The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Is this truly a love match?
Yes, they are blissfully in love. 0 0%
No, it is a marriage of convenience. 0 0%
Perhaps, only time will tell. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

It's already been said and I'll only repeat it. The situation is completely different. Felipe and Letizia got married only two months after the terrorist attacks, their wedding mass was dedicated to the victims and their families, the country was still in shock and the monarchy is still somewhat weak.

If I recall correctly, neither one of Felipe's sisters kissed their grooms on the lips or acted too romantic near them.

What we need to know is that Felipe & Letizia and Fred & Mary are different people, with different stories and different life styles.

Give F&L some more time....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rec_saludo.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	55548   Click image for larger version

Name:	0018.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	55549   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	55550   Click image for larger version

Name:	l1128901.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	55553  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ceremonia5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	55555  
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Nobility

I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't see this as true love. They seem to share something incredibly profound and it's beautiful to see! I think that, in each other, they have both found their perfect match.

(Hi, by the way. This is my first post! Glad to meet everyone!)
Old 11-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinika
I'm amazed that anyone wouldn't see this as true love. They seem to share something incredibly profound and it's beautiful to see! I think that, in each other, they have both found their perfect match.

(Hi, by the way. This is my first post! Glad to meet everyone!)
Hi Tinika...

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

And btw, welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Nobility

Thank you, Anna R :)!
Old 11-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Gentry

I agree with you Tinika!! They do seem to share a deep and profound love and it is so nice to see that among the royal couples!
Old 11-11-2004, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

I think this love is not mutual (Letizia more than Felipe). He respects her but is not in deep love with her. If we think realisitcally , Spain has not been Spanish born queen for over 100 years.That is why ,if Felipe would have married a foreign born woman ,that means that Spain will not get Spanish born queen for more than 150 years. Letizia is almost

perfect (exept : divorced woman) for this role. She has a talent for communication because of her TV career and however she is Asturian born ,too. Their relationship is too official . On the other hands, we have never heard them before their engagement. I am sure that photos would have been taken of them.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Aristocracy

Unhappy

I don't think it is true love but I also don't think it was arranged either.

Body Language says a lot. It spells it out for the public. She seems almost uncomfortable around and he around her, like he doesn't know what she will do next. The photos of the wedding were particularly odd. I am studying body language at school and there like I said seem to not know eachother as well as you would a married couple to know one another.
They certainly like each other and enjoy the others company but I enjoy my dogs company.
They are certainly trying. But the lack of public affection is certainly a danger sign. Because if you don't show it you must not be sure of your feelings.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:46 PM
Aristocracy

it was mentioned a little earlier in this thread that Felipe threatened to give up the throne for her. he is talking about Eva or Letizia and why?

thanx....just a little confused
Old 11-11-2004, 07:35 PM
Royal Highness

It was more so Eva. But I don't think he really said that. I guess he wanted to be trusted to pick the right woman on his own terms. But this type of stuff did not happen w/ Letizia. And I don't think it is true love, more like liking each other and sharing the same interests. I guess they would say they were fond of each other than being in love with each other. But Letizia really does not seem like Flip's type. If you compare her to other girls he has dated she is a bit different. Oh well. You know I always thought Isabella Sartorius was a good choice...
Old 11-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Aristocracy

Spain and Denmark are two vastly different countries. You can't say that because Felipe and Letizia were not extremely touchy or kissing each other lots that they do not love each other as much as Frederik and Mary. Not all couples show the same amount of affection public as others. Edward and Sophie are not overtly affectionate the way Phillippe and Mathilde are but I don't think that means that one couple loves less than the other. If Felipe felt he was forced to marry a Spanish born woman, I think there are much more less controversial women than Letizia who is divorced as are her parents. She was not the ideal choice on paper and if Felipe felt he was forced to marry someone he could've picked a better woman. The only reason to marry Letizia was for love.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Aristocracy

Actually, my observations did not come from the wedding but from the time they were at the olympics. Funny enough, that was the most physical I have seen them yet. However it seems like Letizia was constantly trying to get Felipe's attention but touching his face, giving him a kiss, leaning her head on his shoulder but Felipe just seemed too absorbed in whatever he was watching. It just seemed like Letizia needs to be physical to feel loved whereas Felipe is happy with emotinally connected. That is what I meant when I said that Felipe may eventually get sick of Letizia's need for dependence, but again hopefully I am wrong. They did seem lovely at the wedding.

