenda and private attendance is always hidden away.
Letizia should attend sports events more often as well as part of her job.

I don't think attending sporting events is part of the job of being queen :ermm:
I think it more important for the current queen to be seen representing her patronages and the work she does, then be seen at a football stadium.

As for the girls, yes it would be nice to see them more. And since it seems Leo enjoyed football very much, nice to see her at it again. The girls are full time students right now though, so its understandable they don't get taken to many events.

Thanks for the pic :flowers:

He doesn't look quite as excited as Leo at her first. Maybe his team was losing :cool:

It was lovely to see Leonor at the match. She looked very stylish in her outfit, and her reactions to the game were cute. I also love the photo of Leonor with her signed shirt, she seems rather pleased to own it!

I believe that Sofia and Leonor have been to a football club a couple of years ago where they were wearing signed shirts and had a trophy, but I don't think they attended a match that time.

It was lovely to see Leonor at the match. She looked very stylish in her outfit, and her reactions to the game were cute. I also love the photo of Leonor with her signed shirt, she seems rather pleased to own it!

I believe that Sofia and Leonor have been to a football club a couple of years ago where they were wearing signed shirts and had a trophy, but I don't think they attended a match that time.

I think you're remembering the Welcome Home celebrations to the Spanish Team after they won the European Championship a few years ago. The girls were wearing their Team jerseys and, in one of my all time favourite Royal pictures, looking down into the Trophy. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Everything has a political load these days. Don Juan Carlos being a supporter of Real Madrid is food for the separatists in Barcelona, how silly it may sound. When teams from Catalonia or Pays Basque play in the Copa del Rey (the King's Cup) with the King or another royal attending, terrible whistling, booing and insulting are their part. Nice that Doña Leonor had a good first football match. She may cherish this because she will undoubtedly become whistled, booed and insulted by masses in a gigantic overcrowded stadiums, when she will hand out the trophies as an adult Princess of Asturias.

:ermm:

Everything has a political load these days. Don Juan Carlos being a supporter of Real Madrid is food for the separatists in Barcelona, how silly it may sound. When teams from Catalonia or Pays Basque play in the Copa del Rey (the King's Cup) with the King or another royal attending, terrible whistling, booing and insulting are their part. Nice that Doña Leonor had a good first football match. She may cherish this because she will undoubtedly become whistled, booed and insulted by masses in a gigantic overcrowded stadiums, when she will hand out the trophies as an adult Princess of Asturias.

:ermm:

They got booed locally at the stadium because the King was given direct access to the stadium, sealing off access for the ordinary fans, many of them missed the start of the match for that reason.
Also in the media was a discussion whether is it good to take a 10 year old to a match that starts at 8:45pm and ends at 10:30pm, so she will be in bed very late.
Leonor will grow up with critizism, complaints and hostility towards her position, she's old enough to see, hear and read.
She's no ordinary girl, who can sit next to Del Bosque during a football match?

I think you're remembering the Welcome Home celebrations to the Spanish Team after they won the European Championship a few years ago. The girls were wearing their Team jerseys and, in one of my all time favourite Royal pictures, looking down into the Trophy. :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Thank you! :flowers: That's exactly the event I was talking about, if you were referring to this photo:

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/King+Juan+Carlos+Spain+Receives+Victorious+eBBonzOcK-yl.jpg

Yay, he brought Sofía!
So, it seems it will be a Spanish finale: Atletico Madrid vs. Real Madrid. Hopefully the whole family attends :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It was so nice to see that Felipe brought Sofia with him, now both of the girls have been to the football this year. I wonder if Sofia is a big fan of football too, she seemed to be rather focused on the match!

Lets see if Felipe will watch the final Real against Atletico on his own!

Great seeing Sofia out with daddy. Daddy daughter dates are special :flowers: And when it is to a football game, all the better :cool: Be great to see him take both girls to the finals.

The 11 euros-menu story has hit the news this week. Actually, the story was as follows: the King went to Extremadura for an award ceremony, by helicopter (as usual). But the weather this week has been horrible (Felipe actually arrived half an hour later due to flight problems because of the wind), so they decided to return to Madrid by car instead. Probably the initial plan was to be back in the capital by lunchtime, but with the change it catched them in route. So they stopped at the road restaurant (the typical, usual road restaurant, full mostly of carriers on a normal day work, with the typical, normal cheap menu of traditional food with two courses, dessert, a drink and bread as all Spanish restaurant offers at work days between 1-4 a.m.) to get their lunch before continuing the travelling.

The restaurant owners published themselves the story at their Facebook page, with the pics they took with Felipe, and it soon became viral. Obviously, there had been the usual comments: those surprised by the anecdote, those who thought it was such a down-to-earth gesture and those who complained it was just PR stuff. And those rational ones who stated that the most normal thing to do when a road trip gets complicated and hunger catch you in the meantime is to stop wherever they can feed you :D

But, mostly, it has been one of these news that provides a source of endless online entertainment. The fact that King Felipe does such a normal, everyone's thing as eating the 11 euros menu of a road restaurant as we all have done made for lots of jokes imagining what other "cheap things for normal, porr people" he might do in his private life. You know, the kind of "Felipe VI chooses the "standard delivering" rather than "express" so he saves those 6 euros" or "the fridge of Felipe and Letizia is full of McDonalds' ketchup bags".

Anyway, aside from jokes, the restaurant owners were delighted and in their FB page they give us all the detail:

https://www.facebook.com/RestaurantePuertaDeExtremadura/posts/578324195662649
"Today it has been a pride and a satisfaction to have had eating at mi house somebody as important as the King of Spain. Thank you, Your Majesty"

-Additional info: for those who don't know it, "pride and satisfaction" (Me llena de orgullo y satisfacción - it fills me with pride and satisfaction) was a trademark quote of King JC. I don't even know when did he used it for the first time but he might have repeated it a deal of times because it became very famous. People were so amused of that eeehhh pompous, cheesy and definitely not very natural :D way of expressing himself so it become the key quote for every JC's imitation and quite a new idiom in Spain.

- For the record, that quote is so important and famous when you come to Spain, that even Ryan Reynolds (or his Twitter team, but very well played anyway) used him to promote the premiere in Spain of his movie Deadpool on Twitter and people here cracked up (x)

Also, they say he behaved like any normal client, that was kind and smiling and took pics with everybody that asked him.

More on the restaurant's page, the pics:
https://www.facebook.com/RestaurantePuertaDeExtremadura/posts/578880295607039
https://www.facebook.com/RestaurantePuertaDeExtremadura/posts/578881025606966

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Well, it is a bit ironic that a true queen visited the film set of a movie with such a title! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom