The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who do you think Felipe and Letizia will choose?
Infanta Elena or Jaime de Marichalar 47 30.92%
Infanta Cristina or Iñaki Urdangarín 63 41.45%
Jesús Ortiz or Paloma Rocasolano 28 18.42%
Menchú Alvarez (Letizia's paternal grandmother) 11 7.24%
Francisco or Enriqueta Rocasolano (Letizia's maternal grandparents) 4 2.63%
Telma Ortiz (Letizia's sister) 39 25.66%
Members of another Royal Family (please specify) 27 17.76%
Other suggestion, please specify 8 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:08 AM
Commoner

I voted for Elena and Jaime, however I believe that the King and the Queen will be the godparents again.

"Hamlet" - William Shakespeare
Old 09-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

Infanta Cristína and Jesus Ortiz.

Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Royal Highness

If it is an infanta.... (or an Infante)

If it is an infanta, then I think they will choose the two only catholic 'Crown Princesses' from the moment:

- S.A.R. la Princesa Mathilde de Bélgica, Duquesa de Brabant
- S.A.R. la Princesa Máxima de los Paísos Bajos, Princesa de Orange-Nassau

If it is an Infante, then I think the King and Queen will be godparents again because he will be the future Prince of Asturias.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I Think the Dutch CP Couple would be a nice gesture :) are they close???
Old 09-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
If it is an Infante, then I think the King and Queen will be godparents again because he will be the future Prince of Asturias.
I doubt that they'll make the King and Queen godparents again. Their choice to be Leonor's godparents was a statement that the constitution should and will be changed.

As for foreign royals, I think that tradition says it's not common practice among the Spanish Royal Family. They've always preferred imediate family or close friends...
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Aristocracy

i voted for Christina and her cute hubby
Old 09-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Gentry

I like CP Mary, CP Frederik and CP Maxima
Old 09-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_R
I doubt that they'll make the King and Queen godparents again.
Me too.

I don't think they will choose godparents that aren't catholic. They have many choices for godmothers, Letizia's or Felipe's sisters. As for the godfather I don't know maybe one of Felipe's cousins.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Royal Highness

Remember that the baby's godparents need to be practicing Catholics. That will exclude some of the other royals nominated here.

I would vote for Dukes of Palma. If I'm not mistaken, this couple was supportive of the Prince and Princess of the Austurias' engagement from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
If it is an infanta, then I think they will choose the two only catholic 'Crown Princesses' from the moment:

- S.A.R. la Princesa Mathilde de Bélgica, Duquesa de Brabant
- S.A.R. la Princesa Máxima de los Paísos Bajos, Princesa de Orange-Nassau

How about TRH the Duke and Duchess of Brabant or TRH the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg? Considering the altercation between the Italians at the Crown Prince's wedding, I don't think that either Italian branch will be considered for this honor.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

I would say Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Haakon. But I thought Catholics were only allowed to chose Catholics to be godparents for their children (which is silly in my opinon) because who you chose as godparents should reflect on why the parents want them to be the godparents and not have to worry about whether or not they are catholic. Its like me saying tomy methodist cousin I would ask you to the godmother of my child but I can't.....because you're not Catholic. I mean come on!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM
Courtier

Perhaps, Infant Helena and Beltran Gomez Acebo, Prince Felipe's Cousin
Old 09-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadiyah2086
I would say Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Haakon. But I thought Catholics were only allowed to chose Catholics to be godparents for their children (which is silly in my opinon) because who you chose as godparents should reflect on why the parents want them to be the godparents and not have to worry about whether or not they are catholic. Its like me saying tomy methodist cousin I would ask you to the godmother of my child but I can't.....because you're not Catholic. I mean come on!
Godparents are chosen as the religious and spiritual parents of the children in the Catholic church. A baby baptised in the Catholic Church must have godparents who are practicing Catholics.

Phillipe and Mathilde or Henri and Maria Theresa are great choices.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
Godparents are chosen as the religious and spiritual parents of the children in the Catholic church. A baby baptised in the Catholic Church must have godparents who are practicing Catholics.
It`s not completely true. I have a catholic godchild, though I´m lutheran. But I had to be baptised.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I have a question about that...
I'm catholic as well and I thought the godparents had to be catholic, but I remembered Pablo Nicolas, the second son of Infanta Cristina; his godparents are Princess Alexia and Prince Kubrat, he's catholic but Alexia is ortodox so I'm kind of confused about that

And I don't think the baby's godparents are gonna be foreign royals, it's not the custom in the SRF
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilytornado
It`s not completely true. I have a catholic godchild, though I´m lutheran. But I had to be baptised.
You can have a second godparent who is a practicing Christian, but at least one of the godparents must be a practicing Roman Catholic. One of my son's godparents is my cousin, who like you is a Lutheran, but we did have to choose a Roman Catholic as well.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear

Phillipe and Mathilde or Henri and Maria Theresa are great choices.
Much better choices than Albert and Caroline
Old 09-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

My choice is

Pavlos of Greece and Telma Ortiz.

An alternative choice is Konstantin of Bulgaria and Infanta Elena (only because she is an older sister. I think she will feel sad if Felipe has Cristina before her).
Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaK
An alternative choice is Konstantin of Bulgaria and Infanta Elena (only because she is an older sister. I think she will feel sad if Felipe has Cristina before her).
I was thinking the same thing. If Felipe and Letizia chose one of his sisters to be a godparent, I think it would be Elena based on the simple fact that she's older.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:24 AM
Courtier

Re Prcss Alexia: Didn't she convert when she married Carlos? Maybe that's the reason she was chosen as a godparent for Pablo? Maybe Princess Sibylla of Luxembourg? She's related to Felipe through their great-grandparents, Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenie, and she's Catholic, so she or her husband Guillaume (the elder, or even the HGD would be nice) would be nice choices.
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Heir Apparent

As far as I know, Alexia's still orthodox, she married in an Orthodox ceremony even though I think her children are being raised catholic...