The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Spain > Prince and Princess of Asturias and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Vanity Fair octubre 2011: Amanda Hearst desembarca en España | Vanity Fair

The Spanish Vanity Fair has an article about the education of Infantas Leonor & Sofia.

I guess school education apart, the girls live in an unreal world, surrounded by unreal people and unreal situations, as most other royal children do.... it's difficult, how can they be aware of the world in which their subjects live without getting arrogant and ignorant (what most adult royals = parents are) since they dont have to deal with any problems of the real world. I imagine that no classmate in school can quarrel with royal children since any encounter is likely to be transformed into threats and warnings. I doubt Leonor & Sofia will play with other children outside the family or close social circle, the school & Zarzuela are pretty much closed shop.

It must be hard or sad when they discover that there is a life in the outside world, they might have the best school education, preparation and speak English at the age of three but will not know how to go buy a loaf of bread because they are surrounded by bodyguards or assistants, with media not far away.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

About the education of Leonor and Sofia. The girls are learning english and chinese + gallego, euskera y catalán.
La estricta educación de doña Letizia a sus hijas

Old 09-21-2011, 03:37 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Vanity Fair octubre 2011: Amanda Hearst desembarca en España | Vanity Fair

The Spanish Vanity Fair has an article about the education of Infantas Leonor & Sofia.

I guess school education apart, the girls live in an unreal world, surrounded by unreal people and unreal situations, as most other royal children do.... it's difficult, how can they be aware of the world in which their subjects live without getting arrogant and ignorant (what most adult royals = parents are) since they dont have to deal with any problems of the real world. I imagine that no classmate in school can quarrel with royal children since any encounter is likely to be transformed into threats and warnings. I doubt Leonor & Sofia will play with other children outside the family or close social circle, the school & Zarzuela are pretty much closed shop.

It must be hard or sad when they discover that there is a life in the outside world, they might have the best school education, preparation and speak English at the age of three but will not know how to go buy a loaf of bread because they are surrounded by bodyguards or assistants, with media not far away.
I failed to see what point you are trying to make. If Leonor and Sofía were normal children; Will you be discussing them in a "Royal Forum"?. We live our reality and not someone's elses. These two girls were born in the Spanish Royal Family that is why they have a different way of life and different experiences. We all live different lives, according to our social class. Please!
Old 09-22-2011, 05:21 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

La estricta educacin de doa Letizia a sus hijas

Don't these girls have a father Felipe will play an even more important role in Leonor's education than her mother but well

It makes sense to teach your children not to accept gifts what is not exactly a royal issue but also applies to "normal" children; I am inclined not to believe that a four - respectivley five year old have Chinese classes, formal English (credible), Galician, Euskera and Catalan and history lessons of Spain and the Bourbons, surf the internet and download stuff on an ipod plus school plus sports ... sounds like superwoman and elastigirl in the making ....
Its all a bit much and if its true indeed, all I can say is poor girls.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
La estricta educacin de doa Letizia a sus hijas

Don't these girls have a father Felipe will play an even more important role in Leonor's education than her mother but well

It makes sense to teach your children not to accept gifts what is not exactly a royal issue but also applies to "normal" children; I am inclined not to believe that a four - respectivley five year old have Chinese classes, formal English (credible), Galician, Euskera and Catalan and history lessons of Spain and the Bourbons, surf the internet and download stuff on an ipod plus school plus sports ... sounds like superwoman and elastigirl in the making ....
Its all a bit much and if its true indeed, all I can say is poor girls.
The article said the ipod story was a rumor, it probably confused with the story of JC receiving an ipod from one of his children as a birthday gift a few years ago.
Leonor and Sofia have a British governess to learn English, they also have Chinese lessons each week, that's nothing new. The article said Letizia wanted her girls to learn Galician and Euskera, they haven't started the lessons yet. They probably haven't had formal Catalan lessons either. Letizia has been learning Catalan herself, maybe the girls were taught by their parents to say some simple greetings. Catalan is very easy for the native Spanish speaker, they can learn it later unlike English and Chinese in order to have a good accent.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 AM

Leonor - rather like the eldest royal daughters of Belgium and Holland - projects a calm and happy-in-her-own skin impression in her photos and public appearances. Maybe that's partly how first-born daughters usually are by nature. But it also reflects well on the children themselves and their parents. Contrast this with the public melt-downs we have seen from Leonor’s cousins Irene and Victoria Federika, one similar age, one older. I sympathise with the fact that the media is stressful but probably the no-crying-in-public rule they say Leonor’s parents have made is a good one and actually protects her and her sister Sophia.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
Leonor - rather like the eldest royal daughters of Belgium and Holland - projects a calm and happy-in-her-own skin impression in her photos and public appearances. Maybe that's partly how first-born daughters usually are by nature. But it also reflects well on the children themselves and their parents. Contrast this with the public melt-downs we have seen from Leonor’s cousins Irene and Victoria Federika, one similar age, one older. I sympathise with the fact that the media is stressful but probably the no-crying-in-public rule they say Leonor’s parents have made is a good one and actually protects her and her sister Sophia.
I dont think thats true. You can almost count the public appearances of Leonor & Sofia on one hand (most on some kind of official events) while Irene (when still living in Spain) and Victoria are subject to paparazzi photos basically within their everyday life.

