First anniversary of the Abdication and Proclamation: June 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ANNIE_S

Heir Apparent
City
-
Country
Spain
Spanish television tonight.

La 1 de TVE en directo - RTVE.es (spanish tv )

21.30 spanish hour.

Pablo Iglesias y Albert Rivera, en el especial sobre el Rey Felipe VI de «Informe semanal»

Saturday June 13, "Informe Semanal" issued the monograph "The year of King Philip." An issue with which La 1 TVE remember the generational change in the leadership of the state and the Crown, which occurred with the abdication of King Juan Carlos I and the proclamation of Don Felipe VI.

First anniversary of the proclamation

According to several media, from tomorrow they will publish photos and images on the day of the Royal Family.

The Royal House has distributed photos and a video of almost two hours for the press.

RTVE analiza el primer año del rey Felipe VI con una programación especial - RTVE.es
Mañana en DIEZMINUTOS.ES lo nunca visto de Felipe y Letizia - Diez Minutos

Audiencia abierta 13.30 spanish hour,this afteroon.

La 1 de TVE en directo - RTVE.es

First anniversary of the proclamation

According to several media, from tomorrow they will publish photos and images on the day of the Royal Family.

The Royal House has distributed photos and a video of almost two hours for the press.

RTVE analiza el primer año del rey Felipe VI con una programación especial - RTVE.es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug2TGAo3BS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YVw0EhSTbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptuNJ0yW6Hw

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a saccharine charm-offensive to placate crowds? Does it mean that ratings are bad? It would be fair to say that PR of the Spanish royal family is clumsy.

61.5% support for the monarchy in Spain? Wow. Of cource agree Mbruno it is a personal win for the King.

That is Marengo a very high number . I beleive the new King is more carefull and he don't make the mistakes of his father.

Felipe sure he make mistakes after all is a human. But with this father he have a big example whta he must to avoiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a saccharine charm-offensive to placate crowds? Does it mean that ratings are bad? It would be fair to say that PR of the Spanish royal family is clumsy.

I see nothing saccharine or charm offensive about these images and videos. In any event, that is the sort of thing elected leaders tend to go for - King Felipe is more serious and subtle than that as far as I can tell.

King Felipe seems to be a very "stately" King, I like how he works and his seriousness and it is good to see him going about his day to day business. It was also nice to see what goes on inside the palace, his office, the audiences etc.

61.5 % support for the monarchy would be a low rating by British, Dutch or Danish standards, but it is not so far from current support for the monarchy in Sweden (which is about 67 %). I guess it is a personal win for King Felipe VI.
The support rating last year, shortly before the abdication, was just a little over 40% so yes, it's a big improvement.

I see nothing saccharine or charm offensive about these images and videos. In any event, that is the sort of thing elected leaders tend to go for - King Felipe is more serious and subtle than that as far as I can tell.

I think he does what people in office usually do, elected or not. You have to have the public on your side. Its about coming across as trustworthy and reliable, an asset for the country. Everything is in the pictures: happy family, nice kids, a good rapport to the future Queen, hardworking, the image of a good king. After JC Felipe starts from scratch in that respect, and those pictures certainly help. Its PR, nothing else, and the first anniversary is a perfect opportunity.

In all three monarchies which saw abdications, all three Kings saw excellent approval ratings in their first year. That has more to do with seeing a fresh, new face after decades of the same head of state. Everything seems new, energized, etc. A close look learns that only on details there are changes here and there, but simply the idea seeing someone else than a Juan Carlos after almost 40 years already is "new" and "refreshing". Mind you, people often already become "tired" from a President in his first, let alone second, term....

It is hard to say if it is Felipe himself, as this phenomenon (a raise in public approval) is visible in all three monarchies which saw an abdication, no matter the background or circumstances of the abdication or the personal character of the new monarchs.

King Felipe seems to be a very "stately" King, I like how he works and his seriousness and it is good to see him going about his day to day business. It was also nice to see what goes on inside the palace, his office, the audiences etc.
It is my personal subjective impression. In truth, I find PR campaigns in the western enlightened regimes cringing. They lack artful subtlety. It is amusing to see plebeians in the aforementioned regimes being happy with such campaigns.

61.5 % support for the monarchy would be a low rating by British, Dutch or Danish standards, but it is not so far from current support for the monarchy in Sweden (which is about 67 %). I guess it is a personal win for King Felipe VI.

One saw those results of Sweden?

One saw those results of Sweden?

Those figures were posted a while ago in the thread on "Popularity of the Monarchy in Sweden". They may be higher now, but I don't know for sure.