If compared to the Danish couple, they just seem much more comfortable with each other and more connected. They seem to be not only be lovers but also each other's best friends. Whereas Felipe and Letizia don't seem to have that friendship. Perhaps given time, they will be able to build a foundation strong enough to last.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe Felipe is more into sports then Frederik? I would not get any reaction from my boyfriend when he is watching soccer at all

Seriously, you must remeber how Frederik and Mary looke before and after they got engaged, Frederik running in front and Mary looking scared as a dear caught in the headlights. I dont think I have seen Sophie and Edward hold hands in years, whilst Mathilde and Philippe are constantly. I just think the protocol is different in different countries. The scandinavian and benelux countries seems less formal than the english and spanish (to me at least). I dont think you will ever see the spanish or english couples kissing on a balconys except maybe for weddings. They also seem more restrictive with photoshoots and interviews so you dont get to hear how they feel for each other.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with those, who think, that it isnīt the "big true love". I donīt think it was an arranged marriage and Iīm quite sure, both are a litte bit smitten. But I would bet all, that Felipe would have prefered Eva Sannum, when he, Eva and Letizia would be the only 3 human beings on this world and when he would have been allowed to choose only one woman.
I think the king and the queen have finally approved Letizia, because Felipe wasnīt the youngest anymore and because she seemed still most appropriate. And I guess most decisive was, that Letizia was popular in Spain before. In other words...if Juan Carlos and Sophia would still live in exile they would have also approved Eva Sannum. But as very dutiful monarchs-which they are-they also have to consider, what is the best for the spanish monarchy.
Well, now they are married and have to try their best to lead a good relationship and to become good parents. (When Iīm right) it maybe even helps, that they arenīt so deeply in love. Yes, we (almost) all want to marry out of love and want to be together until the end of our days. But letīs face it: in many cases the affection and love from the very beginning disappears after a few years, and then itīs more intimacy/familiarity, which ties a couple together and then other things than love dominate a relationship...e.g the ability to listen, to talk with each other etc. And the couple has to learn to deal with the faults of the partner. And to get back to Letizia and Felipe (and my guess, that it isnīt "true love")...it maybe helps, when they have both listended to their "brains" and not just to their "hearts"...so later bad surprises wonīt shock them too much.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
Humble

This is a sickning discussion: Please Close this topic.

I am sick of this discussion about whether Felipe and Letizia are truly in love. Who are you to judge that. Besides, it is difficult to make conclusions about emotional things. Assuming they are not truly in love..What does this matter to you? And how do you define "TRULY IN LOVE"...Is it through public kisses, public hugs, public touches...or what?

you are just another kind of Paparazzi...

I request the administrator to close this topic. Thanks
Old 11-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
I am sick of this discussion about whether Felipe and Letizia are truly in love. Who are you to judge that. Besides, it is difficult to make conclusions about emotional things. Assuming they are not truly in love..What does this matter to you? And how do you define "TRULY IN LOVE"...Is it through public kisses, public hugs, public touches...or what?

you are just another kind of Paparazzi...

I request the administrator to close this topic. Thanks
I wonder if you would have written the same, if all would have said "yes, they are truly in love"

Actually youīre right, we canīt judge it for real. Often itīs even hard to judge the own feelings, so how can we, when it comes to others.
But on the other hand...what stays of TRF, when we donīt discuss such things anymore. Just to write "this dress is beautiful"? And even there the opinions depend on personal expierences and views.
Well, we can discuss historical and political facts. But I think this should be left to other boards. On TRF it was always allowed to discuss trivia as well.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Humble

I am specific...I am talking about this topic and NOT about their clothing and their activities. Besides, you started your reply by saying whether if it were told they are truly in lover, i would have written my message...This is a hidden assumption from you that they are not truly in love...None of us would know

NOTE i put an assumption that they could be NOT be truly in love, but it is riskier to discuss the feelings than the clothing and the activities...
Old 11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Royal Highness

Please, let's keep this discussion civil.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble
I am specific...I am talking about this topic and NOT about their clothing and their activities. Besides, you started your reply by saying whether if it were told they are truly in lover, i would have written my message...This is a hidden assumption from you that they are not truly in love...None of us would know

NOTE i put an assumption that they could be NOT be truly in love, but what this matters to us.
No, this wasnīt an hidden assumption. Iīve just assumed, that you might not like it, that some ppl assume, they arenīt truly in love.
But as it seems I was wrong and you donīt like the discussion as whole (neither the contra-opinions nor the pro)...so I will stop here. I respect ennylloracs wish not to quarrel and will stop to go on :) *peace*
Old 11-11-2004, 10:03 PM
Humble

Oh you assume that I do not like the discussion..if this is really true, then as a MODERATOR, you should bring me back to the discussion by moderating the conflicting opinions...

Good night!