My guess is that if especially Sofia was in Victoria's position, we'd see the odd "melt-down" from her, too since she seems to be less controlled or more emotional than her sister Leonor.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:21 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I dont think thats true. You can almost count the public appearances of Leonor & Sofia on one hand (most on some kind of official events) while Irene (when still living in Spain) and Victoria are subject to paparazzi photos basically within their everyday life.
Duke, I disagree. Leonor & Sofia are, together with their mother, the paparazzis objective. They sell...and in today's market economy, that's all it counts.

Being number 2 and 3 to the throne, makes a difference however. The difference of "very special kids" but with parents wanting to let them enjoy their childhood as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with Felipe and Letizia trying to do that for their kids.

I don't know how long you've followed the SRF. I've done so all my life and remember when Elena, Cristina y Felipe were small - there were never that many fotographs of them - 3 or 4 fotoshoots a year and that was it. Believe it or not, certain things in the SRF do not change.

As to the Vanity Fair Spain article, I will take it with a grain of salt. If I'm not mistaken this is the same magazine that announced to have an "exclusive" with the Princes of Asturias, only to be found that there was never an exclusive or even an interview.

The education of Leonor is a matter of State, like her father was. It's logical to think that the girls will be learning, at SOME POINT, catalan, gallego and euskera - it's what the political landscape of Spain requires today. It's also logical that they are bilingual in English - the SRF has always been. Grandma Sofia spoke to her children in English and it follows she'll do the same with her grandchildren. Lets also not forget that the children have an English speaking nanny.

There is NO Letizia making all the decisions about the education of the children. Considering that Leonor, hopefully, will be the Queen Regnant after Isabel II in more than 100 years, her education is way above her mother.

Yet again, please take what you read with a grain of salt.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Commoner

Quote:
This link info is a fake, that website is a satiric one, they invent funny news as if they are true. The "news" says: Infanta Leonor asks to cut the head to a boy of her class. I just find this a bad taste joke, it's not funny, the joke has second intentions.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 PM
Aristocracy

It's obvious the article is fake and while it doesn't bothers me I don't find it very funny with all the "puta"s that appear. I don't know why it's posted here.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I've heard it is not true that the girls are learning chinese. I personally find hard to believe that they are taking chinese classes.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Royal Highness

It´s amazing and utterly disgusting how some sectors of the press make up stories that involve children. I can understand that the two infantitas as well as other members of th Royal Family are interesting items to most people, but everything should have some boundaries.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just think that these two girls never appear in normal life...going to a park, going for a walk, play with other children outside...the should be doing all these things inside the palace, it is very rare to see then outside the Palace...that is very bad for them, for heir education and since they are so young they need to know the real world...
Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

La infanta Sofa inspira una nueva pelcula de Disney
Apparently Sofia jr. has become the inspiration for a Disney character.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:58 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
La infanta Sofa inspira una nueva pelcula de Disney
Apparently Sofia jr. has become the inspiration for a Disney character.

I cannot see any similarity as the article mantions, apart from the name.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Serene Highness

Location: desde mi ventana veo gibraltar español,reino de espaÑa, Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
I cannot see any similarity as the article mantions, apart from the name.
The youngest of the Princes of Asturias could have been the inspiration for the popular cartoon factory.

INFORMATIVOS | Sociedad - La Infanta Sofía, ¿una princesa Disney? - Noticias

La Lengua acompañó al Imperio (Antonio de Nebrija)
The Language
accompanied to the Empire (Antonio de Nebrija)

Old 12-24-2011, 01:56 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

The same name but I dont see the similarity..
Old 04-12-2012, 03:19 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Leonor & Sofia on the magazine covers after Easter.
http://www.vanitatis.com/fotos/album...4111semana.jpg
http://www.vanitatis.com/fotos/album...47lecturas.jpg

To me, Leonor more and more looks like her dad, she's got his mouth & teeth & will have some type of crooked nose, either Borbon (like Felipe or JC) or Ortiz (used to have).
Sofia has gotten very pretty, she reminds me a lot of Cristina. She will be very tall, has already caught up with her sister, with a compact stature, easy for her to keep up with the sporty history of the Borbons, like skiing or sailing.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Royal Highness

Whilst Leonor is a classic beauty, her little sister Sofia is the one that has more appeal to me. Maybe because she does show some emotions. She reminds me a lot of Infanta Cristina at her age and she is going to be taller than her sister, I think.
Whereas, Í dote over Elena´s children and Cristina´s because they are more natural in any situation, I feel those two little girls only appear in either posed photos or in situations where they are holding hands to father or mother. I know they are higher up as far as their cousins are concerned, but when all the kids have been in Mallorca, I only saw one photo (last summer) where they were truly being themselves and delighted by the funny faces and acting up of their cousin Pablo.