It is my personal subjective impression. In truth, I find PR campaigns in the western enlightened regimes cringing. They lack artful subtlety. It is amusing to see plebeians in the aforementioned regimes being happy with such campaigns.

Maybe Felipe should have ridden topless like Putin, I'm pretty sure the rates would be even higher :lol:

Thank you everyone for sharing the photos and videos. :flowers:
I think this is a nice idea. The video of the collection of events felt a bit like I was watching a "behind the scenes" of Felipe's first year on the throne as the clips were done in a more informal way.

My favourite was of course the video of Leonor, Sofia and Letizia welcoming Felipe after his visit to Aachen. It was cute when Leonor was asking Felipe about the history of the town and asked if Charlemagne was King before Jesus and laughed when Felipe said he was born after Jesus. I also liked the clip of Felipe and Letizia on the train, which looked as if it were a public one. It's nice that the royals get public transport nowadays instead of the royal trains. I remember reading once that here in England, the Wessexes travelled on economy class to one of their holidays.

Maybe Felipe should have ridden topless like Putin, I'm pretty sure the rates would be even higher :lol:
The PR in question was equally cringing and was/is mocked by many in the foreign press. The downgraded European bloodlines should be more skillful marketing themselves to the subjects.

Well, they can't make everyone happy. I thought it was tasteful made. Ces't la vie.

I strongly disagree. EVERY royal or politician does the same type of appearance during a special anniversary or country holiday event. It is something that citizens not only expect but enjoy. You must be reading the wrong papers because King Felipe's ratings have risen quite nicely nice taking over from his father. Clumsy, I don't think so. In fact I found it quite natural in comparing to other royals with stiff "official" family shots. Actual, now, they seem to be a loving family with sweet children. Good for them.

I think he does what people in office usually do, elected or not. You have to have the public on your side. Its about coming across as trustworthy and reliable, an asset for the country. Everything is in the pictures: happy family, nice kids, a good rapport to the future Queen, hardworking, the image of a good king. After JC Felipe starts from scratch in that respect, and those pictures certainly help. Its PR, nothing else, and the first anniversary is a perfect opportunity.

Agree D of M. It is a serious part of the job and was done nicely. Rather something like that then a half hour of royals coming out for prearranged photo shot, which to me always seemed cold and "lets get it over with so be can enjoy the rest of the day" type of thing.

The PR in question was equally cringing and was/is mocked by many in the foreign press. The downgraded European bloodlines should be more skillful marketing themselves to the subjects.

Who in the world cares what foreign press thinks. Most of them are "cringe worthy" in both private lives and their public opinions. The only people that are important are the actual citizen of Spain. He is their King. They are the only ones he must answer to at all times. They also enjoyed the videos so he did his job for them.

I wholeheartedly agree with your comment on the downgraded European bloodlines. This is a core erosion of what royal still means and the best gift for any republican.

Last edited:
Nice that there is an agreement on blood and pedigree. Now, perhaps we can return to the topic of this thread, which is the first anniversary of king Felipe's reign.

Those interested in the discussion commoners vs royals can continue that here.

People interested in political debates about democracy vs. dictatorship may be better served in a political forum, which TRF is not.

Last edited:
Who in the world cares what foreign press thinks. Most of them are "cringe worthy" in both private lives and their public opinions. The only people that are important are the actual citizen of Spain. He is their King. They are the only ones he must answer to at all times. They also enjoyed the videos so he did his job for them.

My thougts exactly!

[...] They also enjoyed the videos so he did his job for them.

Heu... your quote puzzled me. Is it the King's job to make videos for Spaniards? And how did you know the Spaniards "enjoyed the videos"?

:flowers:

Tomorrow, coinciding with the first anniversary of the proclamation, King Felipe and Queen Letizia deliver the Royal Orders of Civil Merit at the Royal Palace .

Honorees will be about 40 people unknown to the majority of public opinion, but who have provided or provide a relevant service to others.

Los h?roes an?nimos del Rey - ABC.es

Los Reyes pasar?n su aniversario con los h?roes cotidianos | loc | EL MUNDO

The 38 decorated by the King

Los 38 condecorados por el Rey - ABC.es

https://translate.google.es/transla...18/abci--201506181736.html&edit-text=&act=url

Last edited:
While watching a video of the coronation /inauguration from last year, I just noticed during all the handshaking that the men shook hands with the ladies differently than with the men. The took the lady's hand and made one sharp downward motion, but when shaking the hands of the other men, it was just a normal handshake. Is there a significance to the difference?

Back
Top Bottom