Infanta Sofia's possible godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?

• Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar

Votes: 47 31.1%
  • Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother)

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents)

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Telma Ortiz (Letizia's sister)

Votes: 39 25.8%
  • Members of another Royal Family (please specify)

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Other suggestion, please specify

Votes: 8 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, Infant Helena and Beltran Gomez Acebo, Prince Felipe's Cousin

Shadiyah2086 said:
I would say Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Haakon. But I thought Catholics were only allowed to chose Catholics to be godparents for their children (which is silly in my opinon) because who you chose as godparents should reflect on why the parents want them to be the godparents and not have to worry about whether or not they are catholic. Its like me saying tomy methodist cousin I would ask you to the godmother of my child but I can't.....because you're not Catholic. I mean come on!

Godparents are chosen as the religious and spiritual parents of the children in the Catholic church. A baby baptised in the Catholic Church must have godparents who are practicing Catholics.

Phillipe and Mathilde or Henri and Maria Theresa are great choices.

kimebear said:
Godparents are chosen as the religious and spiritual parents of the children in the Catholic church. A baby baptised in the Catholic Church must have godparents who are practicing Catholics.
It`s not completely true. I have a catholic godchild, though I´m lutheran. But I had to be baptised.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question about that...
I'm catholic as well and I thought the godparents had to be catholic, but I remembered Pablo Nicolas, the second son of Infanta Cristina; his godparents are Princess Alexia and Prince Kubrat, he's catholic but Alexia is ortodox so I'm kind of confused about that:ermm:

And I don't think the baby's godparents are gonna be foreign royals, it's not the custom in the SRF;)

lilytornado said:
It`s not completely true. I have a catholic godchild, though I´m lutheran. But I had to be baptised.

You can have a second godparent who is a practicing Christian, but at least one of the godparents must be a practicing Roman Catholic. One of my son's godparents is my cousin, who like you is a Lutheran, but we did have to choose a Roman Catholic as well.

kimebear said:

Phillipe and Mathilde or Henri and Maria Theresa are great choices.

Much better choices than Albert and Caroline

My choice is

Pavlos of Greece and Telma Ortiz.

An alternative choice is Konstantin of Bulgaria and Infanta Elena (only because she is an older sister. I think she will feel sad if Felipe has Cristina before her).

donnaK said:
An alternative choice is Konstantin of Bulgaria and Infanta Elena (only because she is an older sister. I think she will feel sad if Felipe has Cristina before her).

I was thinking the same thing. If Felipe and Letizia chose one of his sisters to be a godparent, I think it would be Elena based on the simple fact that she's older.

Re Prcss Alexia: Didn't she convert when she married Carlos? Maybe that's the reason she was chosen as a godparent for Pablo? Maybe Princess Sibylla of Luxembourg? She's related to Felipe through their great-grandparents, Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenie, and she's Catholic, so she or her husband Guillaume (the elder, or even the HGD would be nice) would be nice choices.

As far as I know, Alexia's still orthodox, she married in an Orthodox ceremony even though I think her children are being raised catholic...

kimebear said:
That makes sense, how can you choose protestant godparents for a kid to be raised in the catholic faith, Im catholic and about to receive my confirmation and I've always been taught that.

soCal girl said:
I was thinking the same thing. If Felipe and Letizia chose one of his sisters to be a godparent, I think it would be Elena based on the simple fact that she's older.

Cristina worked by this logic. Elena is Juan Valentín's godmother and Felipe is Miguel's godfather.

Well i think that the godparents will be Elena and Jaime. Elena is the older sister and successive to the throne after the Princes Felipe and his children.In this sense,I believe that they are “the most important” couple of the family after the kings and the Princes of Asturias and they will be the godparents of the new baby.

Originally Posted by morhange
Re Prcss Alexia: Didn't she convert when she married Carlos?

Actually, I think Carlos was the one who converted. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes i think he did, because their three kids are baptized by the greek orthodox church.

in catholic christenings there's only one godmother and one godfather, so the possibility of both sisters being godparents is non existant:flowers:

I hope the goodparents of the next childe will be Infanta Cristina and Iñaki Urdangarín.
Every time i se a pic of CP Letizia together with Infanta Elena she always looks cross..Infact i don´t think that CP Letizia and Infanta Elena have the best relationship together.

This is very complicated. So I believe that I am going to be discarding.

I do not believe that the Kings repeat as godfathers. The Kings were chosen as godfathers of Leonor, if we subject ourselves to the tradition, this it was an indirect way of supporting Leonor as heiress. Since I have repeated several times, the topic of if Leonor will be or not heiress, it is a strictly legal topic, in the thought of the Royal House, the politicians and the society, Leonor will be the heiress.

Neither I believe that Jaime or Iñaki are the godfathers. Jaime is not a godfather of any of the children of the Infanta Cristina, Iñaki, is not a godfather of the children of Elena. And Letizia was not the godmother of Irene either. So it would be very strange.

The godmother can be any of 4 sisters of the parents, probably me it would be able with Elena or Thelma. The godfather, is more complicated, because there are few men in the family. If he is not the grandfather Jesus Ortiz, I share the opinion of which they can be Beltrán Gómez Acebo or Konstantin of Bulgaria. The Prince Felipe is a godfather of Luis Gómez Acebo and of Sofia of Bulgaria. They and their wives are of the best friends of the Princes.

How about Fransisco Letizias Grandfather?

This is modern times. They should have both royal and non-royal godparents for the yet unborn prince whether the law is changed or not. I'm still in favor of the Infantus Eleanor being the Queen of Spain. Just make it retroactive to 2005.

i voted for cristina and menchu, although it's unlikely they will choose two ladies.

(i secretely voted for other royals as well in the hope that they will invite another royal houses to the christening :), but i doubt that will happen considering how reserved the spanish family is).

i think that a possible choice is Pablo of Greece since he is cousin and friend of Prince Felipe, and Felipe is godparent of one of his sons. For Godmother i think in infanta Elena because she is the oldest sister os Prince.

I think they will choose Thelma or Erica as a godmother and one of Felipe's cousin or close friends as the godfather. It's sure that eventually one or even both Infantas will be "employed" :lol: being the godmother of one of Felipe's kids, but not necessarly this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom